“Great Place to Relax”

Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Providence, Rhode Island
“Great Place to Relax”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for. Set off from the all inclusives, the food at the hotel was great. Breakfast- eggs benedict- amazing. Lunch was always just ok for us. Dinner at Lucia- highly recommend gnochi, chilean sea bass, lamb chops. Everyone is extremely pleasant and helpful. The beach section in front of casa colonial is nice, but the water is not that great, a little seaweedy, if you would like to swim you should walk to the left for about .5 miles. Slept great the entire trip.

1 Thank gahanoian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Czech first
MD - USA
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Sunday I returned from my first trip to PP and Casa Colonial. I have traveled extensively in the DR and MX but typically (not always) go all inclusive. I was on this trip with 3 business associates but I consider them all friends as well.

Our entire trip was booked through the resort other than air. They did a great job and handled everything very well. Our transportation was flawless and the driver was always there before us. 2 of us took a red eye and arrived at the hotel at 5am. We had guaranteed early check in and our rooms were ready. I appreciated the service but I thought for the money we spent there they should not have charged us for this. The rooms were empty anyway.

We all had ocean view Jr suites. They were well decorated and very clean. They were large and had nice views as well as comfortable and stylish décor. They had an older Bose system which you always came back to playing. They would burn incense as well. Maid service was at least twice daily but may have been more. The ice bucket in my room was always full. The only improvement I would suggest is a TV upgrade. They were older models but ok. The bed and linens were fantastic. I slept so well.

The beach area was kept perfectly and they tended to any desire. They set up and moved chairs for people and brought and laid out towels. It was very pretty. The sand is darker than some places but was fine. It did get hot. It also did not look so nice when the waves broke it on shore but the water was clean and beautiful. The view from the beach was amazing. When I read the reviews of people selling on the beach I never imagined how many people it really was. It go annoying. There are some that are pushy and some that are very load. It takes something away from an otherwise serine place. I don’t mind the walkers but there are a lot. If the sellers were quiet and not pushy I would not mind them either. 2 of our 4 days we ate and drank on the beach. Service was very good and fast. The food was very good for beach food.

Breakfast was served at the beach restaurant as well. Service was good and fast and the food tasted good. We has to leave early and wanted to eat before we went. They open at 7 and we needed to leave at 7:30. That day had a continental breakfast buffet. They opened late and were focused exclusively on the buffet. It was your only choice to eat early and unfortunately I did not get offered a drink until it was time to go. The continental is European style which is not my favorite but so be it. I think if we had come at 7:30 like the day before everything would have been fine.

I only went to the pool once at the end of my last day and I regretted that. It was better than the pictures. The bartenders up there were kind and fun. The area was beautiful. The pool was cold but the hot tubs were hot. With a breeze a cold pool can be tough. I loved the whole area and the service.

The highlight of this resort is without question the main restaurant. The food was fantastic. The menu has a lot of fusion and some ingredients made me not want things. As I tried them I found it was all so subtle it did not matter. I entertain in fine dining establishments 2 – 3 nights a week and I eat in many with my family as well. We ate here 3 nights in a row and had no desire to look elsewhere. The restaurant could make it in any major city and be hard to get a table. Great service and amazing food. That alone would have made me love this place. We fished one day and got mahi-mahi and wahoo and they cooked it for us to perfection.

Nowhere in this resort is ever crowded. They were far from full occupancy but they were not empty either. It is a very romantic spot for a couple. There were a couple of families there but I would not take mine. I just think that they would be bored. It is so quiet and I assumed it would be adults only. The children would not deter me but I doubt mine would have fun here.

As much as I loved the resort I did think it was overpriced. I would not spend that much personally to stay there. I would go back again in a heartbeat under the same circumstances. If I was going to take my wife somewhere I would try to get more for my money (rates are available on the web site). If you are comfortable with the cost I highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Northern VA
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed in a junior suite with a lanai in mid March 2011. Paying the extra for a suite is not needed for only two people. Recommend requesting a junior suite/suite away from the walkway to the beach when making reservations.

Room
-King size bed was very comfortable (firm), pillows were very soft (not firm).
-There is one bathroom in a junior suite.
-Television is a tube about 35 inches big in an entertainment center.
-A mini bar is provided in each junior suite/suite.
-Master bathroom has shower and tub with separate toilet area with lots of cabinet space. The bathtub is large enough for two adults.
-There is an exhaust fan in the bathroom.
-220V and 110V outlets are present in the bathroom.
-A safe is provided in each room in the cedar lined closet.
-Power to the air conditioning, fan and outlets are controlled by a card unit that will shut everything down when the card is pulled out of the slot. Housekeeping removed the card after leaving our junior suite hence shutting the AC and fan off to save energy. It can be surprising walking into a warm room, expecting a cool room, after being in the sun for hours.
-The air conditioning controls are in Celsius.
-There is a ceiling fan in each junior suite/suite.
-There is ample closet space for hanging clothing and folding items.
-A hair dryer, ironing board and iron are provided in each junior suite.
-The drapery on the patio doors is doubled sided and does a good job of blocking out light in the evenings.
-The walls between junior suites are not soundproof. We heard various noises in other junior suites
-The maid services did an excellent job every day and were cleaning rooms before 9AM. They were very cognizant of the “Privacy” and “Service” door hangers.
-Towels are changed whenever placed in the bathtub.
-Beddings are changed when a recycling/save water note request is placed on the bed.

Reception
The concierge was great and very responsive to requests. They were happy to talk about and book excursions and make dinner
reservations. Since all bills are in Dominican dollars, the concierge was happy to provide the current exchange rate.

Pool Area
There is a medium sized pool on the third floor of the mail building containing suites. The pool water is chilly but not very cold. There are roughly 20 chairs/loungers to relax in and a sun balcony with tables and chairs. Also there are hot tubs near the edge of the building with views of the ocean.

Acqua Restaurant/Pool Bar(open 10:30AM – 6:00PM)
Great views of the beach from the tables with a thorough menu ranging from appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and main courses. The Caesar salad, fish tacos and eggplant, zucchini with cheese are very good. We never got tired of the food choices in a week timeframe. All mixed drinks and beers are available.

Lucia(opens at 6:30PM)
Great restaurant. Recommend making reservations for dinners. Offered 13 main courses in addition to appetizers, salads, and deserts on the menu. The food and service were great. Some food selections include special salads, seafood paella, Kobe beef, Angus beef, chicken marsala, mushroom risotto, duck with foie gras, mahi mahi, salmon, lobster, various pastas, rack of lamb, ceviche. A photo of the main courses on the Lucia menu is attached. Prices are a steal for the quality of the food. Prices are reasonable for upscale restaurants in the area and cheap compared to comparable restaurants in larger cities in the U.S. and Europe (Washington DC, New York City, London). Example: the Kobe beef meal was $55.00 U.S. dollars

Gym(located on the second floor)
There are a set of free weights, three treadmills, three step machines, a few bicycle machines, and various universal machines. The gym is small but effective. Water bottles and towels are provided.

Room Service
Room Service can be ordered with no additional charge. All meals at Lucia can be ordered via room service.

Bagua Spa(located on the second floor, closes at 5:00PM)
We had two deep tissue massages. The therapists were thorough and had very strong fingers. The locker rooms for men and women were small but efficient. Robes and slippers are provided. Recommend scheduling services before 4:00PM as the therapists seem to be in a hurry to close the spa at 5:00PM in order to reach transportation to leave the area.

Beach
-There are roughly ten sets of reclining chairs and umbrellas on the Casa Colonial area of the beach. There are more available, but they are not set up.
-There is a shaded area on the beach near the resort. There are also tables and chairs in areas shaded by trees.
-There is a building on the beach with bathrooms. Also, there is a bathroom near the Veranda restaurant.
-Towels are provided on the beach when you pick out a chair and the beach attendant sets up your chairs.
-The resort beach areas around the Casa Colonial beach area belong to the Victoria and Barcelo resorts. These other resort beach areas are packed full of people on plastic chairs with some palapas. You will get some gawkers and some looks when laying out in the Casa Colonial beach area as there are a lot less sets of chairs and umbrellas and you have beach service for drinks, food, etc… We had a couple staying at the Victoria resort come up to us and ask us about the Casa Colonial beach area and tell us that people at the Victoria resort said the Casa Colonial was “ritzy”. Take what you want from that comment, but it is nice to not be packed close to other people on the beach.
-Lunch can be served at tables and chairs on the beach(in the shade) from Veranda.
-Playa Dorado does not have large waves and is usually pretty calm water and is great for families and kids.
-There is a lot of seaweed in the ocean. A seaweed tractor does daily cleanings, but a few hours later, the beach has seaweed again.
-We saw stray dogs on Playa Dorado. They were all well behaved and not a problem.
-You will be approached by various vendors on the beach selling t-shirts, hats, bags, jewelry, rum, cigars, cigarettes, hair braiding, mani/pedicures etc… A stern “no thank you” usually worked for us. There are also some timeshare salespeople wandering the beach that do not give up as easy. There are also vendors on the beach selling other activities including jet ski, sea kayak, wind surfing, banana boat, snorkeling excursions, fishing excursions, boating excursions, horseback riding. Again a stern “no thank you” usually worked for us. Reminder that you can book any activities/excursions you are interested in through the concierge.
-Three catamarans are anchored offshore in the area and usually leave by 9:00AM and return around 3:00PM each day for excursions. A main pickup/drop off point for the small boats that go to/from the catamarans is in front of the Barcelo resort next to the Casa Colonial beach area.

Puerto Plata Airport
Recommend arriving at least two hours early before departure. The lines at airline check in can get long.
An immigration form has to be filled out before entering the country. There is also a $10.00 U.S. dollar charge for an entry card to enter the country which is paid before entering the country. Customs and immigration forms are required to filled out before exiting the country. No fee was paid to exit the country.

There are various vendors selling trinkets before going through security and customs and a duty free shop after passing customs. There are three eating areas and two bars upstairs in the gate area after clearing customs. The pricing of the food and alcohol at the eating restaurants and bar at the gate area are much higher than outside of the airport. Example cheeseburger, fries, canned drink for $12.00 U.S. dollars.

Notes
In addition to the suite charges charged to a hold at check in there is also a charge of $150.00 U.S. Dollars per night for expected expenses
All bills at restaurants, bars, and spa on the property can be charged to the suite you are staying in.
All bills are in Dominican dollars. There is not a U.S. dollar converted amount on bills.
There is a 16.00% government charge and a 10.00% service fee on all bills.

2 Thank buffgray
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Not enough good things could be said about this establishment and its staff. The food was top notch for every meal with excellent service.

It's hard to imagine a more immaculate tropical setting. The grounds are gorgeous.

My wife and I were touched by the sincere friendliness of people like Miguel at the front door and Master Ardenys, Professors Franciso, Santiago and Augustin at The Veranda restaurant and Kennedy at the pool bar. Their professionalism and courtesy everyday made it easy to remember their names.

Thank you all for a wonderful week.

Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Casa Colonial is a beautiful and stylish property, with lovely grounds and a terrific beachfront location. The rooms are very attractive and comfortable, the hotel restaurants are excellent with lots of variety, the spa is really beautiful, and the staff is extremely gracious, pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Casa Colonial is a beautiful gem of a resort tucked in amid the larger, all-inclusives on Playa Dorado. But it is nothing like those large properties. Small and intimate, luxurious, and with a friendly and attentive staff, it is the perfect place to unwind and relax. The rooms are spacious and well-furnished, the pool is delightful with a million-dollar view, and the beach is just what a tropical beach should be (even if there are many vendors, they are not excessively persistent or obnoxious.) The spa is delightful, and the food is inventive and delicious.

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Reviewed March 13, 2011

very good. Small details w food (mise en place, more restraint w spice and sauce) but would stay here again if in puerto plata!

• Stayed March 2011