“Beautiful Resort”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
BALMERTOWN
“Beautiful Resort”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We (3 females, late 50's) were here from March 1st to 15th, arrived at about 3pm, so had a wonderful view of eveything as we entered the resort. Check-in went quickly as we were the only arrivals at that time, and we were able to see the beach before dark and spent some time at the main pool bar. Our original room in the old section was not condusive to a comfortable stay, so our Transat rep arranged for us to move to 5526, which suited us better as we had a bit more privacy for showering and dressing. Most rooms are geared for 2 people. I actually did not like the setup of the first room at all.

We ate most of our meals at the Gourmet and Le Chanterelle, loved their outside patio, great selections, very good service, good buffet, and the staff has a decent understanding of English. Loved the Lobster Thermidor, Quoquilles St. Jacques and the Chateaubriand, delicious!! We did the a la carte at the Japanese, it was ok, the Brazilian was good, not that impressed with the Spanish, Mare Nostrum (Mediterranean) was good, Italian was good but a bit slow, maybe new trainees, the Steak house was good, a bit of confusion there (not a great understanding of English), but we did get what we ordered eventually. We enjoyed the Chinese, didn't get a chance to go there a second time. We ate lunch once at El Arrecife, I enjoyed their variety, their pizza was good, I wasn't sure if the chicken was fully cooked, or if that was just the colour of the meat, so to be safe, I didn't eat it. It was noisy there in the main area, the other sections were quieter.

We only saw 2 night shows, Michael Jackson, and some Dominican Dance review, both were good, but we found the accoustics poor and the sound annoying, so never went back for any other shows. The piano player at Hemmingway's was pleasant to listen to, nice atmosphere for a quiet time. It seemed that we were missing lobby bar entertainment because of the time we chose to book our suppers, when we would head over for after supper music, that would be their break time, and they took 1/2 hour or more break. We were up and about by 7am, so did not stay up late any night. Did not go to the casino.

The spa has a running river pool in it which not many are aware of, we would go up there at around 4:30 and relax there till we had to get ready for supper, that was nice.

I have to admit that for the first 4 days I wasn't too sure about our choice of the Turquesa, but as we got to know the complex better and were able to find our way around more easily, I quite liked it, the 2 butlers we had were super, and could speak English quite well.

The first week we did feel like we were a minority staying there, as we virtually heard no English spoken, but the second week we noticed more English spoken, and were able to chat with other guests.

Their internet service was poor, only 3 computers in the lobby available and 1 or 2 were not always working, and the service was not available in the rooms for laptops as the signal was not strong enough. Laptops worked well in the lobby.

The beach was great for walking a long distance, but the section in front of the Turquesa is a bit narrower, so seems more crowded with the loungers there. Then you have the people hogging beach beds, loungers in the shade and loungers in the sun!! You don't get towel cards, so that opens up potential for abuse of towel use and hogging spaces. I wasn't impressed! Many times I observed 2 people with 6 towels. There was one group of 8 that had 12 loungers and I'll guess at 16 to 20 towels a day.

All in all, I did appreciate the stay, we went for a helicopter ride, parasailing, and took a tour with Punta Cana Mike (that was super, you'll find him on the internet), but would I go there again? Probably not, having been to a few warm countries now, I like Mexico the best, the area between Cancun and Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank ELISABETH S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband and I traveled to the Royal Suites Turquesa for a family wedding. We had approximately 14 people in our party. Upon arriving at the Royal Suites Turquesa I was pleasantly surprised at my surroundings. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, everyone was very friendly and had a smile on their face. We were greeted with a glass of champagne upon checking in and immediately introduced to our butler David. He was very informative and told us everything we would need to know during our stay. We had a swim-up room and the waitstaff for that area was very attentive. The pool area was well maintained and kept very clean throughout our entire stay. I would give the food 2 maybe 3 stars. It was not phenomenal, but we definitely did not go hungry. Room service was adequate, although they didn't bring us the correct order until the very last morning. But when you are sitting in paradise it's pretty hard to complain about anything!

The wedding was absolutely beautiful and held in a gazebo at the beach. The staff was very attentive to our every need throughout the entire wedding process. And for not having more than a day of planning for the event, everything went wonderfully.

The one major downfall I would say was the checkout process. It was quite a production. They had to physically inspect our room prior to allowing us to leave. They didn't find anything wrong, but the process itself did not seem very organized.

All in all, I would say that our time spent at the Royal Suites Turquesa was very enjoyable and worth the money. I would definitely travel there again.

Room Tip: We upgraded from a normal suite to a swim-up suite. Very well worth it!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda S
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2012

having arrived and been upgraded to the Royal suites.... well were to start... the room was wonderful and imaculate good level of furnishing and clean
the two resturants for the royal suites are amazing lovely selection and very high quality.
As a Royal suite guest you can use all the complex resturants.. we tired most of them and cant speak highly enough of any of them.. in two weeks every meal was a joy....
the pool is clean and staff at the pool bar very pleasant.
all in all.... we cant recommend this hotel highly enough....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brecon999
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This review is to inform everyone that I have been to the RST twice already and that this year I tried a different place and let me tell you that RST is definetely very very hard to beat!

The following areas for me were not met at the other resort in PC where I was:

1. the welcome gift (there were absolutely none);
2. the room that was given to us was a non smoking room without verifying with us prior to giving to us, my spouse smokes, so you can see that we had to move once we noticed that our room was a non-smoking room (let me tell that I agree that there should be non-smoking rooms for the non-smokers but if you put a smoker in one of those rooms, you might have a surprise smoke smell in the room once the smoker leaves, even if the smoker goes outside to smoke);
3. there were no special wine or champane served at the adjoining resort the the Royal guests like there is at the RST;
4. we love dominican music very much and at the other resort they almost never played any dominican music, only at one of the pool bar (for me when I go to a country I appreciate listening to their music not american music, if I wish to listen to amercan music I will go to the States or stay home;
5. the wormth of the staff at the RST is very hard to beat (the only thing I can give to the other resort is that the number of employees is bigger that at the RST therefore the service is a bit faster);
6. the food at the other resort is aproximately the same as at the RST, but less choices in restaurants;
7. the rooms were not as lovely as at the RST and the bath in the room is not a jacuzzi.

So for me, my next trip to Dominican Republic will surely be at the RST.

Room Tip: The new section has gorgeous rooms!
6 Thank Gentille1
niagara
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Wow! What a place. We upgraded to the lagoon with gondlas and an outdoor showers and just loved it. We also had a private pool with a wonderful waiter who was always happy to serve you. From the beds on the beach to the Spa, this place is a winner. I would love to go back. It is very clean, good food, modern lobby in the Royal Suites area and also lots to see and do. The becah is also very beautiful and great to walk on since the sand is packed and hard. Lovely, lovely place. I am still dreaming about it. We also had our own butler who could not do enough for us. Had a great time.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Suites and feel like royalty.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 5685
Medina, Ohio, USA
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Resort and rooms were beautiful. However, the food, maid service and mini bar service were horrible. Upon arriving, we were told to fill out a form requesting what type of pillow we wanted, what time in AM and PM that maid service was requested and what we wanted our mini bar stocked with. We were not given the requested pillows which, in itself, is not a big deal but don't ask what kind of pillows you want! Mini bar was restocked only 4 of the 7 days we were there. And, we were without towels two days and maid did not arrive anywhere near the time requested any day. In fact, we went without maid service twice. My husband and I both got sick after each meal except one night when we ventured out to the Hard Rock and finally had a good meal.

5 Thank Judy R
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We were at this resort from Feb 24, 2012 until March 2, 2012. This was a great resort and we will definitely be coming back.

I have a very detailed review for this resort at http://www.gistv.ca/palladium. It was too big to fit into the Trip Advisor panel so if you are interested please go to the link.

Room Tip: Read my detailed review at: http://www.gistv.ca/palladium
5 Thank davidnicholsonshawca
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to TRS Turquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!