“The truth about Lifestyle Residence Suites”

Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The truth about Lifestyle Residence Suites”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just returned from the resort and I had to write a review since I relied so heavily on them prior to my trip. I took the trip solo via an "all-inclusive deal for two" through Groupon. It wasn't quite "all-inclusive", but most things were covered. The entire place was beautiful and clean - picturesque! The pools were sparkling and the poolside beds were well maintained. The landscaping was impeccable. The staff was friendly and everyone seemed happy to be there. I felt like a visiting family member.

My room was nice - overlooking the pool near Bellini. I froze the first night until I adjusted the AC (silly me!) I never used the safe (which is an additional cost to rent). My money and possessions were always as I left them in my suitcase. The housekeeper was sweet. I left her a tip each morning and she left fresh flowers and towels in the shapes of a different animal or bird each day. (probably for all guests, but it still made me feel special.) The mattress was pretty hard, but I guess the quiet and beauty compensated because I slept well and I NEVER sleep well.

I had a yellow band, but didn't really feel restricted from anything. There were a few restaurants and two beaches (Hamony and Serenity) that were off limits, but it wasn't a big deal to me. I enjoyed Cofresi. There always seemed to be activities going on...pool volleyball, yoga, bingo, water aerobics, etc...

The shuttles were adequate for getting around the huge resort. I did spend a good bit of time waiting at times, but I kept a book on hand and enjoyed the beautiful weather and scenery as I waited. Golf carts are available for VIP members.

The crown and residence suites are fine for sleeping, but a bit secluded from the action. I didn't find the receptionists very accommodating as I had to go to the Tropical to get assistance with things like confirming my airport transportation, booking excursions, wiFi access (which isn't included/free, but there are hot spots that allow access. Unfortunately, they didn't tell you about the - even though I asked!)

I took the city tour excursion which included a cable car to the top of the mountain for $49. They probably shouldn't call it a city tour since there wasn't much to see but the cable car was cool. They should offer that solo for a lower cost. I didn't get to do the waterfall excursion, but I heard great things about it. I will definitely do that one if I return. I had no problems with mosquitos or insects. (I used insect repellent as recommended but I'm not sure if I even needed it.) Take sunblock - even if you're non-causasian! I saw a lot of burned bodies. I came home beautifully tanned.

There were drinks available everywhere! I'm a social drinker, so it wasn't a big deal. I had lots of virgin pina coladas but others seemed content with the alcohol offerings and I didn't see anyone who seemed drunk throughout the entire trip. (Then again...I skipped most of the night life.)

Here's a run down of the food: Zen, is a bar on VIP beach (not only for VIP members) which is also a wifi hotspot. They have the best snack/lunch options in my opinion...fresh sushi, fried chicken wings, nachos. Either go there or get pizza from Bellini. There was more food than anyone would care to eat. I can't say much of it was anything to write home about, but you won't be hungry. Dinner required reservations, which were preselected prior to arrival. You're advised that you can change them at the front desk between 9-11AM daily, but there was never any other options available.I'm a seafood lover but the one seafood restaurant, Blue Lagoon, was booked solid for the entire week before I ever arrived. Moonlight had great ambiance and the grilled veggies and rice were perfect. The BBQ porkchop was just okay. Bellini, is an Italian restaurant with your typical options. Their service is great! I enjoyed the pizza. The lasagna was okay...the pasta was clearly freshly made. I also ate breakfast there most days out of convenience. There were no lines and all of the restaurants serve the same breakfast menu anyway. Try a made to order omelet and the croissants with pineapple marmalade! Rodizio provided my favorite dinner although I'm not a big meat eater. The salad bar was excellent and the service was amazing! I loved everything; I just couldn't eat that much meat, so I only finished the glazed pork and turkey. I nibbled a little of the chicken, sirloin, and sausage just to get a taste of all of it. I loved the grilled pineapple! DO NOT eat at the Asian restaurant, Indochine!!! The food was horrible and made me sick on the last night of my trip. The greasy, overcooked spring rolls, general tso's chicken (at least that's what it was supposed to be) and "fried rice", which looked and tasted more like a bad attempt at dirty rice, were completely inedible. I only took 3 bites, but I couldn't escape the consequences. Let's just say...I had a LOOONG, uncomfortable trip home.

I wasn't there for the Sunday welcome party, but it must have been great because people were talking about it all week. There was a party Thursday night with music, food, and cool entertainment. I was beat from long days in the sun, so I didn't do any of the discos. You can tell me how you like those. Maybe I'll try them on my next vacation. All in all, I enjoyed my trip and felt completely safe vacationing alone. I could walk away from my bag even on the beach or by the pool. The only concern was that the sales guys had lists of every guest's name and room number and would notice you walking and call you by name. They all knew that I was there alone, which I would never have shared. Several of them hit on my, but I'm a cutie so that's to be expected. :) Nothing made me think I was in danger but I didn't like that they had my information.
I only took $200 US cash, a credit card (which I never used. don't forget to call your bank before you leave if you plan to use a credit or debit card while traveling) and my cell phone. I never exchanged my money and still had cash left over after my $10 tourist card, $49 excursion, about $70 for souvenirs, tips, and airport food while traveling there and back. I added $25 global data plan through Verizon to access email for communication...calls and texts are expensive, my smartphone also doubled as my camera. If you aren't going to add a special plan, be sure to turn off your data and global roam capabilities before you land and don't check your voicemail!!! You will be billed if you receive emails. Your plan won't cover anything including texts, while you travel. I didn't use room service or the spa. I thought Metamorphosis seemed a bit expensive, so I'll get a massage now that I'm back home. Enjoy your trip and write a review when you get back!

Room Tip: If you only need to sleep, go cheap. The rooms are all clean and comfortable. Don't drink the wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank BrownSoloTravelGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Presidential Suites Resort is a small resort (http://www.lhvcresorts.com/ps-pp/) with 2-bedroom suites which can be sub-divided into a 2 bed room, a king bed room, and a Murphy bed room with a kitchen. We had the entire suite so plenty of space for me, my hubby and two teen daughters. Each bedroom had a shower, jetted tub, hair dryer, mini fridge, iron and ironing board. The kitchen was stocked with dishes that I never touched (except for a wine glass and a coffee cup). They kept bottled water, sodas and beer in the fridge. No wine or alcohol though because of our band color (more on that below) The suite looked exactly like the photos in the web site. A very pleasant plus.

The resort is one of several in the Lifestyle Holiday family complex so we could go to the other resorts (Confrisi Palm Beach, Tropical, Crown Suites) and use their facilities and the beaches they had. The complex is large and walkable, but they need more signs and better short cuts. We walked in circles those first days until we figured out a more straight-forward path. They have shuttles running to get you from one resort to the other but once we figured it out, we walked. Conversely, some of the guests at the other hotels could not use our restaurant as dictated by the color of your wrist band. I agree with other reviews, that the band colors imply almost a class system: we had RCI turquoise bands. I think we were 3rd in the pecking order. Gold bands are for Lifestyle time share owners; black bands (they aren’t paper but rubber and metal) are for time share owners who are investors. There are other colors like red and beige that appear more at the other resorts. Because we had a turquoise band, we could eat at some of the VIP restaurants and had a wonderful lady named Wendy make reservations for the week when we arrived for each night. I overheard another couple staying at the Tropical say they could only make reservations each morning for that night so totally different experience for them. The black and gold bands could get to more restaurants and 2 private beaches and could have their refrigerator stocked with more items (wine included).

That leads me to the time share sales. The white shirt people hunt down the red, beige, etc bands while the faded aqua shirt people hunt down the RCI people. We quickly figured out we were assigned to what we called a ‘shark’ who tried to pitch us trading in our RCI property for their Lifestyle Holiday property. We met a couple who did the trade and met a couple who were black band owners. They all felt good about their decision. Because we agreed to go on the property tour, we got wine & champagne in our room one day, and a prime seat at the Sunday show. I enjoyed seeing the off-limits parts of the complex but wasn’t in the mood to forfeit an afternoon negotiating a trade. Once I firmly (and almost rudely) told them no-no-no, we were left peacefully alone the rest of the week.

So back to the vacation: we had wi-fi access free; but only in our resort. The bar is near the pool but not in the pool. Confresi and Tropical had a bar in the pool that we could use. For some of the restaurants, the men had to wear long pants. The resort loaned my hubby some but it really is an archaic thing since we saw young women in short shorts dining – what’s the difference? As big as the breakfast buffets were, I was disappointed in the lack of healthy choices. They had fruit and really long omelet lines but the cereal was limited to corn flakes and fruit loops and the oatmeal was loaded with whole milk and sugar. One restaurant had yogurt, the rest none. Lunches were fine. Dinners were a nice variety but we never ate dinner at the buffets thanks to Wendy – we tried the Brazilian, the Asian, the Mexican, etc restaurants. Our favorite was VIP Gourmet.

We booked two tours through the front desk. The lady there was helpful and not pushy at all. My teens and I did a city tour – and we booked a catamaran trip but it was canceled due to weather. I was pleasantly surprised that they canceled it (I was concerned when I saw the clouds and winds) and they helped us rebook on another tour. We ended up doing Ocean World which was so-so but at least we didn’t go on an un-safe trip and we didn’t lose our money. hubby went diving but arranged it separately before we left the U.S.

There are a couple of beach vendors that have small buildings. We bought from William some t-shirts, cover-ups, etc. The vendors are pleasant to deal with and not pushy nor do they harass you when you are on the beach.

So would we recommend it? Yes. There’s a kids club for the small kids, a teen room which my daughters deemed lame (Xboxes, etc). There’s nightly shows and a disco. The beaches are more in an alcove, so not much for my long beach walks, but pretty enough. I’m also intriqued by the Lifestyles Time Share proposition so may listen to a pitch next time, but don’t tell the sharks ;-)

Room Tip: We had 34-35-36 right off the side of the lobby and close to the pool/bar/restaurant. Could see the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Walking_Michelle
New Jersey
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Let me 1st start by saying that my group visited with a Shareholder (black band) and I do believe that made a difference in our stay at Lifestyle. We had a 3 bedroom Villa and could not have been happier. It was modern, clean, had a great pool and view. Breakfast was cooked to order for us each day and services kept us stocked with plenty of drinks each day. We were able to go to the new Deja View beach which was wonderful! All the restaurants we visited were great too - Azul, Jazz, Skewers, and the Sunday evening party was a real show. This was my 2nd visit and similar to the first, no complaints here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Anytown, USA
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Review of Lifestyle Vacation Crown Villas

We traveled here in March 2013 on the Gold Bracelets. Access to all except one beach, and all except one restaurant. Nice to be able to get a drink or food anywhere we liked. Food during the day was scattered throughout the resort, so even though the restaurants and buffets were not always open, there's usually some bar food you can get anytime.

Resort: This place is spread out over quite a few acres. Lots of pools and bars to visit. Many people travel the resort by golf-cart, but we walked to as much of it as we could. We had a centrally located villa that made getting to places easy. I suppose that if your villa was off in the neighborhood, a golf cart would come in handy. The resort itself seems to be getting old, and it looks as though they don't want to spend a dime for upkeep if they don't have to. Missing letters in many of the slogan signs gave the place, for me, a general feel that no money shall be spent if something breaks. One issue I do have is that the accommodations you get are not guaranteed in any way. You cannot reserve a particular villa, nor are you even guaranteed to be housed on the resort property. I spoke to a few people who had their "reservation" messed up, and who were not happy with the results.

Accommodations: We had a villa that was centrally located. this one seemed to be on a bit more land than others. This was good as we had 11 in our party. The villa was OK. We had issues with running water (it didn't work 3 mornings out of seven that we were there). Our shower head was broken, and replaced with a hose/head. The wall mount for the head was crap so the shower stream pointed at the wall 100% of the time unless you held the head in your hand. The shower door rollers were busted, so opening and closing the door was tricky at best. Although we did have an outdoor eating area (which we used everyday due to the size of our group), there were two A/C units just next to the able which made breakfasts quite noisy with people shooting above the din of the A/C to hear each other. The bed in our room was just OK. The windows in our room didn't close all the way, leaving space for the heat of the day to enter. Of all the A/C units in our villa, our room's was the oldest, and had the hardest time keeping up with the heat. Everyone else's rooms were chilled but ours lacked the refreshing feel when coming in from the heat. When we called maintenance, they came to look at it and told us we had failed to turn it on! Maintenance was never any help, and in my opinion they made things worse. When we ordered a spare bed, it came to the wrong room, and as we were moving it stains on the underside of the mattress became obvious (see photos). Upon arrival, after waiting 2 hours after check-in to be able to go to our villa, the pool light was floating out of its socket (see photos).

Water: I list this as a separate item because I feel it is important to mention. The villas had water purification units (like deep rock water dispensers). But there was no sign telling anyone about whether to drink the tap water or not. No one ever mentioned anything about the tap water. One day I was speaking to our maid. I noticed she had made coffee. I asked her which water she used to make coffee. She pointed to the purified water, saying 'I never use the tap water for anything but cleaning'. With that kind of attitude from the maid, I would expect at least a little sign warning people about the tap water. Nope. Nada. Not a mention anywhere. I used a bit of tap water when brushing my teeth, and am still paying for it with the trots even after arriving home.

Beaches: The beaches here are decent. Our favorite was Serenity beach, with NV beach being a close second. These are both Gold band beaches, so not everyone gets into them. Serenity is a ways away form most of the action, and so we found it to be quite pleasant and much less crowded (if at all). We also enjoyed the beach beds (not chez lounges, beds). There are hammocks in many places, even double-decker beach bed setups. Great for families.

Drinks: Drinks are available everywhere you go. The beaches have waiters who come around with drinks and food if you want to remain relaxed. Although they have higher end alcohols at the bars, you have to ask for it to get it. The refrigerator in our villa was supposedly to be stocked everyday with cervezas waters and cokes. This didn't happen unless we requested it, and at first they were only stocking us with 5 waters and 5 beers. We had 11 in our party, so this quickly became a problem, if for nothing more than, we had to drink bottled water (tap was no good). One day, we requested a double order of drinks to our fridge, which they filled, but then they didn't give us anything the next day. And by the third day, we had to ask again for the regular amount of drinks to the fridge.

Food: Most of the food is what I'd call bar-food. in USA, this kind of food can easily be found at cafeteria and or buffet style restaurants. This is to be expected, after all they are feeding tons of people throughout the day in numerous places on the resort. The restaurants, the ones where you must reserve a place, do have better food. Mostly because they are serving to a smaller, captive audience. Jazz, Simply Gourmet, and Rodizzio were all good. I would say that overall, the food is nothing to write home about.

Service: There are two types of service at this place. The wait-staff, and the people who handle the requests/deal with the problems. I will start by saying the wait-staff are some of the nicest people. They are trying their best to make your stay enjoyable. I tipped these folks a dollar here and a dollar there. After repeat service by a couple of them, it was fun to see them everyday and have the ones you knew help you out when possible. The other 'service' folks here are the one who have to deal with any sort of problem, issue, or request that you may have. These people seem to be directed by those who know that anything that needs fixing costs money. Money the resort is apparently unwilling to spend. So, if and when you request ANYTHING, you will get nothing but the run-around. It will take at least 3 attempts at asking before anything (if anything) gets done. Not my expectation at a 5 or 6 star resort, and this is the main reason I only gave this place a 3-star overall rating. They SAY they are here to make your stay enjoyable, but they will not ACT to make your stay enjoyable. Its all lip service.

Pros: Good beaches. Lots of room to spread out and relax. Lots of bars. Pool at each villa. Plenty of food, but not anything special.

Cons: You cannot reserve a particular villa. Tap water not drinkable. Lots of maintenance issues that never get resolved. Food is mediocre. Place is starting to look run down.

Room Tip: Good luck. You get what they give you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 679daved
Valliant
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Anyone who writes a review with negativity, is either abnormally picky or just cant be pleased. We toured this resort with no intention of buying into it, but was given an outstanding offer. I wont go into the ins and outs if membership, but we are platinum supreme members with all VIP access. Not cheap, but worth it. The rooms and villas are top notch. The quality of service has spoiled me and my family to the point that we will be worthless at work for a week or two. The food is exceptional on the most part, even the buffet items. I know one person spoke negatively of the buffet, but it sounds that real food isnt their cup of tea. It appears that security is sufficient to ensure acceptable safety during your stay. At no time did i feel unsafe at all. I will be recommending this resort to all of my friends.

In regards to the entertainment, the resort provides high quality vegas style shows with georgious ladies, and according to my wide and daughters, hunky flirty men. I really enjoy the shows as well as the after hours parties with dancing, music, and drinking. My wife particularly enjoyed the attention of a young dancer who went by the name John Cena. I would recommend that you brush up on your spanish, it just makes communicating easier.

• Stayed March 2013
MIRAMICHI
Reviewed March 4, 2013

this is my second trip to lifestyles in puerto plata.2 years ago I stayed in the presidential suites which was great.this time we stayed for a month and i had the v.i.p. package and stayed in the Crown Suites.The resort is very huge,so it was nice to get a golf cart.however the bars and restaurants are easily reachable by walking.I am not a picky eater,so there was something for me all the time,but not a lot of different food at the buffet.The a-la-cartes were fantastic.the azul was wonderful as were the Gourmet,Jazz and the mexican.I noticed in a review that someone did not like the mexican but for our party of 8 we all loved it.loved the tapas bar.in our suite we had what we joked about as our own private pool and bar.very quiet at this end.our bartender Zoila was great.we were treated very well and everyone was very friendly.the grounds were always clean.reception staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make everything right.the v.i.p.staff were very good.never forgot us the whole month we were there.Thank you to Morisay,Ryan,Ray and Carmen.If I forgot anyone ,not by choice.Everyone was great.manager's party a must for anyone that goes to this resort.food and entertainment second to none.
we were 4 in our 2 bedroom suite and it was great.lots of room and very nice.maid staff was also top notch.thank you mercedes.
we all had a fantastic time at this resot.
If anyone has any questions,I would be happy to try to answer them.This review is my opinion and others could be different.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank donarseneau
Largo, Maryland
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I visited the DR to celebrate a friends birthday, and I admit to preferrubg luxurious accomodations. The structural aspects of where we stayed were absolute okay. The room in the Confressi was very nice. Nice bathroom and nice tile work! No complaints at all. We had VIP access and I shutter to think about what the experience would have been without this level of access. The beaches are absolutely beautiful! Absolutely.

The level of service was questionable at best. I believe they generally tried. However, you will NOT mistake this for the Ritz.

The food, oh where do I start. I don't do buffets in the USA as I question food quality and cleanliness. I am a vegetarian eating minimal fish typically. However, if you are looking for veggies in their cuisine generally you will be just looking and never receiving. I would much have preferred to have paid for what I wanted!

Oh the drinks, sounds tasty right, all inclusive and this includes your alcohol. I am a casual drinker in the states and let me tell you they must have watered down the alcohol b/c you are forced to work really really hard to have even a little buzz. Amazing. Again I would rather have paid for my alcohol and gotten a quality drink.... Very frustrating actually. I did have sangria in the VIP tapas lounge and two drinks or so and I could feel the presence of alcholol, but they have limited hours and availability... The only other quality drink I had was on day 4 of 5 of my trip in which we had lunch at the ANJA LOUNGE, decent service and I ordered ONE drink a Capirhinha, and didn't get a second due to the presence of a nice amount of alcholol. One must also call attention to that this is in the same buidling as the main sales force for the resort. Where they are wining and dining you to get you to BUY. So not having watered down drinks in there makes sense, as it wouldn't be part of the DREAM they are selling. I get it.

Food --- We ate at the ANJA's lounge that once and the salmon burger was phenomenal. VIP gourmet, uhhhh love the lighted menu, but food just uhhhh acceptable. Much better than the buffet however, that doesn't take much. The breakfast -- generally the same food in all the locations --- sauteed (aka DR boiled) potatoes, eggs and rubbery waffles at best. Just not acceptable. So wishing for a real restaurant! The crepe spot at Serenity Beach was tasty, very slow service, but tasty nonetheless. Who knew a dessert crepe could be so fabulous!

Overall, I will never go back to the resort however, I will visit the DR again and look for luxury accomodations with awesome food and service ratings by others. I can say I read some of the reviews prior to going and made myself stop reading as I was already going to celebrate a bday and didn't want to cloud my mind with reviews for a place that was chosen already by the host so..... I rarely take the time to write a review but thought this would be a good place to start.

I won't say don't go, but I will say have very realistic expectations!

Room Tip: My room in Confressi tower was nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
The Crown Villas at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
The Residence Suites at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Been to Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!