“Wonderful place to stay, got in on an upgrade and would pay full price to stay there next time!”

The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
Ranked #51 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was my first holiday outside of Europe and could not have picked a better place! We were upgraded to the Royal Suites as where we had booked to stay was undergoing maintenance works. The room was gorgeous and so big, so much space! We weren't hopeful when we found the light switch hanging off the wall upon arrival to our room but they were quick to solve this and the staff were really helpful. This was the only problem we had on our stay, I got a little sick but I think everyone does when they aren't used to the food and they cook everything in coconut oil. Cannot wait to return but will take a couple of years of saving!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Zoe M
ltajes, Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Zoe M,

With all our affection we want to thank you for your commentaries, you help us to increase every day,

Thank you for choosing The Royal Suites Turquesa as your special gateway.

We will be waiting for your return.

Greetings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,024)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was my first trip to Punta Cana and overall it was Amazing! Reading the different reviews on here had me a bit nervous about the complex, food, and drinks- but my worries were all for nothing- and I am a picky person with pretty high standards! First, we were upgraded to the Royal Suites from the Palace, and given a beautiful swim up room (which are fully updated) on top of that...so way to go GP! I will say though, while the concept of a private butler is great, its a bit frustrating when they're MIA half the time, but due to the upgrade I can't really complain too much about that... I will say though we had a terrible time with getting wash cloths...I had to ask for them every day... We also had a slight problem with our AC the first night, but it was fixed the next day...

The complex itself is beautifully landscaped and quite large, so the buggies and train they have are a necessity; they could actually use a few more...the wait time for them could be excessive at times...even for the Royal Suites, which has its own exclusive set of buggies separate from the other three properties. I did not find any of the staff rude or inappropriate as some of the other reviewers have, everyone was actually quite nice and accommodating. If you are travelling from the states, you have to keep in mind two things: 1) This is a Spanish speaking country, and many if not most of the people working there have never left the country or have a need to speak English, except to accommodate you, so many of them don't. Grab a Spanish English dictionary or cheat sheet before you go and you might fare a little better. 2) Not everyone that visits there speaks English...I actually found that English speaking vacationers were in the minority- so for this one -you may need to put that good ole sense of entitlement Americans can have aside...

Dining- Overall I found the food here to be more than edible and in some restaurants more than good! The only restaurant I struggled deeply with is the Royal Gourmet - which is exclusive to guests in the Royal Suites...My friends and I all agreed that the food there was awful! If your headed here, avoid this one! The breakfast and lunch buffets throughout the complex were pretty similar with only slight differences between them so you should be good to go at any of them...The buffets can get a bit repetitive, but there's an easy fix for that...don't eat everything at one time! Break it up a bit and you should definitely have enough variety to get you through your stay without getting burnt out on the same thing. All of the other A la Carte restaurants I tried were very good: the Mediterranean Seafood; the Brazilian restaurant; and the Japanese restaurant. The food at the French restaurant was good too, but the atmosphere was a little dry for me there... Unlike some of the other reviewers, we did not have any wait times for dinner - guess we picked a really good week :-)

The pool areas were also nice and clean. I stayed at the either our swim up pool or the main pool area for the Royal ( water is nice and heated) and we had no problems with lounge chair or drink access.

The beach was absolutely amazing, and again no problems with access to lounge beds(a few of these need to be cleaned or repaired though), chairs, or drink access - with the exception that a waitress or waiter does not serve you on the beach so you have to go to the kiosks to get your drinks...Take a large insulated cup with you for fewer trips.

If you sign up to go to the Vacation club presentation, be sure to get the free gift you were promised upfront! We were swindled. After being promised a $300.00 coupon for the SPA, when we arrived they told us they were all out but could have a $70.00 coupon good for use on one of our excursions which turned out to be worth only $35.00 and a $50.00 coupon to the logo shop. This was the only disappointing part of our stay.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: The bottom level of any of the rooms in building 53,54,56,58, are Swim Up!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank La_Negra45202
Dear La_Negra45202,

We want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay at The Royal Suites Turquesa.

Thank you for choosing The Royal Suites Turquesa for your well deserved vacations.

We apologize for the inconvenience and we invite you too return in any season of your preference.

Mississauga
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have been to the Palladium Palace and the Royal Suites about 7 times now in the past few years. Keep going back!!

This past June/July did a mother-daughter trip (with my 21-year old daughter) to the ROYAL SUITES and it was absolutely beautiful as usual.
The room was a swim-up in building #56, beautiful clean room, with lots of lovely towel art from our maid. We ordered room service only once for lunch (burgers) and it very good. Its wonderful to have your drinks brought to you in your lounger in the water, feeling a little spoiled.

Spent most of the days on the absolutely beautiful beach where we were also served our drinks in the loungers. Love Patricio! They also bring little mini pizzas around lunchtime. The pool bar has wonderful staff who are always laughing and joking and make the best cappacinos (and the best mamajuanas). You are truly made to feel special at this resort.

We had one afternoon with a little rain so we took the opportunity to catch a complimentary bus from the Bavaro side which takes you to a local mall. We chose the San Juan Mall as we have already been to the Palma Reel a few times. (You can check the times in the Lobby). The mall was quite large and actually had some beautiful stores. We even went to the local supermarket in the mall (Super Polo) where we purchased some scented orange/cinnamon oil, it is the same beautiful fragrance you smell when you walk into the Royal Suites Lobby, love it, I was trying to find this for years.

We had breakfast every morning in the Royal Gourmet (our favourite waiter -- Francis). My favourite are the crepes with guava jelly and the crepe girl named Dulce Maria is just awesome!!

Our favourite dinner spots -- The Steakhouse, The Japanese and Italian. Absolutely loved The Chanterelle, you must have the Chateaubriand. It doesn't have the crust but it is really delicious. The staff and service was wonderful in all the locations.

Our favourite little spot was the little bar between the Italian and Steakhouse. The strawberry champagne was always topped up by our favourite boys, Ramone and Escelante, we also brought them some baseball caps from Canada and they loved them!

Most evenings we spent around the Palace Lobby and sometimes the Punta Cana Lobby, love our favourite girl Ana Ester!!! We also popped into the Casino most evenings just to cool off and play a little roulette. We made some good friends from California who we had dinner with as well.

We did book the Spa one morning for a hot stone massage, really relaxing. Also had a massage right on the beach, that is my favourite.

We love this resort, from the minute you walk into the beautiful lobby you are treated like Royalty, everyone is so kind, always trying to please. My husband and I are returning back to the Royal Suites at the end of September -- our favourite place!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Beachbound007
Dear Beachbound007,

From the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We try to provide a good team to our guests; comments like yours are the best motivation for them; who work to keep the service and facilities at the height of your needs.

We greatly appreciate that we have totally satisfied your well deserved vacations.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I got my second trip to the Royal Suites and I wasn't happy. I bring my daughter for her 25th b/d celebration and was expected at least the same service I've had before. Needless to say I never saw my butler, and I was taking care of everything and any needs during our 1 week stay... I did the restaurant reservation with him by the phone but it wasn't there when we came over for dinner... Didn't expect it!!... Anyway I still like to say that the suite was great and the pool was excellent, the beach was nice, a la carte restaurants/ French is my favorite/ were pretty good with very friendly staff. Would I like to go back?? Probably I'd look for the other place...

Room Tip: upgrade to the Swim Up Royal Suites (1st floor), it's worth!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 2006elvira
Dear 2006elvira,

On behalf of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium we want to thank you for the dedicated time you spent to share your suggestions.

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, we are working to improve our services.

Congratulations for your daughter's birthday, One more time thank you very much,

Regards.
ST.JOHN'S, NL
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel: for an all inclusive vacation, the hotel is where you want to spend the least amount of time. In saying so, the hotel on this resort gave the option to lounge when raining or in the evenings as a place to hang about. Unfortunately, the hotel layout was awkward for getting around as the major pool areas were oddly placed, and there seemed to be no concept of getting the people in that area to get up from the loungers [few and far between] and have a good time.

Food: it's all inclusive on the resort, which means they try to mass produce meals to suit everyone's taste. We did the buffets and each night chose a different venue for our supper [steakhouse, japanese, italian, etc ...] All of which left little to complain about. The food was excellent and the buffet was amazing. If you wanted to be a grumpy food stickler and eat only pizza and french fries, you had that option. But, we enjoyed sampling all the foods and the seafood items they had were great. Room service is the only dull mark on the food scale as often food was under cooked especially when ordering a night pizza only to get a soggy mess when you really wanted a crispy crust cheesy pizza. :(

Staff: our staff at our room was great and the bar staff around our small hut / common area were amazing. they offered drinks and water and knew us by name at the end and treated us with respect and we did the same to them. it's hard to cater to people in the hot weather and it was greatly appreciated.

Cons: the downside to the staff came in the form of front desk staff in the main lobby. They seemed to have no clue where anything was or where to direct us when asking for directions. Also, on several occasions a la carte staff seemed to bluntly mock the patrons waiting outside for the doors to open to restaurants for service. In fact, their attitude caused us to skip a meal at our preferred restaurant for the night to another because of this rude attitude.

Cons: the departure from the hotel was a complete 180 from arrival. on arrival we made it to the room in record time and with great service. Upon leaving it seemed nothing was planned and we along with several other couples waited hours to get our rooms checked for final departure from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JASON O
Dear JASON O,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

Thanks for highlighting these details; we work to improve every day.

Thank you very much.
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We reserved the honeymoon suite. The room was on the 3rd floor with no elevator. My new husband has knee issues which was told to the butler assigned to us but no there was no offer to move us. The communication is a big issue for English speaking guests. The temp in our room was pre-set at 80 and we were hot. We called and complained but it never got any cooler. We sweated and were uncomfortable. The drinks are a joke. We were there a week and no bartender could make a decent drink. Most popular drinks were pre made in a machine and not good. The staff was unfriendly and distant. Our "butler" was absent most of the time and it took forever to get anything... We tipped but it still did no good... The service was bad... Extremely disappointed in the resort. We paid a premium amount for sub-par service. We will not return to the DR. Too many other places with great beaches to visit who will appreciate their guests better.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank GS-Russell
Dear GS-Russell,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We apologize for our services and that we do not full fill you expectations as well. All comments are very important for us, which is a valuable tool for us to continue improving.

Thanks for highlighting these details; we hope to see you soon at our resort.

East Anglia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Having been to the Grand Palladium Bavaro last year we persuaded our friends to join us this year on holiday as we had had such a great time. A week before we were due to leave (2-16th August) Thomson contacted us to say that there was building work so we were to be moved to the Royal Suites Turquesa. Knowing how lovely this looked we were not worried - and this proved right as it was fantastic from start to finish.
We were placed in rooms next to each other (5907/5908 I think). The rooms were enormous with a bedroom, lounge, bathroom and 1 balcony overlooking the private pool and the other balcony (yes we had 2!) overlooked the gardens and walkways. Everything was clean and tidy.
The Japanese restaurant was a favourite, as was the Steak house. Being upgraded we also had the use of the gourmet restaurant and the french restaurant. Both were really good. We have never eaten so much lobster - which was all included in the Royal suites package.
We went on the Saona boat trip which was very good, and also went parasailing which we purchased from one of the beach vendors.
A special mention must go to Sharon the Thomson rep. Once again she was always willing to help.
We must also thank the management as we had emailed them before we knew about the upgrade to see if we could have any upgrade due to being returning customers. The response from them was very positive - even though it wasnt needed in the end.
In all we had a fantastic holiday once again so cannot fault it.

Room Tip: Block 59 on the 2nd floor - gd views and not overlooked.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank legin59
Dear legin59,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa, we wants to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Comments like yours are the best motivation for our team.

Once again thank you for choosing The Royal Suites Turquesa and for trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

We look forward for your return.