“AWESOME Vacation!!!”

Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
USA
“AWESOME Vacation!!!”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I read some of these reviews after we already booked here, so I was a little nervous. DON'T WORRY! This resort is beautiful, and huge! The rain in Feb. was a fluke... it happens. I was there, and there were plenty of places to go. Not only that, but your rooms, and especially if you have a villa, are so awesome you could spend days in there and still have a great time. We had a Crown Royal Villa with 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. They came every morning and made us breakfast, booked our dinner at one of many resort restaurants, stocked our refirgerator, and our bar. The maid cleaned every day, and the pool boy cleaned the pool twice a day. The service was outstanding. There is something to the V.I.P. here, so let me help...

BOOK YOUR ROOM THROUGH AN OWNER! That will get you VIP Service, better pricing, better meals, better in-room bar, and lower all-inclusive rates. If you want to take advantage of that, just email me (Penny) at nanakins@comcast.net I can help!!!!

RESERVE YOUR DINNER! Dinner reservations begin at 9:00 a.m.. Call at 9:00 a.m. sharp and don't hang up, just let it ring (they are taking reservations on 4 lines)... someone will answer and you are done. Don't call at 10 a.m.- they make all the reservations between 9:00 and 9:15 a.m. If someone could't get in somewhere, they didn't call in the morning. I never saw a restaurant without a table available the entire time I was there, and I was there at the same time as the one above on her honeymoon.

ROOM BAR & FRIG: Here's the deal, you order your things for the refrigerator and your bar the day before. They stock your FRIG beginning at 11 A.M. If you want more water, pop, beer, ice, etc., tell them then what you want for the next day, or call customer service and tell them. They stock your BAR beginning at 4 P.M., same routine.

GETTING AROUND: This is a very big resort. Even after a week, you might still be wondering which way to go. The SHUTTLE SERVICE is at your disposal. Just call for a shuttle, and they will take you anywhere you want to go. They arrive about 10 minutes after you call. NOTE: Dinner at the restaurants are 6:30 and 8:30 P.M., those are the bust times for the shuttles, so call a little early for dinner- 15 minutes early is more than enough.

BEACH: The beach was beautiful, and groomed. You can walk from the resort for a mile on nice sand. There is a section in front of one restaurant (not part of the resort) that doesn't clean up the beach. It's maybe 50 feet long, but the things that washed up are up by their deck-you don't have to walk through debris. You just wonder why they don't take care of it.

STAFF: Some of the best I have seen. Sincere, warm, and VERY FRIENDLY! This is a well-managed resort. I never once saw anything remotely close to improper. Perhaps someone mistook friendliness for something else.

RCI: If you make an exchange through RCI, a gal named ANDREA will visit you every morning, and help you with everything you need. She is fantastic. She will book your dinners and anything else you need. NOTE: You will pay a lot more for your all-inclusive if you book through RCI. Again, try to find an owner. Just e-mail me at nanakins@comcast.net and I will hook you up.

CROWN VILLAS: I was worried they only had one like the picture. Don't worry, I tried to count, and lost track at 75. They really do look like the pictures, really do have gorgeous private pools, and gardens.... I could go on and on- you won't go wrong.

HELICOPTERS: There are (2) landing pads for the helicopters. One is by the VIP Beach, and one is by a villa. Again, this place is huge, and there are very few places where the noise from the 'copters would be annoying. Just mention when you book that you don't want to be near them.

QUESTIONS: I will be happy to answer any questions you have about this resort. Just email me and I will respond ASAP.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank penpenUsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
manchester
Reviewed February 14, 2009

Oh my god where do we start.......
this was supposed to be our honeymoon, perfect, romantic, luxury, it was far from any of that, the standard of room poor to say the least, the food was shocking both of us got the trots, the resort itself is a TIMESHARE resort we were fresh meat, there is a class system in force to, you see us common all inclusive poor tourists have (YELLOW WRIST BAND), however if your a VIP (GOLD WRIST BAND) upperclass visitor you are royalty, and it realy does make you feel like a 2nd class citizen,
the staff at the resort fob you off if you complain as does the rep they all seem to pass the buck. as for the resturants good luck if you actualy get in the resturants, as they are reservation only and if you not VIP you got no chance its a joke.
i would not reccommend the terrible resort to anyone, i cried 3 times on my honeymoon and it wasnt because i was happy, i admit the weather didnt help as it raining for the whole week we were there but i dont even think that the sun could make this a happy place to go, standards are very poor,

• Liked — the flight home
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed February 11, 2009

If I could give this a 2.5 out of 5 I would. Everything that was good was also bad in some way. My sister and I visited this resort in the first week of February.
The food was delicious, plentiful and beautifully presented but we both got food poisoning and were sick for the second half of our visit. We were very careful not to drink the water so I'm sure it wasn't because of that.
The weather was terrible for half the trip...obviously this is not the resorts fault but there isn't really anywhere to go and not much to do when it rains (and it rained hard) except sit around in your room. There's not a lot of covered indoor space except in the restaurants and they're closed when meals aren't being served.
The beach was pretty nice, but there's not much shelter from the sun or rain. The resort part of the beach was cleaned but if you leave the resort part of the beach there's garbage everywhere. Also we went diving (which was fun and the diving staff are really awesome!) but the reefs were in bad shape and it was sad. I know visiting resorts makes us part of the problem on this one so it made me really reconsider going to a resort again.
The rooms were nice and clean but our shower didn't drain properly and would flood the bathroom if we showered for more than 2 minutes. We had a really lovely view though of the ocean and the mountains though and the landscape was really lovely.
The staff were almost entirely super nice, hard working and really pleasant to be around. Most of the male staff flirted with us a lot, most of the time we didn't mind because they were doing it in a sweet, friendly and non-serious manner. There were a few though who hit on us persistently despite the fact that we were obviously uncomfortable. I nearly slapped one of them before he got the hint. Further to this, my sister and I were not there looking to pick up at all (we're married!), we just wanted to dive, lie on the beach and relax. We found the place to be a bit of a meat market and couldn't go anywhere without getting hit on (tourists and staff alike, we called getting from our room to the beach 'running the gauntlet'). Maybe all resorts are like this and I never experienced it before because I was always with my husband but it got really really annoying. Some people are not pleasant when turned down.
The layout of the resort is pretty nice and cleverly designed so that it never seems very crowded and they did a good job of preserving the existing trees by building around them but the stupid helicopter pad is in the middle of the resort and that was really annoying.
The VIP thing didn't bother me at all and no one bugged us about it once though a lot of our fellow guests were quite annoyed by it. I also didn't care that they got benefits that we didn't get as they pay a lot more money. I will admit though that a hot tub would have been nice on the colder rainy days...the VIPs do have these but there aren't any for the rest of the resort...not that big a deal though.
Since I can't give this place a 2.5 I chose a 2 instead of a 3 for one particular event that really annoyed me. On our last day we had to check out at noon but we weren't leaving the resort until 7pm. It was pouring rain, we had nowhere to go and my sister was really sick from the food poisoning. I asked the front desk staff if they had anywhere where she could lie down for a few hours until we had to leave (out of the rain and out of the constant cigarette smoke). They not only said no but seemed completely uninterested in helping us out at all.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank microcat
montreal, canada
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We made our reservation to Puerto Plata via Go Travel direct WILD CARD 4 stars.
Overall, the vacation was great.
Food quality: the buffet was good, lot of choices and something different every evening. We always found something we liked. Food a bit cold, but hey, it is a buffet!
A la carte resto: you have to TRY to reserve the afternoon before and the lady at the reservation office is quite unpleasant, but if you have a problem with her, which was our case... go see the manager! You will get what you want! ;o) They save up places for the VIP's, but the resto are actually half empty!
Room: average furniture, air conditionning working nicely but you can ear everything that is going on outside your room (ear pluggs could helpt you sleep better!)
Beach: It was a deception. The sand is ordinary, the water was ok with mild waves that are not to dangerous for young kids. We prefered staying atr the pool
WE DIDN'T LIKE: the VIP salers, the VIP helicopter that was flying over our head all day long and made lots of noise, the process to reserve the a la carte resto.
WE APPRECIATED: the food variety, the staff efficiency

• Disliked — helicopter, beach size
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank maya_411
new york
Reviewed January 28, 2009

the check in was very smooth and the dominicans are truly a friendly bunch. that's where it ended. i will admit the rooms are clean but the 1st thing i requested was 2 queens and got a king size bed. when you want to eat at the "better" resturants we could not book for the next day because we arrived after 3 pm and that is their cutoff. even when we did get a chance to eat out they never had any space at any other resturant!!
the 24 hours food is false.. i have yet to see decent food 24 hours.
the pool side is beautiful but the water is always cold!!
it rained continuously for 2 days and when their is rain there is nothing to do!!
if you are not a VIP member you are just a commoner. they get treated like kings. it makes you feel like your hard earned money is nothing!! all i hear is "are you VIP??? there is no nite life whatsover and it is very boring.. I had a better time in Punta cana...all in all, got someplace other than Puerto Plata....

• Liked — not much! only the friendly dominicans
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank blimie
ocean city, md
Reviewed January 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here in the beginning of January and had a great time. My brother/sister in law have a time share here and since they had already been, we decided to go as well.

We were a little nervous based on the reviews but we ended up having an awesome time. The resort is nice and the views are beautiful. We went horse back riding at the Hacienda Ranch and it was so beautiful. You have to do this. It is 40 a person and it is worth every penny. The tour guides are funny and friendly and you can either go slow or break off and go for a fast ride. The guy sells the trip around the pool side and it is only a couple minutes away. Everyone we ran into loved this trip too.

Another day we went to Ocean World and did the dolphin swim and sea lion encounter and had a blast. You would never have the chance to do this in the U. S. They have you do the tricks that you see the dolphin trainers do in the shows at Sea World here in the states. It is awesome! The park is small, which is nice because everything is in a short distance to walk which is nice. They have Love Birds that fly right to you and sit on you when you walk into their cage. We speant the whole day there and had a blast. It is definitly family oriented and/or for couples who are active and would like to participate in everything they have to offer. (tiger pictures, dolphin swim, snorkling, birds.) I personally love animals so it was a blast for me and My boyfriend and I totally loved it!

There are plenty of other excursions and places to go. Just go to the logo shop in VIP world and they have everything.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucy1988
montreal
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Where do I even begin to describe this experience I had with this resort. Well first things first, this isn’t the hotel we were suppose to originally stay at. Since are hotel overbooked and let us know 3 days before our departure, we had a couple of choices. Either we were going to get our money back, or stay at this hotel and receive a voucher for a week free all inclusive with blue bay villas either in the Dominican or in Mexico. Still we haven’t received it. (Promised we will get it on arrival to Puerto Plata airport) Arriving at the hotel the staff was generally nice, but nothing more. Are room.. Was small but nice you could say, it mostly resembled a motel room. Had many problems though. Our light on top of our bedroom, once we opened it and closed it, it would flicker for about 2 hours. Not very good when your trying to sleep. Also when you would take a shower. The hot water tap would make a lot of noise. Are shower didn’t have a door, so the water would leak everywhere. The only thing that would stop it from leaking was a small towel put on the floor, by the first shower the towel would be completely wet and it wouldn’t do any good. Even our toilet paper was completely wet once we were done with our showers.
The safe, it should be include in the price, but no we have to pay 20$ to use. The internet that they provide, which is 5$ for 30 minutes, well it just takes about 7 minutes to load one page, so its completely worthless to use the internet. So thing for the phone, you by a calling card of 5$ but have to pay reception 1$ every time you make a phone call.
The VIP…now if you are not VIP you are no one in the resort. You get treated like [-]. If you’re VIP you are able to book in advance for the restaurant a la carte. This isn’t fair to everyone else because by the time you wait in line at 12:30, which they only start taking reservation by 1:00 by 1:05 you are told that the restaurant is fully booked which isn’t very pleasant to hear when you’ve been waiting in line for over half an hour. Half the time the restaurant isn’t even full, we’ve went three times and there were many empty tables. They leave them for the VIP’S and they don’t even show up. On the website they show the beach with the nice beds..Well sorry that’s only for the VIPS. They are treated like royalty compare to everyone else. The beach isn’t that big. You are able to walk from our resort to Ocean World. Which isn’t that far..About a 20 minute walk.
The pools are clean but the water is cold. Only in the VIP section is where they have heated pools.
The food, well I didn’t eat much, potatoes and rice was what I was eating for the entire week. But the girls I had gone with said the food in general was really good. Breakfast was one of their best meals that they severed. The only bad thing I had to say about that was the beacon was either too cooked, or uncooked. The restaurant a la carte are really good, I recommended it to everyone that they should go!
Animals. For some weird reason at the Italian restaurant there were cats everywhere. It was very disturbing and at the beach there were dogs everywhere. Yuck!
The good thing I had to say about this resort is the entertainment crew was great. Every night there was a different show. They got everyone involved which was really nice. You would be lying down on the chair relaxing and hearing the DJ say ‘WAKIE WAKIE EVERYONE’ trying to get everyone’s attention to join in the fun. “CHOCOLATTE” which was their theme song, everyone learned the dance and left the Dominican singing the song. The best two employees from this resort were Pedro and David. (The two bartenders at the pool bar) HAPPY HAPPY. The two friendliest people you could ever meet.
The only excursion we did was going to Ocean World, and I honestly recommend it! Swimming with the dolphins is an amazing experience. It’s honestly really worth it.
Oops..i almost forgot, the stupid helicopter. You wouldn’t be able to fall asleep on the poolside because the noise of the helicopter handling would wake you up. Literally it lands just about 50 feet from you. It becomes very annoying. In one day we counted and it passed 17 times during the whole day. And that is only for the VIP users. So image it annoys everyone but only they are allowed to use it.
All in all I do not recommend you go to this resort. But then again what I say might not change your mind, but once you go and realize it for yourself, you will say that girl from Montreal was right !!!

• Liked — the two bartenders (pedro and david) and the entertainment.
  • Disliked — everything else!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends