“Best holiday of my life!”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, United Kingdom
“Best holiday of my life!”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This place was amazing, just being by the poolside you overlooked the sea, with your private beach, palm trees for shade, and poolside bar. Stay away from Rum 151 75% proooooof! all inclusive is the way to go, different style buffet every night, plus 4 other style restaurants to eat in if you wanted to. The entertainment was first class - shows every night were amazing. Then there was the trips to go on, I will be going back with more money next time to try all the trips we failed to attend, but Dolphin swimming was something to remember, along with with paradise Island - sand bank in the middle of the ocean with crystal blue sea surrounding it - WOW.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,030)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
leicestershire
Reviewed July 30, 2009

As soon as we got there i absolutley loved it! The entertainment staff were amazing and I got om with them all very well. I am going next year and i have advised everyone i know that they should concider going. I stayed two weeks but wish i could of stayed more! well worth the money.
x

• Stayed July 2009
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I vacationed with my husband of 9 yrs. at the lifestyle from 7/9-7/13/09. First let me tell you that I called jetblue 3 times to change my hotel after reading all the negative reviews. The last rep. stated she recently visited with her family and i should stick with the hotel. She encouraged me that I would have a great time at the hotel and most importantly that they booked this hotel more for families and couples than any other. Thanks to her we canceled the Grand Oasis and went for lifestyle. It really is a nice hotel with great pools. The Blue Lagoon, and the Asian Restaurant are worth standing in line for at 1 pm daily. The only downside are the VIP reps that are waiting for you at every single meal. They promise you access to private pools, beaches and restaurants. However, my husband and I never went for the tour and outright told them that we were not interested. When we looked around at the hotel all the so called VI
P's were using the same facilities as we were. Turns out that too many people went for the VIP packages and their private "areas" were too crowded. Save yourself the money. Also, we were treated just the same way an any other hotel guest. We had a great room in building 5, poor drainage from the shower. Our maid made sure she dried the shower everyday. The food was great, they should have had more dominican dishes. The staff is very friendly, attentive and quick to take care of your needs. We carried alot of single dollars to tip the various staff that went out of their way to assist us. However, we soon realized that they were not begging us, nor waitng around for tips as some reviews have noted. Carry your sunblock and sunscreen and there really is no need to venture off the resort. The nightly entertainment was great, nicely coordinated. I also observed that there was aolt for children to do. We didn't travel with ours but would next time we return. Again, great hotel, great staff, great food and atmosphere. Just the time share folks got on our nerves.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank machjosh
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Everyone in my party was sick from the food. The pools close at 6:00 pm (why?) we are on vacation and would have liked to relax in the pools in the evening. Especially since there was very limited night life. Oh yea! there was the VIP club that was not advertised that non VIP members could attend. Can't go into the beach after 7:00 pm. If you want to relax and do absolutely nothing, bring the kids and this is the place to go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
liverpool
Reviewed July 19, 2009

stayed 2 weeks with my husband. wanted a relaxing holiday and got it. fantastic place, staff always smiling and friendley and very helpful. you dont get hassled like other reviews have said. food lovely the blue lagoon the best. the only thing that lets it down is the night entrtainment although the show they have on a tuesday night is amazing. there are lots of excursions you can go on, i went swimming with the dolphins and visited paridise island they are two trips ill always remember. If your a fussy drinker like me then take your own tipple with you, my husband enjoyed their own local drink and they give more than genorous amounts. over all i thouroughly enjoyed it and eould return.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christineliverpool
New Jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Normally I wouldn't write a review (and I've put off writing this one quite a while), but I feel I just need to share our experience.

My wife and I stayed at this "resort" in August of 2008. We had travelled there through RCI vacations and took part in the all-inclusive package. While the accomodations were overall decent, a number of the facilities were reserved for members of their own vacation club -- this was not clearly explained until we arrived.

In order to dine in the sit-down private restaurants, reservations needed to be made the previous day or else you were stuck with the buffet restaurant. For the first day obviously, you were stuck and it appeared that the hotel made all efforts to keep people at the buffet as opposed to the other dining options. The drinks were all-inclusive, but far from "top shelf".

I had mentioned that the hotel also had its own all-inclusive program -- the hotel staff made several aggressive attempts selling you on this program. A one-on-one hard sell presentation on timeshares is the last thing we wanted to sit through while on vacation, and I thought it was in incredibly poor taste. I'm sure the program is very nice, but since we are already part of another, I was not in the least place interested.

Lastly (and this is the big one), my wedding band was stolen from my hotel room. While I hate to make accusations, I can only presume it was a member of the staff/maintenance since all the doors were locked. In any case, when I brought this to the attention of the management, I felt I was nearly being accused of trying to pull something. I have stayed in some real S-holes around the world and never had anything stolen from a hotel room. I did not consider a "vacation resort" to be the kind of place I need to worry about personal security. In the hotel's defense, they provided a room safe (which I did not use), but I have never really regarded those things as anything more than a feel-good. If somebody has the keys to get in your room, they can open the safe.

My only recommendation to anybody planning on travelling to this resort is to lower their expectations and not to bring anything of value with them.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DG111
NEW YORK
Reviewed July 17, 2009

This was the best vacation that my family and i had. We were there We were there for two weeks. Next time we will stay longer. We just can't stop talking about it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family