“You get what you pay for: 1980's Motel 6 rooms and spotty service.”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Irvine, CA
“You get what you pay for: 1980's Motel 6 rooms and spotty service.”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Liked - All Inclusive drinks; poolside/beachside service at VIP areas
Disliked - Sales sharks, indifferent and rude employees, restrictions for non/pseudo-VIP vacationers

Upon our arrival, they had our two rooms in 2 separate buildings, but corrected that right away and check-in went smoothly. The rooms are very tired looking and decor is dated and in need of a major overhaul (floors appeared dirty but it was cracked tiles). It took 3 requests over 2 days for them to replace a burned out light bulb in the bathroom. I don't think they've ever made any improvements to the property since it was built. Thank goodness the AC worked and they kept the mini fridge stocked. At least the beds and linens were clean. The hotel and resort is definitely a budget property. We had adjacent rooms and they were furnished slightly differently...resembling eclectic, garage sale furniture finds. They do have beautiful condos, villas and residences there which are generally newer, better maintained VIP properties and a big step up - and they WILL try to sell you and show you all the great bennies so get ready for a LONG 3-hour presentation and tour.

The service is very spotty. We had some people who were really helpful and friendly and others that would try to avoid eye contact as much as possible. We got a huge runaround our first morning with our prepaid arrangements - wasting 3 hours of our day for nothing. You will learn about Dominican time really quickly as nothing gets taken care of with any speed.

Good luck getting dinner reservations. The woman normally at the desk is like the reservation nazi and is not very helpful as there were NEVER reservations available. We were there 7 days and never got to eat at the seafood restaurant. Luckily, we were helped by another woman one day and she was able to get us into the Mexican, Asian and Italian restaurants before we left. Good thing because the buffet gets tiresome. They try to provide a variety of foods, but it all tastes the same. Beware of the sweets/dessert table as there not only fruit flies buzzing about but also fearless birds that will try to sneak in a snack.

The property is very large and has nice amenities though many are reserved for their paid VIP members who zip about the community in golf carts. Unfortunately, unless you are a VIP member, you are restricted to certain areas adjacent to the hotel. The hotel does have a semi-private beach walking distance to Ocean World and is generally quiet during the week and good for kids. Their main pool had many activities, music and a swim up bar if you like that sort of thing. I saw them clean the pools each day but they were still dirty and gross with all the people that jump in and out of them or maybe the pool filters are not functioning. We had access to 2 VIP areas (through a Cheap Carribean promo) which made things a little more bearable but unless you are a paid VIP member or a 21-year old fast-tracking to be an alcoholic, I'd look for another property!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank TigrMama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,024)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed August 29, 2010

MOST of the employees provided excellent service. 5 STARS TO THE STAFF

THIS PLACE IS ATTEMPTING TO SELL YOU A "VIP" VACATION CLUB MEMBERSHIP - BRING YOUR CREDIT CARD IF YOU WANT A GOLD ARM BAND & A GOLF CART! LOL!

The sales guys grab you immediately following the 9:30 am orientation. Oops! Now you missed breakfast. The continental breakfast, if you are lucky enough to find anything there, is a joke. Not to worry, lunch starts "AROUND" 12:37 pm. lol

Oh, if you think you're going on vacation and escaping a schedule to follow, think again. Even the VIP beach and the pool open and close at specific times. Sound like cattle being herded? Moooooo!

In the evenings you can not get to the main restaurant or the lobby without being bombarded by guys selling the same stuff at a higher price that you can find in the gift shop.

I ate at all locations except Indochine and the offerings were often not fresh, juices watered down at breakfast and most of the food was was just poor quality. One restaurant closed an hour early, because they ran out of food. These issues were the norm not the exception. I arrived Friday night and by Monday I heard so many complaints of stomach upset including my own, I decided it was safer to eat street vendor food in town or at one of the restaurants in the area. No joke!

The rooms were comfortable, but the power was turned off every afternoon. Good thing the A/C recovered quickly.

They exterminated for bugs and I had to sleep with the sliding door open all night because of the odor.

Loved the kind and generous people that worked at Lifestyle and in the area, but I will never stay at this resort again.

The Sunday night VIP Party was a lot of fun!

TO BE FAIR, I HAVE GIVEN YOU SOME OF THE GOOD AND SOME OF THE BAD...BUT YOU WILL NEVER CATCH ME THERE AGAIN.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank SlightlySouthern
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My family and I traveled her a couple months ago. It was me (23 years old), my boyfriend, my brother (21), my mother, and my aunt. We all needed a getaway and you couldn't beat the price for this resort! We stayed in a beautiful 3-bedroom villa (I will attach pictures). We booked from someone online that owns a timeshare at Lifestyles and rents out rooms throughout the year (pleasure to work with and we got everything we were told we would). We had a personal golf cart to drive around the resort. If you don't have a golf cart, you have to walk or call the shuttle to give you a ride. There are different color wristbands at the resor that allow you to certain areas. The highest is gold: a timeshare OWNER (they have access to EVERYTHING), blue (which we were) is a guest of an owner. We got access to everything except the newly opened Serenity BeacH (exlcusive to gold bracelets). Which was fine, the VIP beach was wonderful! There are a couple other colors that I saw, but I dont know their exact rating. I think only one color was not allowed on the VIP beach, but pay the little extra and you will be more than happy. It was a great deal to begin with. We got the villa for $900 for the week!! Then, you paid all to be all-inclusive and your airfare...cant be it for a tropical vacation.

BEACH: Bed are awesome! So comfortable. Some have covers and some dont...depending on your prefernce. We went down in the AM to reserve a bed, but during the week we were there, you didn't have to. There werent that many people and there were also beds. Water was warm and clear. The last day it started to get a little rocky, bu other than that, no complaints!

FOOD: I was nervosu when reading reveiews before going. Everyone had something to say about the food, the beach, etc. We all LOVED the food. We ate at the gourmet resturant, the chinese (Indochine), and the Blue Lagoon (steak and seafood). The reservation system is messed up though. They say to call in the AM before the day you want to go. We did that the first 2days and there were NO OPENINGS! So, when you get there, CALL FIRST and book all the reservation you can that day. Two of our guests were leaving early and didnt get a chance to eat a specialty restaurant. But, we couldnt complain at the buffet. Great breakfast and dinner. (We usually ate lunch on the beachor skipped it). There was a different theme every night at the buffet. No one got sick...great fresh fruit!!! Drinks were amazing! They have a bar menu, but will make anything. I had a drink similiar to a Mojito...very good! As well as their Pina Coladas and Bahama Mamitas

STAFF: Everyone we encountered was very kind. There was one simple speaker issue in the villa that we asked ot get fixed and it took a couple days, but they finally came. Very accomodating.

SUNDAY WELCOME PARTY: Awesome time!! Every sunday they have a big party with a live jazz player and all the food you can eat located by the new beach. The entertainment was great and we really enjoyed ourselves here. They put on a great show.

EXCURSIONS: We checked out the excursion center, but the only one we did was Ocean World. Other than that, we were more than happy to relax on the beach. Ocean World was GREAT! We had free admission to the park (sharks, fish, birds, dolphin show, coral reef) and free lunch. We paid for the dolphin encounter which was an amazing experience. The woman in the excursion center was very informative and she'll tell you about any of the different excursions. (paradise island, city tour, quading, waterfalls, etc).

VILLA: This was probably the best part of the trip. Nothing beats having your own house! Kitchen, Living room, dining room, 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, your own pool with attached hot tub. They kept the fridge stocked everyday with beer (Presidente), soda, water, and fresh orange and pineapple juice. A maid came to clean everyday and COOK YOU BREAKFAST! We were in villa #66 and it was amazing. I also read reveiwws about old, run down villas, but there was nothing wrong with ours or the surrouding villas.

WEATHER: when we were there, it rained every day around 7pm for about 15 minutes and that was it.

There was a resort pool that we didnt even use because of our pool at the villa. They had water sports/activites everyday. There is also a VIP pool area. Diving Center (snorkel gear, kayaks). There is an amphitheatre that does shows every night. We went one night and it was pretty humerous. There is a VIP sports bar..they serve certain food, and have popcorn and nachos at all time. TVs all over, friendly staff. Couple little shops in the resort. Vendors come in a couple times a week. Ease to and from the airport. Computers you can use in the lobbies (each area has their own lobby...regualr hotel rooms, suites, villas, etc).

I think that's everything I can elaborate on. I would definitely suggest this resort for a relaxing vacation with no strain on your wallet. I've been to Punta Cana and Puerto Plata and I would go back to both places. If you want to pay more to go to Punta Cana, it might be a little nicer, but I have nothing bad to say about this resort. We had a great time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank meganx115
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I booked this through cheapcarribean.com. It was a cheap booking - about $860 for 6 days (out of boston). I would not recommend it.

We come for the beach and the water. Right - doesn't everyone? Do you get the beach and the water? Not really. The hotel closed the beach access at 7 PM. They will try and stop you from exiting to the beach after that. If you ignore them like we did then you can walk past them - there is no barrier. After 8PM the security at the beach are even more obnoxious. So fine, you say why argue with the hotel staff - they're just uncooperative anyway - I'll just use the pool after 7PM. No - you can't use the pool after 7PM too. It's closed. Why? Because they have to clean it (so they said). Ok I might accept that, but I went to the members only pool and it was open till all hours of the night. You can't get in to the members only pool because you don't have the right bracelet. This hotel is insane to expect guests to put up with no water access after 7PM. I would never come back to this hotel again!!! I came to relax on the beach and the pool and be in the water. They could work around this so that at least one pool is open at all times, but they don't care to do this for non members. Remove your bracelet carefully and say you had to take it off because you were doing water sports - might work for at least a little while and you would get better access.

Rooms: Some rooms the AC doesn't work well - if you like your room on the hot side, then ok, but I don't. They can't fix the AC - don't even try wasting your time - it will just tie you up and you'll never get anything done by the staff at this hotel. Some of the doors in the room didn't work well - the main entrance to the room was stuck - so you always had to throw your body into it just to open the door. The sliders to the outside balcony didn't work - you had to literally push your weight into the slider to get it to open and close. The hotel is just not well maintained. They won't fix it - so if you complain be prepared to waste away vacation time.

Also if you booked two rooms on the same reservation - forget about it. The hotel only reserved one room and they have to find another room for the other person. Will the room be close? Maybe if you are lucky - because the hotel doesn't have any open rooms nearby. Don't even try to waste time with the staff on this one. Just another uncooperative adventure awaits you.

Bracelets: You have to wear a wrist bracelet - and of course the one you get from a cheapcarribean booking is the worst privileges. It's just not fun to wear this while on vacation. I'd say take it off, but you do get asked for it sometimes. Who cares they'll just give you another one and you can go around for at least most of the day without it.

About food. You have to try and book restaurants for your entire stay when you get there. Aside from the main buffet there is only restaurant available to you on any given night. And if you didn't make a reservation at least 3 days in advance, chances are you aren't getting in. You'll be eating at the buffet in the middle of the resort. That food is edible, but it certainly isn't great food.

About bars: The bar by the main pool is open the most. It's very difficult to get a drink. The guys aren't racist - like I just read in another review. They are just overbooked to service everyone. And if a big group comes all at once you can wait 15 minutes just to get to the front of the bar to order. They service both the pool and the regular counter. It's understaffed and it's a pain to wait. The other bars down by the beach are ok when they're open. The blue parrot and the bedside bars are usually staffed well enough to get a drink easily.

Getting around the hotel:
I'd recommend hanging out at the beds down by the beach. They are a good place to hang - near the beach - fairly comfortable - some have drapes (of a sort) so you don't have to get too much sun. All the access paths to anything you want to get to is circular - there is no direct route to the bar or the beach - you always are walking in semi-circles looping around a pool or a bar or something - it's kind of weird. You also have to drag your bags down when you leave; I would have preferred they come get them - it's over 90 degrees and you're dragging your bags through their maze while in your travel clothes - you'll be sweating!

Watch you stuff here - unfortunately I had a small amount of cash and some nice electronics stolen by the pool. I think it was the staff, but I'm not sure. It's like any place - you can't leave anything around.

Meeting: So you have to meet with cheapcarribean / Turinter when you arrive - the next day. But we didn't. It's just a marketing meeting. They were upset we didn't come (boo hoo). You won't lose your return reservation - nothing bad happens, other than they are upset you didn't come. Turinter gives you a packet when you arrive including your pickup time. So you already have all the info you need without attending the BS meeting.

Location/Beach: You're out on the end of the town. There is NOTHING except ocean world near you. Sosua beach is the place to be. This hotel is on confresi beach. There are large pebbles just as you're entering the water. Then there are large rocks when you get about 5 feet depth. There are a couple better spots on the beach: one area just near the red float outside the hotel and another area to the right of the hotel (near Wal Mart - the Wal Mart sign that the locals have) are a little better, but not much better. I scoped the entire beach - it's not great. There is a lot of plant life in the water and a ton on the bottom. Wear your beach shoes here. Or better yet I would recommend another beach and another hotel.

I didn't have any issues with cheapcarribean other than they don't tell you enough details about this hotel: They should have told us the pools/beach are closed at 7 and that there is only one restaurant open to reservations per night. You get the impression from the website that there are 5 restaurants open and you can choose - well you can't.

If the cheapcarribean website was accurate about how this place operated I never would have booked it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
10 Thank personallyme
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I booked this package last minute through cheapcaribbean. It was a 7day all inclusive package with flight for just under USD1800 (for two incl taxes).

Cheapcaribbean rant: We were most disappointed by the service by cheapcaribbean. We already read about the timeshare sales staff and made sure we told them from the beginning we were not interested so we weren't bothered by them at all. However, when it came to tour booking we found that although agents were standing side by side, they were all charging different prices for the same tours!! We booked a Paradise Island tour which we were charged USD85pp for...another couple from the same resort was charged USD75pp. When I spoke to others on the tour I found out that there were charged USD45pp...the Paradise Island tour was NOT worth even USD40!!! There's at least a two hour journey, followed by a 20 minute speed boat trip to get to the island which was only really good for snorkelling (which you can do at other tours).

Tour Rave: We also did an Outback Safari Tour which incl drinks all day and a beautiful local lunch....the tour took us through the sugar cane fields then to a fresh water river for a dip and finally boogie boarding at a secluded beach. We also visited a local school and had a peak of what a typical dominican home would look like. I would recommend this tour to everyone! It costs USD79 but the resort will charge you USD84. I actually hired our guide to take us into the city to buy some larimar (the stalls at the resort in the evenings are a ripoff...however the resort shop we discovered (too late!) had a pretty decent deal and you can still bargain with them. The local "mercado" in Puerto Plata sells larimar for a great price. A silver ring could start at USD20..I bought a necklace for USD20 as well.

Food: We usually ate at the buffet as you have to book the restaurants at least a day in advance (book them all the day you arrive!). We managed to get a booking at the Mexican place and the Asian place. Don't get the steak at the Mexican place it was horrible. I'm Asian so the Asian food was just ok for me but I'm sure it would be great for anyone else....it did have great atmosphere tho! We also managed to sweet-talk our way into getting a table at Blue Lagoon which is the best restaurant. Be aware the portions are much smaller, especially when you have gotten used to the buffet. We didn't know but you can order more than one appetizer which I recommend (try the crab cakes).

Entertainment: The resort does shows pretty much every night at the amphitheatre by the VIP club. Once you've seen one show you've seen them all - trust me. Unless it's the Michael Jackson tribute show which was very entertaining!! They also did a poolside show on the Tuesday night we were there and I heard they did one on the Monday night too...make sure that you check it out because although repetitive it was worth watching. The resort does a huge party on Sunday night which is definitely worth going to! The "disco" however was totally lame.

Wristbands: The resort makes you wear wristbands so that staff can determine what "level" of services are open to you. We wore white cheapcarribean bands which were supposedly VIP. But we only had access to one of the VIP beaches (spent almost everyday there - food was crap tho)...however we did notice that it didn't matter what wristbands you had, the barstaff were racist!! Unless you are white or a pretty girl be prepared to wait! The service got worse as we progressively got darker as we tanned. This was most disappointing!

Finally DON'T BUY INTERNET MINUTES OR A PHONE CARD!!!! The internet and wifi hardly ever worked!! You are better off walking down the beach and finding wifi and a neighboring hotel bar and using your mobile phone than a phone card. USD20 only buys you 22 minutes and you are still charged USD1 everytime you use the card!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mystesa
Hoboken
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Having never been to the Dominican Republic, but having visited many other Caribbean islands, I was a little hesitant at first to book the trip to Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa in the Dominican Republic. But after seeing the price I figured even a mediocre experience would be worth it. However, almost everything at Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa exceeded my expectations. From the food and drinks to the activities and accommodations, there was nothing to complain about. It was Easter week and the place was not too crowded, either. If you want an inexpensive, relaxing vacation, Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa is definitely a good bet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank millertime83
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I recently returned from a girls trip to Puerto Plata, DR and the Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort. I went with my best friend since we both wanted to go on vacation on a very tight budget since I will be moving in September :(

I have experienced all different types of resorts from the highest quality of food, service, entertainment, etc...to OK quality so I am not a picky person when it comes to vacations. Just get me out of NY and I am happy :)

My friend and I booked this trip on Cheap Carribean.com and we received an amazing deal $800 per person with flight, all-inclusive food, drinks, and tips, and access to the VIP Beach and 2 VIP parties on Thursday and Sunday.

This was a spectacular deal and was well worth the money we spent. Below are my comments regarding individual areas of my trip that I felt I should review.

VIP

Ok so about the VIP situation at this resort. What Cheap Carribean or the hotel does not tell you is that there are 3 levels of VIP membership. Lifestyle's is a vacation club and most of the people who stay at this resort are members of the club. There are 3 levels of VIP which doesn't really concern us (normal people who are not members) but it does affect us in the following ways:

1. Blackout days for restaurants which VIP members can only dine at.
2. Poor transporation...The resort is huge and if you want to get anywhere aside from the pool, beach, buffet, asian, and seafood restaurants you need to wait for a van to hopefully come. My friend and I were misinformed about when we should be in the lobby to take a shuttle to the Thursday night VIP party at Ocean World park. The front desk told us 9:15 (we found out later from an Ocean World rep. that we should have gotten the 8pm shuttle). We arrived on time and waited a good 20 minutes. We asked a passerby if they knew when the shuttle was coming they said to wait near VIP world (where the Disco is). We waited there and there was a wild dog that kept following us. Luckily I saw a resort van pass by they said they didn't want to take us and we offered a tip if they would take us so they did. We missed about 30 minutes of the Vegas Style show which was actually amazing. Luckily we saw some of it. In addition, we went on a day trip to Ocean World was promised transportation back at 5pm. We waited 45 minutes and luckily someone from reception was able to help us since they saw us standing there so long sweating bullets! Just please be aware that if you want to go anyware be prepared to wait. We do not get golf cards like the VIPs do. Many times I would feel like an NIP (Non important person when it came to transportation).
3. There are 2 beachs we can not access. We can access VIP Beach which is amazing! It offiers top shelf drinks, food, beautiful and plentiful cabanas, and jacuzzis to cool off in...honestly if I didnt have access to this beach it would not be worth the money.

There are 5 options to choose from. Buffet - Breakfast Lunch and Dinner (No reservation required) Italian, Asian, Mexican, and Seafood (Require reservation the day before to dine at these establishments). The Buffet was actually very good...Many options for breakfast and when we were there they had Dominican Night for Dinner and they had a pig roast that was delicious! The fried rice at lunch was also awesome. Asian was OK. It was edible lol. I did not try Mexican or Italian since Sunday was the VIP Welcome party which had the best food! Lobster, Steak, Pasta, Everything! This party also had live music, a DJ, and Dancing and is located on Serenity Beach (Beach we can not go to normally). The food at the VIP Beach was great as well (The wings are the best!).

Italian was by far the worst. Food was disgusting. I actually got ill and vomitted and other things all night long!

Pool

The pool was great! Pedro is the man to see at the pool bar he definitely will hook you up. They also have a great pool party on Tuesday nights with BBQ, drinks, and entertainment. I also enjoyed the water aerobics :)

Hotel Service

The best service was received at the Pool, VIP Beach, Restaurants, Ocean World, and the City Tour I went on which I highly recommend! When we arrived at my room the Safe and the Phone were broken. They took 2 days to fix both which really is nonsense since they are the 2 most important parts of the room aside from the bathroom and of course the mini bar. The shower does not have a curtain and the floor would get soaked. They were stingy on towels as well as mini bar items. They only stocked our mini bar twice! My friend asked the guy who was prepping the bags to replenish the mini bars with and he wouldnt give her water! The timeshare people also are annoying. Ignore them. We got sucked into their gimmick. They will say they have a welcome gift when in reality they want you to join the vacation club. They do give you a bottle of Mamajuana which we couldn't bring on the plane because it wasn't sealed with rum.

Night Life

Not much of a night life here. There is a disco but drinks are not included. The night we went a whole group of Brittans were celebrating their last night and the guys were in Tutus and the girls in skimpy neon dresses and were dancing all funky. Perhaps it was just a bad night. From talking to other guests LiteHouse at Ocean World is good. Also if you are bored and have the munchies at 3am the seafood restaurant is open for snack and booze lol. Good wings again but horrible drink making skills at this place.

Excursions

Definitely do the City Tour well worth the money. For $50 you get Lunch, you get to ride the cable car up the mountain to see the botanical gardens, admission to the amber museum, Puerto Plata Military fort, Cathedral, Shopping, Jewelry Factory, Cigar Factory, Rum Factory, and much more!

Ocean World is also a must! $55 gets you access to the Sea Lion Show, Dolphin Show, Bird Show, Shark Show, Snorkling, Swimming (btw there are 2 bengal tigers that you get to swim next too!), and various other exhibits. The food was also inexpensive and delicious!

Overall this resort was a great value and you pretty much get what you pay for. I would return again if I could purchase a week from a club member so I can eat at the 4 other restaurants and go to the VIP areas. My friend and I had a great vacation that we definitely will remember for a long time! Hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends