I would go back to the resort because of the price not because it was the best place I have ever stayed. My one bit of advice is to rent a villa through one of the owners. For only a little more you get sooooooo much more. I don't think I would have been very impressed if we were staying at the hotel.
Having the benefit of the VIP areas ( and yes I think all resort guests should have the same benefits) really helped make the stay. We had a three bedroom, three and a half bath villa with a private pool and breakfast prepared for us each day. I think our cost for four people was only about $900 each. That included room, food and airfare. What a great deal.
We were not one of the lucky to have a cart but my husband and I and my two boys ages 7 and 10 did not mind walking. You need some exercise to burn off the calories. There were tiles missing in the pool but it was kept clean by maintenance everyday and was great for the boys to swim in so my husband and I could take our time to get ready in the morning. We brought dollar store floats and some dive sticks for entertainment. My husband did go save chairs at the main entertainment pool, fun for the kids. There was water polo and basketball and volleyball. There are ping pong tables and pool tables. Lots to do. The main pool is a little loud from 11:00 to 12:00 but then was quieter until 3:00 when they do the chocolate dance. By the end of the week my kids were getting up to do it too!!. We met some very nice people during our visit.
The resort is dated but they seem to be trying to do some upkeep. We had no problem with the food. The VIP restaurant was great and the sushi bar by the VIP Beach was also top notch. If you are not able to have that then the fish at the blue lagoon was very good and pizza and pasta at the italian was nice for lunch and dinner. The buffet had some good food and a pasta station and good salads. I couldn't imagine not being able to find something for everyone. One of the main differences is the liquor at the regular bars is bottom stock. The VIP bars have Jose Cuervo, Absolute, Baccardi and better wine. If that matters to you than think about it. The pina coladas and daquiris are made fresh in a blender, at the resort bar its the slushy machine. The beer is the same everywhere, Presidente and it is quite good.
We went to Ocean World, it is expensive but we enjoyed it very much. We did the dolphin encounter as opposed to the swim and it seemed just as good for less money.
The beaches here are not the best they are smaller, but the water is clear and warm and ejoyable to swim in. We borrowed boogie boards at the water sports shack and also went kayaking, the boys played the small nine hole course nearby (complimentary greens fees but you must pay for the caddy and cart, cash) It was a fine course for them to play and they had a great time.
All in all we had a great time and felt we got a lot for the movey.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach