“Amazing place for a restful vacation”
Review of SunCampDR

and 1 more site!
SunCampDR
Utrecht
“Amazing place for a restful vacation”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was here with friends for three weeks while we vacationed in the Dominican Republic. SuncampDR was an amazing place to stay. The people were very friendly and helpful and the nature around it is very nice. There is a nice bend in the river that flows by it, which forms a nice pool in which you can swim. It was a little hard to find because it is away from Puerto Plata and you have to pass some through some village to get there. We had rented a car so this was no problem afterwards. The city center of Puerto Plata is about a 15 minute drive away and the beach only 5-10 minutes depending on where you go. The apartments are very down to earth and simplistic but it was exactly what we were looking for. If something didn't work they would get right on it and fix it for us right away. Overall this is a great place to stay especially for the price. There is great nature all around and the people are very friendly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Leendert S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I wanted a place to volunteer and learn English. My family is not really into the resort thing, and wanted the opportunity to really see Dominican culture. This place was sooo perfect, we can't wait to go back!

The owner (Diane) and her son (Samuel) are so nice and welcoming! The atmosphere was extremely laid-back, which is a welcome change of pace from most other types of accommodations.

The Spanish teacher who gave us lessons was great! It was also fantastic to get to volunteer in the local batey -- the people are so wonderful. If you want a way to experience both, this is the place!

The fruit trees and river were wonderful. It was so great to get to hang out with everyone by the river in the evenings. We loved sitting out listening to the birds, watching lizards, or spoiling the dogs. We figured out the local transport and found it easy to navigate.

The place is very simple which is exactly what we wanted. We were able to truly relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: This depends on what you want -- the buildings closer to the river are more open-air. There are also...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Peaskis
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had amazing time here. The people are friendly and warm. The location is very peaceful. No cars and motor Conchos, loud music etc. The y have everything you could possibly require. Cool clean river to swim in. Great food in a open area so you can socialize with other guest if you wish. Quiet relaxing rooms at more than reasonable prices. I will definitely be back

Room Tip: All rooms are rustic, not for the all-inclusive crowd.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Slunt
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We wanted a more local and authentic experience during our travels in the DR and SunCamp provided it. From the eclectic people that stay here, to the location off the beaten path, to great home cooked meals in shared company with the other guests, dragging the owners dancing to the local 'club' (a room in a house with locals dancing - great fun!), the horseriding adventure and practising Spanish with the patient locals. It was the most basic of the accommodations we stayed in, so we expected some mishaps (tap for a shower, broken toilet...) but things got attended to when we asked with no fuss so we weren't perturbed. Loved it and would definitely return. (Just take a lot of repellant as the mozzies run rife near the river!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ExploringSoul
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2012

If you are adventurous, love the outdoors, love meeting people, making friends & are looking for a safe, affordable apartment or room, SUNCAMPDR is the place to be. The owner Diane & her son, Sam are some of the most people friendly,hospitable,warm, caring, giving, sharing persons that I have ever met during any of my many travel destinations.
Come & have fun in the Mountains of Munoz, Puerto Plata, DR.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable & affordable.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank nina826
Keene, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2012

From the time I arrived at the Puerto Plato airport and was met as prearranged at the airport I was able to feel that I was in a safe family like environment where it was possible to just relax . I had a quiet beer at the airport while I waited for another arrival with Sam the owners son. No hassle to get a taxi and figure out local currency right away. A later trip to town to buy food for my kitchen had me set up nicely. Despite Lonely Planet it usually takes me a while to get comfortable with costs of things in a new country and this was a gentle introduction.
The setting is beautiful, quite rural. The amenities are cottage like rather than luxurious but everything is there to be quite comfortable. The city and beaches are.very accessible by local taxi or moto-coche (a lot of fun if initially a bit scary). In a foreign country where you don't always understand the language it is reassuring that all the munoz drivers know Diane's place. For a few extra pesos they will take you right to her gate. I never was worried about my safety in a taxi or in the local town. There is an interesting local bar and hangout in Munoz itself and always chores to be done in the local bataye. If you are interested in helping out with labour or with a donation toward a local cause let Diane know as there is always something going on to try to help out. My quarters were open to the air and had no air conditioning but were quite comfortable during my stay.

Room Tip: Let the owner know your needs as the accommodations are varied and scattered over the hilly terrain...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Giggy70
Weiser, Idaho
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The happiest memories of my life is when I had an extended stay at SunCampDR. Lazy walks along a country road and to the river where I sat and meditated along its shore. I had a room next to that very river and was awakened with the sounds of it flowing by. The rooms and apartments are simple and affordable. I do not think a week goes by where I do not think about those children that I played with and grew to love in Munoz. It definetely changed my life and after spending time with them and their families, I am ever so grateful for the simple things in my life as to date. It was truly a joy to be with those kids. I dream of laying in my bed there listening to the sounds of the area! It is also a great location and close to what you need on your stay!

Room Tip: Pick one close to the river or up on the hill
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo