“Don't waste your money” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York
“Don't waste your money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband and I are well travelled in the Caribbean and have always stayed at 5 star hotels. This is not a 5 star hotel. Maybe a 2 at best. Pro's: Grounds are very pretty and well kept; the Villas are beautiful; the Spa was very nice. The massages and facial were good.
The room they first gave us was in the "Fortress". If you want total isolation, and quiet, than this is for you. Otherwise forget it! It's too far from the main restaraunts, pools and beach. After complaining, we were upgraded to a very expensive villa because nothing else was available. Yeah right. The villa was beautiful, right on the water. The deck was huge. The master bath bathroom is not air-conditioned because there's an outdoor soaking tub, but they should have closed it off. Beware of crabs getting into the villa. My husband was awakened by the clicking of crab legs on the floor of our bedroom at night. The electrical outlets in the villa are faulty. At times they would work and sometimes not. The food was just okay. At the Wok, we asked for hot saki and got hot white wine!!! The Blue Marlin is good for lunch but service and qualitity of food for dinner is horrible. Breakfast is okay. The Buffet lunch is the same every day. Steakhouse just okay. Italian was horrible. Food was cold and the menu is all pasta. Room Service was good for breakfast.
Beach; what beach? Very small. In the beginning of the week there were top brand liquors. By the end of the week none to be found except at the "Love Bar" in the main building away from the pool and beach.
The staff in the restaraunts do not understand English. They just nod and are programmed to say, "How can I help you".
No nightlife. Casino was closed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank NewYorkLuvs2travel
MarcoPena, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion TripAdvisor. Our ultimate goal is to always to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations, so please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. We pride ourselves on providing clean, luxurious accommodations to our guests and sincerely apologize that you experienced any inconveniences during your stay.

Let's begin with your accommodations, if you reserve a Castle Junior Swim out this is what we provide to ensure that we comply with your reservation request. Our facility is only 176 guestrooms and all though small in the quantity of rooms but it is well spread out to create a romantic spots and the peace and quite that most of our guest seek. I understand that you felt that you where in a abandoned part of the resort but I can assure you that this is not the case. In the fortress we have the SPA, Wok Restaurant, Juanillo Beach, Water Sports and the best part of it all the Ocean Club Bar Terrace with an infinity pool.

Furthermore, I have shared your opinion with our Executive Chef Mr. Pascal Messier and he has been monitoring closely our restaurants and food preparation. I am somewhat surprised with the comment of the dinner menu of the Blue Marlin as it is new and lobster is also included. Nevertheless he shall continue to monitor this closely as it is our goal to completely meet or exceed guest expectations.

Once again we thank you for sharing your opinion as this is a great tool for us to improve upon. We hope that in the future we are allowed the opportunity to host you as a guest at our resort.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,184)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Clinton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

We returned April 3rd and I still get glassy-eyed thinking about our trip! It was the first time we booked a vacation almost four months in advance, and I was afraid the actual trip wouldn't stand up to the anticipation---how I love being wrong! Granted, there are a few areas that can be improved, such as it seems the 'welcoming' procedure can be a little smoother, as some guests received drinks and cold towels right upon arrival, while others (like ourselves) received a towel while we were actually checking in. Not a big deal in the scheme of things. We did end up changing our initial room, since there were issues with the shower and the tub, but this was not a problem and we LOVED our room change to the Castle---AMAZING! My boyfriend and I both thought the food was pretty good by AI standards and we just cannot say enough about the staff and management! My boyfriend does speak Spanish with a Dominican dialect (despite being Irish from the Bronx), but I had no problems trying to communicate in my poor excuse for Spanish and English. I also have a tendency to be a mosquito attractant---mosquitos can zero in on me in the dead of winter through all the snow in Central NY. While I made sure to bring repellant, I am happy to report I did not suffer any type of bug bite and did not have to use repellant once!

I was a big fan of the scented oil that was burned in the open spaces--very pleasing even to a person (myself) who is sensitive to scents and perfumes. I see some people had issues with the pools not being heated, but I thought the coolness of the pools was quite refreshing in 80+ degree weather. Incidentally, the pools were immaculate and not crowded. While the beach on grounds is small, the staff do a great job keeping it clean and we enjoyed alternating the pools and the beach. If I had to make one detail-oriented suggestion--I am not a big fan of 'silky-type' robes for a variety of reasons. One being that I sometimes am chilly even in heat, and another is that I just don't like the texture. I would have much preferred a light cotton waffle-weave robe in the room, but at least in the spa. The spa, by the way, was beautiful and relaxing. We both completely enjoyed the relaxing, non-crowded atmosphere and attentive service of the entire resort, and would consider returning to SSCC in the future--thank you everyone who works at SSCC for a fabulous and much-needed vacation!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa-and-John07
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor, we appreciate you taken the time from your busy schedule. On behalf of the entire staff and management we are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our resort.

We shall continue to monitor the welcoming procedure as it is our goal to make sure that all of our guest have an excellente experience at our resort.

We look forward to your return visit.

mapena@secrertsresorts.com
Burlingame, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

My girlfriend and I recently returned from our trip to Secrets and we can't say enough good things about our trip. First off I should say what we were looking for. We wanted a relaxing beach vacation with nice pools, nice oceans, no kids and a resort that offered everything onsite so we didn't have to leave. After reading through lots of reviews we finally settled on Secrets as we felt it met our requirements best. We stayed for 7 nights, only left the resort once (to do the Marinarium snorkeling trip) and really never ran out of stuff to do.

About the trip.
After flying into Punta Cana Airport we took a short 15 minute cab ride to the resort. We were surprised that the entire Cap Cana area is gated off and as we pulled up to the huge castle resort we were immediately impressed. The landscaping and architecture is extremely nice. As soon as we walked through the doors we were greeted with a smile and treated to excellent service (this continued throughout the entire trip).

Our room
We were lucky enough to get upgraded to an Ocean front Monarch Villa. We stayed in room 1002 which is on a private beach shared by only a few other villas. Our deck and doors opened directly onto the ocean and we were only a few steps from the sand and ocean. This was our favorite part of the trip, having a private sitting area where we could relax and watch the sea. Each morning was a treat as we opened our drapes to see the perfect sunny beach view. The villa had huge wood beam ceilings and two large rooms including a huge living room, walk in closet, Huge two person bathroom with an amazing shower and tub. It really didn't feel like a hotel room but rather a beach house complete with dining table, couches, stocked refrigerator and HUUGE bed.

The resort.
By far the biggest selling point was the overall lack of crowds. The resort is extremely spacious and spread out but because there is so few rooms/villas (170?) It never feels crowded, even when its booked to capacity. Having been to previous resorts I can't say how big a deal this is and how much it effects the quality of the trip. We never had to worry about getting a spot by the pool, there were ample recliners to choose from at the main pool, in addition there were always great options on the private beach including beds, hammocks and loungers. The main pool is great with its swim up bar and activities going on but the other pools are equally impressive. I particularly liked the pool with the water wall (which actually is two pools) these were typically very sparsely used although they also had drink and food service. The castle pool is a little walk but it has great views as well as a very private setting. The small feel of the resort also made dining an easy going experience. We could walk up to any of the many restaurants and bars and eat or drink without having to worry about reservations or crowds. It was not uncommon to come upon areas of the resort without seeing another person. There was no competition for seating or any crowds to deal with, so we were truly able to relax, free from any worries. The Spa was amazing, we both had massages and she had a wrap. After our treatments were over we took advantage of the different saunas, hot tubs, plunge pools as well as out door water treatment that included a very nice fresh water pool and lounge area. Again, the whole time we were at the spa we really didn't see other's but only a few times. We felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. Each day there is a variety of activities you can take part in. The staff plans them out and leads groups throughout the days. They range from things like morning yoga, water aerobics, bike rides, volleyball games, bocce, ping pong, etc. Each night they also have movies on the beach, projected on a large screen. If you are looking for more activities you can walk over to Juanillo beach which is located on the other side of the Castle part of the resort and offered seemingly miles of pure white sand beaches and calm shallow water. This is a public beach, although it was extremely private as well. We spent some time there a few days, the sand and ocean is perfect there and there are things like a water trampoline as well as kayaks, windsurfing and snorkeling you can use (free of charge for guests of the hotel). Some of the food and drinks can be hit or miss although it's truly difficult to complain about food when you are overlooking a teal blue beach with cool breeze. Among our favorites were the Wok- we ate there a few times- everything was great. Both the Hibatchi (Benihana style) and the outdoor menu were great. Surprisingly the Sushi was excellent as well. The steak house and Italian restaurant was good if not great and the Blue Marlin served a variety of fresh seafood with insane Panorama ocean views. Overall the seafood was always good every shrimp dish I had was excellent- they always tasted so fresh.

Typical day.
We'd wake up-- either have room service and eat on our porch or head down to Casa Bella. After breakfast we'd pick a place by the main pool. Our favorite spot was between the pool bar and the Blue Marlin restaurant. After reading some and soaking in as much sun as we could take, we'd spend some time lounging in the pool, floating around or standing on the steps with a ice cold tropical drink in our hand. After drying off a bit we might head to the beach for a swim, the water was gentle and warm and you can float or stand easily on the soft sand. After a few more cocktails and time lounging we would either order some food (great club sandwiches and hamburgers) and eat poolside or we'd head over to the Blue Marlin if we were looking to get out of the sun for a bit. After lunch we'd usually head to one of the other pools for a few hours (drinks, floating, sunbathing, reading) by then we'd head back to the main pool and the ocean for another swim in the sea. By then we'd head back to our room where we'd get ready for dinner. After a long relaxing dinner we'd have a few cocktails in the lobby bar- usually checking out the entertainment or just strolling around the grounds. Wake up, repeat.

The Staff.
The staff was among the nicest i've ever met. Each and every person we encountered was pleasant and was happy to assist in any way they could. Dievi, Bernardino, and the entire pool staff were great. Frank, Usher and Willy Wonka were truly committed to helping everyone have a good time- they worked all day to organize activities and interact with all of the guests and then help out with the entertainment at night. The front desk staff was always helpful, including the concierge who helped us book our dinner on the beach and snorkeling excursion.

Overall if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, all inclusive tropical vacation secrets is a great choice. At times it felt like we were occupying our own private town complete with bars and restaurants and beaches and pools. It was so nice to have everything taken care of for us. We didn't have to worry about taxi cabs and arranging meals or any of the other stresses of a trip- instead we were free to enjoy our time and relax.

You can view all of our photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61151202@N08/sets/72157626327303423/

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ronoledo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

We were very pleased with our stay. The hotel grounds are amazing...bright, colorful flowers, green bushes, tall palm trees....gorgeous. When we checked in we were automatically upgraded without a charge to an amazing two room villa on the ocean with a semi-private beach. The villas was modern and very comfortable and the view on our porch was worth every penny we paid. The service was outstanding. Everyone from the head chef to the bellmen were eager to make sure you were happy and willing to go above and beyond to meet any needs.

The restaurants were very good, especially the steakhouse and Asain. You didn't need reservations and had no problem getting in. They had several of our favorite bottles of wine for a very reasonable price.

The hotel helped us book several excursions, including deep sea fishing and scuba diving. We booked a private romantic dinner on the beach and it was our best meal of the week.

The staff were top notch. The head chef, Pascal, spoke to us on several occasions and made excellent recommendations. The head concierge, Kary, was amazing. She gave us a personal cell phone so we could reach her anytime and she truly made our stay very special. Richard, from room service, went above and beyond to stock our room with ice and snacks.

There were several nice touches in the hotel. Each night we had roses displayed on our bed. We got whatever liquor we asked for ( I know some of the reviews complained about that but we drank Grey Groose vodka and had a bottle of crown royal delivered to our room ). We really can't think of anything wor complaining about and we travel all the time. The weather was perfect and we had An amazing week. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Permanenthoneymoon
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor, we greatly appreciate that you shared with others and it is nice to see mention of our Executive Chef Mr. Pascal Messier visiting you during dinner and making suggestions.

Kary and the concierge team send their regards and wish for a prompt return. Once again, thank you for sharing and we look forward to your revisit to Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana.

mapena@secrertsresorts.com
Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

My husband and I just left this resort yesterday. We had our wedding here on April 9, 2011. Can I say that the resort provided, not only a wonderful staff but went above and beyond the additional services that we paid for. The resort ensured that not only did we have a great time, but that the 6 of our guest were entertained and well taken care of. I would first like to compliment the resort on choosing such a wonderful lady named Kary Gomez as their Chief Concierge, she was the most caring, kind, and overall loving person that we could have ever wished to interact with over our 9 day stay at Secrets. She went out of her way to make sure that we were getting taken care of in every aspect of both our wedding and overall vacation experience. She even got us an upgrade from the Jr. Suite Ocean Front to the Fortress with a Pool in our room. This young women deserves a raise!

Secondly, our wedding planner Maria Augusto was also wonderful, initially I went through 4 other wedding planners at this resort, but I have to say that Maria made up for the rest. She understood how we wanted things to go for our wedding and made them happen. When we had initially sat with her we said that it was fine for our party of 8 to eat at the Blue Marlin with the other guest for our wedding dinner. So we expected to just have a table reserved for our 8 during the dinner hours. Maria suprised us by having the restaurant completely closed for just the 8 of us. The extremely nice Canadian Chief came out and told us what our special menu was for just us. We could not have wished for a better ending to our wedding day....or so we thought. Maria was excellente'. We even said to each other we could do it all over again. This was the best most relaxed experience that we have ever had.

Third, I have to say that the entertainment staff including Frank the Tank, Bambino (Supervisor), Usher, Kayla, and the DJ at the Love Lounge made sure that us and our guest were entertained at all times. Also, we had not planned on having a reception, but we did! We went to the Love Lounge after our wonderful dinner just planning on dancing to a couple of songs, but Frank the Tank and the DJ ensured that our wedding songs were played. All the guest that were at the Love Lounge that night celebrated with us and we truly enjoyed having everyone apart of our wedding day celebration.

Fourth, and last but not the least the staff including, Moreno (Pool Bar), Gracie, Homie, Workin(WOK), Juan (Love Lounge-Night) were truly enjoyable and made the best beverages and had the best most optimistic attitudes.

We truly thank the staff for their hard work and work ethic. The people that work here make the resort one of the best we have ever had the pleasure to stay at. See you guys next year for our 1st Anniversary.

Thanks,

Jay and Vittoria Pruitt

2 Thank LoveIt1203
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, on behalf of the entire staff at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana we Congratulate each of you for your life commitment to each other.

Secondly, thank you for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor, I personally love to see the stories from the guest that celebrate their wedding at our resort. Its is truly a great place to get married and its really nice to know that you trusted our team of professionals with this very important day in your life.

Maria, Kary, Moreno (Pool Bar), Gracie, Homie, Workin(WOK), Juan (Love Lounge-Night), Frank the Tank, Bambino (Supervisor), Usher, Kayla, and the DJ send their regards and hope to see you soon.

It will be our pleasure to have you once again to celebrate your one year anniversary at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana.

mapena@secretsresorts.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

I just returned from Secrets Sanctuary a few days ago and it was amazing! The service was outstanding---I have never seen anything like it in the United States! They would pull out your chair, place a napkin on your lap, open hand you the menu and open it for you, and the moment your glass was getting low, they would be over for a refill. Everyone spoke English (and Spanish) and we had no problems communicating with any of the staff. The room was a lot better than expected (since we stayed in one of the least expensive rooms on the property--Castle Junior Suites). The only thing that may have stood out as slightly negative would be that there was a slight smell when we first got into the room (I think from the air conditioner/stone walls) and they didn't have many hangers in the closet. The property was beautiful! The restaurants were amazing! My favorite meals were at the Steakhouse and the Wok. The drinks were great---I tried all of the "drink of the day" drinks. The best part was the entertainment staff---Frank, Usher, Gabino, Willy Wonka, Keyla---because if you don't plan to leave the resort, the entertainment is the most important part. I participated in most of the activities each day and thought they had a good selection. I am in my mid/upper 20s though and if you are twice my age you may not have enjoyed some of the activities as much. There was a show every night at 9:45 and during our stay we saw a couple of dancing groups, a magician, singer, and a bartender that juggled bottles (some were on fire). Morning Yoga at the Blue Marlin was the best! It was held in a building that was out on the water....perfect setting just listening to the ocean!

Yateley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

Exceptional service, facilities, food, cleanliness but above all the consistent friendly/helpful staff who at all times ensured that all our needs were looked after.

Room Tip: simply just state your requirements when booking