The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Fort Erie, Ontario
Reviewed February 13, 2005

Feb 3-Feb 12 2005
My sister and I just got back to Canada after 8 days at the Tropical and we had a blast. We spent a 9th day at the Gran Ventana and actaully liked it less. The Hacienda resort provides a bit more dominican atmospere. The Gran Ventana was very nice, but felt very sterile.

Rooms: They were clean everyday, didn't have anything stolen. We left a tip everyday and have no complaints. Just like any standard hotel room.

Staff: Awsome!!! The bartenders, especialy the ones at the Bounty are great. You have to see Silvio and Jose!! The day entertainment staff was great, they made the place a lot of fun. THe nightly shows were awsome. Professional dance shows. Really good.

Food: Hit or miss. Some things were really good, some things were not. Don't eat mystery food. Ham, kabobs, pasta, tacos, were all great. Breakfast was awsome.

Bring Immodium. I didn't need it until the very last day. Be prepared and things like that won't ruin your vacation.

All in all, had a great time. Would go again for sure!!

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Toronto
Reviewed February 6, 2005

I was there at first week of February 2005. I had a great time. I do not understand all those complaining people. My room was clean, I did not see flies in the soup (see other reviews) - the meals were really good, friendly staff was everywhere, day and night. If you don’t want to be sick just wash your hands before meals and start to eat with something you used to have at home, not with row of drinks straight from sunny morning. I did really enjoy my dream vacations - gracias Hacienda.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Hacienda Tropical from January 21-28, 2005. I also was worried after reading some of the reviews before we left. The grounds were beautiful at this resort, but the building we were in is definitely in need of renovating and remodeling. The air conditioner did leak all over the floor the whole time, lost electricity several times and once it was off for over 4 hours and you could smell burnt wires. On several occasions there was no hot water at all so couldn't shower before dinner. The rooms were damp and musty smelling. And I did have to wash all of our clothes when we got home as they did keep an odor to them just from being in the closet. I did get sick with fever and chills one day, and my legs have spots all over the back of them. I do not know if it was bug bites or hives from an allergic reaction to something but I'm hoping that I do not get scars as they are still healing. Had to eat plenty of Benadryl just to be able to tolerate the itch. My husband was up throwing up all night long on the 5th night of our trip, and then had diarrhea the remaining time we were there. I would guess it was from something he ate that didn't agree with him. Anytime we travel to a different country one of us usually is out of sorts at least one day just from eating and drinking 24/7 unlike we do at home. I would say that we made the best of this vacation but were not impressed at all with our room. We were determined not to let it ruin our whole trip and just spent as little time as possible in the room. Not hard to do when you don't have lights or hot water! We will definitely return to Mexico next time instead of to the Carribean. Never had a resort that was run down when we vacationed there!

6  Thank spodie86
Reviewed January 16, 2005

Wow! All i ever see is complaints from people in the U.K.! If you want to live in style like the Queen, then live that way in the U.K.! This resort was great! Sure, there was birds flying through the buffet area, but what would you expect, with no doors? I love the outdoors, and loved the way the birds flew through the dining area...we went on the horse back excursion, and a lot of the families up in the mountains do not even have doors on their houses either, let alone an array of food prepared for them every day!

Am not going to lie...some of the staff had problems speaking English, but we had expected this, for Spanish is their native tounge. They were always very polite, with a smile and a " ola! "

we read a lot of the reviews about the power outages...the longest power outage we experienced was 15 minutes. This happened nightly, around the same time...9 p.m. I am guess it was time to refuel the generators.

mosquito's....this was another complaint...and being " fair game after dark on the beach ". well, in the 7 days we were at the resort, I saw one...yes, ONE mosquito!

the hot water was hit and miss some days, with one day having no hot water at all. No stress...I was on vacation...one day without scalding hot water did not kill me;)

the nightly entertainment was fantastic. the group of dancers love performing for the audience just as much as the audience enjoys watching them! They practice hard during the day, and put on a good show at night...

Lorenzo, Spongebob and Spaghetti will keep you entertained through-out the day with activities and games, and then the dancing and commentary in the evening with the dancers! " Wakey wakey ! No more sleepy sleepy! "

We read a comment about slimey pools and dirty grounds..from dawn until dusk, and rain or shine, mainteance was being done from cleaning the pools to pruning trees to raking the grounds. I never seen so much as a candy wrapper on the grass the entire time we were there!

The food on the buffet was different, and not repetitive. There was something for everyone.

All in all, we had a great time, and met a lot of great people from all over the world! It is by no means a 5 star rating, but the staff are are very friendly, and it was a great stay! I will be booking again for sure!

Oh by the way....it rained every single day we were there...and even when it wasn't raining, the lack of lounge chairs is an exageration! We never had any trouble finding two at any given time!

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2005

My husband and I stayed in the all-inclusive resort from 12/11/04 - 12/18/04. Our room was simple but decorated nicely. What we did not appreciate was the mold growing on the ceiling in the closet, and the hairs in our sheets that did not belong to us. We decided to overlook this and enjoy ourselves. We enjoyed the reservations-only restaurants, and did not even mind getting up in the morning to ensure a reservation. We especially recommend the Chinese & Italian restaurants. (Cauliflower Tempura is delicious!) However, we had a difficult time enjoying ourselves in the main restaurant, where breakfast and lunch is served, because of the great amount of flies that landed on the food and buzzed about our plates. Pancakes for breakfast seemed like a good idea until I noticed dead flies floating in the syrup. The activities during the day were minimum, but sitting by the pool was sufficient as long as the sun was out. When it rained for four days straight, we found that the resort did not have adequate indoor activities. Also, the power and water to the entire resort was out on & off for a few days. The activities staff, along with most of the resort staff, were very outgoing and funny. The night shows were fantastic, I never laughed so hard. The grounds were beautiful and the pool was clean, no complaints there. The drinks were flowing, and for a person with a sensitive tummy, I never even got sick. All in all, it was a good trip, but I do not think I will go back.

7  Thank Sara62202
Reviewed January 9, 2005

this hotel is the worst i ever stayed in,the rooms were dirty and in need of refurbishment,the rooms were not cleaned til late afternoon and no clean towels til 6pm,the food was disgusting often lying around for hours
with flies and insects crawling over the food no covers to protect food,birds flying all around the restaurant,air conditioning in rooms not working properly therefore had wet floors in rooms and very dangerous not enough sun loungers if you dont get up at 6,30am to put your towel out you dont get a lounger,i spent £1200 on this holiday and it was a complete waste of hard earned money.the prices in the shop there was disgusting charging £4,00 FOR A PACKET OF CRISPS they just rip you off DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL

4  Thank Gillcoll09
Reviewed January 6, 2005

I have just returned from a week at this hotel. I paid extra for a suite the most i have ever spent for two people for one week, but i had had a good year. The hotel was listed as four star and so i was looking forward to it.

When we arrived we were presented with a room which was still stuck in the 70's the furniture was in need of repair the bathroom was leaking, the towels had holes in which didnt really start the holiday off well.

The food in the restaurants was below average and the queue in the morning at 7.30 took 40 mins to book the a la carte restaurants (that was if the time share people hadnt already booked them in advance!) I spend my life in queues in London UK and as such i was not prepared to do this on holiday.

The pool and staff were very nice and the grounds were well maintained. I would only give this hotel a 2* maximum.

All in all i would never go back there. My family spent xmas at the hotel next door the Riu Bachata. It was a great hotel and i would advise you go there, much better ambience. (Be careful though there is a tummy bug there at the moment which we have all suffered from!!!)

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member