The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$248
$254
$165
$250
$217
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$305
$238
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$121
$103
$211
$125
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$125
Cancelon
TripAdvisor
4,981 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2007

There's been a lot of bad reviews of the Lifestyle lately, and I feel like I need to give some balance to the recent reviews!

We booked our trip through CheapCaribbean like so many others, and in the end, we felt like we got what we paid for...this is not a five star resort, so if you don't go in expecting that, you will have a wonderful time. And at such a low price, we had no complaints!
The room was clean, had a beautiful view, and was perfectly adequate. The shower doesn't have a door, but we never had problems with flooding...just throw a towel down, problem solved.
One word of advice...if you tip the maid on the first day, you will be more likely to get good service, clean towels, and beer and water in your fridge.
And bring plenty of cash with you, because the ATM was out of service the whole time we were there.

The grounds are BEAUTIFUL. There are several pools to choose from...we loved the one by building five because it was away from the entertainment booth and pool bar, so it was quieter. The pools are a good temperature, and if you get out before 10 am you can get a chair under an umbrella.
The beach was nice too, but a little small.

The buffet food was so so. I am picky about meat especially, but there was always the pasta bar, and a good variety of potatoes, fruit, vegetables and bread to choose from.
I did get tired of the food by the end of our six day stay. You can always try the hamburgers, chicken fingers, fried fish etc at the Blue Lagoon for lunch, which makes a nice change.
We loved the ala carte restaurants, especially the Italian. We never had a problem getting a reservation.

We had fun hanging out at the pool bar after dinner, but it is definitely quiet at night...the bars close at midnight, and the nightly entertainment is just so so.
Some of the other hotel guests went to the Ocean World casino next door and said they had fun.

The VIP salesmen were annoying, and my poor boyfriend was suckered into listening to them before he even knew what was happening. Just say not and keep walking and they'll eventually leave you alone.
The vendors that set up outside the buffet restaurant a few nights during the week were VERY obnoxious. I wouldn't recommend even trying to browse through what they have. They won't leave you alone.

Ocean World was fabulous....we did the Dolphin swim, LOVED it, and loved the shark show as well.

Overall, we had a GREAT time. The staff was helpful, and yes, it took them awhile to respond to our requests, but they were always friendly about it!
It is a beautiful place to visit, and when you're sitting by the pool with a beer in hand, there's no reason not to have a good time!

8  Thank DCgirl12
Reviewed April 30, 2007

Originally I was booked to stay at the SunVillage Hotel in the Dominican Republic for six days. I received a call from my travel agency telling me that the hotel over-booked and would I be willing to stay one night at the Hacienda-Lifestyles hotel for one night and would have all inclusive use of both hotels for my entire stay because of the inconvienence. Of course I said yes.
What a nightmare that turned out to be. My first night at the Hacienda-LifeStyle and in this beautiful country went well. My friends and I settled in to have a great time. The next day we were transferred to the SunVillage Hotel, which went ok, of course the accomodations were better to say the least. Again my friends and I settled in to have a great time. We now had a choice to use either of the hotels, for eating, swimming and gift shopping. To get to the point, on day three, my friends and I decided to go gift shopping at the Hacienda-Lifestyles hotel, well, we were greeted with such with such hostility. The person who approached (an employee of the hotel) begin to ask us where were we coming from and told us we could not use any of the facilties of this hotel and go back to SunVillage where we came from. Numerous times we TRIED to explain that our travel agency representitive is at SunVillage and would explain why we were able to have use of both hotels. The front-desk clerks begin to yell and scream at us that we were to hand over our arm-bands immediately and begin to come after us with scissors. I have never in my 48 years been treated with such DISRESPECT AND ANGER in all my life. It was a total OUTRAGE the way my friends and I was treated.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank plumpaula
Reviewed April 29, 2007

DO NOT STAY AT THE LIFESTYLE RESORT! First off, the bathroom flooded everytime someone took a shower because there are no shower doors or anything to stop the water. So then we had to use our bath towels to clean the mess which did not do the job and then we couldn't get new towels; I must have tried for hours to get new towels. They kept telling me they'll be right there. They did not change the sheets the entire time we were there and I'm pretty sure they were left on from the last vacationers. It also rained the entire time we were there and the TV's had big black squares in the middle of the picture so we couldn't even watch TV. The food! OOOFFFF!!! At times I couldn't even make out what the food was; dog? What else, oh, and do not buy anything from the vendors on the beach except maybe some artwork. There were a lot of beautiful paintings and never except the first offer; you can always talk them down; my girlfriend was really good at that; they love american girls...actually the locals love anything that moves. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I'm getting mad just thinking about all the bad things that were envolved in this trip...my advice...STAY AWAY!
sincerely,
Jersey

4  Thank beta1461
Reviewed April 25, 2007

Not the holiday we imagined.

Room - we had to move rooms as the air conditioning didn't work and the fan sounded like a jet engine was warming up. The shower was OK but flooded the whole room every time we used it.

Food - Awful, it all tasted the same and the al a carte places were even worse than the buffet. My belly still has not recovered.

Resort - well kept and looks great but the beach was the biggest disappointment. It's really small and not what you expect from the Caribbean. It's also dirty and full of debris and rubbish. . They should clean it. There is also a marooned dirty shipwreck just off shore. The pool however are great and alot of work has gone in to making the overall resort (which is huge) look good. It's also really close to Sea World and a cool little Casino.

There is a real divide between difference of the quality of service received by normal and VIP guests. They only really care about the VIP guests. The majority of the staff are also miserable as sin, especially the madam in the gift shop!! grr.

Overall it's a nice looking place, with edible food. This is not a 4 star experience though and not what you expect from the Caribbean... Don't go if you can help it, there has to be much better in the DR.

3  Thank justtin
Reviewed April 24, 2007

Don't expect pool side service..no wait staff at any of the pool's and or wait staff at the beach. Only one bartender at poolside bar and one bartender at beach. So you might want to order 3 drinks at a time.

The Conciere's are great espically Thomas and Johnny, Emily guest services was very helpful and accommendating Bartender's at lobby Miriam and Jenna are fantasic. Our maid was wonderful but I think they need to learn about cleaning the bath tubs.

I'd give this resort a 2 1/2 someone said they where going to make this a 4 star resort! They have a long, long way to go to get to that. The rooms furnising are ok for a 2 1/2 nothing to compare with a 4 star resort!

Stayed: April 2007