“Good Vacation!”

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #46 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I (ages 37-47) along with another couple (ages 48-56) stayed at The Royal Suites for 10 days. We had a great time with only a few complaints. I'll start with the good, the rooms were nice. Larger than I expected and cleaned twice a day. The robes in the room were a nice touch. The maid didn't make us any towel animals while we were there, but we did have fresh flowers everyday. The beach is gorgeous and you don't have people bothering you to buy things all the time.

You should have a brown form in your room upon arrival for you to fill out for the butler service. We didn't have a form so for the first couple of days we didn't get to use the full services, like the pillow menu or request what we wanted in the mini bar. Although even after we made our request for the mini bar, we never got what we asked for.

Proper dress is required for dinner. Men need long pants and a shirt with sleeves. Women can wear anything except shorts. Shorts are allowed in the buffets. We enjoyed having a large choice of restaurants for dinner and that Royal guests are allowed to make reservations and skip the lines. We all LOVED the Japanese restaurant, we ate there twice. We also ate at the Italian, Steak & Seafood and the Chinese. They were also good, however all 4 of us were a little disappointed with the Chinese. We ate at The Royal Gourmet several times. We made a point to eat there on Sunday's and Wednesday's, they serve grilled Lobster and it was delicious!

The breakfast and lunch buffets were typical of every other all inclusive resort that I have been to in the Caribbean and Mexico. No better, no worse. We did have breakfast and lunch at the Royal Gourmet a few times also. It was good but we found the larger selection at the buffets worked better for our group.

We went to one show. We enjoyed it, but it was pretty much the same show we have seen at the other resorts, so we didn't go to any others.

There were a few more American's there than we expected. On our last trip to the Dominican Republic (different resort) we only found one other American couple. This time mainly due to the Swine Flu in Mexico there were a few other couples. We did quickly find out that at the Royal pool you are expected to party QUIETLY. A group of about 10 or 12 of us were all thrown out of the pool for being to loud. I don't deny that we were probably loud, but we were on vacation, aren't you supposed to let lose and have some fun? I found that a little strange, but oh well, we just went to the beach.

It rained every night while we were there, which is not unusual in the Caribbean. It also rained really hard for several hours a couple of evenings. I bring this up because the resort has a huge problem with it's roofs. There were leaks everywhere. A major leak in the lobby made it hard to even walk through without falling down on the wet floors. Every floor of our building had leaks. No one seemed bothered by this, they just threw down some towels and put up a wet floor sign. I find it strange that such a nice resort would not take care of such a huge problem.

Overall we had a great trip and I would recommend this resort, however keep in mind that most of the employees do not speak/understand English well. This makes it hard to communicate and we found that if they didn't understand what you were saying, they would just agree with you.

We are thinking about maybe checking out the Royal in Mexico for next years trip, hopefully the Royal guests at that resort aren't also expected to stay quiet all the time!

5  Thank helln72
There are newer reviews for TRS Turquesa Hotel

Reviewed May 18, 2009

This was our third trip to the D.R. and we were hesitant to return. A patient had referred us to this specific resort and it truly exceeded our expectations.

The location is fantastic- the Palladium Complex is huge- but the Royal suites are carved into one end. They have their own pool and beach. While you can use the other Palladium pools and beach (they are all connected), the other guests cannot cross over to the facilities at the Suites. Our room overlooked the pool and we were very close to the beach. Going between the two was wonderful. Chairs and palapas were plentiful. Towels were numerous and you could take as many as you wanted- no pool card business or "saving" chairs. The pool beds were also wonderful- immersed at the edge of the pool, you could read and drink there all day. My husband loves the beach. The water was pretty choppy but very warm and a lot of fun. You can walk for miles without being excessively bothered by tour operators- and they were always cordial if you weren't interested.

The room had a jacuzzi in the center and a wonderful TV and DVDs available (free) in the lobby. The bathroom and shower were fine. Some other tourists complained about the lack of privacy but I really didn't see that complaint as valid. I guess if it was your first date, maybe.

The restaurants were all very good- specifically the a la carte restaurants. Buffets in the D.R. and Mexico always give me a feeding frenzy ambience. The key with the restaurants is to know what to choose. Their beef is some crossover and is cooked to within an inch of its life. Stick to the seafood (avoid the Lobster Thermidor!) and you'll have a wonderful meal. Desserts are a joke and we would go then to a buffet and get a soft serve cone or a piece of flan.

Nightlife is strictly in another section which we walked to or you can get a ride from the bellhop in a golf cart. They also have a train but we never felt like waiting for one. The casino is in name only and shopping there is a joke. Some recommended a nearby mall but that is not us on a vacation.

Now the negatives; we were dropped off at the wrong Palladium resort. After tipping the driver (part of our tour) and the bellhop, the front desk at the Palladium Punta Cana said we were in the wrong place.This was a sign people! Good thing I planned an early arrival so we could have a part of a day because it was spent waiting for someone to take us to the Royal Suites. Our trip began and ended on the same note. After confirming our departure with Turinter Tours and where we would be picked up, they never showed. We had to call a taxi and despite the fact Turinter insisted they would reimburse the taxi- he would not take us unless we paid. We were already late for the airport so we did go with him and he promised a receipt so I could argue for the money($35) with Turinter. We get to the airport and my husband gets in line while I go to find Turinter with my receipt. This guy wants to talk to the Taxi driver. Well he is long gone and I need to go. Little did it matter, because we were bumped from our US Airways flight (overbooked) and had to stay another night. Needless to say they gave us two plane tickets but we paid the price when they put us up in a place that was a shock after the Royal Suites. Lastly, the Suites have computers in the lobby- all free- so I could check the e-mail and write home. Unfortunately we had already left the hotel when I needed it the most!

I don't know what to tell you. Getting the right people to drop you off and pick you up is critical. We booked through CheapCarribean.com- was that another sign? I don't know but it was painful and my husband lost a day of work.

2  Thank Leslie000
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Booked the Palace got upgraded to the new swim out rooms. It was great most beautiful room I have been in. Service was great the food above average for an all inclusive espesially if you ask the grill guy to cook things medium especially for you. They have a tendency to cook it to leather otherwise. Presidente is always good especially out of the Bubba Mug and the addition of some premium booze was great. Beack was fenced off from the locals so a lot less bugging from vendors.. The pool and Danny the Bartender where awesome. The only comment I would have is for all resorts to come by and take any towels off the lounger that have not been used for two hours. Come on people!! Would Recommend as the best of the 4 Punta Cana resorts I have been to.

6  Thank K_and_A_StLoui
Reviewed May 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Suites for 5 days the first week of May. We were greeted in the lobby with a drink and warm smiling staff for a smooth, fast check-in. We were shown to our room which was great. It wasn't over the top but the bed was comfy, extremely clean and had a great view. The room had a large tub, separate shower and toliet behind frosted glass doors. Plenty of towels and pillows! I know the pictures look like there are few pillows but if you request pillows from your pillow menu with the butler you can have as many as you need. The room had a great flat screen TV with many American, European and Spanish channels. The terrace had 2 comfy wooden chairs and a little table to sit and enjoy the view in. Wifi in the room, at the pool and on the beach worked great!!

The whole complex is open for Royal guests but only Royal guests can use the beach section, pool and Royal Gourmet in the Royal section. You have upgraded chairs, liquor and other amenities with being a Royal guest. The Bali Beds and lounge chairs were great both by the pool and on the beach. Even with the Complex as a whole almost at full capacity you wouldn't realize it. There were plenty of chairs to be found!! The beach is incredible!!! Beautiful white powdery sand, clear blue calm water!! PERFECT!!!
My husband and I found it amazing that there were so many people staying there but you never would have known it! The beaches at the other resorts on the complex were packed, without seeing that we wouldn't have believed it! The restaurants, shops, bars, pools never seemed overly busy which was great!

As a Royal guest you also get the opportunity to make reservations at the A La Cartes which was great! You get to walk right past others who are in line or waiting to be seated. The Japanese and Brazilian were our favorites although they are all great!!! They have everything timed out perfectly! As soon as you are done with one course the other arrives within seconds! The buffet food for breakfast and lunch were standard buffet food. Always could find something a little different at each one and could find something you like. Normally we were still full from the evening before to each breakfast and would just get a little snack for lunch. We did order room service which was ok. The selection is a little limited but for a late nigh snack it beat heading over to the sports bar! We never had any upset stomachs or trouble with the food--which is odd bc we both have issues here in the states.

There is a trolley that takes you all over the complex every 15 mins or so. If you are in a hurry just ask one of the staff and they will be more than happy to take you in one of there carts. I can't say enough about the staff and people in the Dominican! They are the most helpful, wonderful people we have ever been around. Is there some language barriers?? Sure! Was it a problem?? NO!!! They will try their hardest to understand you and you understand them. Remember you are in a different country and this is part of the experience!!! We loved how the staff would say something in both English first then Spanish so that we could learn something new on our trip! We had a blast learning new things each day.

They have a small casino--maybe 30 slots and 5 tables, nightly shows that were nice to just relax and watch and special events. There was always something going on around the complex.

The spa was amazing! My husband and I both had services there and couldn't believe how wonderful and inexpensive it was!!! Also there are little shops down the beach off the resort if you are wanting a little feel of the locals.

My best advice would be go in with an open mind and ENJOY!! It's a BEAUTIFUL resort with an amazing beach!!!

8  Thank MoTaveler07
Reviewed May 13, 2009

My sister and I just returned from our yearly sister getaway at The Roayl Suites Turquesa by Palladium. We had a great time. The staff was unbelievable. They were all very friendly. Cely is the one in charge of the butlers. She is a remarkable person-speaks 5 languages and is so helpful. Carlos (Dr.) and Grand Carlos were our butlers. They were a lot of fun and helped to explain the resort, options available, make dinner reservations, etc. If you have any problems or questions, make sure you go to your butler. They do everything they can to make your stay perfect. Those staying in The Royal Suites are entitled to dinner reservations, those stayiing at the other Palladium resorts do not make reservations, so make sure to let your butler know what restaurant and dinner time you want prior to noon each day.

The lobby is very nice. The bar is in the same area. They have bar service, but a nice touch is the refrigerator. You can help yourself to bottles of beer, soda, and water along with sandwiches and yogurt. A few mornings, instead of going to the buffet or gourmet restaurant for breakfast, we opted for yogurt and cappuccino. Yanet made the best cappuccino. We tried cappaccino from different restaurants and lobbys, but hers were the absolute best! There is also a coffee machine there that you can make yourself different coffees, such as Latte, Espresso, etc. Yanet also made the best Bloody Mary's in all of the Palladium.

The room was nice and the view was great. Just be careful that you don't shut your sliding glass door all the way if nobody is in your room-we did this twice and had to yell for help because it locks automatically. We were not the only ones who did this! It made for a good laugh! They have a pillow menu that you can choose from different styles of pillows. We both chose the memory foam and it was very comfortable.

The Royal Suite section is very nice and quiet. If you are looking for a livelier atmosphere, you can use the facilities on the other Palladium resorts. The other resorts are family oriented, but the Royal Suites are adults only. The resort complex is quite large. We got our exercise everyday, but if you did not want to walk to the other facilities, there was a tram that ran from resort to resort.

We dined at the Royal Gourmet Restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner at various times. We liked to go to the buffet at the Grand Palladium Palace as well. The crepes at the buffet are VERY delicious. The food was very good, with a wide variety of choices. The fresh mango was absolutely delicious-best we have ever tasted. We also enjoyed the passion fruit.

The beach area was very nice. We never had any problems finding a palapa or chairs during our stay. The adult only beach is quite nice, quiet and relaxing. If you are looking for more activity, you can go to the beach at any of the Grand Palladium properties.

The night life at the Royal Suites is a bit subdued, but is was nice to sit around the pool in the evening where we were able to get a drink and sit and talk. We would stop off at the lobby of the Grand Palladium Palace for a drink and listen to live music on our way back from dinner. The Casino is right there also. There is also a Disco that you can go to.

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had so much fun. If you have never done a girls or sisters trip, I can't recomment it enough! This resort was very nice for couples, friends, or sisters who enjoy an adults only resort.

• Stayed: May 2009
4  Thank jamesterElizabethPA
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Well, as we have been joking with my husband, this place is seal's paradise.
And I love it!

First of all, Palladium complex consists of 4 parts:
Bavaro, Punta Cana, Palace and Royal Suites. People in Royal suites have access to everything in the resort, can reserve a la carte dinners (while others cannot),
have in addition there separate pool and beach. At the beach they have lots of beach beds. There is no plastic cards' system for beach towels. At the a la carte show your bracelet and require special (free) wine. Not a bad wine.

I loved service there. We were indeed treated as royalties! A waiter suggests you drinks and snacks right at the beach.

Quiet. No loud music near the pool. Lots of people sleeping near the pool,
or on the beach. Most people are over 40-50. If you want some loud music, entertainments, then you just walk to the rest of the complex (5 min by foot, or by the little train, or just ask a bell boy to give you a ride on his little car). There you can find several loud bars, sports' bar with American style food-snacks, Hemingway bar with nice colonial style, casino, lots of shops.

Usual simple room has a flat screen tv and a dvd player. So take your dvds with you. You can also rent (for free) some at the hotel. But the choice is not great.
No privacy in the toilet! Its door serves for decoration only, so your partner would know in all details what you are doing in there. Very clean. A lady would come twice a day to clean the room.

Food is all right. A la cartes are all right also.The decorations are great, the food is all right.

Overall, it is a really GREAT place. I am thinking of going to the Royal suites in Mexico this summer.

P.S. I forgot to mention excellent sport facilities. 6 Tennis courts! Mini golf, soccer, etc.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple