“Wonderful Resort...great vacation”

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Arrived Nov 25th via Sunquest Vacations / WestJet from Toronto. On arrival at Punta Cana airport WestJet passengers were to use a separate line to go though Customs that was very quick and efficient. Just a quick note, when you fly West Jet they cover your $20 D.R. Departure Tax as part of your flight.

Transfer to our hotel was as efficient as we have ever experienced in the Caribbean.

At the Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium check-in was fast & efficient and we were in our room within 15 minutes after arrival. We found the staff very helpful and courteous including the front desk, restaurants, housekeeping, bars, grounds and maintenance. All have a very important role in making our vacation enjoyable. A special thanks to Maximo Ogaudo on the front for his help and conversation on a couple of occasions.

Rooms - We asked for an upper floor and got a 3rd floor room that suited us perfectly, although we could have upgraded to a swim-up room as many guests did. The room was clean and fresh. The only problem (a minor one) was the shower head holder was cracked and would not support the shower head handle. We made a call and before the day was over, it was fixed. Housekeeping kept our room clean and fresh each day. The name of the housekeeper on the card it our room was Mariloly. She did an amazing job. The Butler / Concierge in our building #54 was Elvi & Manuela. They were both very helpful and courteous. We had very pleasant conversations with both of them.

Restaurants - We booked reservations for all the a la carte restaurants and were seated promptly on our arrival. The food was varied and tasty and the dining experiences were enjoyable. As guests at the Royal Suites we had 2 restaurants exclusive for us, la Chanterelle and the Gourmet, both of very high quality cuisine.

Beach / Pools - The beach is fantastic. We have been to Punta Cana several times...enough said. The resort pools are clean and never crowded. Each morning we witnessed the staff cleaning and checking pool chemicals for the pool at our building.

Bars - Plenty of them on the resort, you should not go thirsty. Staff were always courteous,pleasant and efficient. There is also a well stocked bar in the rooms.

In conclusion we had a very enjoyable vacation. Part of it is meeting and talking to people from other parts of the world. We would certainly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: If you don't have a swim up room and decide you want one...ask. We know of several guests who di...
3  Thank Ron B
Rsegarra, Gerente at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear. Mr. Ron B.

Thank you for choosing the Grand Palladium Royal Suites Turquesa. For your holiday and the publication of your opinion in this important network.

We are very pleased to know that our atmospheres of calm and relaxation, the service from all our staff have provided you an unforgettable stay.

Always we congratulate those whose work makes you feel in a friendly ambiance to have a wonderful experience as we desire.

We thank you very much for your recommendations and look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

We arrived yesterday and were upgraded to The Royal Turquesa..the room, the staff, the resort etc. all have been wonderful! No complaints..

The staff goes out of their way to make sure ALL guest are happy and are having a great time!

I am truly surprised by all the negative comments, but realize some people are just negative and nothing will make them happy. Their loss, cause this place is EXCELENTE!!

Already wanting to bring others back when we visit again.. But first we will continue enjoying our vacation!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NHellmich
Rsegarra, Gerente at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear. Mrs. / Mr. NHellmich

Thank you for choosing the Grand Palladium Bavaro suites Resort & Spa. For your holiday and the publication of your opinion in this important network.

We look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

To begin, I should say there were several very good aspects of this resort. First, the beach was very nice, the pools were nice, the one breakfast place that was exclusive to the royal suites part of the resort was very delicious, and the brazilian and japanese steakhouse restaurants were very delicious. However, for my wife and I, there were a few negatives that outweighed the positives for us. The first major negative was the rooms. Our first room had several items, including the phone, that did not work when we arrived. The first few days consisted of random people stopping by to try to fix everything, and very few details were given to us. Finally, they decided we should switch rooms (this information was not volunteered, only got it my continually asking them). However, the room we swithced to smelled very strongly of mildew. Also, in general, the beds were not comfortable, the rooms were quite far from the actual beach (some rooms would better than others, I'm sure), and there were no views to speak of (again this could be remedied by a more expensive room closer to the beach). The other major complaint was the quality of service. Very few members of the staff, particularly the cooks, were very interested in understanding and providing you with what you want. Many looked very annoyed with you if you did not know spanish well. The check in and check out procedures were also quite laborious and took a lot of time. In general, the service was nowhere near the quality I would expect at a luxury resort. Finally, the food at the majority of the restaurants was not that great of quality (exlcuding the ones a mentioned above). Overall, like I said, it wasn't that the resort was that bad, it just wasn't as good as other resorts we have been to. Also, if service and room quality are not as important to you as beach quality, then you would probably have a better experience than we did.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David B
Rsegarra, Director General at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear David B,

On behalf of the Royal Siutes Turquesa Management we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the fact that your stay with us was not up what you expected.

We assure you that the situations exposed were taken with greatest interest since the comments and suggestions of our customers are the best way to detect rooms for improvement and can therefore take the correct actions to improve the level of our services.

Thank you for having taken the time to letting us know about your experience and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you in the future and we will ensure a uneventful stay.

Merry Christmas,

R. Segarra

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Nice place but not enough staff to handle the whole resort. This actually the high end of the Palladium resort. I felt that most of the staff were new and not as polished as they will be in time. Butlers are worthless as they have to cover more duties than they can handle. The exclusive restaraunts staff were trying to appear sofisticated but came off looking silly. Food in the Dominican has never been great so I wasn't disappointed by the lack of flavor. Over all it wasn't bad, but with better management and a little help with the food it could be great.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank dandapatioman
Rsegarra, Gerente at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear. SresDandapatioman

On behalf of the Grand palladium Palace Resort, spa & Casino, Thank you for selecting our hotel for your vacations in the Caribbean, unfortunately we have seen that your experience on your recently staying was not completely satisfied. I take this opportunity to apologize, in case these occurred events have caused you, some kind of disturbances to consider our services not of your desires.

Besides we have a bunch of specialty restaurants you might have tried , and could find your desired one.

Based on your opinion about certain service, we express you our staff they are normally praised by most of our guest because of their very good job. Unfortunately your expectation was not met , although we have a variety of them you should have tried.

We hope to have the opportunity in the future to serve you without any inappropriate situations.

We look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I'm actually shocked at reading some of the negative reviews on this place.....I just don't see how anyone can think this place isn't overall amazing?!

My husband and I stayed here the last week of November to celebrate 15 years of marriage and we couldn't be any happier with our stay and choice of resort. We had originally planned to go back to Dreams Punta Cana which we had really enjoyed a few years ago but at the last minute decided to give Royal Suites a try.

It was very important for me specifically to have a swim out room and that's what we got. It was one of the best decisions of the whole trip. We never had to pack up and go down to one of the main pools as we had our own essentially private pool 2 steps out our sliding doors! On top of that, while lounging on the chairs right in the shallow part of the pool or swimming in the deeper parts, we were spoiled with waitresses who would come around to offer us food and drinks. We never waited long in between for service but honestly, it wasn't hard to swim over to the edge and call her over if needed, which she always showed up with a smile, taking our orders and encouraging us to "drink up" and enjoy!

The resort grounds are beautiful and obviously well taken care of. We always saw workers tending to something and the covered walkways were so nice to be able to avoid the hot sun if you wanted.

The food in general was VERY good. A lot of choice and being treated to "free" lobster at nearly every dinner was a fave for my husband. The steak house and hibachi were our favourites although the french was very good as well. I didn't personally love the gourmet but the mediteranean was ok. I think much of it is personal taste. The service in all restaurants was very good, we never waited long for anything except the meal in the steak house but seeing as we were on vacation, there was no hurry anyhow! It was actually a nice reminder to sit back, have a drink and just RELAX. We always tipped for service even though it's "included". We never felt that it was "expected" but could see it was appreciated and it was well deserved. These people work their butts off and we could see that more often than necessary, they were having to put up with outright MISERABLE people who clearly don't know how to go away, relax, and have a good time. The buffets were great with LOTS of variety. You never had to eat the same thing twice. Room service was great, never took longer than the 20-30 mins that the menu says and having them leave it in the little "cubby" and flip the light on so we didn't have to keep checking was a neat feature ;) The 24 hour sports bar was great, always hot food to be had.

We only saw one show which was the Michael Jackson show and it was AMAZING. I felt like I was at an actual MJ concert. The guitar player in the palace lobby the one night was fantastic, even I enjoyed it and it's not usually my cup of tea. My husband bought 2 of his CD's.

The butler service was awesome and other than one day, we never had trouble finding one of them to assist us when needed. Having the ability to get personal transportation anywhere we needed to go on the resort was fabulous as was having them there to make our reservations. We were treated to a bottle of champagne and fruit for our anniversary and while it took 2 days longer than first promised, we were still happy to receive it....again, we were in no hurry and weren't going to sweat the small stuff.

Beach is beautiful, warm and relaxing. It's not easy to get a chair/bed out there but it's definitely possible. People are constantly arriving and leaving so you just have to be ready and a bit patient. The "market" to the right is something you want to be careful of, the shop owners can be pretty pushy but a bit of consideration and firm kindness will get you far. They will learn to leave you be. We actually made some great friends in some of the shop owners without having to spend a ton of money.

Main lobby is beautiful, welcoming and the staff there were great. They all spoke english very well and gave us any answers we needed.

I can't comment on the pools throughout the resort as the only one we used was the one in front of our room. Can't comment on the spa either although I will say there were employees each morning encouraging us to visit but didn't push us at all once we said no thanks.

The were a few small things that we didn't bother to mention to anyone as we didn't feel that it was worth the trouble since everything else was so awesome. We went into this trip knowing we both needed and deserved a trip that was as carefree as possible and agreed not to sweat the small stuff. Not having much hot water for the jacuzzi tub wasn't a big deal. It would have been nice considering our room had the tub but we realized we were grateful that at least we always had hot water in the shower ;) Having to wait for our one meal longer than we should have and having a hard time finding a butler one day are not things that would deter us from going back to this place. As I said in the title, we're already planning our next trip back. Overall, the extra money you put out for a place like this is WELL worth it in our opinion. You get what you pay for here in a great way ;)

Room Tip: swim up rooms are the only way to go here, was the best part of our trip!
2  Thank niagaramom
Rsegarra, Gerente at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear. Mrs. Mr. Niagaramom.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from the 22-29th of November. We had a great time Despite the terrible service and resort flaws. First off, we solved the mysteries discussed by other travelers in relation to nabbing a decent beach/pool chair and with regards getting a swim-up room.

When we checked in, I was told by Ricky that all the Swim-up rooms were booked out. So we took a room on the second floor of the swim-up section. It was a nice room but very noisy. The building is one of those poorly designed blocks that have all the rooms exiting onto a marble corridor-courtyard. Therefore if one person slams a door, the entire building hears it. And of course, when there's about twenty rooms in a block, YOU WILL have at least one moron who thinks it's hilarious to shout out "Wha-hoo!" as they stagger home at 2AM.

So the next morning I went down to reception, found Ricky at reception and told him I'd give him X amount of dollars if he could get me a swim-up room. Without hesitation, he replied, "I will have one for you this afternoon. Please come back at 12 and I'll give you the key." So there you go - if you want a swim-up room, bribe the reception guys. While this worked for us, it's hardly acceptable behavior in a supposedly 5-star resort.

All the deckchairs at the pool and beach are taken by 7.30AM. At first I couldn't understand this as we're early risers and sit down to breakfast by 7.15AM and there aren't many tourists up yet. So at the end of the day, we left our towels and old magazines on our beach chairs. Lo-and-behold, the next morning they were still there and the chair was therefore reserved for us. It transpires that the staff don't remove old towels from the chairs over-night if something personal is left on them. While this suited us fine (once we'd figure the 'system' out), again it's hardly five-star appropriate practice.

The staff in the restaurants are basically useless and some of them are shockingly rude. Free Advice - Bring your own water/drinks from the bar to the restaurants as you'll be waiting about 20mins for someone to serve you, if at all. We had breakfast at the main buffet in Las Torres just the once. A waiter called Francis spent his time doing nothing by the water station. When we waved to him in a friendly manner that we'd like some water, he cynically waved back, raised his eyes and turned away. I had to go over and get the jug myself. He then slow-handclapped me as I walked back to my table. He then came over, snapped up the water jug, muttered some insults in Spanish to my wife and I, and went back to hang around his station. Unbelievable! I would've complained if there was a manager about - but there is NEVER a manager about, anywhere, EVER!

But none of this ruined our trip. The beach is fantastic. The drinks strong and the cocktails competently made. The food is ok and plentiful. Breakfast in the Royal Gourmet Restaurant is very good (and Francis doesn't work there!). The swim-up section is very quiet - though a planeload of Canadians, without a single book between them, arrived and tried to party around their rooms. But to give the generally useless and pointless butlers their due, they sorted that out pronto.

Service at the bars is hilarious. They'll treat you like rubbish until you flash-the-cash and then suddenly you're their best friend. Suited us eventually, but Five-star behaviour?

Management is so chaotic and inefficient, that my wife and I experimented with just how incompetent they were, as our trip went on. For example, we called down to reception to tell them we needed a pair of slippers as there was only one pair in the room. It took THREE DAYS of calls and empty assurances that they would be their in five minutes before a second pair appeared. We didn't really want the slippers - but were just curious if they could actually get something right eventually.

This resort makes a big deal about having full bottles of premium liquor in your room. My wife and I don't drink in the room (the swim-up bar was next to us) but we did notice that our bottles were all opened and half empty from the previous guests. So, again for a laugh, we reported this and requested replacements. Every day we were assured that they would be replaced shortly. Naturally this NEVER happened! Six phone calls, six assurances, no replacements! Hilarious.

The trollies that are supposed to drop guests around the island are a pathetic failure. It seems the staff use them to zoom around by themselves. And there seems to be some type of system where some of the trollies are only for the bellboys and not for ferrying guests about - but naturally, in this place, all the trollies look the same and therefore may or may not stop for you. We should've tried waving about some dollars about to see if they'd pick us up.

All in all, it was a great week away. We made sure that we didn't need the staff and management for anything important after the first day, so we just got on with our own holiday.

The room-cleaners are excellent. The grounds and beach are beautiful.

I would definitely NOT return, obviously. But if you're going, you'll have a great time as long as bring a brick of single-dollar-bills and do your best to avoid depending on the management/staff for anything important.

2  Thank Sean M

Dear. Mr. Sean M

Thank you for taking the time for sending us a feeback on your experience with us This is a wonderful opportunity to clarify certain aspects that maybe you were not completely aware of the services offered.

Transportation is set up for all 4 hotels, with 4 trams making one complete round on the complex every 20 minutes. Guests in The Royal Suites have an additional service provided with the golf karts you mention passing by empty which are an exclusive service to Royal guests.

Other transportations are also available such as the spa, the casino and the Travel Club. The last service with golf karts is the one provided for all guests, only for arrivals and departures (read with luggage). If any given transportation is not busy and happen to find a guest going in the same direction, they could pick you up. Many guests mistake this as an included service and might get disappointed when the service is not available.

Our apologies on the technical issue with your room, this always depend on availability we have at hand; Hope the technical services was pron to assist you. As understandable, these kinds of incidents are not planned but can happen anywhere.

merry christmas.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We are regular travellers to the Caribbean and have been to Mexico, Cuba and several other All Inclusive resorts in this area. The Royal Suites has great facilities and grounds, all of which are beautifully kept and maintained. The staff are friendly, but there is a general lack in service quality, which really shows up in the restaurants. In all the other resorts that we have been to, every restaurant has one person in charge, they walk the room and direct the serving activity, to make sure that no one is missed in this busy environment. The Royal Suites don't seem to operate this system and as a result we were often left waiting. Waiting to be offered a drink, waiting for our order to be be taken, waiting for wine to be refilled and on one night, we waited an hour for our main course to be brought out. When I complained to the lady who took the order, she apologised but gave no explanation, we waited for 15 minutes more and then left without eating that evening!
If you are first in the restaurant, it seems to work, but after the first wave of people they seem to lose track and it all went wrong in our experience.

This resort could be every bit as good as any other that we have been to, but dining is a integral part of the holiday experience for us and this wasn't a good experience on our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear. Mr. traveling man Bristol.

Thank you very much for selecting the grand palladium Royal Suites Turquesa. As your vacations in the Caribbean.

In this regard, we would appreciate your suggestion, Just by knowing your opinion, we will be able to improve our standards and facilities accordingly to your needs.

Unfortunately your expectations were not met at all; we apologize for these mentioned events that occurred on your last experience here. This is a great opportunity to let you know, that we will take all pertinent corrections in order this do not happen in the future.

Once again, thanks for selecting The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium as your destination and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.