“Very Large Resort”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in La Romana
jumomof3
“Very Large Resort”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Plan on allotting a lot of time to getting from point a to point b here especially if you are graced with a slow golf cart. I would strongly encourage management to make a dedicated golf cart lane on the main road (like the one to the beach from the registration area) as we felt like we were taking our lives in our hands several times when impatient drivers sped around us. The swim up pool bar and the beach restaurant (the seafood platter was outstanding) were our favorites. I had fun trap shooting for the first time thanks to the terrific, patient instructor. Our group activity was a catamaran trip to Catalina Island. The sapphire colored deep water was gorgeous when juxtaposed to the teal shoreline water and light sand. Snorkeling equipment is available to borrow, giving great viewing of ocean perch, clown and angel fish, coral, and interesting rock formations. I could have visited there every day. Don't miss if given the opportunity. Our room and common areas were meticulously clean. The bed was very comfortable, but a lightweight blanket would be a nice addition as the comforter was too hot/sheet alone too cool. I'm not a golfer, but it was beautiful to eat breakfast overlooking the courses overlooking the ocean.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jumomof3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed in May 2014. First off, don't come to the DR in May. The heat is oppressive and humidity and bugs are horrible. That, however, has nothing to do with the coming review. I can see why this would be a great resort for folks that want to golf for the majority of their stay during the cooler months, definitely a nice venue if that's your priority. The rooms are nice and the villas (from what I saw) are even nicer if you are looking for a nice home base. Unfortunately, when I am on vacation, I don't like sitting around my room, so it's not a major selling point for me or my fiance.

I've traveled to tons of resorts throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. Unfortunately, most were of better quality than Casa De Campo.

Guests of the hotel get a personal golf cart to travel in for the duration of their stay. This is completely necessary since most everything on the resort is far away from your room or villa. While the first day was a cool experience, sadly the 15-20 minutes it takes to get anywhere on the resort is quite annoying after a short while. Also, wear glasses while you are driving or you will get wind burn as the carts do not have windshields.

Food: The Food here is of terrible quality for the prices paid. The only decent meal we had was at Le Cirque and it was simply a good meal, nothing to write home about. The food at the marina restaurants was almost inedible. The restaurant at the hotel near the pool has a decent dinner, but again, when comparing to other resorts in other countries, this place is severely lacking. The breakfast buffet at the Lago Grill might be the biggest rip-off at the venue, pricing out at $37 per person (with service charges included). We went once and never returned as the quality of food is comparable to fast food. After speaking with other friends and guests that were in attendance, everyone agreed it was better to skip breakfast.

Tips/Service Charge: What are these and who gets them? The resort does not tell you what these chargers are for and how to tip properly. When asking for an explanation, most waiters said it was not part of their tip. Then what is the "service charge" for??

Rooms: Nice, clean, certainly not "5-star" but certainly solid. TVs are 90% in Spanish.

Maid Service: Excellent, very friendly and thorough maid service.

Beach: Extremely small and tons of bugs. Water was very warm. Do NOT come here if you enjoy spending most of your days at the beach. This is not a resort for that.

Casa De Campo has some really unique qualities and will certainly appeal to the golf set, but the value is simply not there.

Room Tip: Villas on golf course are nice
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kevin B
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, we do appreciate our guests feedback as this will help us improve our services. We are glad to hear our rooms and activities were up to your standards. Regarding the food we are sorry to hear it did not fulfill your expectations, We will definitely pass the information along to the corresponding departments for those restaurants. Again we appreciate your feed back and hope you visit us again.
Punta Cana
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed three nights in an elite room with a breakfast package that included a round of golf. The room was great and have zero complaints about it as it was unquestionably five star. The food and the service, however was most certainly not five star. Though the complaints are minor inconveniences, as opposed to vacation-ruining ones, they are sufficient enough to warrant pause or at least temper expectations when comparing this hotel with other luxury five star places.

1-Breakfast food was average. Breakfast meats were of below average quality and certainly not comparable to what you would see at good, or even average US breakfast buffets. And if your package does not include breakfast, an $80 breakfast for two is a bit of highway robbery.

2- Add 26% to every price you see printed. 16% Dominican VAT plus 10% Resort Fee. While allowed by law, this should be more transparent. For example what if any of the 10% resort/service fee goes to the workers? There is a line for additional tipping so maybe you really should add 35% to every price you see. Again, more an annoyance than anything else. But I'd like to know what I am paying for upfront and would rather see the prices trued-up for all fees.

3- Room service was not on point. I requested that upon return to my room a bottle of Champagne be waiting on ice on a champagne bucket. Had to call again and wait for it upon my return. Again, minor point, but these people are in the high-end hospitality business - ensuring a patron's bottle of champagne is set on ice is not an atom-splitting request.

4- Inconvenience of having to present your guest card upon signing of every single check in the resort. If they are going to be such sticklers about proving your identity, they should just give you a bracelet and call-it a day. Less of a hassle than carrying your little identity card around like you were living in some totalitarian state.

5- Great Golf, OK Beach. If you are going for a Golf Vacation, you will do well. Beach is not a white sandy beauty that you may expect. While the beach is sandy, once in the water expect uncomfortable rocks. Not excellent.

Overall good experience but enough little hassles to give me pause before travelling four hours from the east coast. Florida, Puerto Rico resorts probably offer equal value propositions.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erick B
Richmond Hill
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed for 5 days with friends at a 6 bedroom, ocean front villa equipped with swimming pool whirlpool and friendly staff. You purchase your own food and drinks but then the staff takes care of everything from morning till night. Golf carts are supplied so you can drive all around the huge gated compound which includes 3 golf courses.It was a most enjoyable experience
We stayed 3 nights at the hotel which has a central reception area, dining facilities and various sporting activities. It is not a typical hotel; you have townhouse condo type rooms. Once again you get your own golf cart to drive to the beach, the marina and a replica village.
It is not cheap of course but we had a great time,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank RHSCRaider
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

This place is unbelievable! Staff are very friendly! We got a golf cart to drive around in which was pretty cool! Food here is fantastic! Better than expected!
Rooms are clean. The room cleaners are attentive! They clean room during day and then a turn down service whilst at dinner.
Pool is relaxing! With a swim up bar! Great cocktails!
Disappointed that the shop did not have any size 9 in any of the 5 shoes I liked.
Overall I would definitely choose casa de campo again!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank traveller8896
Briarcliff Manor, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband booked a last minute trip here for our honeymoon in December. I came here without knowing what to expect but was pleasantly surprised! We drove here from Santo Domingo airport.The property is beautiful, meticulously maintained and huge! You are given a golf cart to move around. Every day we would drive to different part of the resort and explore. We booked the all inclusive plan, which is pricey, but absolutely first class! The staff know that we were there for our honeymoon, we were treated with a private dining cabana by the beach and serenaded by a guitar singing trio. It was most beautiful and romantic!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iamjaneli
Levittown, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went to Casa de Campo with my husband and 4 year old son 5/8-5/12. We had "won" the hotel stay from a raffle prize... This included the hotel only, and we had to pay for our flight and meal plan. First off, our travel agent from JetBlue Getaways (Danielle Radzinsky) was the absolute worst. The few times we called her to ask questions her toddler was screaming in the background and she was never available, and very slow to answer emails (if she answered them)...We never had confirmation of my husband's golf times from her, (which were supposedly cheaper if we pre-booked them through her). She was rude when explaining about the meal plan, which cost a fortune, and seemed annoyed that I was asking about it. She also left out some information that a travel agent should know - like all of things that I am about to complain about, and, she said she had been there herself with her own child, so she knew about them first hand.

Arrival to hotel was easy enough, check in was smooth. We were told that although we had the "meal plan", it didn't include top shelf liquor (which the meal plan states it does). Our first meal was at the Lago Grill, which is the only place to eat breakfast. The buffet style cafeteria slop was really gross... and certainly not worth the $97 the bill came to. Even if you are on a meal plan, you have to get a check from every restaurant and sign it... a little unnerving when you paid for a meal plan and you don't know if you are now going to get charged, and really, an inconvenience, b/c you have to give them your room key, even at the pool or the beach, so they can check you out. Also, every single meal is subject to a 16% gratuity... highway robbery when you see the prices...but they give you the check to sign b/c they want you to add even more gratuity on!!! The only restaurants worth eating at (on the meal plan) were La Cana and Las Casitas... however you would've thought fresh fish would have been fresh... the "catch of the day" grouper was clearly frozen. I'm not impressed. I have a gluten intolerance, and even in explaining it to the servers in spanish they didn't understand what that meant. I was sick after most of my meals.

The grounds are very pretty, but you have to drive a golf cart, on a main road with speeding cars, buses and maintenance crew, to get to the beach (a 10 min golf cart ride) or the marina (a 20 min golf cart ride). If you go to Los Altos (which is built in 1980's so don't be so impressed by the "15th century architecture"), it's at least 25-30 min by golf cart. Our room had a view of a lawn (not even the golf course) and was very 1980s style decor... the floor seemed dirty, and there were dead bugs by the sliding doors to the balcony. We saw a fumagador truck a few times, so clearly they have a pest control problem.

Housekeeping came to the room to do turn down service at 9pm. Maybe I'm not cool enough, but on a family vacation with my 4 year old, we are already in for the night at 9. They didn't even knock, they just tried to come right in, the dead bolt on the door lock stopped her, but woke me up, so I realized what happened...

nothing in the minibar was included on the meal plan, and when we had to open a bottle of water, it cost $10.

The pool was not very clean, the kiddie pool always had bugs and leaves floating in it. The floor around the pool (some kind of slate I guess) was always slippery and both my son and myself almost broke our heads slipping... you have to show a room card just to get towels, and at the beach they right your room number and name down when you take towels and it said on the top of the sheet "subject to $750 fine if you don't return them"... except no one was there when we returned them!

In my opinion, for such a "fancy" place, they could've done better. I never felt like I could just relax and forget about things... always signing bills or worrying about what's not included and what we're going to get charged for.

We would suggest you save $$ and go to Barcelo Bavaro, where you can truly feel pampered and on vacation. This place just tries to milk you for more money wherever they can.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Melissa E
casaguestmanager, Director General at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, June 27, 2016
Greetings from Casa

Greetings from Casa de Campo La Romana!!!

Allow us to express our most sincere gratitude to you for coming to Casa de Campo to spend your vacation and for letting us know about your stay.

At Casa de Campo we take the opinion of our guest as the most important tool to improve our areas and provide a better service.

We reiterate our gratitude and hope you can give the opportunity to change your perspective about some of our services and facilities.

Best Regards,

Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
#24 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Casa de Campo Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!