“Almost Perfect - Highly rated”

The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Almost Perfect - Highly rated”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I stayed here for 6 nights up until xmas eve, and I must say it is the best all inclusive hotel I have stayed in. The hotel room is excellent, upon arrival we were given an introduction from our butler who was faultless. We were even given a menu to pick what type of pillows we wanted. The resort itself was very large, the pool and beach were lovely. The food was good from the different buffets scattered across the complex. However the Gourmet Restaurant was top notch with a good waitered service. You can get smoked salmon for breakfast, angus beef for lunch and a fantastic choice of seafood in the evening. If you ever stray too far from your room there is a convienient free taxi style service that will pick you up from anywhere in the resort and take you anywhere you wish. The only negatives were;
Night time entertainment was lacking, there only seems to be live entertainment between 10pm-11pm.
The pool was very cold - we did stay in December so as expected but would be nice if it was heated.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank willmath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Stayed at the RST for our honeymoon the second week of October. We were very impressed with the resorts. The food takes some getting used to, but we had no stomach issues. The royal gourmet is definitely the best place to eat. We tried others and enjoyed the Japanese restaurant, but we ended up eating the last few meals at the royal gourmet.

Our room was very nice and was always clean. We ordered breakfast to our room everyday and it was always delicious. We did have a problem with the power cutting off a few times. The staff was very quick in responding and had a repair man at our room within five min! We were given two massages for the trouble after I asked. We had just had a couples massage (which was unbelievable) so the spa agreed to swap the massages for a facial for my wife. The spa is very nice too and you have free access if you stay at the RST. Very relaxing and a decent fitness center.

The pool and beach were very nice as well. We never had a problem finding a chair at either. The service was great and make sure you have one of their pina coladas!

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank Bryanb9
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2011

My husband & I stayed in a Swim Up Suite at this beautiful resort. We are early morning beach people and enjoy our morning walks on the beach and catching the rays on our loungers. We enjoyed getting back to our room and enjoying the late afternoon sun on our deck and continuing to be served yummy cocktails right at the swim up. Did I mention how wonderful the servers are?? They really deserve to be tipped each and every time. They even served us lunch on the beach.

David was our Butler and he was very friendly and accommodating and always had an awesome smile for us.

We really enjoyed to get dressed up for all our dinners and the food at The Royal Gourmet was tasty. The servers are very attentive there as well and again deserve to be tipped.

The only downfall to us with this property is the smell of fumes from the trams and possibly the boats. It didn't bother us until the last few days of our stay. We never rode the trams, but as they would drive by us, there was a trail of black smoke left behind. We really wish they could do something about that.

The new lobby is gorgeous and very modern. the new Gourmet Restaurant was not open yet-I think we missed it by a few days.

We would definitely recommend this resort and would go back, but we always like to visit different Adults Only and experience something new on every vacation.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MariaandG
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Just a few quick comments/suggestions:

Pay a bit more and get a swim up suite, it's worth it.
Great Beach - Perfect for long walks.
The place is huge and the Map is not very helpful. Ride the train/shuttle a few times around the resort to help you get situated.
The food is average, but not great and you do have a lot options to chose from.
Gym is nice with some pretty good equipment and free weights.
Service is great and staff are friendly. Lots of Canadians. Please note though, asking for something "loudly" does not make understanding your french any easier. Take a few minutes and surf the net for a few words that will help make communication easier.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ray1359
toronto
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We usually stay at Paradisus or Iberostar resorts in Punta Cana but wanted to try something new. I selected Royal Turquesa based on the reviews I had read on here as we wanted to explore other resorts. Check in was fine. No welcome drink though. Went to get this myself at the bar. We stayed at the new section of resort away from the pool beach. First night we woke up to booming music of a disco located off grounds across the street. Needless to say we were moved to a swim up suite second night away from the road. I really enjoyed this suite and highly recommend a swim up suite for couples who would like to stay close to their rooms and relax quietly together. The suites were really nice and well set up. The beds are hard though and I found it hard to get a good nights rest. Grounds are beautiful and well groomed. Service was spotty. I went to get my own drinks all of the time and even went to the bar to get mini pizzas. We ate at the Royal Gourmet and the Japanese restaurant. We found the service at the Royal Gourmet very good but food seriously lacked flavour for my tastes.
We booked massages at the spa. Honestly I found the spa to be less then adequate then the other resorts I have been too in the public areas. It just looked dirty and unappealing to me. After being at Iberostar Grand or any of the Iberostars and Paradisus we have been spoiled. We decided to move to another resort for the remaining days of our trip but that does not mean we wont venture to other resorts hopefully again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We are here at Punta Cana celebrating our 7 months anniversary and we are very happy with our decision to choose Th Royal Suites. The resort is amazing, quiet and the view is breath taking. We have a swim up room and it is gorgeous. We will return , we enjoy the shows , the food (with some exemptions , the butler service and the drinks at the pool!

Rosario y David

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank charo_v
north carolina
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We just returned from a 12 day stay at the Royal Suites, spent Christmas and New Years there. My husband and I prefer adult only resorts, and have stayed at many 4 - 5 star resorts of this type through out the Tropics. Royal Suites Punta Cana is NOT a 4 star resort. My reasoning for this statement is, primarily that the food in the restaurants is sub par. Even in the "eclusive" The Royal Gourmet restaurant, the food was not up to 4 star standards. We dined at other restaurants on the property, The Grand Palladium has 3 different resorts situated on one very large property. Most were buffet style restaurants that catered to the "family" clientele that they represented. The food was the same in each restaurant, no real variation. The food was also not kept at the appropriate temperatures, which made us a bit leary at times to eat various things. The Royal Gourmet restaurant - the "EXCLUSIVE" restaurant just for Royal Suites residents, was played up to be the "best" in fine dining. The service was excellent! The waiters were all very attentive and lots of fun. The food not so much. If you ordered any meat entrees, it was hard to differentiate between one or the other. I ordered the filet mignon, which was NOT filet mignon at all - still trying to figure out what cut of meat that was even now. I ordered the rib eye steak one night, and I swear what I got was a form of pot roast. After those 2 not so wonderful meals, I tried the lamb dishes, which were alright, but nothing to rave about, and went on to try the turkey, duck and other entrees. Nothing really was out of the ordinary. Not what one would expect from a 4 star rated establishment. The best way I can sum up the food is, my husband and I are real foodies, and we both came home from this vacation having not gained even 1 pound! On a positive restaurant note.....we did have a very nice meal at "Bamboo" restaurant. It is an asian style place, and we both really enjoyed eating there.

We opted for a Junior Swim up Suite, as they sounded like a lot of fun. We stayed in building 53, which was centrally located to both the lobby the beach and the restaurants. We stayed in room 5306, which is located on the side of the pool that gets the afternoon sun (1:30 pm - 4:00 pm). So we found ourselves having to walk around the pool to get to the "sunny side" each morning, or going to the main pool or beach area to take advantage of the morning sun. When I say "walk around" that is what you had to do, as the pool temperature did not rise above 60 degrees the entire 12 day stay. The pool is only 4 foot deep, but with that cold temperature, it made going in the water almost painful. I did manage to get in up to my knees a couple of times, but I never got fully into the pool off of our swim up suite. We spoke with fellow residents of building 53, and we all agreed, that if the resort invested in some solar panels, they could heat up the pools to a very agreeable temperature. In the entire 12 days, we noticed that only a few brave souls took advantage of the swim up suites pool, which seems kind of a waste in the long run for the extra money that we all had to pay. The main pool area was warmer than our pool, and the ocean was warmer than them all -- go figure!

The Grand Palladium resort as a whole is very nice. The landscaping is kept up, and everything is very clean. We did enjoy the tiny train that runs the properties non stop, so you can get from one place to another without having to constantly walk. The Royal Suites residents have access to golf carts that you can call, that will pick you up and drop you off on demand. This was a very nice service.

We never made it to any of the shows that were offered, as they started at 10:00 pm, and since we eat dinner at 6:00 pm, and there aren't any activities offered between those times, we usually ended up having cocktails in the lobby, then retiring to our room early. We did speak with people who did see the shows, and they said that the Michael Jackson show was very very good. Being there for the holidays, I was hoping that there would be more activities offered. They did have the singing of Christmas Carols at the Grand Palace lobby, and a "live Nativity" show that we also missed seeing due to not knowing exactly where it was going to be held. New Years was kind of blah, no real celebrations except for the fireworks show at midnight - that was a very nice touch.

The staff at the Royal Suites Turquesa were all very good. Our butler Jahaira was extremely wonderful to work with. She always had a smile on her face, and was eager to assist you in any way that she could. Tomas, the golf cart driver was always smiling He remembered your name, and was happy to accomodate you any time he was working, which is all the time. These employees work 12 days on with 3 days off, but all the staff we can in contact with, were excellent.

To sum it all up, I would say, the resort isn't all bad. There are good points, but if you are more comfortable staying at 4-5 star resorts, then I don't think you would be happy with your stay here. Some other reviewer said, that 4 - 5 star resorts vary according to where they are, that is simply not true. 5 star is 5 star. Once you've had that kind of service, food, atmosphere, you know it, and you also know when you don't get it. My one suggestion to the Royal Suites, is to make daily or weekly printouts of activities that are posted in each buildings lobby, so that residents can see and plan ahead. This way, you would know when and where you wanted to go each day, and wouldn't miss something because you did not have that information.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple