“Superb Riding”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Superb Riding”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I visited Rancho Lorilar the day after a massive thunderstorm and perhaps because of this, I was the only customer that morning. Angel picked me up at my hotel and gave me a friendly welcome and talk about the ranch as he drove me there in an air conditioned minibus. Crazy Alex was to be my personal guide for the morning and he seemed really pleased when he discovered that I owned a horse and loved galloping! (They do take time to establish your level of riding and obviously take safety seriously). After fitting my helmet and adjusting my stirrups I mounted elDorado and we set off at the trot through the outskirts of Puerto Plata and into the beautiful countryside. My horse was pretty much bomb-proof and never spooked at barking dogs, motorbikes, cows, turkeys and piglets! Once out of the town, Crazy Alex and I did loads of cantering and galloping, but the best bit for me was the fast cantering through the streets of the town on the way back - really exhilarating! My only disappointment was that I didn't get to meet Joyce, as I had heard so much about her on the Internet.
If you are visiting the Puerto Plata area, you really must try horse riding at Rancho Lorilar - it certainly was the highlight of my holiday so far. If only I could entice my wife away from the poolside!

• Polish first
Milton
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“We loved our full day horseback ride!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I read reviews through trip advisor which helped me to find this excursion! The reviews were right ! From the pick up , to drop off, everything went smoothly and as planned. We were picked up at the Riu bachata resort by our driver, who was playing upbeat carribean music. You could hear him coming through the parking lot... Kind of like when the ice cream truck arrived when you were little. Lively carribean music playing where everyone could dance along ! We were scheduled for a full day ride, which was approximate ride time from 10-3. One other couple rode with us and our 2 guides.

We ( my husband and I) arrived at the ranch for our full day ride and were greeted by the fantastic Joyce. She is such a funny,lively, and informative hostess. She introduced us to our ranch guides Raphael and Pedro. Raphael was great and made sure we were taken care of everywhere we went. They took us through the Dominican countryside to see how the Dominican people live. We snacked on fresh mangos that Raphael retrieved for us. Our first stop was at a little bar on the countryside. We bought drinks for $1 each. I will warn you that the restroom facilities are very primitive ( no toilet seats or toilet paper) ... So try to use the restroom back at the ranch before you leave on your excursion. We went through the jungle and stopped at a small restaurant in the village and had lunch. I believe our hostess/ salesman was named Pablo. The lunch was delicious and we took our time eating , conversing with the other couple that rode with us and then we looked around at what they had for sale there. I will tell you that Pablo is very persuasive, so bring your negotiating skills and your money. They did make you feel at home there with the nice lunch they served us. It's one of the things I came to love about the Dominican Republic . We spent about an hour there for lunch.

After lunch, we continued through the jungle . There we saw many beautiful plants and we crossed several streams. The horses were in good shape and were very sure footed through the rocky and hilly terrain. My husband used to own horses and was leary before we went riding and I have to say , he was extremely impressed with the horses and how thy reacted to barking dogs, motorcycles, stepping on palm sheddings and not getting spooked,etc. We stopped at one spring and swam/ wadded in the water. We stayed there for 30- 45 minutes and then continued into my favorite part of the trip, which was seeing the mountain view of the city. We went through playa dorada( I think that is the name) and saw some pretty homes and the beautiful water . This is where Pedro, our other guide, let us trot the horses a little. The boys loved that! Lol!

We had a great time on our ride! I highly recommend doing this excursion. It was actually one of our favorite things we did while we were in puerto plata. The price is good too at $70 per person for a full day. Transport was free.. Which was a real bonus.

Kilwinning, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Faultless tour”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

. We phoned Lorilar ranch when we were in Puerto Plata and arranged a full day excursion which I can honestly say was one of the best excursions I have ever been on during any holiday. I had never really ridden a horse before but I was bitten by the bug and now would never go on holiday without doing it again. It was a faultless trip getting picked up from our hotel in the morning and I am only glad I organised it direct with Lorilar rather than through the tour operator who only offered half day trips as I would have been sorry to cut the experience short. The scenery was fabulous, the guides were great, the horses impeccably and the lunch that was provided was really good. We stopped at little spot with great scenery and a chance to buy a drink basically in the middle of nowhere and I was amazed that three bottles of chilled cokes cost 100 pesos. I was expecting to be charged much more and I'm am still not convinced that price was correct but I'm not complaining. If I was forced to think of anything on this trip that could be improved I would honoustly struggle to come up with something. Five stars all the way.

Visited June 2013
Riverview, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great day of riding”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we were picked up at are hotel, Angel was the most polite and helpful person we had met. Joyce welcomed us to the ranch and introduced the staff to us. Angel and Willie were to take us on the ride, and we were "introduced" to our horses. The horses we rode were great and followed commands the riders gave.
The ride through the villages and countryside was informative and beautiful. I would hIghly recommend the ranch to anyone wanting to see more of the country via a peaceful ride.

Visited June 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Puerto Plata Must Do!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We did the whole day horseback riding and had an amazing time! Joyce is hysterical and our guides Pedro and Raphael were wonderful! The countryside is beautiful and we learned a ton about Dominican life. The lunch was delicious! Best food we ate all week! We would recommend to everyone!

1 Thank Ryan N