“Ocean World is a real adventure”

Ocean World Adventure Park
Ocean World Adventure Park Day Trip from Santo Domingo
$147.99*
Combination Dolphin and Sea Lion Encounter
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean World Adventure Park, is the most complete entertainment complex of the Dominican Republic, located in Cofresi Beach,just 3 miles west from the town of Puerto Plata. Ocean World Adventure park is the most advanced interactive marine park of its kind. Guests will have the opportunity to touch, pet and feed all their favorite animals and mammal friends, including dolphins, sea lions, sharks, stingrays, exotic tropical birds; walk through rain forests and much, much more! Truly an experience of a lifetime.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Bothell, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ocean World is a real adventure”
Reviewed March 14, 2009

Ocean World Adventure Park is certainly not what I would have expected in a third world country like the DR. The facilities were clean and modern and on a par with the likes of Sea World.

I had been told that it was geared toward adventure tourism and not much toward entertaining the casual guest. That perspective could not have been more wrong. There were numerous attractions providing performances throughout the day and timed in such a way that you could easily take in all of the shows with ease.

I particularly enjoyed the aviary! Upon entering a staff member is there to give you a handful of bird seed and immediately thereafter you have lovebirds literally eating out of your hand. My wife had birds on both shoulders and her head all at one time.

The exhibits are set up so that you follow a path and take in every aspect that the park has to offer. There is even a beach with lounge chairs so that you can relax in the sun and take in more of the park at your leisure.

As part of the price of admission you get to use snorkle gear and swim in the reef pool with the fish. Make sure you bring your own towel because one will not be provided for you. For the more adventurous there are a number of options that allow you to swim with the dolphins, stingrays, and the nurse sharks. Fun options, but they are pretty spendy.

The marina is a world class facility with everything the luxury boater needs. Judging from the numerous luxury water craft at the marina the day we were there, it's a pretty popular place.

The casino is pretty lame! It's small and has very little to offer the gaming enthusiast. We stayed less than an hour and then took a cab back to our resort.

Overall, it's a top notch facility with very attentive staff. By all means go to the adventure park, but unless you're really in need of a gambling fix don't bother with the casino.

1 Thank BigGuy58

• Slovak first
Alberta, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“How to ruin a Family Holiday”
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My family and I were on our first visit to he Dominican and had booked the Swim with the Dolphins Experience and Shark Encounter and we were all looking forward to the "Experience of a Lifetime". All was well as we took our orientation and headed off to swim with the dolphins, there was eight in our group six adults and two kids. When we got to the pen my son was a little nervous but was willing to try. I went first and it was quite nice, then the trainer wanted my son to go next, my son told him he would like to wait but the trainer challenged him and my son still wanted to wait so another child went and as she did the trainer taunted my son in front of the whole group and brought him to tears, now my son was both scared and embarassed and the trainer continued to make comments even after I told him it was OK if my son did not want to participate. Other adult participants approached me and said it was embarassing, but the staff did nothing except tell me I would not get a refund (I had already told them I didn't care about the money my son was more important) and chase me with a slip of paper to sign explaining why my son would not participate. Needless to say this trainer ruined our day and my son did not want to participate in the shark encounter either(Again the staff were there with their little slip of paper for me to sign). That was our day a colossal waste of money and a terrible start to our trip that has left an extremely poor taste in my mouth for this attraction and I would never recommend it to anyone. It cost $375 that I might as well have thrown in the garbage.

My advice if your thinking of this attraction , SAVE YOUR MONEY and go scuba diving!!! But thats another story.

1 Thank BagelAlberta_Canada
New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dolphin Swim, Ocean World Peurto Plata”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I spent 1/2 day at Ocean World last week. It was my second visit, I went 2 years ago with my family, this year I went alone, my main focus was to swim with the dolphins. It is truly an awesome experience to be so up -close and personal with these wonderful mammals- [yes they are mammals ] It is a bit expensive but it's something you do once in a lifetime. Upon arrival you check in and get your bracelet which tells you your swim time with the dolphins. My time was 12pm so I had to wait around for a few hours. No biggie... I kept occupied with the birds, tigers and the sealion show.I had to be at the designated area to prepare for my swim; remove all jewelry , shower and get a life vest on,and keep all your possessions in a locker. You carry the key around with you. DON'T LOOSE IT OR YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY $200.00 FOR A LOST KEY!!!!. Heed this warning!!! When I was IN THE TANK doing my swim I saw a young girl trying to STEAL my key off of my underwater camera handle [ THEY WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO BRING IN AN UNDERWATER CAMERA ]
[ I had the key attached to the handle.] I was aware enough to know something stunk so I asked a man if he would mind getting my camera and taking some pictures of me. When he picked it up the handle had been removed, the key still on. it The girl knew I was on to her so she got out of there real fast!!! I told one of the employees that she tried to take my key and I made a lot of other people aware of what was going on. I know she was out to get my key to steal my belongings but worse I would have had to PAY $200.00 FOR THE MISSING KEY.!!!! I tried to tell a security guard but needed someone to translate. The girl walked by at that moment and security didn't know what to do!!!! I couldn't prove she tried to take it, although it had been removed. It was my word against hers!!! I told them to be a lot more aware of something like this . I emptied my locker and everthing was there, While getting dressed the girl walked past me and I confronted her. She knew what I was saying but played dumb, and called someone on her cell phone. I think she was working the place and had accomplices. All in all it was a great experience and would have gone down as my top 10 ,but for this experience. I think it dispicable people taking advantage of tourists who are spending their money so freely and to help out these struggling countries. Words of wisdom;" have eyes in the back of your head and watch your backs and all your possessions!!!"

2 Thank DIEDIE
Dominican Republic
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“fab!”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

the best!!
swam with the sharks!
the staff was great and the experience was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

1 Thank crisostomo_44
ontario
“its not all that”
Reviewed February 23, 2009

it cost me over $150 per person to go there just for like three hours. the reason while it's so expensive was because i wanted to do the dolphin encounter its an extra $70 , they said it was 30 mins to play with the dolphin but there are like 15 other people lined up to encounter the same dolphin so really you get about like 3 minutes. the park was small there was not much to see it only take you about 2 - 3 hour tops to catch all the shows and to walk around. it was nothing special, i thought dolphin encounter would be fun but not when you paid $150 to go to the park and only get like a few minute to touch the dolphin.