“SURPASSED MY EXPECTATIONS!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“SURPASSED MY EXPECTATIONS!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We read all the reviews for all the local Puerto Plata and surrounding area hotels. Luckily I picked this hotel. After spending a full week at this wonderful place, I'm sure there is no place that competes with this one. We arrived in Puerto Plata and rented a car. It took us about 15 minutes to get to the hotel and when we arrived, we were amazed that we found it! There were no signs to the hotel at all. We had to keep asking. Even the entrance was tucked in and no visible sign to let us know we had arrived. This made us feel very special and private. The hotel entrance is very upscale with the bell men dressed in white and hats. They were all very professional and helped us in anyway possible to get us settled with our luggage. After entering, they offered us whatever we wanted to drink. They showed us to our suite and we were in love!! Our room overlooked the ocean and the lagoon. It had 3 balconies that were all different. One even had a bathtub outside. My husband really enjoy this because the rest of us were hogging the bathroom. The shower was about 6X6. It was a remarkable room and we have stayed in the best of the best. Linens were changed every day and the bed, although hard, very comfortable. The service was unbeatable and we enjoyed the food on the premises very much! Compares to top NY exclusive restaurants. We ate in the hotel every morning down by the beach and loved the choices. The eggs benedict was very good with ham, salmon or anyway you wanted it. The waiters were very accommodating in anything we wanted. Every part of this hotel was 5 star. They really go out of their way to make it right. I had a problem with something on the bill and they removed it right away with no problem! I'm going to go back to Puerto Plata to be at this hotel again. Very easy flight and easy to get to. We felt like it was home. Even though it was a quiet smaller place, the kids really loved it as much as we did. It was close to a go cart park where the kids had a ball for the day. It is also very close to Puerto Plata town where other restaurants are and the cable ride up the mountain is. Caberete is only about 30-40 min drive where the best wind surfing is. We looked in Caberete but didn't find anything this nice there so we didn't mind the drive. This hotel is rather small for a resort but let me tell you, you won't be sorry you went there. It lives big. You will fall in love with it. We all had spa services multiple times and it is very nice. Small but nice. If I had to try to come up with something wrong, I would say that I wish the bar had more legroom when you sit at the bar. That is THE only thing. There are very comfortable lounge sofas and wing chairs though. I recommend this place highly! You will get a nice laid back experience that will surpass your own expectations. Thank you Casa Colonial for everything you did for me and my family.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel with a professional, polite staff who aspire to cater to your every need. The facility is beautiful with an oceanfront breakfast patio with both a continental buffet and menu items included in your room charge. The 3rd floor pool area bar food was outstanding; try the tiritas and the lime shrimp with linguini-our two favorite meals while we were there. The private beach is daily cleaned and is beautiful. The "all inclusive" resort to the north had a beach that was packed with people and beach chairs. The Casa's beach was very private and with beach chairs always open for us to use. Having a small number of rooms makes all of the hotel's amenities accessible for those of us lucky enough to stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room; marble floors throughout the hotel rooms are quite unless someone is sl...
1 Thank Lon98004
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can't say enough nice things about Casa Colonial... what a treat it was to stay here. My boyfriend and I were looking for a tranquil, quiet place to spend a few days away from our hectic lives, and this was the perfect choice.

From the moment we walked into the lobby and were greeted by the resort staff, we could not have felt more welcomed or more at home. Throughout our stay, the friendly staff made every effort to accommodate us by answering questions, making spa and restaurant reservations and even arranging transportation to the airport. Everyone from the concierge to the housekeepers was friendly and courteous, and seemed to care deeply about our experience.

For example: I once left my sunglasses by the pool at the end of the day, and - instead of just throwing them into a lost and found - the pool bar manager figured out what room I was in, and left them with the concierge so that I could retrieve them at my convenience. Now THAT is service.

Just as importantly... the place itself. It's designed beautifully... refined and casual yet sophisticated, and very clean and modern without feeling stuffy or cold. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the bathrooms are practically a spa unto themselves.

And the rooftop pool, with its Infinity pool, sleek wooden furniture and four small hot-tubs, is the kind of place you see in a magazine and say, "Sometime in my life, I'd love to visit someplace like that."

The grounds are gorgeous, as well... lush, manicured and clean, and with enough tropical plant-life to remind you that you are far from home. And the Bagua spa is as nice as any spa I've visited in the States...

The service at meals can be a bit slow, but - if you're using your visit to Casa Colonial as an opportunity to take a break from life - just enjoy the opportunity to sit around for a bit and know that you've made a wise decision.

1 Thank andrew p
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went here for President's Day weekend with my wife and 20 month old son. The property is very nice and has a modern feel to it. The rooms are clean and simple. Our beachfront room was perfect for easy access to the beach with the little one. The beach is a lot less crowded than some of the surrounding properties and the staff is very friendly. The drink/food service on the beach is pretty lacking, but the place is so small its not that big of an inconvience to simply walk over to the bar or pool top restaurant. The pool and spa are both very nice. The food at the "fancy" restaurant we honestly found to be a bit disappointing and left the property for dinner 2 of the 3 nights, but for breakfast and lunch the food is just fine. All in all a very nice trip and good weekend getaway. I would recommend it.

3 Thank scott g
Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Gorgeous, spacious and clean rooms. Select one that overlooks the sea. Staff attentive, smiling, and gracious. Enjoyed the thatch umbrellas with chaise lounges and even table and chairs on the beach. Guests spread out so enjoyed the serenity. Excellent lunches at the roof top bar and also on the beach. Breakfasts plentiful and delicious. A place designed for relaxation.

Room Tip: Junior suite ocean view.
1 Thank TravelerEstesPark
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I wanted a quiet relaxing elegant hotel, this was perfect. I was orginally going to go alone which would have been fine, my daughter came with me and it was perfect. Refined great for a quick get away. Long weekend or a week or two.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our first trip to DC. We read many reviews on Trip Advisor before booking to give us an idea of what to expect. We had a third floor oceanfront Junior Suite. The rooms, spa, pool, food and service were all spectacular. We booked a package that included breakfast, spa treatments and one dinner on the beach which was amazing. The spa is outstanding. All of the food was very good - our favorites were their breakfast smoothies, fish tacos (lunch), arugula with steak salad (lunch), pumpkin soup (dinner), tuna tartare (dinner), dark chocolate with ice cream (desert).

I felt like the prices for food, spa, etc. were very reasonable relative to other high-end hotels/resorts we have stayed at. The pool is elevated on the third floor overlooking the beach which was neat. We also enjoyed how natural the beach and surrounding area was. There were many large fig trees and other plants right on the beach which was different from typical beach spots. This is definitely a small, boutique hotel which is exactly what we were looking for to get away. Very quiet - we spent hours at the pool sometimes as the only couple there.

A local did tell us that their rain season goes through January so I would likely go in February to avoid that. It poured rain most of our first full day. The rooms and bed are comfortable enough that we had no problem catching up on sleep and spending some time in the spa during this day.

I give this place high marks and would absolutely consider going back.

Room Tip: A third floor room is on the same level as the pool which was nice and convenient.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing Casa Colonial for your vacation and for sharing your favorite meals, I am sure future guests will appreciate the tips! Our team appreciates receiving your kind feedback, and looks forward to welcoming you back very soon. We agree that Casa Colonial provides a good value, and if you have not already done so, please sign up for our newsletter on casacolonialhotel.com, which provides terrific offers for future getaways.