“Amazing vacation”

Ranked #40 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Amazing vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Hola:) we stayed for a week in feb 2012 with another couple from alberta canada! this is my review!

Location: the hotel is about 20-30 minutes from the airport, roads were good, driving is typical for Dominican! No rules and I swear pare means speed up not stop! Lol! Shuttle for air transat was on time and effective!

Hotel: the entire complex is very large, you do a lot of walking or can ride on one of the many trains or golf carts. There's food,bars and pools everywhere! The lobby's are very good except it would have been nice when we arrived if there would've been a place to hold our luggage while we waited for our room to be ready rather then having to leave it in the middle of the lobby unattended for hours! There was a nice change room to change at though! The staff was so helpful and spite the many bad reviews I read on customer service , we found them wonderful and fairly bilingual ! Never had problems from our staff or our butler when it came to getting help! Body language goes along ways when there's a language barrier! I recommend learning a few basic Spanish phrases outta common courtesy if nothing else! They respect that you try to learn there language like they try to learn yours! This is a diverse resort! From Canadians to French, British, German, Russian and Asian ! We loved meeting all the ethnicitys!

Beach:
The beach is white sand with turquoise sea! It's clean and there's beds and chairs everywhere! Several chairs were broken but still not really a problem! The beach is clean, well kept and there's waiters to serve you! There are local vendors just off the beach past a red rope! Be prepared that when crossing the rope you are going to be pestered by the local vendors, cheap cheap! There's good things at these shops and it was easy to barder! Go to the ladies at local vendors if you want your hair braided or nails or massage! My long hair braided took half hour and cost me 50$ , the spa at the resort told me 2 hours minimum and wanted 180$!

It is a must that you talk to Juan Carlos at crazy gator! Incredibly nice guy and always honest! Every tour we booked with him was cheaper then anyone else paid! He brought us beer and introduced us to his family(Canadian wife) ! He made our trip what it was and we will miss him! We left him a large tip at the
end of trip!
And be prepared ladies it's totally acceptable on the royal suites beach to go topless! At first it was a little weird but by the end of it they all started to look the same, and if I woulda stayed a week longer I probably woulda joined them! Looked rather freeing! Lol

Room:
Room # 5519
Great location and close to everything! Romance room, and huge, beautiful and cleaned impeccably ! Fancy lights everywhere that took awhile to learn which was which! Huge bed, 2tvs, jacuzzi, nice balcony, always stocked mini fridge and a shower that pretty much does everything but takes 20 minutes to figure out how! Room was fantastic! Room service was great, convieniant and never took longer than 25 min! The room comes with a four free bottles of alcohol, but when you leave all four bottles must be there(full or empty ) or you get charged!

Resteraunts:
We ate at the gourmet, the le chanterelle, the Mexican , the Japanese and the buffet!
The gourmet was overall and consistently the best and is the royal suites main resteraunt! The Mexican was ok, just ok! The Japanese was an incredible show with knives, tons of food and amazing soup and sushi! The le chanterelle was ok too! And the buffet was huge with tons of options! Best foods...bread,cheeses(all dairy really) , fruit and raviolli! Worst foods....surprisingly seafood! The coffee is fresh and served with steamed milk...make sure to buy a bag to bring home! Wine is served at every meal! Food was overall great but after a week was all starting to taste the same! They use a lot of capers! Very little nuts( good for allergys) and the desserts all lack sugar but look beautiful ! You won't starve! And we never got sick! Water and ice are all bottled!

Shows and disco:
There are two theaters both play great shows and offer great service ! They play from 10-11pm! We watched a Michael Jackson show that was incredible and left me wondering if the star was the real deal! We also watched the circus and magic shows! Really good! The disco opens at 11pm and is the place to be if your young, like to drink and dance!

Things we mostly only saw , but didn't experience:
There is a sports center with archery,tennis, mini golf, volleyball and basketball! You can also rent pedal bikes for the day! There's a sports bar with tvs, patio, food and pool tables! The spa is beautiful but pricy! Many other pools(which never have anyone in them cause there cold but you get used to it)resteraunts and bars! A week just wasn't long enough to see and do everything!

Casino:
Small but elegant looking ! But be warned!!! You enter the door, they hand you "free" money, shove you to the only table you can use this free money, practically force you to play this game that's kind hard to get out of...and long story short your gonna lose too much money! Best to avoid this whole building even if your a skilled gambler! They got the better of many people we talked too! Only major downside of the trip!

Shopping:
There's a small street with shops, one super pricy jewellerry shop! A general store that is well priced and has clothing, souvenirs, cigarettes, liquor, and all medical and hygienic products needed! Another linen clothing store that was affordable! A photo studio and a 24hr doctor! Also as mentioned earlier there's shops on the beach that offer more authentic pieces true to Dominican and if your a good barderer you can get a better deal then at the resort shops that you don't barder at!

The 3 tours we took:
Parasailing:
80$ for 2 people! Lasted maybe 15min but was so worth it!
Snorkeling:
55$ per person! Half day trip! So incredible! Swam with hundreds of fish, saw turtles! Drank delicious rum! Ate fruit in the water! And met amazing people while dancing to bob marley and other American current singles ( nice to hear after the much overplayed Dominican music in the resort)
Extreme buggy:
220$ for 4 people! Half day trip! 30 min open bus ride! My favorite tour! Drive the Buggys to an amazing beach, saw a chocolate,coffee and cigar making shop! Visited local vendors and swam in a natural water cave! The local kids are adorable and work hard for a dollar! Cleaned my sunglasses, dusted my shoes and brought me flowers! So sweet but I'd recommend bringing them toys,books,pencils or hygiene products instead of dollars! Be prepared to get muddy...really muddy! And don't go If you can't drive! You don't wear a helmet and we watched a young lady flip her buggy cause she couldn't figure out how to avoid a tree! Really just drive with caution and your good! Ton of fun! Sadly though the photographer that took great pics and made a wonderful slide show and worked so hard...sold us a copy for 40$ US only to find a blank disc when we got home! I truly believe he wasn't trying to rob us blind but just didn't know how to use the technology properly!

Overall:
Highly recommend the royal suites Turquesa, and think its Important to stay at this side(adults only) of the complex versus the family sides as it seemed you truly got the VIP treatment here! The locals of the Dominican are very friendly and care free people! They run on Dominican time( never in a hurry ) and are always happy! We felt very pampered and luxiiurious and any complaint we had was small and didn't ruin our trip! The weather was great, the complex was clean( never saw a lot of bugs) rooms were great! Beach is gorgeous, gardens impeccible! It's a quiet hotel, not a huge party place! More romantic than anything!
Service was very good! It's a beautiful resort and I've been to a few! Those who complain about everything will always find something to pick apart! We were on holidays though and take things with a grain of salt! We went to relax, be adventurous and meet great people! We accomplished all that and more! Only regret was booking for only a week and not 2! Definitely a 5 star in my opinion:)

Thanks for reading:)

Resteraunts:

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank NJC35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

This was my fourth trip to Punta Cana and my husbands first. Check-in was smooth and easy. We were promptly shown to our room, a Romance Suite, in building 58. The room was gorgeous. A huge bathroom with a shower/steam room (very hi-tech!!), beautiful sitting area, beautiful (and comfortable) king sized bed and a huge jucuzzi tub. Maid did a wonderful job and leaving a tip in the minibar will keep it stocked to the max. It was also a nice touch having four large bottles of assorted liquor for use in the room. No complaints. Butler service was great and ever so helpful.

The resort complex is massive, the largest I've been too anywhere so I would recommend meeting with your tour guide to get aquainted with the ammenities. The nice thing with the RST is, in addition to being able to catch the train to travel through the complex, you are able to call for a "taxi" to take you right to the destination. We always asked for Nejo, who was so friendly and kind. I can't say enough about him. He even drove to get us bottled water one night after dropping us back off at the room so we didn't have to go out. His service was very much appreciated.

Restaurants are great. I don't know what people are complaining about here? Best food I have had in an AI. I would even compare it to food back home. Le Chantrelle/Gourmet Buffet is the best as previously mentioned. Drinks are wonderful and for the picky drinkers there is even a selection of premium liquors. Karini (I hope I spelt that right), one of the bartenders, was wonderful and was always so happy to stop and chat with us.

The grounds are gorgeous and the beaches are amazing (as in almost everywhere in PC) The resort is located next to some Dominican shops so there is a bit of peddling from the locals but a polite "no" and you will be left alone. It was never a problem and actually quite convienent for souvenier shopping. We booked our excursions through a Dominican man named Juan Carlo (he owns beach shop #4) that we met through a friend (a fellow Canadian who's lived in the DR for 10 years). He gave us fantasic deals on the exact same excusions the hotel was booking at about 2/3 of the price. He also took us into El Cortecito (the small town off resort that you can access from the beach), bought us lunch and haggled us a good deal on some rum. I highly recommend him.

Now my only issue with this resort is that there were A LOT of rude European tourists. I had read on previous reviews that this was an issue but thought that they must of been over reacting, not so. The resort can't be held at fault but I do believe it is worth mentioning. I couldn't believe the physical shoving, horrible table manners and just blatent rudeness that many of these tourists exhibited. Many of the staff knew we were Canadian right away because we "said please and thank-you."

Overall this is truly a five star resort with five star service. I was very, very satisfied!

9 Thank k_s_krause
Rsegarra, General Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Many Thanks to take the time to write this review.

We are very happy to receiv our guests feed back, this is an amazing pleasure.........
nanaimo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

just got back yesterday, had a great time 3rd time there some nice changes have been made. the new steak house was great as so was the Italian, the whole resort was immaculate as usual .some things have got worse last time we were there our butler was very hard to find this time he was usually at his desk but was just as useless as the invisible one, asked him for multiple things that never got done like a power cord for the radio in the room (4x) reservations were hard to get so we went there and waited, lobby bar staff were not attentive unless paying them. never received a drink upon arrival or cloth like before had to stand there and wait while she yacked on the phone overall that end of the resort was only good for the pools in the new section we spent all of our other time at the Bavaro where they rocked very friendly and kind Isador was great if it wasn't for the pools we would probably book in the Bavaro

3 Thank harleybuda
Thank you very much for this review.

We will take your comments very seriously in order to improve......thanks also for your help and thanks..... because, despite this, you did not changed your opinion about our product........

We hope to see you soon...
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

We have traveled to Dominican 3 times in the past and I have to admit this was my favorite! It helps alot to have a swim up suite!

If you can splurge on one upgrade when u are here, choose a swim up suite, its well worth the extra cost.

The goods!
I am a huge fan of Palladium, they are very consistant in thier food and accomodation quality, its always top notch for an "all inclusive". That being said, the RST had exceptional quality of food in the Royal Gormet and La Chantrelle restaurants, we ate here almost half the time.
The Japanese (table side) is a must for anyone staying here, the show is great and the food is hot, fresh and tasty. Most other restaurants and bars were of good quality and presentation.

This resort complex is huge! its a good thing that as a guest in the RST you have golf carts at your beacon call and a train that keeps circling the complex until 2am. It was great that you could find so many places to go and new places to have a drink or whatever with such a big place. We were there for 2 weeks and I don't think we saw half of the place.

The not so goods!
I would have to say that if I could find any faults with RST and why I only gave it 4 stars is because of the service. It really was hit and miss! Some staff were absolutely fantastic and others were really average. If the mgmt could do anything to improve this resort, it would be to elevate the service level to a TRUE five star experience. One where the staff are happy to see you, want to provide the best in service and add the little things to your stay that make it most memorable. I wouldn't at all say the service is bad, it just needs a little refinement.

One other suggestion is that the management go back to a towel card system limiting 2 towels to each guest. The only reason i suggest this is that the towel game was being played here big time. Guests would reserve a palapa on the beach with two towels and one by the main pool as well. On one day, a couple had their towels on a palapa for 6 hrs before they finally showed up to use it, as we are morning beach goers, we could have used that shade all morning and gave it up in the afternoon when we had had enough. So be prepared to play the towel game here at 6am if you want the best beach/pool spots. Its too bad this goes on in a 5 star property.

The RST is a great resort to choose for Punta Cana, the beach is amazing, the food fantastic and the accomodation top notch. I would recommend this resort to my closest friends and family. Go, have fun and enjoy!

Room Tip: Get a swim up
5 Thank genmgr
Many thanks for this review.

We will take note about this interesting suggestions..............We are very happy about this positive experience.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stayed here for a week with my parnter in November.

The only thing i can complain about is not staying for 2 weeks!

It was fantastic, service, food everything.

Beach the best ive seen, if your thinking ok booking then you must do so!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tonial14
Thank you !!!!

I hope that next time you will take this second week!!!!

This review, for a particular reasons make me really happy today........many..many thanks......
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

We had booked the loft suite but got an upgrade to a honeymoon suite in the private section. The staff is amazing and always willing to help. The food is to die for and the resort is spectacular. Planning to go back between April and June. Do not believe negative reviews. We've been to many different resorts and this is by far the best one.

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank Sumchick
Thanks for your comments..........!!!

We will be very happy to see you again between us...............
Sault Ste.marie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

we had the deluxe junior suite in the new section of the resort...beautiful rooms, but on the third floor, so we upgraded to the swim-up the next day.. it cost us eight dollars a day per person, wich was very, very reasonable, the swim-up was awesome, we loved it. Beautiful and very large resort...food was excellent, grounds were beautiful, people very friendly, very, very clean resort...room service available all the time,,this was a great resort,

Room Tip: stay in the new section. we had royal deluxe junior suites and upgraded to the swim-up .
5 Thank jodemi123