“Royal Suites...Fine.. but some reserves...”

The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Montreal
“Royal Suites...Fine.. but some reserves...”
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We travelled over-night (never again), but we were greeted very well. The room was just as we asked for in our recommendations. We stayed in the new area, on a third floor. Very quiet and relaxing, except that they knock on your door between 9:30 and 11:00 pm every night in case you need towels. We go to bed early, so we put up the "do not disturb sign". The rooms are luxurious and very clean. The only issue is that the shower doors are not water-spill proof, and so you can easily create a flood in the washroom area. The mini-bar is always full.. no need to ask for more. We`ve tried three a la carte restaurants - The Spanish El Quijote was my favorite. The Rodizio Brazilian was also very very good. The one I would not recommend is El Arrecife.. terrible service, undercooked seafood. The couple sitting next to our table left very early before coffee and desert. My wife was sick for three and a half days, I was sick for a day and a half. I cannot testify if in fact is this restaurant, or mere coincidence. Also, another disappointment was that the Italian restaurant became a seafood restaurant. We only found out when they handed us the menu, and said they changed the day before. The restaurant we went to the most was The Gourmet. Very good. I`d like to say hi to Milagros and Euribilde...very nice waitress and waiter. They are all very well trained. The Gourmet is where we last had supper there. To the tourist with the Blackberry... would you put that thing away? The guy spent 35minutes of his one hour supper talking on his thing while his wife watched. Anyway.. some are rude. As for tipping.. most of the time I would tip and a few times I didn`t. I didn`t notice a change of service. I was treated as a king all the time. Everyone says "Hola" everywhere. The beach is beautiful and very clean. No need to wake up at five in the morning to reserve a lounge chair on the beach or pool... there is plenty for everyone. The hotel was sold out and there was more than half the chairs and long chairs still available everywhere. The pools are cleaned every day with the vaccuum and chemistry is also verified. My minor complaints are few. When we mention to staff members that we are sick.. they simply say: "Oooh.. hope you feel better soon." They don`t care about how and when... they seem to be used to it. We`ve encountered many people that were sick. Some say it could have been the salad, others say it was the coffee.. who knows. But you can also see people rubbing their bellies or running off to the washroom-leaving their friends at the restaurant. If you are sick four days out of seven... that isn`t fun. Another issue I found cheap was in regards to night flights. Your travel agent should arrange that you are allowed to stay in your room at least till midnight. We had to leave our room for noon... so you have another twelve hours without a room. We managed to get a swim-up till five, but still from five till midnight is a long way to go. My other issue is with the travel rep`s morning meeting. It took almost two hours. The only valuable information for me was the first ten/fifteen minutes.. After that they talk about all the excursions... where I assume they get commissions on what they sell. At one point they say to get out of the resort and explore. We wanted to do just that, but their meaning of getting out is to buy one of their excursions. What I wanted is to go where the real local people live, eat, shop etc. I wanted to buy stuff from the real locals outside the tourist area, but they said not to.. it`s better to buy from their Bazaar Store. I wonder why??? The room hot-tubs were very clean... no stale water. All in all.. very nice vacation... but don`t think I`d go back there, I would try another place.

2 Thank Andrew_to_Go

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed January 10, 2010

On arrival, our luggage sat, while the luggage of others that arrive after us were placed in front of them and were deliver before ours.

On one occasion of room service, the butler forgot the milk for our cereal. He promised to return with it. He lied.

We decided to take advantage of the free shuttle to the local shopping mall provided by the resort. It was to pick us up at 2PM. We waited until after 3PM before we abandoned the trip because the transportation was a no show.

The resort practices a reservation system for pool and beach lounge chairs. At 8AM we noticed many beach towels on lounge chairs, in effect reserving the chair for later use. A chair can sit unoccupied for hours until it is used. We were informed from staff that some people were out at 6:30AM to reserve their chairs. This is an absurd practice.

Most booked their a la carte restaurant diners at the beginning of their stay. If you don’t, you may not be able to get a reservation at a given restaurant, as was our case.

We were booked into a Jr Suite in the 5200 Building. Just behind our building, unknown to us at the time of arrival, is a discotheque (remember those). I first notice this Thursday night. I called the resort about this, they did nothing. I guess there is nothing they could do except to offer to move us. They did not. I did not sleep from Thursday night until we left on Saturday morning. I admit that I am a light sleeper. The sound of the A/C did lessen the direct sound a bit. However, we did not need the AC at night and it made the room uncomfortably cold.

We thought we would perhaps rent a car and drive to see the country side and experience some culture. We learned that San Domingo and the DR Mountains were 4 hours drive. So Punta Cana had us captive.

Some food was good. On a number of occasions the food was overly salted. My wife said she missed my cooking.

The resort offered 4 computers for free use. They were often down.

We found the DR people for the most part very nice. We always tip for service. However, the resort was grossly overcrowded for our comfort level. The beach was like a box store parking lot on black Friday. This was our first experience at an all inclusive resort. This all-inclusive resort is not for us. If they are all like this, which I expect they are, then all inclusives are not for us.

Milton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Check In: very slow, seemed unorganized

Room: Beautiful, #5820 new section, last building in the Royal Section, furthest from the beach but very convenient to the Royal Gormet Restaurant, Buffet Restaurant, Italian Restaurant, Japanesse Restaurant, Punta Cana Section, Palace Section and the Casino, and the Spa and Gym. So a pretty good building to be in. If you want a good location ask for building 56 with a swim up pool room and not in a corner room.

Room Cleaning staff: Very good, never had a problem with towels etc.

Royal Gormet Restaurant: Great Choices but almost always cold food ala carte and buffet. Buffet trays not replenished quickly enough. New Chef very nice and there to please you. I am sure he will make a difference in the heat of the food.

Pool: Very Nice, lots of sun loungers and the sun beds are to die for. Lots of pool towels available all the time. Nice and shallow.

Pool bar: Friendly staff, lots of choice booze but not on display, so unless you asked you were given the cheap stuff in your drinks. They need to put up a shelf for people to see what they have and they actually have almost everything you could ask for.

Grounds: Beautiful and very well kept around the whole resort

Resort: I personally liked the Palladium Bavaro section, just seemed more organized and it had everything close to you. Only thing is kids and we prefer not to be around too many of them, thus the Royal Section for us.

Royal Section Lobby: Needs fixing up. Not nice at all. Very cold looking. Seating is not good. Needs a proper bar with maybe a piano player in the evenings. It is very dull and boring. Cluttered and messy looking. Computers should NOT be in the lobby, but down the hall leading to the pool where you butlers ? sit. More practical place.

Butlers: Well, I am not sure what they are suppose to do but we never did receive the pillow selection requested, our mini bar never seen peanuts and crackers, even after requesting them, not important, however, that is what their job is suppose to be. Did have someone book us for two restaurants with success.

Shuttle service: Great from the Royal but try from another location difficult to have someone bring you back. The train was kind of nice, slow but it gets you to where you want to go.

Casino: Staff very unfriendly but machines were fun and easy to use. We do not do tables but they seemed to be busy.

Pools: All of the pools in the resort were very nice and there was never a wait for a drink.

Disco: Only went briefly but seemed good, busy.

Sports Area: Wonderful for anyone that has children with them or teens that want to get away from their parents. Soccer, Basketball courts, Archery, Shooting, Tennis, Table Tennis, Mini Golf etc. Organized things or just come to enjoy with your own group.

Spa: Looked wonderful and the gym always had someone using the facilities.

Room Service: New Years Morning service was very slow, my guess lots of people ordered to their room. Delivery was over l hour but we were told ahead. You can order as much as you want only thing don't order coffee it comes cold and all you need to do is make your own in your room, much better.

Shows: Location of the theatre's was abit out of the way but again you can get the train or shuttle if you are in the Royal Section. We seen part of one show Michael Jackson and another with dancing and it was very professional. We have seen so many shows in all the years we have travelled so don't go so often now.

New Years Eve: Well, The meal at the Royal Gormet was wonderful and the service was very good. Special wine served during dinner, although the regular wine they serve in the Royal Section is not bad at all. After dinner we walked to the show then went to see the fireworks display. The Fireworks was one of the best I have ever seen. We had just seen firworks at Disney in November and this topped their display.

Dissappointment --- New Years Eve. Being in the Royal Section was boring there was nothing going on in our lobby or area other than the special dinner. We were never told about any special celebrations around the resort. No information was sent to our rooms, posted in the lobby or pool bar areas. This is New Years Eve folks, a time for celebration and the main reason we were on vacation. We heard from someone else about the fireworks and when trying to confirm with staff they were unsure what we were talking about. We went to the sport area and lucky we did see the fireworks. After we heard that the Bavaro Area Lobby had a big party with count down etc. Too bad they didn't inform everyone.

Finally: Would I return, not sure as we like to see different resorts and there are so many nice ones out there. Would I stay in the Royal Section, yes. Would I recommend this resort to anyone else, yes. If you can't stay in the Royal Section I would highly recommend the Bavaro Section, then the Punta Cana section and finally the Palace section.

Recommendation: Spruce up the Royal Section Lobby with proper bar and seating and tables, remove the computers put in a nice piano and have some nice entertainment to relax in a nice setting in a beautiful resort.

Sorry for the long review but this was a very big resort with lots to review.

5 Thank Rita900
Kentucky
Reviewed December 30, 2009

This was our 4th time to DR. We previously stayed at the Bahia Principe, but choose to stay at the Royal Suites since it was cheaper and they did not require a minimum stay when we were planning in April. Our review . . .

Flight: We flew in on Air Canada. Great flight. They took care of the tourist card for us.

Check-in: Smooth and easy. We arrived at 1:30 so our room wasn't ready yet. They held our luggage and told us to eat lunch. We did and returned to our room.

Room: We were in the new section as requested (building 53). Very nice room with king size bed, whirlpool tub. The pillow menu was nice. The air conditioning worked great. We tipped the maid $5 each day and did not see anything extra special. We still tipped them anyways. They cannot get paid that much. I was interesting seeing how many of them had cell phones as they walked into the resort each morning. We started to tip random workers who did not clean our rooms.

Beach: Nice. The lounge chairs at the beach are the most comfortable. There are beds too. The Royal Suite guests have their own section of the beach. No kids. The beach is as nice as ever. Nobody can dispute the quality of the beach.

Shopping: There were shops just to the north of the resort. As soon as you crossed the property line, swarms of vendors came up to us. Joke around with them. Only accept a deal that is LESS than 50% of what they initially offer. If THEY do not accept YOUR offer after some bargaining, threaten to leave. It is amazing how quickly their minds change. I got a t-shirt for $5 (probably could have gotten it cheaper) after they initially offered it for $25. Ask them for the shirt off their back. They found that funny.

Food: Great!! The Royal Buffet has some great food. The service is very slow. I felt like we wasted time waiting for food when we could have been at the beach/pool. Much better food than at the Bahia. As a Royal Suites guest, you will be given a Butler (assigned to your building). Make reservation to the Japanese place. It is very good. I am not sure about this, but some of the other guests (from the other parts of the resort) had to wait in line to get in. We just went to the front of the line and were seated immediately since we had reservations. The drinks were very good. The pool bar served the best drinks (in the new section). My wife's biggest compliment: COKE PRODUCTS!!!

When we first arrived, we automatically started to compare it to the Bahia Principe. The lobby at the Bahia is much bigger/nicer and there are more pools at the Bahia. As each day passed however, we started to say that the Royal Suites are much better. It is a huge resort. I was able to run 6 miles on the grounds without making many multiple loops. We did not get the feeling of being over-whelmed with size like we did at the Bahia. It was more like a resort in a resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank kscrosby
canada
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We wanted a quaint & quiet resort with a great beach, nice pool, clean room & decent food & that is what we received. We quite enjoyed the Royal Gourmet for breakfast & dinner, especially wed & sunday nights for surf & turf, nice big lobster tails & champagne to sip on. We enjoyed the beach-side restaurant for lunch for it's views, nice veggie pizzas & bbq chicken. A previous reviewer from Chicago seemed to over-stress their personal preference for tipping in order to receive better service. We alway wait for good service, we never pay-out to buy a better service. When we received a good continued service from certain employees, we then thanked them very much & left them an envelope with a note & gratuity. We would never want to judge anyone whom may not want to tip, that is certainly their right & I totally respect that! In closing, if you are looking for an extremely quiet resort with some extra perks & not break the bank, then this is as good as any!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wessiewoo
CHICAGO
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I was sold on this Hotel becuase of all the reviews on this site and the reason for the vacation. I wanted to get away from the Chicago cold and get some sun for a few days before the bulk of the winter.

Service in the ROYAL GOURMET was AWESOME!!!! WE LOVED THOSE GUYS WE LEFT SAD BECUASE WE WONT BE BACK TO THE RESORT EVER!!!!!

These are the same morning guys who serve breakfast at the Royal Gourmet they work really hard!!!!

Europeans and Others TIP this people!!!!
I cannot belive how cheap SPANIARDS are on vacation. YOU HAVE EUROS TIP !!!!!!
These guys make $150 a month they are basically slaves. They work for like 26 days straight and have a few days off. They work from sun up to sun down. If you enjoy their country let them have a few dollars. Have HEART PEOPLEEEE. They will take care of you!!!!

Our last meal at the Royal Gourmet was unreal!!!!

We each had a full LOBSTER and a FILET MIGNON. Plus they brought to the table another huge lobster for us to share. This is what you get when you take care of the people.!!!!

Loved the Royal Gourmet had all our meals besides one at the GENERAL Buffet "Las Torres". We could not find anything edible I'm sorry but the food was just wrong.

Best part of the trip was the Royal Gourmet and the Beach. Location and grounds were beautiful no complaints. The groundsmen had fresh coconuts for us at the beach for lunch every day. We tiped him well and the service matched the tips.

We like service in U.S and we are willing to pay for great service. I see that in Europe you want everything for free. I heard a million request and when the table got up from dinner not one single Euro or dollar was left. This is unreal!!!!!!

Our butler EDWARD was the biggest joke and disspaointment of the "ROYAL SERVICE". I gave him $10 from the start. I wanted great service and I was going to follow up with $15-$20 per day. Thats what you tip a true butler and thats how we tip in the U.S when they deliver service.

This guy was joke he was never able to get me reservations ANYWERE. On one ocassion I asked for a reservation he asked if he could have my baseball hat!!! Odd request but I'm not picky I thought no problem. I can tip him the hat and some cash if he delivers in service. I walked away with no reservation and I gave him a few dollars for his time. That was the last time I saw him working. He was always talking to the staff and he litetally ran one time from us. I talked to him 3 times the first day and never again. Pathetic!!!!!

Needless to say he got nothing from me but the $13 dollars I had given him the first day. He promised all kind of services. We filled out the form of what we wanted nothing was ever right. We called all the time for diet coke and water. Thats all we wanted nothing special just plain "Coka Light & Agua" our BUTLER EDWARD could not deliver this LOL Joke Service

The rooms were kept imaculate the cleaning serive was great. Why? Becuase we took care of our maids every day. Like your suppose to do PEOPLE!!!! I tip everyone I'm suppose to when I travel to Europe. I dont know why you feel superior or entitle when you visit the PC in the DR and feel they owe you something. Dont be ridicolus we can all end up in a bad situation any time be human.

The drivers of the carts that are only for lugage service took us everywere. I felt like I had chaufer serivice... Awesome they even took us to a show on the other side of the resort and picked us up at 11:00 when it was over. WHY? Do you need to ask? Because we took care of them.

TIP the waiters in the Bech dont be cheap. These guys walk around all day in pants serving you drinks. Come on now!!!!

Front desk was great. I had everything I needed all the time I called them. Royal Gourmet was fantastic and the grounds and beach were fabulous. But this is anywere you go in PC if you get a higher star hotel.

"EDWARD" butler was a joke. If you get "Edward" ask for a different butler. He is too busy to be of any assitance. We needed help booking a tour and he told us to go on the internet. NO JOKE I'm not lying my "ButLER" Edward said go to the internet!!!! Unreal but it's funny no service no tip. No skin of my back I booked my excursion on my own had a blast.

Overall nowere near 5 star service. But there was parts that were totally 5 Star. Maid Service, Cart Service, Front Desk, Front Bar, SPA, Royal Gourmet and grounds and beach area were totally 5 STAR MATERIAL.

EVERYTHING ELSE WAS 2-3 generous stars.

SPA was awesome I got a 50 minute SWEDISH massage for 50 dollars. Thank You Dominga I loved it sorry I did not tip you. The rules sad dont take valuables and I was acustomed to leaving tips on the credit card. I was not aware you could do that in the DR. I owe you one!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank KingOFVegas
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Eagvent's review below is pretty much on the money. We chose the RST to celebrate our first wedding anniversay and had a wonderful time. The place is VERY clean, the staff bends over backwards, and it's a real bonus to have those gold-fade-to-sparkly-silver armbands. Here's a tip if you can't figure out the pillow menu: the feather ones are the softest, the ones provided originally probably the hardest. Wonderful beach and pool area; get up early though to reserve your lounges by placing towels on them. It *seems* like a bit of a chore, but, if you think about it, once you've done that and got that out of the way, you have a little home-base there for the rest of the day. We're not partyers and totally appreciated that they roll up the sidwalks at night. Truthfully, we returned to our rooms after dinner only to go to bed between 9 and 10pm, and I can't swear to when the pool bar shuts down. Those seeking more activity may go to the neighbouring Palladium behemoth for plenty of night-time shenanigans. Anyway, go ahead and look forward to your vacation at the RST. Nice place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple