“we had an amazing time - ignore the bad reviews”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Romford, England, United Kingdom
“we had an amazing time - ignore the bad reviews”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

me and my bf came here on the 28th june for 11 nights... we were treated like royalty by our 2 butlers snyther and starling and the bar staff at the pool were friendly.
the grounds were kept in pristine condition with gardners there all day (walk past the right one and they will chop you down a fresh coconut haha) big variety of food and entertainment

3 Thank Jade L
ltajes, Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Jade L,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in our Resort.

We are glad to know that we full fill your expectations as well.

We will be waiting for your next vacations.

Best Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Myself & my girlfriend stayed here for 2 weeks in July and had a fantastic time.

Before we left i read a lot of reviews on here, many negative and had some worries but it turned out that perfectly. How anyone can fault this is beyond me.

Travel/Arrival

The airport is brilliant, pretty well organised, not long to wait and very clean. Watch for bag porters who poach you to carry your bags - a simple "no thank you" and they leave. We originally had booked to stay at the Bavaro section but recieved a free upgrade upon arrival which was brilliant. We checked-in at Bavaro where we were greeted with ice cold flanels adn a cocktail, check-in itself was very quick and the receptionist were very friendly. We were then taken up to the Royal suites section by buggy which were great to get about in. A small tip to the drivers means a great deal to them also and they are very thankful. We got to our room and had a couple of problems with it (shower light did not work, no iron/ironboard & coffemaker). These were sorted straight away and were no issue to us.

Hotel & Rooms

The hotel itself is beautiful. The gardens and beach are fantastic, kept so clean its ridiculous.
Our room was cleaned everyday & was immaculate, a special thanks to our maid Jaqueline who always done a terrific job and was always saying hola to us! The fridge was stocked everyday with Budwieser, Presidente, coke, fanta, sprite & water - very handy! The swimming pool is brillliant, swim-up bar is great and there is also a waiting service which are great. Yes the towel game is in full force but it cant be help and if you cant beat them i eventually folded and joined them, even though i find it silly! The beach is postcard perfect, amazing! Some people i noticed complaining about vendors being aggresive, constant etc, its nonsense if i am honest. Yes there is vendors but a simple no thank you and they go away and i would get asked a maximum of twice a day. The complex is huge and i mean huge. Before i went i had read reviews saying similar and didnt imagine how big it actually is. There is a handy bus service which goes round the complex but does take a bit of time - best way to do it is flag down a buggy or ask at reception who will happily radio one to collect you, they are much faster.

Restaurants & Bars

The restaurants were brilliant, huge choice and always something different. As a royal suite guest you have the advantage of two exclusive restaurants, The Royal Gourmet & The La'chanterelle which is French. Wasnt a fan of La'Chanterelle but the royal gourmet is brilliant. Also as a royal suite guest you are able to reserve the a la'cartes - all are briliant but i would highly recommend the Japanese (make sure you get a show table), steakhouse, mexican & chinese. Buffets are all good and have a wide choice for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

There are lots of different shows/bars/casino & night club to go to. Our usual haunt was Hemmingways at the Bavaro part, cocktails were great, nice & cool and service was great. We had a lovely lady who always served us and gave us a big smile, unfortunatley didnt get her name but we would like to thank her. Casino is okay for a bit of fun, there are shops to have a wander about to and the main reception bars have bands on everynight which were good.

Negatives

Now to the negatives......to be honest i have none, it was great, staff are all lovely, hotel is beautiful and food & drink is great! The only thing i would say is people that moan or complain about the language barrier, i think this is ridiculous! You can easily get by with some basic english, the majority of staff are very good at basic english and really try, we had a go at spanish which the staff really appreciated and got a good laugh out of haha!! Imagine if they came to the UK or USA, would you learn spanish for them?!?! I also found a small minority of Americans & i repeat SMALL, very rude & ignorant to staff & to hotel guests. This i thought was ridiculous and very uncalled for, no need for it at all!

All in all we had a holiday of a lifetime, best two weeks we have had. I will definately be back to this hotel in the future. A big thanks/gracias to our butlers we had, Snyther Sabala & Stalin - you guys were brilliant, always helped with any problems etc thank you!!

If you have booked to go to Grand Palladium, dont worry, you'll love it!

Room Tip: Ask for pool or Seaview room!
3 Thank Angus L
Dear Angus L,

From the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We are proud that you chose The Royal Suites Turquesa, trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

We really appreciate your feedback, we look forward for your return.

Once again thank you very much,

Greetings.
Allentown, PA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I visited for our anniversary in the beginning of June. We stayed at the resort once prior in 2007 prior to the new section being finished. We had a Romance Suite booked and had requested to be upgraded to a Swim out suite. Originally we were told no romance suites were available and we could have a Deluxe Suite swim out which is the same price, so we were thrilled. Ronnie, Room Manager, was able to get us a Romance Swim Up which was amazing! We had no problems with our room or stay. We are actually a few days away from booking our return visit. The beach was great and we didn't have much problem finding shade and seating. I could see how during prime season this would be a huge issue though. We really only ate at the two exclusive restaurants as we enjoyed the staff and food. They were out of lobster for half our trip which as very dissappointing. I would suggest that the Royal Suites area get an evening bar that people would enjoy to hang out at. The one negative of this section is there is no night life. Sure you can go to another section, but it would be nice to have a place to socialize and have a few drinks and meet people. Overall, we had a great time and plan to return. Ronnie is a great asset to the resort and was def one of our favorites there. Swim out rooms are a must!! If you are in the new section and don't have a swim out, you will feel out of place using the pools as they are narrow and seem to belong to those swim out rooms. Not to mention the swim out rooms are just all around great!! We were in building 51 which got all the afternoon sun which was great. Beach in the AM, pool in the early PM.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend a swim out room. Building 51 was great and closest to the main lobby. You...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PAJoebo
Dear PAJoebo,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa, we wants to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Comments like yours are the best motivation; congratulations for your anniversary.

We look forward for your return.

Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had to write a review although I never seem to find the time..I was concerned about coming back and finding out that things had changed. It was awesome and my worries were put to rest when we pulled up and the bell hop Thomas remembered us from 2 years ago. We got the room we requested and other employees remembered us thruout the resort.They made us feel very special. Karina at LasTorres. Dolores at the beach and Gleny. These people truly make an effort to make everything easy. The resort iis beautiful and kept pristine by an army of workers. The food is an excellent value for the all inclusive resort type. I reccomend the swimup suites. The Chanterelle Restaurant and the Gourmet. No reservations needed, no kids and probably the best food. The BEACH IS AWESOME. NO ROCKS! There are plenty of resorts in the area and we have stayed elsewhere but I will return and bring my friends.

1 Thank Elliotmatos
Dear Elliotmatos,

We are really thankful for the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

We will be waiting for your return.

Thank you very much.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was are 2nd time to RST and we had a blast. The 1st time we had a regular swim up this time we got the deluxe swim up room 5507. What a great location felt like we had a private pool the entire week. We ate at a different place every night and only had 1 bad meal (Italian). One of the main reason we came back was to see are Butler Melky she had just suffered from some personal issues and we did not think we would we see her but she did come back to work the last 3 days we were there. She made sure we got the room we wanted and takes so much pride in her job if you get her you will not be disappointed. We also enjoyed seeing Captain Tomas again a true professional. While the language barrier can be difficult we found the staff to do the best they could. The room was great very clean also the grounds were very nice. I will say the 1st Butler a lady we met was very good. Medina I believe was her name but the other guy was not very friendly even though we had already made all dinner reservations the 1st day and never really needed anything from him he would never make eye contact or say hello so I never got his name as we tried to strike up a conversation with him. The beach is awesome and friends of ours who went with were able to get a nice spot every morning around 7:30 am so I don't know how bad the towel game was on the beach but most spots around the main pool were taken but we did not use it since we had our own private pool. There were no power outages during are stay and the wifi worked pretty good. Melky also put me in touch Go Golf and I was able to play 3 rounds of golf and they were great. We will return and I do suggest getting a swim up

1 Thank Allen_63
Dear Allen_63,

Comments like yours are the best motivation for them; we work to keep the service and facilities at the height of your needs.

We greatly appreciate that we have totally satisfied your well deserved vacations.

Kaufman, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2013

First, please remember this is not an expensive resort. Do not expect amazing service or food because it will not be happening. They are definitely on "Caribbean time" and nothing is done in a hurry.
Check in was smooth. Our rooms weren't ready because it was 1:00 so we were sent to eat lunch at the Royal Gourmet Buffet. It was fine. We went back to the lobby and our rooms were ready at 2:30. The room was a junior deluxe suite. It was clean and very cool. The beds are quite hard so be prepared. Our mini fridge had one coke, one coke light, one fanta, one sprite and a bunch of presidente beer along with a large bottle of water. There are also four bottles of liquor in the room. We got these same drinks every day.
We ate at Le Chanterelle the first night. The chateau briand was very good. The meat was cooked perfectly to medium rare for us. We enjoyed this dinner. I had creme brulee for dessert - it was soupy sugar soup. I've never met a creme brulee I didn't like until now. Oh well, c'est la vie.
The next night we ate Japanese. It was perfectly awful. I cannot say one good thing about the food. The third night we tried Italian. I cannot remember the last time I spit food out into a napkin but I had to at this restaurant. The cheese ravioli was a mush mess and the tiramisu was so "weird" that no one at the table would eat it. I guess the Dominican palate is different from the American palate. This must be the case. We decided to stick to buffets after that. I have stayed at an inexpensive all inclusive in Cancun before and the buffet there was definitely more "American" friendly. These buffets were quite unusual. If you have kids, I would beware of the sister resorts next door because they are the same food.
The good part --- The beach is fabulous. The server comes by about every hour to ask what you need to drink. The water was beautiful and fun to swim in - we didn't see any fish or anything else alive in the water so it was kind of like a big pool that moved. Ladies, everyone wears bikinis-all ages, all sizes. I haven't worn a bikini since my honeymoon 26 years ago, but I did this week.
The grounds are also extremely beautiful. I don't think we will return due to the food being not our cup of tea but if you are not a picky eater, this place is a great idea!
We booked through Cheap Caribbean and our drivers were super.

Dear Debbie D,

On behalf of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium we want to thank you for the dedicated time you spent to share your suggestions.

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, thanks to you and all our customers suggestions we are working to improved our services.

One more time thank you very much, we invite you to return in any season of your preference.

Regards.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2013

First, I NEVER write bad reviews even when my stay isn't great and for the most part to expect too much other than cleanliness, friendly staff and a decent room on vacation. This resort is so terrible I feel compelled to warn anyone considering going here. My wife and I have been to Punta Cana 3 times in the past 4 years. We love it there and have been spoiled by great resorts and great people. That all came to an end with our last trip.
We like to try new resorts so we went to Royal Suites Turquesa. We booked an ocean view suite and we were taken to a room in the back section of the resort, at least 2-3 blocks off the beach. The room itself was DISGUSTING. The A/C was broken, the fridge was broken, there was a leak in the ceiling resulting in a large puddle on the slick tile floor, the shower stall flooded, the toilet did not have a flush plate (just a hole in the wall with wires and plastic pieces sticking out, there was dirt and gunk on all the windows and screens, dirt and gunk on the shower which also had random writing all over it (maybe it said "replace me" in Spanish), the blinds were broken and did not open so the room was dark and dingy, and all the furniture had random and multiple stains (literally every piece of furniture was stained). It took 2 days for the staff to change our room. We arrived on a Sunday and I didn't see the beach until Tuesday because they would not change our room. I even stated that I would be fine if they only had a lesser room, as long as it was clean. They said they had nothing available for remainder of the week even though I walked the manager to the internet lobby and showed him that the hotel's own website was showing every single room type was still available to book. When I asked him what they would do if I booked a room right there and walked over to check in he said, "Well why don't you do that then?" Finally moved to a new room on Tuesday and it wasn't much better. While we did get our ocean view it came with an ungodly smell, ant infestation and staff that felt comfortable walking into your room at any time of day, even with a do not disturb sign up. At one point two staff members walked in and i was standing in my boxer shorts. They did not ask if they could enter and proceeded to change one of the curtains. When I asked if something was wrong with the old curtain they said "no" and went back to their work. The staff entered our room when we did not want them there 3 times and never were we given an explanation as to why they were in there. I understand a language barrier and of course it doesn't help that I don't speak Spanish but the staff almost refused to speak English at all. The waiters would only hiss, meow and chirp like birds at you. I don't know how to communicate with that...should I bark in return? The Butler service was non-existent and most of the restaurants were in the family area so we did not experience adults only. The food made both my wife and me violently ill. I have never gotten sick from food and don't expect 5 star dining at an all but I also don't expect blood to be running through my fried chicken (not pink...dark red, running blood). All of our dinner reservations were made at 10 p.m. as they said there was nothing else available at any of the restaurants any day we were there. One night the train dropped us off on the complete other side of the resort and told us our restaurant was there. It was not, it was back where we were originally. By the time we got to the restaurant they refused to seat us because the kitchen closed at 10 p.m. (it was 10:15). How does the kitchen close at 10 if our reservations were for 10??? We were forced to order a plate of nachos from room service but after an hour wait we got a mixed salad with no dressing. The staff made us feel as though we were intruding on their lives and that is a far cry from anything we've experienced in Punta Cana before. The electricity in the entire resort went out 3 separate times and the water was shut off for 5 hours in the middle of the day once. The beach was nice and the water was great but everything in the hotel's control could not have been worse. I wouldn't go back to this resort for free.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different resort
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
16 Thank JP102012
ltajes, Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear JP102012,

Politely we would like to apologize for the inconvenience, thanks to you and other customers suggestions we have improved this service.

One more time thank you very much,

Regards.
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to TRS Turquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!