“RST compared to other 5 starts - GREAT in my opinion”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Canada
“RST compared to other 5 starts - GREAT in my opinion”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This review is to inform everyone that I have been to the RST twice already and that this year I tried a different place and let me tell you that RST is definetely very very hard to beat!

The following areas for me were not met at the other resort in PC where I was:

1. the welcome gift (there were absolutely none);
2. the room that was given to us was a non smoking room without verifying with us prior to giving to us, my spouse smokes, so you can see that we had to move once we noticed that our room was a non-smoking room (let me tell that I agree that there should be non-smoking rooms for the non-smokers but if you put a smoker in one of those rooms, you might have a surprise smoke smell in the room once the smoker leaves, even if the smoker goes outside to smoke);
3. there were no special wine or champane served at the adjoining resort the the Royal guests like there is at the RST;
4. we love dominican music very much and at the other resort they almost never played any dominican music, only at one of the pool bar (for me when I go to a country I appreciate listening to their music not american music, if I wish to listen to amercan music I will go to the States or stay home;
5. the wormth of the staff at the RST is very hard to beat (the only thing I can give to the other resort is that the number of employees is bigger that at the RST therefore the service is a bit faster);
6. the food at the other resort is aproximately the same as at the RST, but less choices in restaurants;
7. the rooms were not as lovely as at the RST and the bath in the room is not a jacuzzi.

So for me, my next trip to Dominican Republic will surely be at the RST.

Room Tip: The new section has gorgeous rooms!
6 Thank Gentille1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
niagara
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Wow! What a place. We upgraded to the lagoon with gondlas and an outdoor showers and just loved it. We also had a private pool with a wonderful waiter who was always happy to serve you. From the beds on the beach to the Spa, this place is a winner. I would love to go back. It is very clean, good food, modern lobby in the Royal Suites area and also lots to see and do. The becah is also very beautiful and great to walk on since the sand is packed and hard. Lovely, lovely place. I am still dreaming about it. We also had our own butler who could not do enough for us. Had a great time.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Suites and feel like royalty.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 5685
Medina, Ohio, USA
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Resort and rooms were beautiful. However, the food, maid service and mini bar service were horrible. Upon arriving, we were told to fill out a form requesting what type of pillow we wanted, what time in AM and PM that maid service was requested and what we wanted our mini bar stocked with. We were not given the requested pillows which, in itself, is not a big deal but don't ask what kind of pillows you want! Mini bar was restocked only 4 of the 7 days we were there. And, we were without towels two days and maid did not arrive anywhere near the time requested any day. In fact, we went without maid service twice. My husband and I both got sick after each meal except one night when we ventured out to the Hard Rock and finally had a good meal.

5 Thank Judy R
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We were at this resort from Feb 24, 2012 until March 2, 2012. This was a great resort and we will definitely be coming back.

I have a very detailed review for this resort at http://www.gistv.ca/palladium. It was too big to fit into the Trip Advisor panel so if you are interested please go to the link.

Room Tip: Read my detailed review at: http://www.gistv.ca/palladium
5 Thank davidnicholsonshawca
Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My wife and I went to RST at the end of feb

Check in. We also had problems with checking in as some of the other reviews did.Booked through westjet and payed for the old section close to the beach, but were put in the new section(55) 2nd floor with no view other than the next building. Room was nice and big but not what we wanted. Next morning went to the lobby wait in line and sort it out with 3 couples in the same boat we were in. By 2pm we were in building 50 and on our way. The problem is we paid for a 7 day vacation and lost 24 hrs sorting out the room. NOT COOL

Food. average buffets
average to good a la cartes

Service. This in our opinion was the best we have ever had. We have even stayed at a sandals and it wasn't as good as here. The wait staff is just awesome around the pool and beach. You dont have to move to get a drink if you dont want to. They are right on top of it.

Beach. This is our first time to PC and we are beach bums, but did not spend one
minute on the beach. This beach and area is way way to busy for us. Its just wall to wall people for as long as the eye could see. We spent the week at the main pool and just took in the R & R.

Overall. We liked the resort and the hard working staff. But this will be the only time we travel to PC. We like things a little less busier.

PS. The airport at Punta cana is a nightmare.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachloversCanada
Ontario
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Background

My husband and I travel South to all inclusives about 3 times a year. In the past 4 or 5 years we have limited the resorts to Adults only unless we travelled for a family affair. With few exceptions, we try to stay at 4.5 or 5 star resorts in Mexico or DR and never return to the same resort. I usually write a review following my stay and so you know, I rate the resorts primarily based on what you get for the price paid. For example, my expectations would be very high if I paid top dollar like what is paid for the Iberostar Grand, Sanctuary Cap, Zoetry, considering they list all of these at 5 star. My expectations for Royal Suites which is 60% the price and also listed as a 5 star are high, but not as high, so I'll be more easily satisfied.

In General

We very much enjoyed our stay. The good was much greater than the bad or better said, the annoying. Please consider also when reading this review, that I truly loved RST generally and came close to giving it a 5. The feeling at this resort is great.

I always like to be wowed on first contact with the lobby. I wasn't. The lobby is new but lacks any luster. We were given a welcome drink. The check-in was inefficient and tedious. It took about 12-15 minutes and we were the only guests checking in. We were then escorted to our room by our concierge and at that point I was wowed by the impressive grounds. We booked a deluxe superior room, which is the lowest category and is located in the newer section. It was on the 3rd floor. The room was large, beautiful, marble, four poster bed, large double vanity and more bling, bling overall than the older side but the newer outside has the atmosphere of barracks in my opinion. From the 2nd or 3rd floor cement walled balcony railing, there was no view. The resort is spotless. The food and drinks are better than average, consistently. We didn't see any theatre productions. The golf cart drivers were awesome.

I would say the majority of guests are upscale and with the exception of honeymooners, aged late 40s to 60s. The make-up is I'm guessing at 60% Canadian and of those, 50% French Canadian. Many guests from the US, Russia and Germany. This was probably one of the most social resorts we have had the pleasure of visiting. We met different interesting couples every day for 10 days and had dinner often with them. The main pool just lends itself to meeting like-minded people.

In regards to entertainment, the Royal Suites Turquesa guests must go to the other Palladium resorts for any entertainment. The RST lobby is basic, no music and the lobby bar (or the lobby counter, not bar) reminded me of a deli. No mirrors, no bling at all. I believe they could increase the availability of amenities to RST guests.

Food and Beverage

The Gourmet and French restaurants are better than at most all inclusives and well prepared and presented. I especially liked to have dinner on their patio - very intimate, romantic atmosphere. We also ate at the Brazilian and the Spanish restaurants and they were very good. For lunch and breakfast, the Gourmet Restaurant was very good but we preferred lunch either at the Bavaro beach hut or the Bavaro buffet which were outstanding. The Royal Suites main pool served a continental breakfast from 10 to11, the servers went around with fruit kabobs and pizza (the pizza was actually more like focaccia) at lunch time and you could find sandwiches in the fridge early in the day. The lobby had a sandwich buffet, finger foods and desserts until 3:30. We had room service breakfast twice - cold and dried out. Room service late night was good. From 3:30 until dinner time (6:30 ?) no food was available at the Royal Suites side unless you could find a leftover sandwich or focaccia in the pool side fridges.

The drinks were consistently good and prepared with popular brand name liquors if that's what you ordered. We didn't have any fruity drinks though. There was no shortage. The house wine was hit and miss. Pool and beach side drinking cups are small, disposable plastic glasses, as opposed to the large acrylic hurricane glasses used at other resorts of this caliber.

Pool and Beach

The main pool was on the cool side and clean. We didn't try the lazy river pools on the newer side. We never hung out there. The main pool chairs were limited but lots of chairs/beds, even in the shade by the lazy river and on the beach. The beach was awesome of course. It's Punta Cana. No beach erosion for the mile stretch in front of the Palladium but it's not that wide. The only erosion, but bad erosion, we saw was south of the Palladium for about a mile stretch and we walked the beach for about 4 or 5 miles both north and south of the Palladium. A variety of good music most of the day by the main pool. No entertainers, no pool or other exercise, no games.

For the most part, service was very impressive. All but a few were very eager to help with anything, friendly, not attached to whether or not you tipped. In fact, the service was so good almost everywhere you wanted to tip, and tip often. I will now coin the term "eye contact avoidance" or "eca" for short. ECA was practiced at the pool bar and often at the lobby bar. Let's face it, I don't think too many guests expect the bartenders to jump every time someone appears at the bar, but come on... what is wrong with acknowledging, smiling and saying "I'll be with you in a minute" instead of annoyingly avoiding eye contact with the customer. In fact, at the lobby bar, too often the staff was chatting among themselves and ignoring the customers. On the other hand, the pool and beach servers were offering to bring new drinks before your old drink was finished - consistently.

All in all, a beautiful, well managed resort. Staff from golf cart drivers, maids, servers, ground keepers was 5 star.

No problem to contact me if you need more information.

9 Thank MCobsessed
Smooth Rock Falls, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We had read the reviews before leaving for our trip and it frightened us. After a two week stay at the Royal Suites, the negative comments found on this site were inaccurate. We had a wonderful time! The food, the service, the rooms were all fit for kings and queens. We talked to many return customers who had traveled to various locations around the world and had concluded that the services offered here, at the Royal Suites, were nothing less than excellent. Some have been coming back to this location for the last 5 to 10 years. (That speaks for itself!!!) All the employees take their jobs seriously and are constantly inquiring about client satisfaction.
We were extremely pleased with everything and will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Rooms in the newest section are nicer but are further from the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to TRS Turquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!