The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“wow”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

we arrived on the 2nd july 2013 and was upgraded to the royal suites hotel part as the bravo is having some building work going on , the royal suites hotel is amazing , adults only so lovely and peaceful . your own restaurants that you do not have to book, butlers on each block that will book other al a carte restaurants so you do not have to queue. you can use all the other facilities within the hotel so you are not limited. the resort is huge but once you get your bearings its not so bad, the staff are very good and helpful. food is lovely and so much choice.
during our visit a tropical storm was suppose to hit dominican they applied all efforts to limit disruption and although the storm vied off during the night, they had everything in place to limit damage.
we would return to hotel with no hesitation although we would probably want the upgrade to royal suite.
trips we did a beach buggy trip which was good , and a Caribbean cruise which was all day and expensive, it was good but probably not worth the money we have been to the Dominican 5 times now and love it but the trips have nearly doubled in price ,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank laurainapete
ltajes, Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear browngirl51,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We will be waiting for your return.

Thank you very much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I'll start this review by setting some expectations: yes, the resort is advertised as a 5-star, and no it isn't The Ritz or the Burj-Al-Arab, but it is exceptionally good for what you pay for. If you have expectations of a £15k a night resort you should consider going to one instead of here. Some of the reviews are so negative and I just don't understand it.

Anyway, we came here on our honeymoon and everything about the two weeks we spent here was great. We had originally been booked into the Grand Palladium Bavaro resort but as there is some work going on there they upgraded us to the Royal Suites - this was the first of many great experiences we had while we were there. The first positive point I want to make is regarding the staff; in the Royal Suites they are fantastic, so helpful and exceptionally welcoming. I would like to give a special mention to Miguelina at the lobby bar, she is brilliant and very chatty. Ok, the chat was mainly in Spanish but like most of the staff she does speak English and is absolutely dedicated to ensuring that your stay is the best it can be (if the management are reading this, please pass on our thanks to her, she helped make our stay feel special). The bell boys who help ferry you around the resort and generally carry things around are also brilliant, very warm and friendly.

Our room was great, very spacious and kept spotless by our ninja-like cleaner. She clearly kept an eye on when we went out, as there were a few times when I popped back to the room about 15 minutes after leaving and she had already been in. A couple of dollars a day as a tip ensured we had a well stocked minibar and various other treats along the way. In terms of room facilities, the bed was great, the shower was excellent and there was a lot of storage space. Only minor gripe was that the signal on the tv was a bit choppy, but we didn't really spend much time watching tv so it wasn't a major issue.

The rest of the resort was generally great, although we did spend the majority of time at the main pool just lazing around. A quick point, and something that the management need to look at: people were going down to the pool at 5am and leaving towels, then not going back until late in the afternoon. It drove us mad that there were loads of sunbeds and barely anyone around, except for a few truly dedicated sunbathers who, like us, wanted to spend the day there. I know it goes on everywhere but the towels being left were blue pool towels that are given out at the hut, so I think if there are no personal belongings at the sunbeds that the management need to take these towels away and let the folks who actually want to use the beds use them!! We saw plenty of people get really annoyed by this, so I know I am not alone in feeling like this. They also mention it in the hotel T&C's, so I think they could do better with this.

While I'm having a small dig, I should also mention the a la cartes: don't bother with them except for Le Chanterelle. The food in them is actually great, and I really enjoyed the steak I had in the steakhouse. The service, however, is the worst I have ever experienced in a restaurant. The 'greeter' at the steakhouse should be fired, she was bored, unhelpful and frankly rude. The service didn't get much better, so we don't recommend it at all.

In stark contrast, the folks who are waiters at the Las Torres buffet were just superb. I would like to personally thank Hector and the guys for being not only hilarious but genuinely friendly - they remembered our names, kept a seat for us and made sure we were spoiled. They are a credit to the resort.

I could go on a lot longer but I will conclude with some useful tips:-

- don't bother taking Dominican Pesos, everything in the resort is priced in US Dollars, although they do still accept Pesos if you have them
- the staff like tips, and we found that a dollar when your table is cleared, when your room is cleaned, when your drinks arrive, etc, is much appreciated. Take plenty of single dollar bills.
- take a decent mosquito repellent, as my missus was bitten everywhere. They sell it in the supermarket but it is expensive

What a great resort, what great weather, what lovely people. We will definitely be back.

2 Thank mephistophiles
Dear mephistophiles,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa, we wants to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Thank you for trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was a bit disappointed in this resort. After a lot of research, I thought I found the perfect place. In hindsight I wish I had spent a little more and gone to a nicer resort. Its definitely not what I would call a 5 star hotel for several reasons:

-The food at the Royal Suites was not bad, but there are only 2 exclusive restaurants to RST guests. There are other options for restaurants at the resorts on the complex but they were pretty bad all around, with exception of the Japanese restaurant, which was fun. The Italian restaurant was absolutely horrible- horrible service, cold food, just not a good experience. Don't go. The Bamboo restaurant was not accommodating to vegetarians at all- despite ordering a vegetarian entree, there was shrimp in the dish. The description stated something about rice and stewed tomatoes and I basically got shrimp fried rice. Mexican and Mediterranean restaurants were just OK. The Brazilian restaurant had good service and was fun and the food was fine- nothing great. Overall, I did not like the 4 resort set up for restaurants- its not adults only when you have to go to non-adults only hotels to eat meals. Granted I could have just stayed at the 2 RST restaurants, but if I had a chance to do it again, I would have picked an adults only resort with more adults only restaurant options.
-Room service: Might as well not exist. We have only stayed at one other all inclusive, but compared to that resort (Secrets in Riviera Maya), the RST room service was abysmal. We had a swim up room so we thought it would be great to get breakfast or lunch by the pool, but room service took about 2 hours and they got the order wrong. Also (this is not a big deal) but there was supposed to be a mini bar stocked with various liquors- stocked once a week. When we asked about it, the front desk said they would get us some- they never did.
-Cleanliness- could have been cleaner and the furniture could have been better kept
-Drinks were very weak (sometimes not alcohol in them at all) and wine was bad.

The good stuff:
I still had a great time with my husband, we had nice weather, the swim up room was nice, it was relaxing and the staff was nice (although not always accommodating).

Overall: You get what you pay for. I wish I stayed in a smaller fully adults-only all inclusive and paid a little more for a true 5 star resort.

1 Thank Nicole C
Dear Nicole C,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We apologize for our services and that we do not full fill you expectations as well. All comments are very important for us, which is a valuable tool for us to continue improving.

Once again thank you very much; we hope to see you soon at our resort.

Cobourg Ontario
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'll keep this short, because people get sick of long reviews lol

We spent our honeymoon here, from June4th-13th

We had great weather, loved our hotel, we upgraded near the end to a swim up and jesus I wish we had done so right from the beginning. SO WORTH THE MONEY.

I believe most of the negative reviews are from overly picky people.

for the most part we loved it here. We did however, both at separate times get sick from food, BUT it's our own fault, we should have known better to not eat meats off the salad bar when in all likelihood they were out in the open like that all day. It sucked getting sick, but we did such amazing things in PC that it evens out. All the other times we ate, we loved our food.

I highly suggest the shark/stingray swim excursion. It was truly amazing. I would have spent the money to do it again if we had more time. The zip lining is also well worth the money. An incredible experience. HARD to do, but worth it.

DO NOT waste your money on the Saona Island excursion. What a waste of money and a day. Longest day ever. Put it this way, we got on our bus at 8am, we were the ONLY people that spoke English, the rest were VERY rude Europeans, and we got to the hotel at 630. During that time we spent a VERY boring 2 hours at a beach that was far less than the beach at RST. Not worth the money or your time. I don't know how it gets good reviews.

Our butler Angel was AMAZING to us at the RST hotel. So big shout out to him for being so kind!

I will say again, swim up is worth the money, main pool gets crowded so it was nice to have a quiet option.

Go with an open mind that you're in a foreign country, enjoy the simple things, soak it all in. It's beautiful.

Room Tip: Spend the money on a swim up room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angey B
ltajes, Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Angey B,

From the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We are proud that you chose The Royal Suites Turquesa, we work to satisfy your needs.

Once again thank you very much, we look forward for your return.

Greetings.
Mondsee
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I don't understand what people want from a holiday. We had an absolutely wonderful time and we will definitely be going back. We stayed in 5901, which was a Cabana suite with a swim up. It was just perfect from us.

The only compliant that I would say are the other guests, not the hotel staff. People just don't have any manners and do not think of others around them. So you have to complain to the hotel staff about them, who I will say deal with it perfectly, however the reciprients don't like it (even though they are the ones shouting over loud music, and swearing to their hearts content.

This hotel is fabulous, the staff work very hard and the whole experience is blissful. I would say to all the complainers, stay away and leave it for us to continue to enjoy.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are the way to go. (Especially if you are like me and don't like walking!)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank curlywurlyMondsee
Dear curlywurlyMondsee,

Thank you for choosing The Royal Suites Turquesa and for trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

Wellington, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed 6/29 - 7/6, 2013 was wonderful! Our Swim-Up Room was just peaceful. The Royal Suites is for Adults only. The hotel room was immaculate. The attention you get from such humble workers is admirable. Yes, we were treated like royalty! If your room comes with Butler service, I suggest you reviews all the A la Carte restaurants and choose the ones you'd like to try. Give your Butler the List as I did and he made reservations daily for us. The Buffets are beyond plentiful and offer a lot of variety. I recommend you befriend the waiters/waitresses and they will anticipate your arrival and give you excellent attention. TIPPING is important although not necessary, however, I do encourage you take single American dollars ($1). The Staff are really hard workers and we can't forget to not only say thank you, but a single dollar brings joy to them. In conclusion, I'm super picky & research any place I want to visit. I dissect all the reviews. I recommend this place without a doubt. IT'S SO RELAXING! I will return!!!!

Room Tip: Royal Suites are Adults only...if you prefer quiet pool bathing away from busy bars, reserve a Swim...
2 Thank Lissette M
Dear Lissette M,

We will be waiting for your next vacations.

Thank you very much.
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I came to this beautiful resort for our honeymoon. We had an absolutely wonderful time and would definitely suggest it to friends, family or anyone considering traveling to the Dominica. Our butlers and all of the staff members we encountered were very helpful and incredibly nice. There is not one bad thing I can say about the resort, all of the food was good, we really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant and went there more than once. The beach was very clean, close to the resort, and the water was beautiful. The pools were also very clean and refreshing. Our suite was one of the swim up suites and I HIGHLY suggest booking a swim up room, so convenient and unique!

Room Tip: Swim up room is a must!!
2 Thank Beth R
Dear Beth R,

We work to keep the service and facilities at the height of your needs, we greatly appreciate that we have totally satisfied your well deserved vacations.