I write this review after being home less than 24 hours from a 5 day stay at this property with my wife. We stayed from March 6-10, 2014 in room 348. It was nearly perfect minus the extremely high 18% tax ON EVERYTHING in addition to the mandatory 10% service charge.
The room was spectacular. Clean, modern, lots of light, spacious with a great view of the teeth of the Dog course. The staff was always kind, helpful and pleasant. The caddies were nice and knowledgeable and offered quite a few good tips.
This place is as advertised. It is an outstanding property with more things to do than some may ever have time for. Elegant yet casual but not the wild toga party crowd. I cannot say enough about the many wonderful people we met, the staff and the high level of service. HOWEVER......
At this price the food simply must improve. It was THE major disappointment of the entire stay and Consistently bad save for the mini burgers at the La Cana Bar. They were quite good.
The first night we relaxed at main bar and had drinks and mini burgers that were outstanding and we hoped indicated good things to come. It wasn’t meant to be. The next morning we had breakfast att the Lago Grill. The fresh juices were the highlight. They were outstanding and fresh and the made to order pancakes were quite good as well although the syrup was a little chilly.
The omelet ingredients were unimaginative at best and down right freshly unfrozen as it related to the spinach. The bacon was razor thin and the sausage tasted old and was dry.
Lunch at Pepperoni was somewhat better but underwhelming as we ordered the Civeche and a bottle of wine. Dinner that night was off property by a gentleman we’d met that day.
Breakfast was the same day two. Lunch at Papa Jacks located at the Altos de Chavon was just more disappointing mediocrity. We ordered grilled fish and a salad. The lettuce was limp and tasteless and the fish was not only a small portion but lacked and depth of flavor and was most likely frozen not long before it came out on our plates.
By this time we were suspecting the fix was in but reserved final opinion as we had made reservations at La Casita on the marina. The setting was nice and again the staff superb. The food was forgettable as we ordered the grilled platter of small but tender lobster, over cooked and tuff shrimp, surprisingly tasty calamari and a mystery vegetable casserole that was completely awful. By this time we decided to just drink.
Fast forward to Dinner of the next night we dined at La Can II by Circo at the main building. I had given up hope of getting fresh seafood from the ocean 300 yards away and chose to order a rib-eye steak med-rare. It came out cooked properly and surprisingly with flavor but at 12 ox pre-cook weight just wasn’t enough. It would have made a great appetizer. My wife ordered fish and Dominican rice and peas which arrived as rice no peas and another poor showing of so called fish.
We will return! We will book an exclusive house go into town and buy our food, stop at the marina and buy FRESH FISH off one of the boats and prepare our own meals on the grill and or the fine Viking equipment found in the villa we chose. Oh yes, we will seek the mini burgers and count ourselves lucky with every encounter of the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the most exclusive resort destination in the Caribbean—Casa de Campo Resort and Villas—a stunning 7,000-acre hotel, resort, and residential community in La Romana on the southeastern coast of the Dominican Republic. Our tropical playground features a unique array of amenities, including an expansive marina, tennis courts, and polo facilities. Casa de Campo is also one of the most sought-after Dominican Republic golf resorts featuring three championship golf courses — including Pete Dye’s masterpiece, Teeth of the Dog, the #1 ranked course in the Caribbean and number 39 in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Casa de Campo Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De Campo Hotel La Romana
- Casa De Campo Dominican Republic
- Casa Del Campo Dominican Republic