“Had a great time!! Would go back because of the price”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed May 8, 2007

I would go back to the resort because of the price not because it was the best place I have ever stayed. My one bit of advice is to rent a villa through one of the owners. For only a little more you get sooooooo much more. I don't think I would have been very impressed if we were staying at the hotel.

Having the benefit of the VIP areas ( and yes I think all resort guests should have the same benefits) really helped make the stay. We had a three bedroom, three and a half bath villa with a private pool and breakfast prepared for us each day. I think our cost for four people was only about $900 each. That included room, food and airfare. What a great deal.

We were not one of the lucky to have a cart but my husband and I and my two boys ages 7 and 10 did not mind walking. You need some exercise to burn off the calories. There were tiles missing in the pool but it was kept clean by maintenance everyday and was great for the boys to swim in so my husband and I could take our time to get ready in the morning. We brought dollar store floats and some dive sticks for entertainment. My husband did go save chairs at the main entertainment pool, fun for the kids. There was water polo and basketball and volleyball. There are ping pong tables and pool tables. Lots to do. The main pool is a little loud from 11:00 to 12:00 but then was quieter until 3:00 when they do the chocolate dance. By the end of the week my kids were getting up to do it too!!. We met some very nice people during our visit.

The resort is dated but they seem to be trying to do some upkeep. We had no problem with the food. The VIP restaurant was great and the sushi bar by the VIP Beach was also top notch. If you are not able to have that then the fish at the blue lagoon was very good and pizza and pasta at the italian was nice for lunch and dinner. The buffet had some good food and a pasta station and good salads. I couldn't imagine not being able to find something for everyone. One of the main differences is the liquor at the regular bars is bottom stock. The VIP bars have Jose Cuervo, Absolute, Baccardi and better wine. If that matters to you than think about it. The pina coladas and daquiris are made fresh in a blender, at the resort bar its the slushy machine. The beer is the same everywhere, Presidente and it is quite good.

We went to Ocean World, it is expensive but we enjoyed it very much. We did the dolphin encounter as opposed to the swim and it seemed just as good for less money.

The beaches here are not the best they are smaller, but the water is clear and warm and ejoyable to swim in. We borrowed boogie boards at the water sports shack and also went kayaking, the boys played the small nine hole course nearby (complimentary greens fees but you must pay for the caddy and cart, cash) It was a fine course for them to play and they had a great time.

All in all we had a great time and felt we got a lot for the movey.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank mcgNewJersey
Write a ReviewReviews (4,878)

Reviewed May 6, 2007

When we decided to book into a 'value' priced hotel we didn't know what to expect. What a wonderful surprise to see such a pretty property with the ocean at your door steep.Food was great and abundant.Plenty of loungechairs, and very clean pools.The staff was wonderful.Lots of activities for kids and adults.Rooms were a little used but not bad for the money.Again the staff was awsome and the trip worth every penny. Recommend flying into Puerto Plata not Santiago

Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank FrederickMdtravelguy
Reviewed May 3, 2007

You'll get out of this resort vacation, what you put into it. We quickly met those that are doing all of this complaining, and trust us, they must live this way every day. We spent fro 4/18 to 4/25 here and enjoyed every moment and felt that we got entirely what we paid for....nothing more....nothing less. Our trip here was meant to be an inexpensive trip, to a moderately priced resort, to relax. And that we did. There's no controlling the weather....only the attitudes. We were embarrassed by the behavior of many of the American guests as they complained about every little thing from not being able to get 2nd room keys to finding centipedes in their rooms....PS....all the rooms have balconies or terraces, you're in the tropics and those little creatures look for shelter occasionally.....are your homes critter free year round?And when they did not get what they wanted, they threatened with poor reviews. We tipped a few dollars a day to our maid and had a fully stocked refrig each day, a cleaned room and bath. The bathrooms are "European" style for those who obviously aren't aware of this style. Very boutiquish and not a problem....for non complainers.
Rooms are basic and basically furnished, and frankly, if you're spending too much time in your room...why are you there? The buffet food was GOOD. Not great, not bad....but more than acceptable. They did their best to try to have something for everyone. There were often regional dishes to try, as I did, that were very tasty. Yet we constantly heard Americans complain that they wanted food they were use to.....then why where you in a foreign land. Get out!....travel more...food doesn't taste the same everywhere. From Northern US to Southern US there's a world of regional differences. Why not expect the same in another country. Yes, were there things to complain about if you were inclined....sure. But that wasn't why we were here...and there were many more enjoyable things. The pools were great, the service at the morning buffet....MARIA....was wonderful. They appreciated the small acknowledgements and offered much attention. We found this with all that we were nice to....and hey....that seemed to be the difference between those of us that were having a good time and those who were not. We treated the staff....from the maid to the concierge, like we like to be treated and in every case...it paid off.
If you need a cheap, relaxing vacation with not a lot of thrills....it's fine. If you want champagne on a beer pocketbook....go somewhere else and leave these poor people alone. They deserve better.

8  Thank msdon2
Reviewed May 2, 2007

There's been a lot of bad reviews of the Lifestyle lately, and I feel like I need to give some balance to the recent reviews!

We booked our trip through CheapCaribbean like so many others, and in the end, we felt like we got what we paid for...this is not a five star resort, so if you don't go in expecting that, you will have a wonderful time. And at such a low price, we had no complaints!
The room was clean, had a beautiful view, and was perfectly adequate. The shower doesn't have a door, but we never had problems with flooding...just throw a towel down, problem solved.
One word of advice...if you tip the maid on the first day, you will be more likely to get good service, clean towels, and beer and water in your fridge.
And bring plenty of cash with you, because the ATM was out of service the whole time we were there.

The grounds are BEAUTIFUL. There are several pools to choose from...we loved the one by building five because it was away from the entertainment booth and pool bar, so it was quieter. The pools are a good temperature, and if you get out before 10 am you can get a chair under an umbrella.
The beach was nice too, but a little small.

The buffet food was so so. I am picky about meat especially, but there was always the pasta bar, and a good variety of potatoes, fruit, vegetables and bread to choose from.
I did get tired of the food by the end of our six day stay. You can always try the hamburgers, chicken fingers, fried fish etc at the Blue Lagoon for lunch, which makes a nice change.
We loved the ala carte restaurants, especially the Italian. We never had a problem getting a reservation.

We had fun hanging out at the pool bar after dinner, but it is definitely quiet at night...the bars close at midnight, and the nightly entertainment is just so so.
Some of the other hotel guests went to the Ocean World casino next door and said they had fun.

The VIP salesmen were annoying, and my poor boyfriend was suckered into listening to them before he even knew what was happening. Just say not and keep walking and they'll eventually leave you alone.
The vendors that set up outside the buffet restaurant a few nights during the week were VERY obnoxious. I wouldn't recommend even trying to browse through what they have. They won't leave you alone.

Ocean World was fabulous....we did the Dolphin swim, LOVED it, and loved the shark show as well.

Overall, we had a GREAT time. The staff was helpful, and yes, it took them awhile to respond to our requests, but they were always friendly about it!
It is a beautiful place to visit, and when you're sitting by the pool with a beer in hand, there's no reason not to have a good time!

8  Thank DCgirl12
Reviewed April 30, 2007

Originally I was booked to stay at the SunVillage Hotel in the Dominican Republic for six days. I received a call from my travel agency telling me that the hotel over-booked and would I be willing to stay one night at the Hacienda-Lifestyles hotel for one night and would have all inclusive use of both hotels for my entire stay because of the inconvienence. Of course I said yes.
What a nightmare that turned out to be. My first night at the Hacienda-LifeStyle and in this beautiful country went well. My friends and I settled in to have a great time. The next day we were transferred to the SunVillage Hotel, which went ok, of course the accomodations were better to say the least. Again my friends and I settled in to have a great time. We now had a choice to use either of the hotels, for eating, swimming and gift shopping. To get to the point, on day three, my friends and I decided to go gift shopping at the Hacienda-Lifestyles hotel, well, we were greeted with such with such hostility. The person who approached (an employee of the hotel) begin to ask us where were we coming from and told us we could not use any of the facilties of this hotel and go back to SunVillage where we came from. Numerous times we TRIED to explain that our travel agency representitive is at SunVillage and would explain why we were able to have use of both hotels. The front-desk clerks begin to yell and scream at us that we were to hand over our arm-bands immediately and begin to come after us with scissors. I have never in my 48 years been treated with such DISRESPECT AND ANGER in all my life. It was a total OUTRAGE the way my friends and I was treated.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank plumpaula
Reviewed April 29, 2007

DO NOT STAY AT THE LIFESTYLE RESORT! First off, the bathroom flooded everytime someone took a shower because there are no shower doors or anything to stop the water. So then we had to use our bath towels to clean the mess which did not do the job and then we couldn't get new towels; I must have tried for hours to get new towels. They kept telling me they'll be right there. They did not change the sheets the entire time we were there and I'm pretty sure they were left on from the last vacationers. It also rained the entire time we were there and the TV's had big black squares in the middle of the picture so we couldn't even watch TV. The food! OOOFFFF!!! At times I couldn't even make out what the food was; dog? What else, oh, and do not buy anything from the vendors on the beach except maybe some artwork. There were a lot of beautiful paintings and never except the first offer; you can always talk them down; my girlfriend was really good at that; they love american girls...actually the locals love anything that moves. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I'm getting mad just thinking about all the bad things that were envolved in this trip...my advice...STAY AWAY!
sincerely,
Jersey

4  Thank beta1461
Reviewed April 25, 2007

Not the holiday we imagined.

Room - we had to move rooms as the air conditioning didn't work and the fan sounded like a jet engine was warming up. The shower was OK but flooded the whole room every time we used it.

Food - Awful, it all tasted the same and the al a carte places were even worse than the buffet. My belly still has not recovered.

Resort - well kept and looks great but the beach was the biggest disappointment. It's really small and not what you expect from the Caribbean. It's also dirty and full of debris and rubbish. . They should clean it. There is also a marooned dirty shipwreck just off shore. The pool however are great and alot of work has gone in to making the overall resort (which is huge) look good. It's also really close to Sea World and a cool little Casino.

There is a real divide between difference of the quality of service received by normal and VIP guests. They only really care about the VIP guests. The majority of the staff are also miserable as sin, especially the madam in the gift shop!! grr.

Overall it's a nice looking place, with edible food. This is not a 4 star experience though and not what you expect from the Caribbean... Don't go if you can help it, there has to be much better in the DR.

3  Thank justtin