“U must go there”

and up
Tabacalera de Garcia Cigar Factory Tour from Santo Domingo
Ranked #7 of 19 Tours in La Romana
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour the largest handmade cigar factory in the world! Tabacalera DE Garcia Casa de Campo - La Romana, Dominican Republic. Makers of the Finest Dominican Cigars:Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, Don Diego, Santa Damiana, VegaFina, and Onyx amongst others. Come visit the largest hand-made cigar factory in the world, employing more than 4,000 people. Here you will see the proud handwork of the cigar industry’s most experienced craftsmen and women. Their Cigar Shop carries the best selection and prices of premium Dominican cigars.**Cigar Factory Tours, available by appointment only, are offered Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2PM.**
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“U must go there”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you wanna know the history of Dominican Tobbaco, you must go there, the taste, the fabric are very exciting to know and lern.

Visited October 2011

La Romana, Dominican Republic
“Once in a lifetime experience”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Everything you always wanted to know about cigars. Amazing !!!!
Una experiencia inolvidable !
Alles wat je wilde weten over hand rolled sigaren. Zeker doen.
Unglaublich wass mann ueber zigarren zuwissen bekommt.
Meilleur jour de la vacance pour un amateur de cigars

Emile
Vivaldi Cigar Lounge
Punta Cana DR

Visited May 2012
Ellisburg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Indepth Tour”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Getting to it is not easy to say the least. But once you do the tour is first class. My wife and I were able to arrive earlier than the bus tours and were provided with a personal 1 hr tour by Jasmine. Her father has worked at Garcia for 30 some odd years. Garcia is owned by the huge Imperial Tobacco Group. out of the UK. They own among other things Altadis which now I believe owns a majority or all of JR Cigars. The tour was very complete. The 1 hour tour was $10 per person. They have a shorter tour and a 2 hr tour which includes tasting. Frankly, it was amazing to see every step of the production including people actually putting the bands on and the cigars in the plastic wrap (when required). They also actually make the boxes and the labels in the facility. 5000K employees. Walking down into storage area and seeing the finished cigars ready for final aging before shipment was very interesting. Seeing brands I smoke on a regular basis was a special treat for me... Montes, Romeos, JRs (various including Casa Blanca and JR Alternatives) ..the list goes on and on.
The cigar prices in the shop were high though and no pictures are allowed during the tour which is unfortunate. But all in all a great tour. My wife a non smoker enjoyed the tour as well.

1 Thank kidagn11
Rochester, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“This was a delightful surprise!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Although I stopped smoking cigars years ago, I knew that most of those I smoked came from the Dominican Republic. Little did I know that they almost all came from this factory.

We were vacationing at the Iberostar Dominicus and, on a rare, rainy afternoon, we decided to go shopping in La Romana. We had heard that there was also a cigar factory in the city, so we also mentioned it to our driver and asked him to stop there if we had time. We are so glad we did as this is a tour not to be missed. Although we just showed up unannounced, a guide came out and took the four of us onto the factory floor and showed us, step by step, everything that was involved in the rolling, aging and packaging of their long list of premium cigars. This list includes, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, Davidoff, Henry Clay and Montecristo, as well as others. The size of the facility is astounding, housing more than 4,000 workers and producing 250,000 cigars each day. More astounding is that EVERYTHING in the factory is done by hand, including placing the bands and slipping on the cellophane wrappers. If you have the opportunity to take this tour, please do. Even our wives thought this was one of the highlights of the trip.

Pearl River, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Largest Cigar Factory in the World!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I am a big fan of hand rolled cigars so when we decided to stay in Punta Cana, I just had to make time for an excursion to this attraction. The website says it's 90 minutes from Punta Cana to the factory, but that was before the new highway. Now it's more like 40 minutes and easy to do.

There are several tours you can take. We took the one for $35, it came with a gift pack of four Montecristo cigars, sold in the gift shop for $30, so the tour cost $5!

The tour was very informative. While I consider myself a cigar expert, one of our party was a 25 year-old Marine, just back from duty, he enjoyed the tour too. The tour starts with the tobacco coming in the door from the warehouse and ends with the final packaging on pallets for shipment. No step is omitted, and the tour guide, who spoke perfect English, answered questions to the level of detail requested by the questioner.

For me the high point of the tour was standing in a room with 8 million cigars! And EVERYTHING is made by hand! From the raw tobacco, to the cutting, rolling and wrapping. Even the boxes are made in the factory with wood grown in the country! And while all the craftsmanship is done by hand, all the materials and finished product is bar-coded (and by assumption) computer tracked. It was brilliant to see the time-tested skills of hand production of quality cigars married to state-of-the-art inventory management!

Everyone there was friendly and helpful. Some of the best cigars in the world are made by the 4,700 people working at this facility. I had read about cigar production, seen pictures, even been to rolling events. Nothing prepared be to get my mind around the magnitude of this process. You really have to see it to fully understand it.

4 Thank Jerry R