“Do research before you go if your traveling alone!!”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
new york
“Do research before you go if your traveling alone!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

1st of all if you give a negative review its because you did not do your homework
when i went i was some what prepared but i had to adapt to my situation
when i arrive they took an hr to get my room ready then they give me a nice room but the view was not so good i did not see the ocean even though i paid extra for an ocean view so i went to the front they changed it for me within 15 mins.
after that i spent the day relaxing in my room by the beach pool or one of a couple of bars
they have a lot of activitys by the pool they teach you how to dance,speak spanish,play blackjack,make drinks,they put on live concerts and shows on and in the pool and much more
the staff is always friendly always say hi or how are you and always have a smile on and always are in good spirits
they have a simple gym (very simple) but you get some work out done.
i did not try the spa
the food varies but most of the time its very good (most of the time) there deserts need more variations
ocean world is a must
now the biggest issues i had were
-money exchange they are a major rip off do not change your money with them unless you truly have to (really dont exchange with them you will regret it)(cant stress it enough)
my reasons are
-the dollar is worth 36 and a half ...they exchange the dollar for 36
so if you change 200 dollars you get 7000 pesos instead 7300 so you lose 8 dollars
now lets say you use 3000 pesos now you have 4000 pesos left so you would think they would change it back but they don't because they have it in small letters on the sign they dont change pesos into dollars they tell you to go change it at airport ok...so now your at the airport and the air port changes it at 36 pesos per dollar...so you lost already 8 now with the new exchange you loose 4 dollars so on 200 dollars u lose 12 dollars on a so on .
-Now there is no wifi or internet in any of the rooms
only in the lobby and you have to pay per use
5 half hr
8 hr
-phone calls are crazy
1 dollar per minute to the us
20 pesos per min domestic
so by a cell when you get there or before the cheap ones cost you about 500 pesos (14 dollars)worth it..
-the guy that try to sell you the vip will keep asking you to take the tour i say take it i personally liked it and at the end of the tour i told them its not for me and they gave me a mama juana and thats the last i heard of them....so just get it over with its very nice it last like 15 mins
- last but not least always have a play to go out into the city with a tour guild (very important ) it is not to dangerous out there but better safe then sorry and they help alot
i used a tour called the man tour (http://themantour.net/) this was great we went to bar and club hopping i had a great i had a great time the guy who gives the tour is american and knows where all the partys trust me you would have a great time...if you do book the man tour tell him BIG LUIS from NY sent you ........the vaction was great but remember you have to make it great....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank adventurelu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,024)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My friend and i went here for 5 nights in April and we had a really good time! I'll break down my experience by category:
Food: I thought the food was decent. The buffet always had a variety, something for everyone, but don't expect gourmet. I won't lie to you, i ate something that didnt agree with my stomach, but i think you can expect that any time you try something new or foreign to you. At the Sunday night party i had the BBQ chicken and the pork and both were really good. i also heard good things about the sushi. Monday night we ate at Bellini, but we just got pizza, it was ok. Tuesday night there was a BBQ, everyone seemed to like what they had. One day we had lunch at the VIP beach bar, the turkey pita was delicious! (Also, Raul is one of the bartenders, he's a really nice guy and speaks very good english if you get the chance to talk to him) Yes, the restaurant reservation system is strange, but it is what it is and i think the most irritating part of my entire trip was listening to people complain about it.
Entertainment: I will admit, the nightly entertainment (the dancers) are pretty cheesy, but they seem to be having fun, are super enthusiastic and seem to be trying hard so it's still kind of fun. The band at the SUnday night party was really good and it was a TON of fun! At the Tuesday night BBQ there was another really good local singer and a weird show at the pool with dancing and fire called the Cascade show. The singer was good and some of the staff were walking around teaching people how to dance, i recommend getting up and trying it, no matter how much of a fool you feel like! As i said, the show was sort of weird, but it was cool. We went to the disco each night, fyi the 'themes' don't seem to keep to the schedule and there usually weren't many people there, but the dancers were usually in there and were willing to teach you how to dance if you wanted to learn.
Accommodations: I thought the room was fairly nice. The bathroom is all tile and so are the floors in the rest of the room. This gets tricky when it rains a lot because it got slippery, but we just used a towel as a doormat and we were all set. WHen we first got there we realized the sliding glass door to the deck didnt lock (we were on the first floor) but someone came and fixed it within a half hour. Our room was quiet, the AC always worked, the water was always hot and the water pressure was good. The housekeeper came every day and we always had enough towels and drinks. (we left her $1 each day, i have no idea if that mattered).
The rest: Beware, there are no rules to the road there. They drive like mainiacs, but i didnt see any accidents. I booked through cheap caribbean, so we were VIP. This meant we had access to the VIP beach, bar and sushi bar, however, we aren't owners, so we weren't allowed in VIP world or some of the other fancy restaurants. Just make sure you know where you stand before you get there. I thought the drinks (especially the premixed fruity ones) were delicious. i have no idea if the alcohol was 'top shelf' or not, but frankly, it didn't matter. In general, i found the staff to be friendly, fun and helpful. I did notice that the female staff members weren't as nice to us, but im not sure if it was because we are young women or because their english wasn't as good. I found that most of the other guests were pleasant and had a lot of fun with some new people. Random note, there seemed to be a lot of couples, so i wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a 'singles trip'.
Anyway, sorry that was so long and drawn out, but if you are laid back and are just looking for a get away in the sun, then i absolutely think this is a good place for you!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank cmh5384
Milwaukee, WI.
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We were guests at the Lifestyle Resort booking through Cheap Carribean. The rooms are old and musty smelling. We met with the time share thieves and upgraded to a villa. That was our BIGGEST mistake. They wave a book around during contract negotiations with the directories of their sister resorts. They tell you that you can stay at any of these resorts any time with a 3 month advance reservation. They encourage you to offer these properties to friends, strangers etc. at a fraction of the going rate and that is how you recoup your original investment. Get in all in writing. Upon our return I attempted to book a room 6 months in advance in Key West, FL. at one of their sister properties from the book. I was told there is no availability in Key West and they offered to put me in a one star motel 3 hours north of Key West for more money that I would pay booking on my own. We are now part of a class action lawsuit against Lifestyle Vaction Club for misrepresentation. DO NOT under any circumstance buy into their lies. I rely heavily on Trip advisor when making travel plans and I am being forthright and honest with you, run do not walk away from this resort.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank irishfreak
boston, ma
Reviewed April 13, 2010

We had booked this on a discount site & were very wary given that the reviews were mixed and the hotel site is weak -- however we were VERY pleasantly surprised!! The service was great & every staff member was extremely friendly & helpful. The V.I.P. beach bed section is fantastic - a good mix of fun & relaxation. The food was much better than we thought it would be as well! For the most part you're getting buffet so you have to be prepared that it's not exactly the Capital Grille - but for what it's worth it was excellent! Also, the individual restaurants at the hotel were great as well & a nice break between the buffet scene. The rooms themselves are pretty standard but definitely fit the bill for the price & you spend all your time in the beautiful sunshine anyways!

If you do book - definitely schedule the monster truck safari for an excursion - a great day & incredibly fun & memorable.

Net, net - for an all inclusive, you'll be very happy!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank courtneycagg
Kent
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Ignore the bad reviews of what id say the majority of people put on here, unless you abit of a snob ;) ! We stayed last May and it was fantastic. The hotel rooms are cleaned everyday, fresh bedding, fresh towels etc. The food reptitive on the 2nd week but who cares you do have a la carte aswell so get booking on the all inclusive and ull be fine!! The entertainment staff are just amazing, Mannie, Pink Panther, Daniel and all the rest - made the holiday for us, they work their nutz off, they earn pennys compared to most people. All of them do! There is such much i can say about this place...there is lush lively areas to have fun...if you dont like it then walk 1 minute around 1 of the hotel blocks and go to another pool etc....Ill be here all night, Ive only put it off for nearly a yr as i knew it would take forever. So ill say if you have any questions etc feel free to ask. Take loads of suncream with you, its scorchin here...ull love the tan if your into it. We done pretty much every excursion you can get. Yes we booked with Thomas cook rep instead of the blokes on the beach but if you do book anything with them outside of the hotel, if say u break ur leg or something, ur travel insurance wont cover it...Aint worth the risk for 20 dollers and trust me once youve done a few you wont regret it....only 1 id say scrub is the rum factory/cable car one....too many stops - its such a long day and done the wrong way round...do rum tasting at 7am....dont get me wrong sum peeps are into that and so are we but when u didnt finish til 2am...yeeeerrrr :)! Ocean world is amazing - you cannot swim with Dolphins etc anywhere like this in the world...The Dune dirt buggys was probs the 2nd best thing of the holiday again an excellent day out! Ill leave it as this and say any questions on anything on prices from excursions, weather around that time, clothing or entertainment etc, just message me, ill try my best to give you all the info i can asap. I would recommend this hotel but depends what your taste is...if your genuine and can take a few nacks like the door squeaks or it rains randomly(This is the Carribean people!! Wat do you expect!??!) Plus it stops within 30mins and then its dried out and ur cookin again :) We loved it...will travel a few more countries etc 1st before returning as i turned 22 out there and my parted was 21, overall id go back next week though ;)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley_Hall
Shropshire
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Myself and my partner have only just come back from this resort. We booked through Club La Costa (first mistake) we were meant to be VIP and expected pure luxury. We were not VIP and didn't get luxury, infact we got wild goose chases whilst trying to upgrade and rude staff!! We were meant to have a crown suite villa but got a room at the tropical resort, it is basically butlins in hot weather. We got given the grand tour of 'what could be' but straight away delcined. We couldn't have been ushered out quick enough. We decided if they didn't want the extra money it was there loss.
I highly recommend the Horse riding this was the only saving grace. It was so good we did it twice secind time in a tropical storm, ponies are reliable, people are lovely and sights are amazing. Food was ok, I managed to get a bug. The system of booking a restaurant a day in advance but only between 1-3 pm really annoyed me and constantly being told everywhere was full when it wasn't made my temper worse. To calm down we decided to have a massage at the spa. First massage was ok, bit too much pressure but tolerable. Second one OH MY GOD! The therapist was chewing gum all the way through, yawning (and spraying on me) and the pressure was awful.. I have bruises all down my calves and could barely walk the next day!
Just a warning if your not VIP expect to fend for yourself!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RenskeShropshire
Northern NJ
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We traveled to Lifestyles at the suggestion of a friend who is an "owner" at Lifestyle Crown VIllas. Our stay was in a 3 bedroom villa (47B) which was clean, nicely layed out, had beautiful island furnishings and a private pool in our backyard, which was a wonderful treat in the late evenings after the resorts pools closed. The food at the buffet was OK BUT, prepare ahead and reserve your nights in the other restaurants!! Azul and Jazz are for owners only however, non-owners can reserve in the Chinese, Mexican, Italian & VIP a la carte places & the food was delicious. There are private beaches and clubs for owners only BUT, there were VIP areas where blue bracelets were allowed. Ocean World is a great day trip and enjoyed by all. If staying in a villa, you will have breakfast cooked for you each morning which is a nice treat and very relaxing :) We did see the insides of several other accomadations & they were are very nicely decorated and up to date; the presidential suites were beautiful. There is a spa located by the PS area and its a nice quiet retreat with a lovely pool and hot tub..prices are reasonable as well! In the end, we chose to become a VIP villa owner as well & are looking forward to many , many return trips to Lifestyle Crown VIllas!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family