Liked - All Inclusive drinks; poolside/beachside service at VIP areas
Disliked - Sales sharks, indifferent and rude employees, restrictions for non/pseudo-VIP vacationers
Upon our arrival, they had our two rooms in 2 separate buildings, but corrected that right away and check-in went smoothly. The rooms are very tired looking and decor is dated and in need of a major overhaul (floors appeared dirty but it was cracked tiles). It took 3 requests over 2 days for them to replace a burned out light bulb in the bathroom. I don't think they've ever made any improvements to the property since it was built. Thank goodness the AC worked and they kept the mini fridge stocked. At least the beds and linens were clean. The hotel and resort is definitely a budget property. We had adjacent rooms and they were furnished slightly differently...resembling eclectic, garage sale furniture finds. They do have beautiful condos, villas and residences there which are generally newer, better maintained VIP properties and a big step up - and they WILL try to sell you and show you all the great bennies so get ready for a LONG 3-hour presentation and tour.
The service is very spotty. We had some people who were really helpful and friendly and others that would try to avoid eye contact as much as possible. We got a huge runaround our first morning with our prepaid arrangements - wasting 3 hours of our day for nothing. You will learn about Dominican time really quickly as nothing gets taken care of with any speed.
Good luck getting dinner reservations. The woman normally at the desk is like the reservation nazi and is not very helpful as there were NEVER reservations available. We were there 7 days and never got to eat at the seafood restaurant. Luckily, we were helped by another woman one day and she was able to get us into the Mexican, Asian and Italian restaurants before we left. Good thing because the buffet gets tiresome. They try to provide a variety of foods, but it all tastes the same. Beware of the sweets/dessert table as there not only fruit flies buzzing about but also fearless birds that will try to sneak in a snack.
The property is very large and has nice amenities though many are reserved for their paid VIP members who zip about the community in golf carts. Unfortunately, unless you are a VIP member, you are restricted to certain areas adjacent to the hotel. The hotel does have a semi-private beach walking distance to Ocean World and is generally quiet during the week and good for kids. Their main pool had many activities, music and a swim up bar if you like that sort of thing. I saw them clean the pools each day but they were still dirty and gross with all the people that jump in and out of them or maybe the pool filters are not functioning. We had access to 2 VIP areas (through a Cheap Carribean promo) which made things a little more bearable but unless you are a paid VIP member or a 21-year old fast-tracking to be an alcoholic, I'd look for another property!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, TravelUp, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach