Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Highland, New York
“Amazing time!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I went here for our first "tropical" trip. We loved every minute of it!! We read so many bad reviews before we left and were so scared... they were all wrong! We had no other tropical trips to compare to but we thought the water was blue enough. The resort had many activities throughout the day that we participated with like snorking, volleyball pool activities ect...We ate at six different restaurants and loved everything. It wasnt over crowded, which we liked. The staff was over the top nice and helpful to anything we wanted, with smiles on there faces the whole time. You could tell they are all happy at there jobs! We did not have vip bracelets, but the resort is huge so we could still go to most of the property and were fine with what they offered! We highly recommend this resort and only want to travel through lifesyles resort from now on!

Room Tip: residence suits has kitchens and was not as crowded with people tropical is where all the shows and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank erisu4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2012

After reading if you have any questions contact me, I have pictures, video and more info on my blog and website.

Once we landed we they were/are doing renovations on the airport so we had a little bit of a walk to get to customs, but once there it wasn't a long wait at all and then we went to baggage claim to get our luggage (which did take a little while). Then we handed another form in and looked for the Lifestyle guys with a sign that had our Family Name on it, he took our luggage to a resort shuttle and then sent us over to the limo for our comfortable ride to the resort (with the shuttle right behind us the whole time, ok maybe not the whole time they passed us at one point but then we passed them a few minutes later).

We have arrived at the resort, Christina (Lola) our rep. meet us as we opened the limo door, full of energy and hugs all around! She took us straight up the stairs to VIP Villa check-in (the luggage waited downstairs for us). We paid our Luxury All Inclusive fee and received our Black Bands said our hellos to everyone up there and met a new guy who was in-training, he was/is from NYC.
After the check-in was done shuttle took us and our luggage to our 4 Bedroom Villa (Villa 60) which was a very nice Villa except the 4th Bedroom was outside and down the stairs and we personally did not like this for our group of people, Christina made one call and had two other Villa options for us, one we could have moved the next morning (Wednesday morning) and the other option was for the Thursday morning move. We liked the second option so on Thursday we moved to Villa E31. My son wasted no time and was in the Villa's private pool within 5 minutes of walking into the Villa! Marilyn and Christina worked out our dinner reservations for the week, talked bout having the Chef cook us breakfast each morning and did a Villa check and ensured all of the beverages (Pop, Juice, bottled water, Red and White Wine, whiskey and Kaluha) we had asked for were in the Villa and ready for everyone to drink!! And the golf carts where brought to us, we requested 2 and we were given 2!!

That night we had dinner at Simply Gourmet; this is located on the main level by the Villa Check-in. Marilyn and I started with the Fried Green Tomatoes, and some of the others had the Shrimp Cocktail. We all enjoyed the appetizers but the shrimp eaters said they would have liked a couple more shrimp (which they got the next time). For dinner Marilyn and I both had the New Zealand Rack of Lamb and my son is a picky eater so they made him a filet Minion with no fancy sauces and French Fries! I can not remember what everyone else had, I think they had the Lobster dinner and the Surf and Turf dinner. Doug said the Lobster on his surf and turf was a little mushy. Marylin and I loved the lamb!! Desert was Rice Pudding (Marilyns Fav!!!) Cheesecake with Strawberry sauce on the side, Ice Cream between two pastry puffs and the Chocolate Mousse (the mousse was the serving size for a mouse, lol).

Now I wont go into too much details of what we did each day, as most of the time we checked out all of the different pools, beaches and different accommodations’ to make sure they were all as beautiful as the Villas. But I will list the highlights and where we ate dinner every night (yes food is a major part of my travel, lol)

Day 2:

We hopped on our golf carts and toured the whole resort and the new beaches and bars! It had only been 1 and ½ years since my last visit and they definitely put a lot work into keeping up improvements…gold star for that!!

Dinner that night was at Blue Lagoon, the restaurant is located near the Tropical Suites and every table has a view of the Ocean! This is the restaurant we had a reception dinner at in 2003 and it looks the same, which is great because they have definitely kept it up and clean, not worn down at all! As we finished dinner we noticed all of the wait staff walking towards our table with balloons and a cake with a candle (not a piece of cake, but a whole cake) they sat the cake down in front of our son and sang the longest Spanish Happy Birthday song EVER!!!

Turns out our amazing customer service rep Christina, remembered it was our sons birthday just before we came down there and she arranged this for him!

Day3:

Turns out we spent a little too much time in the sun the day before with not enough sun screen on so today we decided to check out the new Shareholders beach, Deja View Beach. What a great decision this was, we had a beach bed under a tree with three chairs and a table beside it right on the ocean!! This side of the resort the water is calmer and the breeze is incredible! We had lunch at this beach and I think it was the best lunch we had all week (the picture of the burger with sweet potato fries in a guitar shaped basket was from today). There is a lot exploring to do in this are as well, my son and husband spent most of the day in the water looking for fosil rocks, fish and so on…there is also a small cave at the south end of the beach.
Oh yeah today we also switched from Villa 60 to Villa E31!

Dinner that night was at Rodizio (the Brazilian restaurant), it was definitely a different experience, but a good one! You start off with drinks (of course) and then you are directed to a buffet style area to get your salads. After Salads you can go to the other buffet style area where you will get your sides, we opted to get a couple large plates and have them family style on the table. As soon as the waiter sees you are ready, he starts bringing on the BBQ’d meat! They came to the table with one type of meat on a large BBQ skewer at a time, and there are 6 different meats brought to you; Chicken, Pepper Steak, Sausage, Pork Ribs, Filet Minion and Turkey. Once you are ready to explode they will bring you grilled Pineapple for dessert.

All I can say is we all slept well that night, food coma) lol!

Day 4:

Toady we decided to use our free passes to Ocean World! We met the shuttle in front of the Tropical Reception at 10am and off we went! You have the option to purchase different types of interactions with the animals, like a dolphin swim or Sea Lion encounter; we opted out because we had done the SeaLion encounter last year…which was amazing by the way!

Today was the best day to go as it was not busy at all! We took our time and wondered all of the attractions, Birds, Stingrays’ and one of the best was the two Tigers they were both up and wondering their habitat, and also swimming!! They have a nice swim area in their habitat and you can swim in a pool that is divided from them by a large Plexiglas window (my son could have stayed there all day if I let him!). After that we went and saw the dolphins, which come right up to the side of their area so you can take amazing pictures of them. The boys went and swam in their coral reef and fish tank and then we made sure we caught every show!! The Dolphin show was my favorite, maybe because they picked my son out of the audience to pet and take a free picture with the Dolphin in the finale of the show :)

Dinner that night was at my favorite restaurant, Azul!! This restaurant is decorated in all white and has a great view of the mountain! The food was topnotch, amazing and would have cost us over $100 each plate if we were to eat at a restaurant like it back home!

Day 5:

RELAX day, lol!! This was another relaxing day…we did go to Harmony Beach for our new favorite snack, ice cream at the Sundae bar! The have a slab and let you pick your ice cream from approximately 16 flavours and mix in your toppings on a very cold slab (almost like Cold Stone or Marble Slab).

Dinner on day 5 was at Jazz, service was a little slow tonight but the food made up for it! And I have to say, my son is a picky eater but every night no matter the style of restaurant if he did like anything on the menu they made him spaghetti or steak!

Day 6:

DUNE BUGGY day!! Well this was an experience!! We left at 9am (I think) to meet the tour and off to the Dune Buggys we went! I’m not going to lie the Dune Buggies were a little shady and you can see them in out Videos, but OH MY G we had so much fun and got soooooo dirty!! My Husband and sons tire fell off, but they laughed it off and the guide got him a new buggy ASAP and on the way back my steering broke and Mom and I ended up in the sugar cane bush, but again we had so much fun and I think that the buggies where a little shady made it so much more fun! Note to all, if you do this bring a bandana to cover your nose and mouth or buy one from them, it was the best $5 I have ever spent!!

Dinner today was the VIP Welcome Party! And we were welcomed! What a great party they host for everyone, the food was amazing and the entertainment was great! The first “act” they gather EVERY child from the audience bring them on stage and have them sing and dance to 3 or 4 songs! See my little man up there was the highlight of my night! At the end of the show/dinner they finish up with a fireworks show (it started to rain so they cut the fireworks short this time but they were still great and you can see them from all over the resort).

Day 7:

Today we got our tour guide friend Jeff #1 (I can give you his info when you book your trip, he is amazing and very knowable) he took us first to the Puerto Plata hospital because my father in-law is on Dialysis now and can not travel unless there is somewhere to get his Dialysis while he is away. The Hospital had a new and very clean area for Dialysis (incase anyone needs to know). After that we drove down to the beach market in Sosua where we bought some souvenirs, if you have a picture of yourself or your children they have amazing paints that will make you an affordable but beautiful painting from your picture while you shop!

After that we head off to Cabarete for lunch on the beach, this is a great beach for paddle boarding and snorkeling. The restaurant we ate at is owned by a family from Quebec and they have poutine (even though I had Quesada instead). From there we headed back into Puerto Plata for some sight seeing and a little more shopping and then back to the hotel…just as it started to rain.

Tonight was one of our guests last night so we went to Azul again because he mentioned it was the best he had so far.

Day 8:

Swim day J we took our son to all of the pools to see which he liked best!! Then ended up again at Harmony Beach for lunch and of course the Sundae bar and then back to the pools! We also met up with our sales rep and he took us around to look at all of the different types of accommodations offered and I will say, they all look like they do in the pictures!!

After that back to the Villa we went we had to pack today too because unfortunately our trip ends tomorrow :(

Last dinner was back at Simply Gourmet (this is my Mother in-laws favorite) and did I mention that the menus are LED and light up when you open them? Pretty neat! Tonight my husband wanted to try something different (not seafood) so he had the Jerk rubbed steak, which they serve you on a hot rock! He said he was good and enjoyed the hot rock idea.

Day 9:

Today we go home L but we got to take the helicopter from the resort to the airport! I loved this and so did my son and husband…I think my mom did too, once she got over the fear and didn’t look down, LOL!

I have to say I honestly love this resort, I love that they are always making improvements and keep everything clean. I will definitely be back before the year is over; I am sure we will have new areas to discover then and we take more excursions and probably do the Dune Buggies again too J OHHHH I almost forgot, I heard that a major Cruise Line is paying to build a brand new port not too far from the resort, which means Puerto Plata tourism will only get bigger and better and that means this resort will only get bigger and better (if that’s possible, lol)!

Thanks for reading, I hope I wasn’t too long and I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know when you are ready to book you vacation here and if you have any questions.

- Kari
you can read more on my blog

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank karicorkum
Hants
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I was part of a party of six, three who had been here six years running and bought into the VIP gold bracelet level. This entitled us to a 4 bed villa, golf buggy, limo pick up and return, waiter service restaurants, branded drinks and serenity beach. The limo picked us up and delivered us to the resort with ease and comfort. The check in was smooth and quick and we were show to a beautiful 4 bed villa outside the security of the resort. On arrival we were pleased with the villa which had great views of the coast. The villa was in need of updating but was comfortable and clean. We had a pool boy who seemed to stay in the villa all afternoon and a maid who arrived very early in the morning and also stayed a long time!! Then in the early evening a security man arrived to sit right outside the front door all night!!! We found out from members of the staff that this villa had had serious problems of theft. On the second evening we had a man knock on the door selling cigars and then offering drugs for sale!!! The next day we went to customer services to tell them we need to be moved into a villa with in the resort for security reasons. The person we need to talk with was not here so we had to make an appointment to return later that day!! On return we spoke with another customer service manager who told us he could only move us to a 3 bed villa!!! We had to insist that this was not acceptable and that we were entitled to 4 bed what we had paid for!!!! After a lot of INSISTING that he put us in a safe environment and what we were intitled to, he found us a 4 bed villa within the resort!!! We had 1 hour to pack and move!!! The 2nd villa was again in need of updating but clean and comfy. The golf buggy we had seated 6 but kept breaking down in the first week they did fix it each time but this did take time out of our holiday!!!
We mainly stayed on serenity beach during the day. The beach is not the best as the sea was very murky and the sand area not the soft white sand you associate with other caribbean islands.
One day a dead cat was washed up! On our second week half the beach was closed due to maintenance so this made the beach area very crowded. The staff here were very friendly and quick to help. We tried most of the restaurants.The food varied from satisfactory to horrid. We picked the 8.30 sitting and we did have to queue at a couple of the theme restaurants!! The gardens around the resort are beautiful and very well maintained. On sunday evening they have a big bbq for all and show. After the second sunday bbq i fell very ill and had food poisoning. Four people in my party suffered with bad tummys through out our stay!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank deanie756
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2012

looked great on the website. sadly, it was not that great. food was disgusting. the customer service was inconsistent. the concierge was completely unable to do the job of a concierege - he couldn't book excursions, messed up our dinner reservations, couldn't book transportation and didn't have answers to common questions. Our villa had a non-stop parade of staff dropping by for this, that, and the other. One day we had 11 people make 19 visits: maids, pool boy, high-pressure upsalesman, beer delivery, etc. found out one night after a day of heat stroke, that there's no room service. decor was from the early 80s. full kitchen with no way to get food to cook. clogged toilet - never got plunger. power outage killed the A/C. giant insects, tons of mosquitos. the beach was cold and rocky - not the caribbean blue one imagines.

Room Tip: make sure you know EXACTLY what type of room you are getting. they have nice ones, but you may not g...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank MARNA H
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is a beautiful, but very large resort, on the north coast of the Dominican Republic. I just returned after a one week stay at LHVC with friends. I booked a one bedroom villa that sleeps 4, at the Royal Suites Villas, through Interval. When I arrived to this beautiful resort, I was taken to a hotel room despite booking a one bedroom with a full kitchen, large bathroom, living space, and dining area that included a balcony. I complained and was told to return to the check-in desk which was a 10 minute walk with all my luggage. It then took another 2 hrs to ck-in( original check-in was well over one hour). I was told they did not give me what I paid for because they were upgrading me to the newer area where all the action is. I asked for my paperwork back with my confirmation details. I was given back my paperwork which clearly stated a one bedroom at the Royal Suites villas. They kept insisting they upgraded me (despite extensive research I had done about the various rooms at LVHC). They were not happy with me and I kept returning to my confirmation paperwork. I also told them I wanted my quiet location I had booked, not where all the action was. They gave me my one bedroom villa, and we were assisted by a very polite young man. It was definitely what I had paid for!! It was a very stressful check-in after a long flight.

I feel it was wrong to try to give me a lesser room then what they paid for and tell me it was an upgrade. I have booked vacations through Interval many times and this has not happened, I also booked this months in advance. I feel it was the resort who was responsible for the above and not Interval. I will be making Interval aware of my experience.

After the initial couple days things were much better. The weather was great and many of the staff awesome, but there was a lot of inconsistency among the level of service by all staff. The pools, resort, and beaches are beautiful. The food will vary in quality as to whether you are a yellow, red, royal blue, gold, or black band. If you are a non member, book through a time share, VIP member, or share holder will dictate your level of service. This means different qualities of food, drink, and usage of beaches. It is almost like a cast system with the bands. Please do your research first and make sure you get what you paid for. The VIP restaurants offer good quality food and drinks as well as the VIP bars. All VIP areas offer excellent service, food and amazing drinks! Staying at Cofresi Palms is a downgrade, currently, no matter what they tell you. Yes, it is the newer area, but this does not mean the rooms are bigger or better. My Royal Suites Villa was awesome!

There is a lot available at the resort, but this is not communicated to you at check-in. Ask a lot of questions and know what is available. Our week was almost over before we knew what we were missing as far as evening parties and other activities. Book your evening meals well in advance or you will be closed out of the evening dining at the restaurants and have to go to the buffet where the food is average. Not all band colors are offered the good restaurants more than 1-2 x/week. Note not all timeshare members receive VIP status for booking. It is the LHVC members who purchase high level plans that are included in VIP or if they feel your timeshare is a 5 star resort??

Again, this is a beautiful resort with a lot to offer. I did have a rough start to my vacation, which in the end was wonderful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
17 Thank MARCIA077
Chatham, Ont
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Went to LHVC in mid February and must say we were NOT pleased; a long time planning for a 3 BR Villa had us all excited about going to a 5+ Star Resort (at least so it was indicated !!)

The Villa MIGHT have been a 3 Star but probably lower once we saw the bugs in the kitchen sink AND on the island counter; the sink in the half bath falling off the wall and the only tub (in the 3rd bedroom) something in which I would never have stepped. Mold, mildew, chipped tile, poor workmanship, electrical issues all compounded by the 3 different "safes" in the villa NONE of which worked !!

The service was poor at best (other than one particularly tenacious concierge who definitely tried very hard to get our problems rectified!!)

A demand to move to another villa was met with, you guessed it, "we are all booked up" - a further demand got us into Jr Suite (Pool, Ocean, Beach View) that was much better BUT still smelled of septic system overload (when you walked in the door of the room you were almost knocked over - needed to open the patio door and set the fan on high - oh yeah, the fan only had high speed !!)

Were able to get in the VIP Restaurants - food was "OK" but was nothing that you would write home to mom about; grouper was greasy; jambalaya (at the New Orlean's based JAZZ restaurant) was dry; Mexican restaurant was worst - food that was edible and wine that was not drinkable; asked for another wine and were told that was all they had (so had to go buy a bottle to get something decent!!)

Time share sales people very aggressive - heard lots of stories about people being kicked off the shuttle when they dared say they decided they were't interested!!

Dinner reservations were a joke - very little choice all because we chose to come mid-week; seems they do all the reservations Saturday and/or Sunday, so the people who arrive then have the choices and the rest, well.............

I must say the beaches were rather lovely - big palapas all over and lots of nice walking area on the beach; markets on the beach were fun to deal with; if not for the nice weather and the beach area, this long awaited vacation would have been absolutely abhorent.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
16 Thank chathammike
South Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed March 5, 2012

WE absolutely LOVE the LHVC - we have been there 3 times and each time we are amazed at the service and thrilled that we became VIP members. The VIP restaurants have improved with each of our visits and the food gets better all the time. We just returned from a week with a group of 10 and although our original villa was not what we had hoped for VIP services accomodated our party at an offsite villa which was indescribable! The shuttle service was wonderful and timely. I won't kid you, the golf cart situation is a nightmare but I was told that new ones have been ordered. As a VIP member you will have a golf cart at your disposal which is a must. The VIP beaches are also offer incredible service. Staying in a villa offered us a wonderful breakfast cooked each morning by our own chef and daily concierge service was everything we could have wished for! Add in transportation to/from the airport in a stretch limo or helicopter and you would never second guest a decision to become a VIP member! I love great service and attentive staff along with beautiful accomodations - all these things I have happily found at Lifestyles in Puerta Plata!

Room Tip: If you are 2 or 4 stay at Presidental suites if you have a large group go for a villa
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
The Crown Villas at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Presidential Suites - Punta Cana
The Residence Suites at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Been to Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!