“Great Trip!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Matawan, New Jersey
“Great Trip!”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We arrived on July 1st on a direct flight from Newark on Continental. Flight was great, we left and arrived on time. We only take carry-on luggage so we were in and out of the airport in 10 min.

We jumped on our shuttle, and within 25 min. we arrived at the Royal Suites section of the HUGE Palladium complex. Check -in as fairly quick, we asked to be upgraded to swim up pool and for a very small fee we were given the room of our choice. Since we arrived around noon the room was not ready yet, so we were told to go have some lunch and come back in an hour or so.

When we arrived back to the lobby our butler was called and she escorted us to our rooms. She gave us all the details about reservations, restaurants, pools, beach, complex, bedding, tools etc. She was wonderful.

Our room was #5710 a first floor swim up room. Get one if you can it is worth the few extra dollars. The room was gorgeous and the open format to the pool even nicer. The room was warm and our butler quickly popped a few buttons for us and set it below the normal settings.(thank god she did that because we did hear numerous complaints about some rooms being really warm) The bed was awesome!! It was so comfortable I wanted to take it home with us. There is a pillow menu so you can order any kind of pillows you'd like. We did have some issues with maid service not cleaning our room in a timely fashion. We'd leave at 9 am, come back to room about 4-5 and it wasn't cleaned yet. I think 7 hours should be plenty of time to clean a room, we did leave the green clean room card on the door. 2-3 days we had to tell the butler to get someone to clean our rooms.

The lobby was the only other indoor space on the resort that was really air conditioned well. I had a hard time making it through dinner each night due to the really warm dining rooms. It is hard to eat with sweat dripping down your back and forehead. Now, I admit I like it very cold, but when everyone is sweating and commenting on how hot they are, it isn’t good!
I've read in a few reviews that the Gourmet and French are the best restaurants and I will definitely agree. If we return they will be the only two we visit. We also ate at the Brazilian which was ok, but the service was lacking. We tried the Spanish the service was great, but my fish was bad. My husband’s steak was great though. The seafood/Italian is being combined due to renovations and the service there was pretty good and the food was as well. Traveling to the Caribbean often we have not had such good experiences with beef, but that was definitely not the case at RST, the steaks were outstanding!
Nothing compared to the French! The service was excellent and so was the food! For loch we usually ate at the Grand’s beach/pool buffet. It was your typical AI food. Not great but not bad.

The towel game was definitely in play at the pool each day and at the beach as well. We would get to the pool by 9:30 each day and grab one of the last shaded areas. Of course there would only be about 10-15 people in the pool all day even though 40 chairs had towels on them, annoying but not the hotels fault. The pool was nice and the swim up bar was as well. There are some missing tiles around the bar which makes it look a bit trashy and they need to fix them. The beach had plenty of shade spots if you could find one. The ocean and beach were great. Some of the lounge beds had tape holding the material together (covers) this also was very unattractive and trashy looking. The hotel should not allow this to happen. Recover or replace them, this is supposed to be an exclusive resort! Tape on chairs says anything but.

The bartenders at the hotel were all wonderful! Actually all the staff were incredible! Everyone was friendly, polite, and helpful. The staff deserves an A+.
We were not impressed at all by the entertainment the show we went to prevented us from going another night. Some people said some of the other shows were better, but we didn’t give it another try.

Some other people have mentioned the sketchy happenings at the Casino (not hotel owned) and we did see it happening. Do not waste your money.

All and all we had a great time, the hotel is one of the nicer ones we have experienced, and the service was above par. We would definitely suggest others give it a try and hope to get back there someday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sugarmag13
Rsegarra, General Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
We appreciate this review. We will use all this comments in order to be better day by day. To know about our guests experiences is the best tool we can receive.Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We arrived at the resort approximately 4:30, on Wednesday, June 22nd. Being from Phoenix, we are used to heat, but, it's a dry heat (really, it is!) As expected, it was quite warm and very muggy, so the cool towels and cold drinks we received, within minutes of our arrival at the reception area, were a wonderful way to start our stay. Our room was ready (we reserved a deluxe junior suite), but, my fiancee asked to upgrade to a swim up. One was available, the upgrade was only $16 a night and well worth the money! Since we changed rooms, we had a slight delay (15 min) that we spent at the lobby bar, having another cold drink. Woo hoo! Vacation has started!

Our room steward, Melky, came to the lobby and escorted us to our suite. She explained some important things that we needed to know (place one of our keys in the slot by the door for the AC, an open patio door will turn off the ac, the mini fridge is refilled daily and can be customized, don't drink the water or use it to rinse your mouth, we had a choice of approximately 8 types of pillows, how to use the safe and that she would be very happy to help make our trip better in any way that she could.) She the left us to our own devices and told us what our dining choices were for the evening. Shortly thereafter, she brought us a fresh fruit basket (very yummy) and checked on us.

The room was a nice size, very comfortable and nicely decorated; even my super picky "other half" really liked it. The larger part of the room included a sitting area with a couch that opened into a sleeper, two chairs and a table, a king sized bed, 2 night stands, desk, table, and a jetted tub. On the other side of a 3/4's wall, was a shower stall, a water closet, a double sinks. The shower was a hand held and you had to aim it correctly, as to not flood the room (which occured the first shower). The water closet door was not all the way to the floor and was frosted glass.

We visited a variety of restaraunts for dinnner...French, Tex Mex, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese show cooking, Brazillian and Mediterranean. French was by far the best, with Brazillian and Japanese close behind. Tex Mex was our least favorite. The main entrees normally included a choice of beef, chicken, vegetarian, fish, lamb entrees.

All the restaraunts and buffets had a good selection of fruits, cheeses and salads. Two of the buffets are located near the beach. You could watch the waves and the cool ocean breeze was enjoyable.

We went to the disco, on Saturday night. It was very hot and loud, but we had a great time. The shops had reasonably priced jewelry (larimar, amber), rum and souveniers. We didn't see any of the show, because we were do beat by the end of the day...plus, that swim up pool called my name, constantly.

There was a safe in the room that held a small laptop, two camerans, an iPad and and iPod, plus our wallets. It was much bigger than we were led to believe. The wireless service worked well on the the beach, but was kind of sketchy in our room. There was wired internet also. The computers in the lobby were usually busy and had "odd" keyboards, but US standards, but, they do in a pinch and you can print to the reception desk.

We had water, soda, beer, peanuts, crackers and 4 bottles of liquor in the mini bar. We had some difficulty getting what we wanted in the mini bar, I think it was more a literacy issue, as we left notes in English and Spanish. Nonetheless, the bar was open long hours and the Bubba Cups held a lot.

Our deck, for the swim up pool, had afternoon sun; next time I will ask for one with morning sun. I had heard numerous bad comments about the pools, but, they were cleaned every morning. How someone can expect the staff to constantly clean the pools as flowers and leaves blow in ( the wind blew constantly), is beyond me. We spent hours (2-3 per day) in the swim up pool, floating around. There was a bar right there (it has sandwiches and salads available) and a waitress who came around about every 30 minutes or so. In the afternoon, she also offered fruit and pizza. We'd fill our Bubba cups and float, it was heavenly.

There was a train that ran about every 30 minutes, throughout the four properties. We took it a few times, but often used the golf cart service offered to Royal Suites customers. The routes were much more direct. :)

The beach was gorgeous. There were plenty of palapas, bali beds and beach chairs. It lookeds as if the "towel game" was being played at the other 3 resorts, but, not at the Royal Suites. It was nice and quiet, clean and relaxing. The beach was gorgous and the waves were realatively small. You might want to note that partial and full nudity was found on the beach and at the pools, in all sections of the resort.

The staff was wonderfu!!! They kept thegrounds immaculate and catered to you needs. They were on "Dominican time", which is definately slower than what we were used to, but, by the end of our week, we were on the same time. While tips were not required, we tipped anyway. This staff works hard and really cares about their customers. Our room stewards, Melky and Zuray, were great! They helped us book dinner reservations, golf and a shopping excursion. Both of these ladies made us feel that we were part of their family, yet were super professional.

All in all, the trip was wonderful and SO restful. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Be sure to get a swim up suite...there are great!
6 Thank MeanOleMom
Wentzville, Missouri
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We love Royal Suites! We did have issues when we first arrived, but found out the problem was with Orbitz, not RST! We upgraded and paid for the upgrade to the best room available. Orbitz listed the Royal Junior Suite as the best so we paid the extra and once we arrived were told the best was the Swim Up. Through Orbitz, the Swim Up was no extra charge. We looked at both rooms and the Swim Up was amazing. After 2 days, we moved to the Swim Up. It was amazing! The pools chairs/beds need to be replaced and we were actually told they were being replaced this year. The staff was incredible! Our butler and the restaurant staff catered to us. We felt like royalty! A few housekeeping issues (air, ceiling fan and shower), but maintenance came right away and fixed them! Not super crazy about all of the ala carte restaurants, but the Trattoria, Royal Suites Gourmet and the themed buffet were really good. Room service was surprising amazing as well! Little pizzas, fruit and drinks delivered at our whim ... who wouldn't want that? Well, we just booked our next trip to RST for November. We've told everyone about our experience so now a few family members want to experience what we did last year and are coming with us! We asked for our rooms all be next to each other, so we'll see if that's accommodated! We wouldn't even mind having our same room! November 2011 ... CAN'T WAIT!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mcaracci
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Mind you this was our honeymoon.. I myself(wife) have traveled all inclusive numerous times. Before booking I read reviews and seemed like this was a good choice. It was between the royal and the excellence. Figured the royal since it would be more for our money. Booked a royal romance suite with honeymoon package. When arrived we were dropped off at wrong resort.. no big deal. At check in desk, we were told our room wouldn't be available until following night (I booked our honeymoon 8 months in advance! NO reason for them not to know when we were arriving). We were told we would be upgraded. I could choose between a honeymoon suite or a deluxe. After having no sleep I just wanted a room to get settled in. We went with the honeymoon suite. Honeymoon suites are in the old section but plus they are close to beach. After getting settled and getting food, my wheels started turning realizing that the royal romance was way better then the honeymoon suite. I informed the desk I wanted to see the room I booked and they showed me a royal romance swim up which is exactly what I booked except not a swim up. WE WERE DOWNGRADED ROOMS! Honeymoon suites are nothing compared to the royal romance suites. I was livid after this point with no sleep and paying for a room I didn’t receive. I was informed it still wouldn’t be available until the next night. I demanded to get a swim up royal romance since I would miss out on one night already. I was informed it wouldn’t be ready for 2 nights so I would only be in it for 4 nights, I could either stay in the honeymoon for the second night as well or move to a royal romance in the second floor. Figured we would just stay since we didn’t want to move numerous times.. went back to the room after agreeing to this solution to find bugs all over the bathroom sinks! I called to the desk and told them we would be moving the next day because I wasn’t paying for bugs in my room. So we moved rooms 3 times. Butlers in the new section—royal romance suites were amazing!!! They basically made our trip some what pleasant. We thought the service at the restaurants were terrible. Felt ignored. Food was ok. Italian restaurant was good and enjoyed Japanese besides husband was sick after eating the shrimp there (I didn’t eat it and I was fine so it had to be that). It rained most of the week had a few days to lay on the beach. We tried Captain cooks restaurant off the beach to the right---AMAZING--- glad we found it the last day or we would have ate there all week. Food way better then hotel. I wish we would have spent the extra money and went to the Excellence—better yet we wish we would have went back to Mexico south of Cancun, which we have been. We compared everything to the Princess Playa del Carmen and the only thing that was better in Punta Cana was no rocks in the ocean. Newlywed wishing we could do our honeymoon over. We tell people we made the best of the situation. They never asked how your stay was when we checked out it’s a good thing because I was ready!

Room Tip: Stay in the new section
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kwilson26
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was the first time in Punta Cana for us. Our room (second floor) was perfect. Staff was excellent especially at Las Torres restaurant. The beach was great. The food is equal to or better than in Cancun.
We came back rested and are recommending this place to all our friends. The only complaint I have has nothing to do with the resort. The mensos at US Airways "misplaced" our bag between Charlotte and Phoenix and
when we finally got it the next day it was damaged, useless. So get to Punta Cana right away BUT do not fly US Airways.

7 Thank FPreciado
ltajes, Gerente at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
We appreciate very much your comments.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2011

A little rough at the start with a mixed up of reservation..dates..but what a fantastic finish..the food was great and room sevice had a small selection but Quality..The butler service personel Melky and Zuray was exceptional in going above and beyond, to get us well settled in..it was our anniversary and the room was all flowers and candles when we came back from dinner..the jacuzzi was run and flowers were stewn all neatly positioned.......and the champange was chilled and waiting..need me say more..one last bit of suggestion..ordere the burger from room service .the most tasty meat I ever enjoyed..

Room Tip: Catalina Island excursion and zip lining
3 Thank KEITH4706
Ottawa
Reviewed June 15, 2011

This was our second time at this beautiful property.
It was as good as our first stay but we run into one big and surprising problem.
During a week of 29 may to 12 June there was NO A/C !!!! in 2 of the Royal restaurants!!!????? Hot ...during breakfast, very hot ...during lunch
and ………..extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable during dinner!!!! It was actually cooler outside then inside (outside evening temperature +26C - +28C) .
Gym area too hot for training!!
There are a few constructions on the rest of the Palladium territory.
We would come back to this resort probably in 2-3 years when renovations are over.
Overall we rated this hotel 3 only because of A/C problem.
Food , service and staff just fantastic !!

16 Thank richardp1
ltajes, Gerente at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
We appreciate your comments, which help us to improve our service every day.
Unfortunately we had problems with the air conditioning system in the areas you mention. This was due that the external company who supplies this service had a problem in their system. This problem was fixed few days ago.
Actually The Royal Suites Turquesa is a brand new Hotel, and we do not have any work or maintenance services in this Hotel giving a 100% of our services to all our guests.
We apologize for this incident
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to TRS Turquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!