5,178 results
All reviewsvip beachgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsalamisushi barcaramellocasa blancadominican republicwater aerobicscasablanca buffetbeach bedsvip partyhorseback ridingthese guysserenity beach
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I stayed at the Lifestyles Tropical Resort from Aug 7-14/06, and had an amazing time. The staff was extremely friendly, and the animation team put on very good shows. The food was good (altho the hamburgers looked very questionable, they were to die for). The water in the hotel rooms we were told was not drinkable, but the maids brought in bottled water every day. The scenery was beautifull, and altho I have read a lot of complaints about bugs, I didn't encounter very many. The bar service was very good as well, altho at the disco the drinks are not included. One of the bar tenders at the main "cana bar" was allowing kids to have alcoholic beverages, altho the parents were aware of this, and didn't say anything. When I got to the resort my phone wouldn't dial and the toilet didn't flush, i went to the lobby to complain, and they had someone come right to the room, who fixed the phone (altho it broke again later), and was unable to fix the toilet as it was working again when he came, so that was a minor irritation off and on through out the week as it seemed to only work when it wanted to. There was not a lot of decoration in the rooms, but the furniture and bedding was nice, and they were kept clean by the maids. I usually find the vendors pushy and annoying, but at the Tropical they seemed very laid back. The spa service was also very nice, altho I think that it was a little over priced. Didn't get to see a lot of the VIP areas as I was just a regular guest, but from what I saw of them they looked very nice, there was a building with extra entertainment on top of the animation shows, and they had a special part in the disco where they could sit, and we did see the outside of the buildings they get to stay in on our way to the pool on that side of the resort, and they looked very nice. Overall the resort was very nice, I was very impressed, and I will definatly go back.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
13  Thank JoanKeller
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Tropical Resort the second week of August. Like many people, we read the reviews here prior to leaving. My conclusion is that people complain way too much. Our room was clean but basic. We got water each day, clean towels, and had no problem with hot water. We did find the doorless showers strange as water sometimes leaked into the toilet area. The A/C could have been a bit stronger as the humidity in August was very high. We thoroughly enjoyed the balcony (we overlooked the gazebo in block 1). We had no problems with bugs at all - a tip is to request a room on the highest floor available. The floors were slippery when wet. We spoke to a lady who broke her leg during a rain storm because of the wet marble. TV reception wasn't great but we weren't there to watch tv. The power went out daily for about a minute. No big deal really - you just had to reset your alarm clock.

The food was great. We enjoyed the a la cartes (Mexican and Indo-Chinese). We had no problems booking dinner reservations at all. The buffet had tons of choices. We enjoyed the lunch snack bar at the Blue Lagoon especially when they had a lunch buffet. The service at the buffet was hit or miss. Sometimes we were offered wine and beer while other times it was difficult to get a non-water drink. The gala dinner was particularly yummy with turkey, beef wellington and lobster. Yes- the VIP people were annoying as they constantly harassed you at the buffet entrances. The bars were great - we enjoyed the lobby bar for more formal drinks but the beach bar (Tortuga) was great for slushy beach drinks.

The beach was nice and small. It was rocky in places in the water (water shoes a good idea). The best feature of the beach was the lack of a current. You could swim / float far without being sucked into the ocean. We never had a problem getting towels or a chaise lounge. The pools were nice but we found the main pool noisy . Sitting under the waterfalls with a cocktail is a great way to relax. Water equipment was hard to get...you had to ask the activity centre people to open the centre. They didn't seem to take much care of the equipment as it was sometimes left out all night on the beach. Kayaking was fun. The activity people were great and the nightly shows interesting. Be sure to have a "Happy Happy" while you are watching.

Yes there were some negatives but overall we really enjoyed ourselves. When we were there, many things were being worked on. They are really working hard to improve this resort. On a final note, we upgraded to VIP and enjoyed the use of VIP World. We attended a huge gala and really loved it. They have international brand liquor and great food.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
17  Thank rumyqtpi2
Reviewed August 12, 2006

***PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW CAREFULLY** If you intend on going to the Lifestyle resort anytime soon.

My husband and 5 year old daughter travel extensively and have had the pleasure of frequenting many 5 star hotels and resorts. This was our first time in the Dominican and were very apprehensive about changing our destination. I did much due diligence and because of the price and the 4 star rating decided to book a week stay at Lifesyles for my family and I.

I must admit that upon arrival I was impressed with the landscaping and lobby, it seemt quite plush and welcoming. The horror began when we arrived at the room. Although we were in a "RENOVATED" room it was definitely not upto our standards. The room had obviously been broken into and the screen door could not be locked. It took 24 hours for the concierge to come and fix it. The room was also dull, grungy and blah! I asked to be changed or upgraded and they insisted that the room we had was one of the better rooms and we were better off staying where we were. The alchol and the food was awful and had my bed ridden for a full day and a half.

I decided to attempt breakfast on the 2nd day and while on my way to the buffet was approached by one of the VIP sales recruiters. Although he waited for us to finish breakfast he was by no means persistent or annoying.

After breakfast he whisked us off to "THE OTHER SIDE":!! It was plush, gorgeous and absolutely dream like. I personally thought that I had died and gone to heaven as it was so different from vitalis/lifestyle resort.

We were then introduced to a very american sales reps who offered us the best chardonnays and premium drinks you could think of.

He gave us a tour of the exclusvie pools, clubs, cafes, restaurants, villas and penthouses that members were entitled to. I must admit that my husband and I were very apprehensive at first and thought that the offer was just too good to be true and insisted he disclose anything he may of forgotten. It turns there is no catch!!!!

We became members (we bought 50 weeks) and never have regretted since. Buying into the club was the best decision we have made and if it weren't for the intervention of the sales reps our vacation would've been a utter disaster to say the least.

Being a member entitles you to be apart of world you could never imagine. Everything is plush and top notch. 5+ stars to say the least. The service was impeccable and so were the ameninites.

The restaurant and service was exemplary to say the least. The food exquisite. Filet mignon, chateaubriand, lobster etc... and of course fine wines.

I must say comparing the two resorts is like comparing good and evil. If you have no intention of upgrading do not waste your money.

Wait until you can afford to buy a piece of paradise. TRUST ME!!

Not to mention limo service and a golf cart for transportation on the resort is included while you are there.

I can't wait until December when we go back to celebrate the new year at VIP world.

Check out there site online, you'll see that it is that and more!!

JM

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
11  Thank HappyJacky
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We would never recommend this resort. Here is a list of our complaints:
- Our room was changed 3 x's. The 1st the air conditioner was not working. The 2nd the air was not working well. The 3rd, the air was working but sounded like an airplane engine. This room the hot water did not work.
- Water was turned off/did not work maybe due to maintenance for a few hours one day.
- No wireless connection available. However, you could buy time to use the internet. One day, the connection was down all day. Also, you always had login problems with the computer eating more time than actually used. Many people had this problem.
- Beach towels ran out by 10am.
- Room towels were always low. We usually got our 2nd big towel around 8pm. Also, you were lucky to get hand & wash towels and our shower towel rug was taken away after a few days.
- A La Carte Restaurant slots were limited to 10 slots daily! If you didn't make your reservation within the first hour (1-3pm) you were out of luck.
- Food was hit or miss. Sometimes you would get food that was partially cooked, many of the fruits were rotten (usually they put the rotten at the bottom and fresh on top).
- The timeshare sales goons bothered you non-stop. They plopped themselves in front of the buffet restaurant and kept harassing you.
- At the timeshare, we told the VIP salesman about our complaints and he said the problems at the sister resort was common. Also, he trashed our vacation timeshare, Plan with Tan and said if we joined the VIP timeshare we would not have issues. Very unprofessional.
- The resort allows vendors on their beach so you are harassed by them to buy their products.
- Pillows and sheets smelled like mildew.
- Resort is backward on policies. For example, we could not charge an additional item at the a la carte restaurant to our room. We were actually escorted to the front desk after dinner to pay the bill.
- Our fridge was not stocked daily. We called several times to refill, and no one every came.
- We were getting conflicting information from staffers. For example, we wanted to find out about scuba diving and different staffers told us to go to different sections of the resort for the info. We finally got the information from a fellow guest.

I'm sure back in the day the resort was nice. However, they do not keep up with the maintenance and no one is willing to take responsibility over a problem. We were constantly told, "We're working on it", or "It's another departments fault". Maybe it's our Northeast, American mentaility, but when you pay for a resort you should receive timely service. We even waited patiently for 3 days to fix our air conditioner (we put it to 60 degrees and it felt like 80) and they never did. I would never recommend this resort to anyone. Also, the clientele of the resort is a bit shady. I don't know if they give discounts to locals and such groups.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
18  Thank SunnieG
Reviewed July 8, 2006

This is the first time we have been long haul - 8 hour flight. It was an exchange holiday for us (RCI) so were very upset to learn that other holiday makers had paid a third of the price (through a travel agent) of which it had cost us and we had no special benefits. On saying that we enjoyed our stay at the resort and found it to be very clean and tidy. Our room was cleaned and fresh towels supplied on a daily basis. Some of the towels were well past their 'use by' date though. Our room was spacious, TV, coffee making machine and a fridge stocked with water and minerals. Could be a bit noisy as we overlooked the pool where music was quite loud from 10am to 6pm. But the entertainment team worked hard and appeared to enjoy their work.

Breakfast in the buffet restaurant was lovely, plenty of choice and omelettes to die for. We used the buffet restaurant every night except for one when we visited the Chinese a-la-carte restaurant. Didn't book just asked on the night at their reservation desk. Not recommended, not really Chinese food. We found the buffet restaurant had a good choice of food and had a different 'special' every night.

Evening entertainment - poor. Very uncomfortable in the colesium - stone steps to sit on ouch!! One evening there was a display by the entertainment team in the swimming pool - marvellous.

I think the resort lacks a focal point. There needs to be entertainment nearer the pool area where the majority of apartments are and perhaps a bar with comfortable seats instead of seperate bars with high stools and garden chairs.

The staff are very welcoming and very helpful. Always polite and always smiling.

Yes, we enjoyed our holiday it was very relaxing, plenty to eat and plenty to drink - alcoholic and non alcoholic.

• Stayed: June 2006