“Not a horrible holiday but would not return” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ontario
“Not a horrible holiday but would not return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just a quick background: This was my fifth time to the Dominican Republic however my first to Punta Cana. I understand it is a third world country and do not start my vacations with any kind of expectation, I have had outstanding times at 3 stars and understand what I am getting when I travel to this gorgeous country,

The Royal Suites Turquesa was our honeymoon destination. As newlyweds we decided to treat ourselves to a five star hotel. I wish that was what we had gotten. For those looking to book here is a fair and straight forward review of this hotel.

CONS:

. The food made us sick all 7 days. I have experienced traveler's tummy before but never for a full 7 days and to that degree. It didn't seem to matter how plain and basic we went the result was the same.
. Our ceiling leaked water from the air conditioner and despite phoning the lobby it was never resolved. Our shoes and clothes were soaked as it began while we away from the room for several hours. Our jacuzzi tub was broken as well.
. There were bugs EVERYWHERE. In our closet, on our floors, in our showers. Beatles half the size of my hand.
. The staff were cold. Never acknowledging my thank you's or rarely providing an hola! The room service woman actually hung up on me. The only saving grace were the butlers who worked our building! They were great.
. The beds are like concrete! By the last day my husbands back was almost in spasm and he was in incredible pain. We had to line the mattress with blankets to make it liveable.

PROS:

. Despite making us sick the Mexican, steak house and Japanese restaurants are excellent!
. The swim up room was worth the extra $20 American a day.
. The beach was gorgeous and we weren't bothered much by excursion sales people.

All and all it was not a horrible experience but I would never return to this resort. It was not worth the thousands of dollars we spent to stay there. There are lots of wonderful resorts in Dominican Republic, I am afraid this is not one of them. My suggestion? The Riu Mambo in Puerto Plata. Great people, great food, great time!

Adios!

Room Tip: Swim up bar is worth the extra money! Ask for the new area's!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TravelinLassie
Rsegarra, General Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Royal Suites Turquesa for such as occasion. As Honeymooners. On behalf of the Management and the entire team we would also like to thank you for sharing your recent experince.
Your comments and feedback will only help us to improve our product and service.
We regret to hear that we haven't met your expectations completely our aim is always to provide the best service possible in order to make the trip an unforgettable experience.
We are glad that you could enjoy some of our facilities such as the Mexican Restaurant, Steak House and Japanese as well as our fantastic beach and the Swim up Room.

We really hope you will give us another oportunity to host you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Abilene, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I love to travel, resorts, cruises, all inclusive and pay as you go. We have stayed at many.. rated from 3 stars plus. This was the first time we have left a resort vacation feeling totally disappointed and ready to leave. From the time we arrived in the DR we were completely caught off guard.. the entire country seems unprepared for tourist. This was our first and last trip to the Dominican Republic and this was supposed to be a 5 star plus resort and all I can say is "Language Barrier" If you speak Spanish.. great but having been to many countries all over this is one of the first places I've ever felt a HUGE problem. This property is really nice but because they don't communicate enough information you probably won't get to take advantage of much there. Like all places there are many very pleasant people working there and we were sure to tip them.. there were more than their share of employees that were very rude to us as well even when asking for the simplest assistance the attitude we got was terrible, regardless we had a good time as always but you can't ignore something that's just so out of place in a resort environment. The food was VERY LACKING and I had a very hard time finding anything I would call even average. Now saying that I will say the Service in the Gourmet Restaurant dedicated to us was exceptional. The Mexican Restaurant food was EXCELLENT! Other than that.. it was a total disappointment to us. SEE WARNING ABOUT CASINO CHEATING! SUPER ROULETTE IS A TOTAL SCAM.. READ US TRAVEL ADVISORY AND TAKE THIS WARNING SERIOUS.

Room Tip: If you MUST go to the DR then this is one of the better resorts.. ROOMS: There are no bad rooms but...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Rmbln_Man
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Royal Suites Turquesa for your last vacation, we also would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review with the rest of the travellers.
By the same, we can assure you that we take each of your comments very seriously, and we are grateful for the constructive feedback, as it really helps us in improving on the service that we provide to our guests on a daily basis.
It is our aim to provide the best service at all times, creating memorable experiences that will last long after our guest’s stay at our resort.
We regret to hear that we haven't met your expectations completely anyhow we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed some of our restaurants such as the Mexican as well as the service provided at the Gourmet.

We will be delighted to host you again so you could see the improvements made at our promises.

Kind regards,
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We just return from a 9 days stay at the Royal Suites and would like to share our experience with you, as I always search for tips and comments from Tripadvisor before taking a trip.

Building: We stayed at a Swim-up room in Building #55. It is centrally located, nearest to the main Lobby and only short walk to several nearby restaurants. Trust me, after a few days of pampering; you won’t want to walk anywhere. The room is clean and AC works very well. If you planned to stay at Royal Suites, I highly recommended for a Swim-up room and it is well worth the cost.

Service: The service is very good and as what you should expect from a resort hotel. The only complaint from my wife is that, everyday, the maid layout flowers on our bed and my wife had to keep picking them up afterward. I thought it was funny and they were also quite beautiful. The minibar was reloaded everyday per our order given to our butler when we first check-in. Of course, tips were given to the maid and the barman each day. There are a lot of comments about tips in the forum, but here is my cut. If you are going to stay at a $300+ hotel room, a few dollars to the person clean up the toilet after your missed aim doesn’t seem too much to ask for. As for the ladies, just think about the toilet seat we oven forgot to lift up.

Food: There are 14 restaurants combined from all 4 hotels in the complex. Some better than others and I will rate them all as average except for the Royal Gourmet. The Royal Gourmet is only one that came close being a good restaurant. You can get grill lobster from several different restaurants and as a Royal Suites client the extra charge of $35 (each) will be waived. Which is a good thing; because we didn’t think it was worth the price.

Pool: Since we stayed at the Swim-up room, I only went to the main pool to get towels and it seems lively with plenty of lounge chairs available. In addition to drinks, you can order pizza and sandwiches at the pool side.

Beach: The resort’s beach is on the Atlantic side and the water is rough with lots sea weeds. We didn’t see any vendor on the beach; that is a security guard posted between the Resort property and the public beach section to keep the vendor out. Again, there are plenty of lounge chairs available and the waitress making her round every few minutes.

Travel Tips
1. Water shoes. We went on the Isle of Isona excursion. It was fun and we have a great party at the catamaran on the way there. But make sure you wear water shoes. The beach on the isle is full of shells and corals. It was very painful to just get off the boat and walk up to the beach.

2. Shopping. The hotel can arrange free ground transportation to various nearby shopping centers, i.e. San Juan, Real Palm, and Nicole (a two stores building). Just check with your butler or the signs at the main lobby. We even went out to the flea market located next to the resort for a few purchases. Since there were only a few (a few is defined as no more than 3) tourist in there, we kept aware of our surroundings but have a good sense of humor when talking to the shop keepers and have a great time roaming between the shops.

3. On Time. We were pleasantly surprised that all of our ground transports came on time. After riding on them a few times and going from hotel to hotel a pick up other customers, we learned that they keep a good schedule by not waiting. When the bus pulls up to the hotel lobby and if you are not there, it will be gone in less than 3 minutes. So, make sure you are at the appointed time and place otherwise you’ll miss your ride for sure.

4. Airport. Arrival at least 2 to 2 1/2 hours before your departure time. If you have extra time after gone through all checks, go hang out in Terminal 2 (connected to terminal 1). It is the newest terminal and have AC. Just bewared that your all inclusive ended at the hotel, a bottle of Bud Lite will set you back $7.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank hows_AL
westerville, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband, adult daughter, and I arrived at the Grand Palladium Bavaro on July 8, 2012. We had private transfers through VIP transfers, which I highly recommend. They were waiting for us and whisked us away immediately, driving safely and professionally. This is the second time we have used VIP and we will use them whenever we are in Punta Cana.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a tropical punch and a damp, cool cloth, which was a nice touch since it was a steamy day. Check in was immediate and friendly, however we did have a request to upgrade to the Royal Suites Turquesa in swim up suites, if available. Our original rooms were already ready, even though it was before the official check in time, but we were asked to go get something to eat and come back to see if they had 2 swim up suites available. When we got back, we were greeted by the room division manager, Wilkin Pache, and he surprised us by finding us two swim up suites in the same building. Many, many thanks to Wilkin as he made our trip even more special than we could have imagined!!

At that time, we were taken by porter to our swim up building in the Royal Suites area. These are absolutely breathtaking! There was much towel art, fresh flowers and the heavenly pool right outside your patio door. We spent most of our time lounging here, occasionally going to the adult pool and visiting all the other pools at each of the resorts.

The food, service and staff were all excellent. We had fantastic filets at the Steakhouse, and loved the Japanese steakhouse. One of the perks of the Royal suites is being able to make reservations and although the selection of times were limited, we still were able to visit the two we most wanted to visit. Unfortunately, the lines for the people who couldn't make reservations was very long so I am glad we had that privilege. We ate at the Royal Gourmet most of the evenings and in the Las Torres buffet for breakfast as the selection there was bigger. We had several lunches at the open air lunch buffet on the beach, and the pasta guy there was very entertaining.

We didn't go to any shows as we are early risers and enjoy sleeping. Unfortunately, my daughter was ill several days and our butler, Oscar, was very sweet and concerned. He went out of his way to get us extra blankets as she was running a fever and he asked about her daily when he didn't see her. Thank you so much, Oscar, and sorry we didn't get to say goodbye.

We purchased the aromatherapy for our rooms, which is well worth the small cost. We also asked for feather pillows from the pillow menu and ordered room service several times. Everything is clean here, and the employees are very friendly, helpful and hard working. The resort IS huge so do prepare to walk a lot if you don't want to wait for the train. This is a good thing, in my opinion, as it burns off all those calories.

There is as much to do as you want or as little as you want. The only thing that I wish was different (and no fault of the Palladium!) is that there is no reef so no snorkeling at all although the beach is unbelievably beautiful. I can honestly say that of all the places I have stayed, the Royal Suites Swim up suites are my all time favorite and we will be back.

Room Tip: Swim up suites are the only way to go!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank mbur80
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Nice place 18+ very quiet ,decent food ,Deluxe Suite swim up ,its a good value,private beach section service @ the beach and @ the pool. i will return .Little bit hot @ the restaurants. premium liquors included,room service 24hrs ,Royal pizza (seafood) is really good,4 bottles of Alcohol included,really quiet section .

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank moineauQc
Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at RST for our 15 year anniversary on July 20-27..

We booked through Vacation Express and our travel agent. We opted to go with the Elite seats for extra leg room and extra baggage weight. We will definitely do this again. Flew with Sunjet from Cincinnati and couldn't have had a better flight. My(April's) fear of heights usually make take off and landing the worst part of flights for me, but this was the best flight I've ever had. Landing was very smooth even though we landed after a pretty heavy rain. We quickly made it through customs and the airport with the help of a porter. Tipped him very well because he helped us to the front of the line and out to our transportation. We stayed with the transportation that Vacation Express provides as this was our first trip to Punta Cana. Didn't take long to get to the resort.

Checked in and as our butler was telling us a few things in the lobby, the front desk clerk (sorry, I don't remember her name) realized that they had checked us into the wrong room. We had booked a swim up suite and they hadn't placed us there. They quickly fixed this and got us another butler to show us to our room. Maximo showed us to our room and told us all the things we would need to know for the week we would be there.

Ordered room service as it was late, the room service staff didn't seem to speak much English when I called. We ordered nachos and the Royal Pizza that night. Took a little more than an hour for it to get there, I'm assuming this was because so many people had checked into the resort at the same time and they were hungry. We ordered the nachos and the Royal Pizza. Royal Pizza has a white sauce and shrimp. It was good, though the crust was a little soggy as it is covered with plastic wrap to be delivered to your room.

Rose around 7:30 the next morning and went the the Royal Buffet for breakfast as we had a meeting with our Vacation Express rep to go over the excursions they offer. Met some other people that came in on the plane with us. Didn't book anything at that moment, but decided to go with the Country Safari later in the week. I rep forgot to tell us when the pickup would be for our return flight and he also didn't tell the people we met (we told them). This is nothing to do with Palladium or the RST, but I thought I would mention this so that everyone remembers to ask if they aren't told.

We went to the Royal Buffet most mornings for breakfast, but did try Las Torres one morning. Las Torres had more variety, but too much activity for us. We were hear to relax and no offense to anyone, but didn't want to deal with kids on this vacation (we don't have any and 7 o'clock in the morning doesn't put either of us in the best frame of mind). Ate off the buffet most mornings, but Mark did order a ham and cheese omelet off the menu one morning and it was HUGE. Food was great!

We walked around RST the first morning just to get our bearings. This is a beautiful resort. It was off season and you could see that a lot of work is done at this time to keep everything looking beautiful. There was some painting of the sidewalks while we were there and the smell could be a little overwhelming, but we had decided before our trip that we were going to go with the flow.

We stayed in room 5710 and had several butlers while we were there. The ones I remember most were Maximo and Oscar. These 2 had the best English of anyone with which we spoke. We even commented that Oscar spoke better English than we do. Andy was also very helpful. He helped us set up our reservations for the nights that we wanted to try out some of the a la carte restaurants.

We were able to try Sumptuori, the Brazilian restaurant, the steak house, and Le Chantrelle while we were there. We also ate at Las Torres one night. The only disappointing food we had was at the steak house. We both got the New York strip and it was tough and fatty at the same time. Mark's dessert tasted as if it was freezer burnt. All the other food was AMAZING. We had the best seafood risotto at Las Torres and our dinner at Le Chantrelle for our anniversary was unforgettable. Remember crepe suzette is a show in itself.

We didn't really spend much time at the beach as the surf seemed quite rough. Hey, it's hurricane season, the resort has no control over this. Also, we had a pool just outside our room. Why travel further? Our pool waitress was amazing and I'm sorry I don't remember her name. I'm pretty sure it starts with an M and she has 6 kids.

Had a "Domincan" coffee at the RST bar one night. Half espresso style coffee, half Ron Barcelo Rum creme. I slept like a baby that night.

Andy had noted that our anniversary was on Thursday and arranged for a bottle of Cava to be in our room. We weren't impressed with the flavor, but we have plebeian tastes and that could just be us.

All in all, we had a very relaxing trip and will be going back. There was a little language difficulties at times, but my remedial Spanish helped a lot and we are looking into some language software for our next trip.

Thank you, Palladium. We had an amazing time and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Loved the swim up rooms. They were worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank April S
liberty township ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is by far, THE BEST resort we have ever been to. The service was outstanding and the staff was very friendly. The food was good not great but good. The swim up room and butler service was amazing. I Have to say no complaints on anything. The room was gorgeous and we received high class personal service. I would suggest bringing your own cups to keep your drinks cold and your own raft for the pool. I read many of the reviews before going and none of them were true!!! We always had a pool towel when needed, we NEVER waited for drinks but of course we did tip and were taken care of all week and in NO WAY were any staff rude or not friendly. The entire experience was great and we are already looking at booking another trip. A few suggestions would be guys don't forget to bring your pants, as mentioned above bring your own cup and raft!!! Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a swim up room in the new section
6 Thank eric s