All inclusive, so we ate only at the resort. We both got food poisoning. I passed out and had to be carried to the doctor's office in a pool lounge chair. Got 2 bags of IV, two shots of anti-biotics and lots of pills. Vomiting was so bad, one of my discs shifted. Once back to Canada, I was off work for 6 weeks and under chiropractor's care for over 4 months.
Constants e-mails, letters and telephone calls requesting a settlement resulted in only an offer of $115. Now, communications are not being returned from the resort, their insurance company and their lawyer.
And none of this even refers to the lack of response to security to get a late-night party stopped (we called at 1:00, 2:00 and 4:00). Apparently some local residents had the room for the night and were celebrating very loudly.
Food was "iffy". We were careful about what we ate. Chicken was consistently undercooked. We avoided sea food unless we could get it re-cooked in front of us.
Management was aloof and non-concerned about our problems.
Book the package on-line. Big mistake. They don't do anything for you and deny all responsibility. They did, however, get that $115 offer from the resort.More
- Free Parking