BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$99
BlueBay
  • Breakfast included
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$185
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $164/night.

Presidential Suites by Lifestyle(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$220
$164
  • Pool
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$190
$133
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$197
$179
  • Breakfast included
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$173
  • Pool
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$132
$93
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$631
$120
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop poolboutique hotelrecommend casadominican breakfastbeautiful small hotelwe ordered room serviceocean frontdominican republicthird floornicest hotelplaya doradarooms are largeour honeymoongoatjunior suiteall inclusive hotelgolf cart
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I was quite surprised at how much I loved the hotel and hotel room. It was clean, spacious, and beautiful. The cut out wall next to the bed, which allowed a view of the ample sized tub, was my favorite. (The only thing I was not fond of was the firm bed. I am used to a super plush style.)

We had an ocean view room on the third floor and I spent a lot of time lounging on our balcony looking at the beach and listening to the rolling tide.

The staff was exceptional. Offering a smile, a hello, and a 'may I help you" every time we passed. There were so many of them. Far more than the few guests who were also staying there at the time we were. I'd be surprised if there were 10 rooms full during our stay. (We only saw adults at the hotel. Everyone seeming to prefer their quiet privacy.)

The food was exceptional. We had breakfast downstairs the first day and both the eggs ad the plantain served with it were quite good. The second day, we were not as hungry and ordered a continental breakfast in our room. The fruit plate was ridiculously good! With the bread basket, jams, honey, fresh juice, and coffee, this became our breakfast of choice. We lunched on the pool deck a few times and our favorites were the goat stew and the creole jambalaya. The flan was good, too. But my favorite food was the wonderful high end restaurant downstairs. She had a lobster meal, which was very rich. I had the deer osso bucco, which was superb.

We hired a driver through the hotel and he drove us around one day wherever we requested. We felt safe and attended to at all times. He was friendly and capable and drove us to Puerto Plata town and Sosua beach, which we requested. When the day was over, we asked to go to a local Dominican restaurant, and he took us to EXACTLY what we were hoping for. Our day ended up being about the same price as it would have been for the two of us to take the Puerto Plata city tour, but with much more flexibilty.

We also enjoyed a couples massage and the sauna and a nice double shower at the spa.

All in all, this was a wonderful trip and a classy hotel, I am not sure I would have changed a thing, other than add some cush to the bed.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Casa Colonial over the Xmas holiday week. We were looking for a quiet and relaxing few days away in the sun, and since we didn't bring our kids with us, we were hoping for an "adults only" atmosphere. That is what we had read and inferred about Casa Colonial from Frommers and Trip Advisor.

We were disappointed to find lots of kids between the ages of 2-12 running around the hotel and making lots of noise. I guess that is what we should have expected during the holiday week, but we were surprised.

Regardless, the grounds are great at the hotel and the rooms terrific. The rooms are spacious, clean, with large bathrooms, sitting areas, nice TVs...similar or better to a Ritz and better than a Westin. The turndown service and cleaning folks doing a great job. The hotel itself, since it is a boutique, lives up to its billing - unique architecture, stylish feel, nicely groomed grounds. The beach, however, is only so so. Don't expect beautiful white sand beaches and pristine water. It is brown sand and the water is a bit dirty, so it is not picturesque. That said, the beach attendants set up very comfortable lounge chairs, they have many umbrellas and it is a great and relaxing time at the beach. There is a also a very nice rooftop pool area with a bar and small restaurant attached. While it looks great, the area is small and so it is crowded during the busy season and if you weren't there early, forget about getting seats. Plus, with little kids running around and playing in the pool, it wasn't relaxing, so much better to be at the beach.

The fancy restaurant on location Lucia gets rave reviews, but we found it to be 7 out of 10. Definitely not 5 star quality like people discuss, and it is likely 20% overpriced (but what hotel restaurant isn't?) The fish was good (especially the sea bass) but the service left a lot to be desired. There were tons of service people around but they were poorly coordinated, so you had several people coming up and asking for your order, to pour drinks, etc... We were surprised by this. The decor of the place is great and the food was solid. Just not a reason to come to this hotel for a week.

There is a second restaurant Veranda with an Italian only menu for dinner, but it is limited to maybe 10 options (vs. Lucia with ~30 options ranging from fish to pasta and meat). The food here was fine, but the plus is the location! It is on a patio outside overlooking the water and is quite nice. We ate here for breakfast and lunch each day, and once for dinner, but didn't love the dinner so stuck with Lucia. The breakfast and lunch options are more robust and are worthwhile, but expensive. Be sure to have breakfast included in your room rate if possible.

We did not spend any time outside of the hotel in Playa Dorado, but it seemed like a safe and easy place to walk around and enjoy. The hotel offers free golf cart service to the local casinos, restaurants and mall if you want to go. The location is fine, but nothing to really explore or write home about.

The spa is good and worth going to. We had nice massages.

Overall, we had a relaxing and nice stay, but will not return here. We didn't think the service, food, or beach were great and would prefer to try a westin or ritz elsewhere.

4  Thank bostonianinNYC
Reviewed January 11, 2010

My family( husband,wife&2boys -20&10yrs)has traveled all over Europe and Caribbean Our first time to DR. I must admit I was a bit afraid after I booked people told me how dangerous and slummy DR was. Travelers opinions and expectations really make me wonder. Our trip was amazing and life changing we were vacationing here over Christmas & New Years. Puerto Plata is a place for people who want to go off the beaten path and experience the real taste and see the true authentic culture of DR.Casa Colonial exceed our expectations.The size of the rooms and bathrooms was awesome.We also loved turn down service every night because we would generally do a excursion or day trip in the morning, return to room late in afternoon or early evening , take a nap, get up and go out for late dinner 8-9:30pm, and go exploring dance the meringage or bacheta. It was great to return to a clean room fresh made bed with chocolate and cookies YUM .We always stay in boutique hotels because of the quality of rooms and and the knowledgeable staff.Casa Colonial did not disappoint I received amazing spa services. Isreal-the conceirge was extraordinary He recommended excellent excursions and restaurants.Maria- Aquabar staff was amazing, It was lovely to have breakfast every morning by the pool,( what view off the beach.Loved the coconut almond brioche french toast.)If you are fans of Anthony Bourdain and his style of travel, as we are, then this is a vacation for you. Recommendations:restaurants beakfast/lunch AquaBar dinner Lucia 5 star (lobster crepes,sushi,duck fogrie OMG) Restaurant Aleph Extraordinary probably the best fine dining restaurant on island. Restaurant Al fresco excellent sushi and Italian can walk or driven by golf cart by hotel staff
Excursions: 27 waterfalls -hired driver Felix toured city Puerto Plata,cable car ATV what fun but dirty great bonus went to deserted beach and stopped at a small local casita(had great rum,great cigars and empanadas 50cents US WOW) Speed boat trip to paradise island go on youtube see video footage Amazing snokerling Catamaran to Sosua unbelieveable beauty We LOVED the hippy bohemian Town of Cabarette Hired Felix again Spent the whole day there Yes the peddlers were constantly trying to sell the things but I dont mind anyone trying to make a living just said no gracias bought great jewelry and sexy beach clothes in cute boutiques on the strip, must eat at Casita y Papy (The grilled lobster papy style is something I will dream about for the rest of my life)Dominicans dine slow like europeans enjoyed looking at all the young beautiful kitesurfers great beach. We had a great time in DR yes there is poverty here I think some people think because you are poor that you must be a criminal or dangerous what a shame. It has been my experience that the biggest crooks are usually in expensive suits. The Dominican people are happy and friendly as they should be , they live in paradise.I loved showing my kids where true beauty and riches are found in ones soul Thanks DR for reminding us that it is not what we posses that matters but how we live that counts.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank wavewatcherfromny
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I have been to many of highest end hotels in the world. I can tell you that this hotel has no business charging what it does. The service is absolutely terrible, possibly the worst service I have ever encountered at a hotel. Addtionally, be very careful of the quoted price you recieve; we booked a room for 379.00 dollars a night and confirmed that rate upon checking in. On our way out of the hotel in a rush to catch out flight, the bill says 472.00 dollars a night. When I question the receptionist he says that I am mistken and that it is 379.00 as confirmed, and that I calculated the exchange rate incorectly. I am a financial professional but decide that I would give the receptionist the benefit of the doubt and it check the rate five more times. The price is still 472.00. After questioning the receptionist again he says that ihe additional 100 dollars a night is from the 25% hotel tax that I was not made aware of upon checkout. After going back and forth for about an hour, we just leave and they bill me 472.00 a night. For that price i could have stayed at many much nicer hotels or gone to much nicer places. In summation I highly recomend that you do not stay at this hotel.

14  Thank bbblipy
VHHR, General Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2010

We at Casa Colonial Beach and Spa are very surprised to read this review. The issue of service was a complete surprise as we had been pleased to provide to this particular guest, as a courtesy, at no additional charge, twice daily private consultations regarding special menu requirements. Our restaurant then, as a courtesy, and at no additional cost, provided special meals to this guest. These were handled personally by our Executive Chef, who spoke with the spouse/partner just prior to checkout. When our chef inquired about their overall satisfaction, he was cheerfully told they enjoyed the hotel very much and was given an extra large gratuity in thanks. Hardly an indication of a guest who feels they had “horrible service”. We would, therefore, have to infer that the issue had little to do with service, and much to do with the issue that the guest did not expect to pay taxes and fees.

With regard to taxes and fees, we should explain that we have many hotel marketing partners who all clearly communicate that there is a government mandated hotel tax and service fee. This particular booking was with one of the large multisite search companies, who do not explicitly state or include tax or service, but do clearly indicate that they “may apply”. It is rare that there is any confusion over this point as, typically, our well traveled patrons are fully accustomed to the fact that many, if not most, hotels, in almost every country in the world are required by one form of government or another to charge taxes and/or fees. We can only state our deep regret that the guest in question believes that the after tax price of $472 a night during Christmas week at a five star luxury resort on the beach is an excessive price.

The Management

Reviewed December 26, 2009

We opted for the VIP pick-up for $160 and after a 12 hour trip, a nice welcome to feel we were in good hands and whisked off to a comfortable bus and short ride from POP airport to the hotel.
Highlights:
- Concierge Israel and staff (Edwin, Cosme, Maria, Yudelka and top nothch doormen) - always there to help. I read some reviews about nonchalance or language issues and I must say we did not experience that at all. Excellent service.
- Hotel decor - elegant, modern, extremely tasteful
- We had read that the beach was just ok, but in fact we thought it was quite nice (save for the many peddlers who come up constantly and offer their wares)
- Tip: call Nicholas the taxi driver who wil take you everywhere, wait for you and be there at your service to keep you safe. He was fabulous and feels now like a friend of the family: Telephone: +8097590858
- Food: Excellent breakfasts and lunch (fish tacos) but Lucia restaurant not so exciting.
Overall review : excellent hotel well worth its 5 star rating

1  Thank lyxgolf