“Lifestyles Resort - An Excellent Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Jamestown, New York
“Lifestyles Resort - An Excellent Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

My wife, sister, and friend just returned from 12 days at the Lifestyles Resort. We have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and Mexico and paid little heed to the negative reviews for this resort.
We arrived on Thursday April 15 at the Puerto Plata airport via Continental. The flight, customs, and travel to the resort went very smoothly. We were greeted at the resort with a nice welcome cocktail and were in our rooms within 15 minutes. We had a junior suite in building #5. The room was nice and clean, typical of all of the resorts we have gone. As it was later in the afternoon, we decided to check out the pool and swim up bar. The cocktails were good and free flowing.
The next day we walked the beach and ended up at the VIP Beach. This was indeed the beginning of a wonderful adventure. The VIP Beach has canopy beds to relax in. The staff was excellent, providing continuous service right to your beach bed. The cocktails were always top shelf and ample. We know what a tip here and there will do for service. We tipped generally $10 per day to the bar staff at the beach - the best investment we could make. The service that Hector and Juan provided us was phenomenal. Take care of them and they will take care of you! On a couple of the days we ventured to the VIP Pool area. It was much more casual and relaxed, but equally good. Spending time at the VIP areas definitely made you feel that you were pampered.
We were looking at our pictures last evening and I realized that so many of the previous reviews must have been wrong. In all of our pictures, we were holding cocktails and had smiles on our faces!
As far as the restaurants go, we went to all of them with the exception of the Italian. Reservations with my girlfriend Lucia (she hugged me when we left) were simple and usually available. The food was very good and plenty of variety. The buffet was a little repetitive, but always looked good and had variety. Nobody went hungry and we were always pleased.
One evening we walked over to meet some people that we had met that were staying in a villa. WOW!!!. The villa was a 3 bedroom, living room, dining area and kitchen. Stepping through the french doors is your own pool and sun deck.
For those of you expecting to be at a 5 star resort and yet go on the cheap, think again. I rate this as a 4 star resort and an exceptional value. For the 12 days that we were there, our whole deal was $1,000 per person.
Having been to numerous all inclusive resorts, this one definitely ranks among the best. We are already talking about going back and staying in a villa - well worth the little extra.

2 Thank MrGufrump

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

I was skeptical with all the mixed reviews. No one mentioned that there is a tier system to wristbands at this resort. If your gold, you can do anything. Cheaper Carribbean can go to the VIP beach and a few other perks. If you are red, you cannot go to any VIP area and do not get special treatment. That said. The food was pretty expectable for an all inclusive resort, and if you follow the rules (reservations at 1 at the concierge) the retaurants were not hard to get into. The bartenders and entertainment committee were all very nice and helpful and mad sure you had a "happy, happy" time. The spa was pricey but the massage was incredible. Excursions are limited but not too bad. A list of Taxi prices can be found to the right ,outside of the front lobby. If you do not like to be up to midnight, and you get put into a room next to the pool, I can imagine you would not have a great time. This hotel is really what you make of it. You can have a good time, quiet time, miserable time. It just depends on your attitude and what you expect out of your vacation.

2 Thank lw12
Auburn, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

My fiance and I went to this resort almost 2 years ago, I figured I could atleast contribute considering I use trip advisor ALOT- better late then never! At the time we visited the resort was Hacienda Tropical- they were just changing over to what it is called now.

We are NOT complainers, but I have to admit this resort is nothing special. We utilized a time share though RCI and had a studio, corner room. We did see some critters in the room but was to be expected because of the climate and it was right by the sliding glass door...The room was very basic, basic linens and mediocor furniture, the bath was fairly small. It annoyed me you had to pay for the safe in the room...but do this!! Its a must! And do not use the ATM on the resort, both my fiance and I had fraudulant charges on both of our bank accounts when we returned home...

There is not much going on at the resort if you are the type to like games etc. We are mostly loungers so that didn't bother us. It was very diffucult to get a lounge chair by the pool if you don't get up early, word to the wise, put your towel down the night before! We did enjoy the beach, but it was also hard to find chairs to sit on in that area.

The VIP welcome night was nice, we really enjoyed that. The food was very good and it was a nice touch to have a live band. The food at the restaurants was fair, at best. The buffets were kinda bad. Not being a picky eater...but we did get sick. My fiance on day 2 of the trip and myself by day 6 or so. The Dominican is known for not having clean water so I'm assuming the drinks with ice is what did it. Also, the food may be left out a little too long. We also did notice ALOT of birds by the food, unfortunatly this is probably beyond there control as most of the restaurants are completly open. The Japanese restaurant is very good though, we did enjoy that.

Go on the excursions!!! They are worth it! We enjoyed the the boat ride and going to Paradise island...

All in all, we had a good time. The resort is middle of the road...be careful with the water and food. I would reccommend going to the bahamas or other parts of the caribbean over Puerta Plata. And yes, the timeshare people are a PAIN. We sat though the whole thing but only got one phone call after. We said no and the did leave us alone

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sbazinet38
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I enjoyed my time here with my fiancée. The VIP beach and amenities were the best. If you're there for the beach, pools, music, and food then this is for you. Our room was nice, service was good, and having a variety of things to do was nice. Its pretty far from the airport so taking a taxi is not the best option.

2 Thank MrTee12
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

If you have high expectations...then this place isn't for you! The buffet is ok, but tends to offer the same thing for every meal with little variation. I had an omlet everyday because the breakfast buffet had some "interesting" items...the man who makes the omlet is best! The local alcohol does get tiresome but if you can venture out, there is a liquor store next to the casino with reasonable prices. Also on the way to the casino (if you walk the beach it is fastest) you will find Ahora, a cool little beach bar. We had lunch here one day, the ribs were delicious. A little farther down across the street is Chris and Maddy's...we had dinner there one night per a recommendation and was very good too.
Getting out of the resort is best, you can see the town and meet the locals...we played golf twice, once at Playa Dorado, about a half hour away and again at Playa Grande, amost two hours away. We also went diving in Sosua (very cool little town with great bars). Get out and see things and you will enjoy your trip a lot more than just hanging at the pool and beach at the resort!

3 Thank seminoleam
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

1st of all if you give a negative review its because you did not do your homework
when i went i was some what prepared but i had to adapt to my situation
when i arrive they took an hr to get my room ready then they give me a nice room but the view was not so good i did not see the ocean even though i paid extra for an ocean view so i went to the front they changed it for me within 15 mins.
after that i spent the day relaxing in my room by the beach pool or one of a couple of bars
they have a lot of activitys by the pool they teach you how to dance,speak spanish,play blackjack,make drinks,they put on live concerts and shows on and in the pool and much more
the staff is always friendly always say hi or how are you and always have a smile on and always are in good spirits
they have a simple gym (very simple) but you get some work out done.
i did not try the spa
the food varies but most of the time its very good (most of the time) there deserts need more variations
ocean world is a must
now the biggest issues i had were
-money exchange they are a major rip off do not change your money with them unless you truly have to (really dont exchange with them you will regret it)(cant stress it enough)
my reasons are
-the dollar is worth 36 and a half ...they exchange the dollar for 36
so if you change 200 dollars you get 7000 pesos instead 7300 so you lose 8 dollars
now lets say you use 3000 pesos now you have 4000 pesos left so you would think they would change it back but they don't because they have it in small letters on the sign they dont change pesos into dollars they tell you to go change it at airport ok...so now your at the airport and the air port changes it at 36 pesos per dollar...so you lost already 8 now with the new exchange you loose 4 dollars so on 200 dollars u lose 12 dollars on a so on .
-Now there is no wifi or internet in any of the rooms
only in the lobby and you have to pay per use
5 half hr
8 hr
-phone calls are crazy
1 dollar per minute to the us
20 pesos per min domestic
so by a cell when you get there or before the cheap ones cost you about 500 pesos (14 dollars)worth it..
-the guy that try to sell you the vip will keep asking you to take the tour i say take it i personally liked it and at the end of the tour i told them its not for me and they gave me a mama juana and thats the last i heard of them....so just get it over with its very nice it last like 15 mins
- last but not least always have a play to go out into the city with a tour guild (very important ) it is not to dangerous out there but better safe then sorry and they help alot
i used a tour called the man tour (http://themantour.net/) this was great we went to bar and club hopping i had a great i had a great time the guy who gives the tour is american and knows where all the partys trust me you would have a great time...if you do book the man tour tell him BIG LUIS from NY sent you ........the vaction was great but remember you have to make it great....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank adventurelu
South Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

My friend and i went here for 5 nights in April and we had a really good time! I'll break down my experience by category:
Food: I thought the food was decent. The buffet always had a variety, something for everyone, but don't expect gourmet. I won't lie to you, i ate something that didnt agree with my stomach, but i think you can expect that any time you try something new or foreign to you. At the Sunday night party i had the BBQ chicken and the pork and both were really good. i also heard good things about the sushi. Monday night we ate at Bellini, but we just got pizza, it was ok. Tuesday night there was a BBQ, everyone seemed to like what they had. One day we had lunch at the VIP beach bar, the turkey pita was delicious! (Also, Raul is one of the bartenders, he's a really nice guy and speaks very good english if you get the chance to talk to him) Yes, the restaurant reservation system is strange, but it is what it is and i think the most irritating part of my entire trip was listening to people complain about it.
Entertainment: I will admit, the nightly entertainment (the dancers) are pretty cheesy, but they seem to be having fun, are super enthusiastic and seem to be trying hard so it's still kind of fun. The band at the SUnday night party was really good and it was a TON of fun! At the Tuesday night BBQ there was another really good local singer and a weird show at the pool with dancing and fire called the Cascade show. The singer was good and some of the staff were walking around teaching people how to dance, i recommend getting up and trying it, no matter how much of a fool you feel like! As i said, the show was sort of weird, but it was cool. We went to the disco each night, fyi the 'themes' don't seem to keep to the schedule and there usually weren't many people there, but the dancers were usually in there and were willing to teach you how to dance if you wanted to learn.
Accommodations: I thought the room was fairly nice. The bathroom is all tile and so are the floors in the rest of the room. This gets tricky when it rains a lot because it got slippery, but we just used a towel as a doormat and we were all set. WHen we first got there we realized the sliding glass door to the deck didnt lock (we were on the first floor) but someone came and fixed it within a half hour. Our room was quiet, the AC always worked, the water was always hot and the water pressure was good. The housekeeper came every day and we always had enough towels and drinks. (we left her $1 each day, i have no idea if that mattered).
The rest: Beware, there are no rules to the road there. They drive like mainiacs, but i didnt see any accidents. I booked through cheap caribbean, so we were VIP. This meant we had access to the VIP beach, bar and sushi bar, however, we aren't owners, so we weren't allowed in VIP world or some of the other fancy restaurants. Just make sure you know where you stand before you get there. I thought the drinks (especially the premixed fruity ones) were delicious. i have no idea if the alcohol was 'top shelf' or not, but frankly, it didn't matter. In general, i found the staff to be friendly, fun and helpful. I did notice that the female staff members weren't as nice to us, but im not sure if it was because we are young women or because their english wasn't as good. I found that most of the other guests were pleasant and had a lot of fun with some new people. Random note, there seemed to be a lot of couples, so i wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a 'singles trip'.
Anyway, sorry that was so long and drawn out, but if you are laid back and are just looking for a get away in the sun, then i absolutely think this is a good place for you!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends