“Short vacations”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in La Romana
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
“Short vacations”
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 4 nights in CDC. We purchased a nice special package with breakfast and some discounts included. I used the discounts for skeet shooting which I enjoyed very much. We love CDC and have benn there at least 4 times even though our last stay was back in 2008. So after 6 years, we returned. As always, service is impecable. We got a hotel room that really needs updating. The AC unit is old and falls short cooling during the day extreme temperatures. Furniture and room ammenities sream for renovation, which was our surprised as we had read that the hotel had gone extensive renovation. Surely, these rooms were not included in the special offer. Our golf cart was ok but stalled a lot. Did not bother to ask for exchanged as we had a rental car. Negative points: Fly season. If you are having breakfast or lunch outside, you will have to fight with the flies. In la Caña restaurant, the interior temperature was higher than normal, allowing for flies to invade. Food was good. Pool was great as was Minitas beach. At the pool, Franklin the bartender served great drinks. La Marina is always a great place to visit and enjoy. Altos de Chavón is a charming place to enjoy food and drinks. Overall, the renovations to the lobby and adjacent areas were very nice and CDC is a place to simply relax... It is expensive, but we know that even before booking. I would return...

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
North Brunswick
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Before I book anything, I research and research, that's why I love trip advisor. I don't understand why this hotel is considered luxury, or high end. First of all I stayed in a private villa, so I will not review that.

The first biggest problem was the mosquitoes. I called ahead of time maybe three times to speak to management at the hotel and I even asked the owner of the villa regarding spraying for mosquitoes. They all said the same thing, we spray for mosquitoes is not a problem. WRONG!!! Mosquitoes are a huge problem. There is a huge disease going around and I feel Casa De Campo is very relaxed with the mosquito problem. It is there job being in the tourism business to make sure that we are safe from this disease carried by mosquitoes. The longer I stayed the worst the problem was. I had an anxiety attack my last night because of the situation. Basically my whole family will be visiting our physician because it might be a good chance we now have a disease. I have been to other resorts in the Caribbean and I can tell they sprayed it wasn't even a 2nd thought.

2nd the pool was filthy! I understand the pool is under trees, but it needs to be cleaned. Forget about the kidding pool. The whole pool area is so dirty. They need to hire someone to sit next to pool to net up the leaves, bugs, etc. It's not right! We have guests paying a lot of money saving up to swim in a dirty pool?

3rd it was a mission finding a good restaurant. Most restaurants are outside which is okay but then you are basically eating with flies. I had only two good overall meals that I was not dealing with flies that was the Beach Club and La Cana. At the Beach Club the food was tasty but my husband was eaten up by mosquitoes. I forgot about the Cantina which they gave me the option to eat under the AC (which was a relief) so no flies and mosquitoes.

Overall I feel that if this is the most luxurious hotel I do not even want to know what a 3 star is. I think this is more for guests interested in golf. The beach is not good, the pool is dirty, and the place is so big it's uninviting and cold. I gave it three stars because unlike other hotels you can have guests visit you. There are nice areas to look at like Alto de Chavon, and I did have three restaurants that were good.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Mr and Mrs G
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is our return trip two years later, and everything was as good as the 1st time. The Good = Golf/Food/Service. The Bad = Dye fore was closed. The Ugly = nothing.

Highly recommend this property for a golf vacation.

Room Tip: 2nd floor -
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank golfeveryday
Phelps, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Casa de Campo for my nieces wedding in May. While the immediate family rented a casa on the water, we stayed at a balcony villa. Both places were spectacular. The room we stayed in was spotless and cleaned every day. The bed was turned down and slippers and candy waiting for us upon our return from the days events. We went on a catamaran to an island off the coast for the day where we had a B.B.Q and I had a message which was wonderful. The marina was lovely as were the shops and market. There also was donkey polo. We enjoyed watching our family ride the donkeys and try to beat each other in this game. Casa de Campo is a beautiful, friendly place and I would go again just to kick back and enjoy the beautiful beaches.

Room Tip: I truly believe any room would be suitable and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Donatile Q
Malibu, California
Reviewed August 2, 2014

When you arrive at the Hotel at Casa de Campo you realize just how big this place is and that it is a whole community with a lot of golf courses. It is so big that the front desk has the bell staff drive you to your room. Not to worry though about getting back to the front or around because every room comes with a golf cart for you during your stay and it is parked right in front of your room. My from was a deluxe king room and it was spacious. Great bed, great bath, great balcony with a view of one of the golf courses. The staff is amazing and the room staff is just great. Having the golf cart made it fun just to cruise the property from the little fishing village, the beach area, the restaurants. There is just so much to see. You do not need to play golf to enjoy Casa de Campo, you could spend a week just looking around. Just an amazing hotel and community.

Room Tip: Ask for a too on the second floor, little better view. Ask for a building a bit closer to the lobby...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank thecolonel1215
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We discovered "Golf Paradise", a foursome of males in the late sixties, we introduced our wife's in the 80's. Susan was never a golfer, but liked the shops, spa, going to dinner with group. This is a tropical 7,000 acre resort, on Southeastern coast of island. The resort has equestrian center, sport shooting, tennis, marina, shops, spa, great restaurants One night I had an asian-caribbean fusion. Soy glazed snapper, coconut hash, salad, watermelon, iced tea..All great. But the main focus is the 3 Pete Dye golf courses. "Teeth of the Dog" is the #1 course in Caribbean. The caddies are your salvation. The rest of the staff is excellent. The rooms are beautiful. I enjoyed my stay. Cost: $$$

Room Tip: Rooms facing South have best view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 387indy
Sugar Land, TX
Reviewed July 22, 2014

First the GOOD.............. Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore are some of the best golf courses I've even played. Teeth is just amazing. In eight days at Casa de Campo, we could not find a bad meal on the property. Also, we booked one of the older Pete Dye Lodge rooms for the stay. The resort did misrepresent the quality/cleanliness of the room when we inquired before arrival. However, the desk staff did look at the room assigned and move us to a better one when the realized the shortcomings. They did "rally". The golf cart for each room is a HUGE plus. The Marina area, Altos Chavon and beach areas are quite nice and free of solicitors. The security of the area is outstanding and prolific.

The BAD..... the old Pete Dye Lodge rooms are not being kept clean and the bathrooms need to have at least a little remodel. Rusty fixtures are not just old issues. I've stayed at century old U.S. hotels and know old hotels. The concierge is a little too concerned about getting you dinner reservations at an off season, empty resort and not too concerned about booking activities. The golf course maintenance staff do not know how to stay out of play and work in the direction of play so you get 4-5 straight holes of someone working around you. Also, the Teeth has a number of people touring the course that aren't paying a green fee and don't appear concerned that you did pay one. Also, for some reason, at 10 pm the hotel staff was moving furniture for an upstairs guest. Not sure the guest is not more to blame for asking something so goofy and putting the staff in a corner.

Room Tip: Do not book Pete Dye Lodge Rooms until they have improved the care of them.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Indiana86
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, we do appreciate our guests feedback as this will help us improve our services. We are glad to hear you enjoy the food and playing TOTD and Dye Fore Golf Courses. Regarding the Pete Dye Golf Lodge room we are sorry to hear it did not fulfill your expectations, We will definitely pass this information along to management.

Again thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you in the near future this time staying in our Elite Rooms in which you will have a Repeat guest amenities on your next stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Romana
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Now Larimar Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Casa de Campo Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!