“Oh, do stop with the complaining”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Bristol
“Oh, do stop with the complaining”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

I don`t know what all the complaints are about, this is great hotel, lovely location & the staff are superb. Check in very quick, the bellboy told us the layout on the way to our room, which was clean & spacious, with a lovely sea view (which was a bonus). Just tell the V.I.P. salesmen the first time they ask that you are not intersted & they will leave you alone.The animation team are brilliant, they work all day around the pool area & then put on shows in the ampitheatre at night, don`t miss Tuesday night BBQ (weather permitting) they put on a show on a floating stage in the pool, the fire routine is amazing. Pedro at the beach bar (Happy, happy) makes the best drinks & always with a smile. The beach is very clean, the sea warm, a bit bit rough at times but then it is the Atlantic. We actually had 5 days rain, & this we found was to be the only downfall to the hotel, there isn`t much to do if it rains, but yet again the wonderful animation boys do their best to keep you amused. One mistake we did make was to tell the lads at the beach shop that we would probably book some trips with them, bad idea, they remember you & keep on at you to book. Try one of the chefs omelettes at breakfast they are great. We had a great holiday, so if you are going to this hotel, hope you enjoy it as much as we did. If you have any questions we`ll be pleased to answer.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank 0117mazzer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
england
Reviewed November 24, 2008

hotel rubbish, only intrested if you were a v.i.p guest, all they were doing was pumping for you to take out a timeshare appartment they follow you everywhere you go around the hotel eg outside your room,resturant,beach ,poolside everywhere.
food disgusting all intresested in v.i.p guest and foreigners not at all intrested in the english . never in a millon years would i go back there not even if it was a free holiday still wouldent go there.
even had a day at ocean world ,one of the v.i.p sellers recongnised us and still on our backs the whole day we were there.
but i will say the hotel was clean, and nomal staff very helpfull and very freindly.

• Liked — nothing , (coming home was the best bit)
  • Disliked — all of it
1 Thank novdec
North East PA
Reviewed November 23, 2008

Well let me start by saying there is a difference in VIP and non-VIP. When I say there is a difference I mean in options and commodities, but service is is great regardless. With that said, we were here from November 16 2008 till November 22, 2008

Now when when we first arrived (via taxi $50 USD) we were greated right away. They took our bags and walked over to the reception area and while we were booking in, the staff brought us over some cocktails. After booking in, they took our bags and led us to our room. The room wasn't far from reception area and I found it to be nice and clean. The room wasn't the best I have ever seen but I was vacation do-able. The frideg was stocked with beer, soda, and a bottle of wine.

The next day we went off to go listen to the VIP presentation, and we actually purchased it (it made no difference for us, since we already had TAN "Travel Advantage Network"). We got a great deal on the package; way cheaper than anyone on this website is claiming to have paid. Right after purchasing the VIP, they placed gold wrists bands on or arms and we were able to go all over the resort..enough on the VIP stuff..email me if you want to know more about that...(just a hint..DONT purchase the Villas)

The food was okay. The Mexican resturant was in my opinion awful. The Blue Lagoon is a sea food place and it offers great food and drinks. I ordered the lobster and it was great! The buffet bar is alright. They offer an array of food during the day. I liked the breakfast bar were you could go and get a fresh omlett made on the spot.

The pools were great and the swim up bar had stools under the water..it was a really nice setup. The resort is also placed on the best spot on beach. The waves are great and the water is just the right temperture.

Not too many things for young children to do at this resort though. The day time entertainment is pretty weak, but I have to say I never tried to particpate in them either...so I can't really judge them. The night time show I think is really nice and I enjoyed that. They try and get the people in involved in singing and dancing. It was really great and funny. But like I said, this is more for those over 18 yrs.

I must say that if you choose this resort get out and do some of the outdoor activites they offer like horse back or just a tour of the city. You will really get a better feel for people and culture there. They really are nice people.

Overall I would say this isn't bad. It's not the worlds best resort but it's far from bad. It's in the middle and for the price, location, and inclusive..you can't complain! I give it 3 out of 5

• Liked — The location being so close to the beach
  • Disliked — The Mexican Resturant
1 Thank LetzTravelPlz
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed November 23, 2008

Just got back from Lifestyle Hacienda Resorts as of November 22.
We booked through RCI and had a Crown Villa. The Villa itself was nice enough but had problems. Toilets never worked right and out of 4, 3 had to be repaired. The air conditioners in two rooms had to be fixed. The food was OK buy the Casa Blanca food that is the buffet restaurant was repetitive and on the Dominican night the whole pork served was rancid and my wife became ill for the remainder of the trip. The pools, etc were nice, the alcohol flowed and the maid cooking breakfast was great. The entertainment was a joke. Better high school productions. The biggest problem was the VIP scam. We were having so many problems with the unit that we were looking for an upgrade and that apparently is what they counted on. They take you on a walk through and tour then try to sell what has to be the worst vacation plan on the planet. For $80,000 they sell you the privilege of spending another $900 per week to book at their resort or a list of others that was basically RCI. They offer to buy your RCI timeshare then try to get you to finance a package. The people with dealt with were rude. When my wife expressed some concern about the deal they turned their backs on her. They were downright nasty when we refused their wonderful package. I would advise finding some place else.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The VIP scam
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank lleichtman
Reviewed November 15, 2008

3 couples stayed at Villa 23 at this resort and we loved having the Villa.
We rented from an owner Mark Austin and he was great to deal with and everything that he told us we would get, we got.
We were there from the 1st of November till the 8th.

Overall I would have to agree with most of the reviews that I had read that if you are VIP then you will have a good time but if you are not VIP well what can I say, rent from Mark and you will be VIP.

The Villa was incredible and we all loved the fact that the pool was there for us to enjoy 24/7. The resort itself is nice but a bit small. There are some extreemly overpriced shops on the resort but if you walk the beach and hit the street on the way to Ocean World there is a little store there that you can get pretty much anything at a much cheaper price.

The whole time share thing is a bit too much for me. The staff there tries like crazy to get you to buy but the cost is insane and they can't justify it. We sat in the meeting but we got a bit tired with buddy not getting to the point and we finally just told them no thanks and went on our way.

The resort is fairly clean but they are so focused on the Villa's and the VIP's that the rest of the resort seems to come second. There is a lot of construction going on as again they are trying to get more VIP villa's and rooms ready to sell sell sell.

The food....This is the one major bad part of this resort. All 6 of us got sick and not just once. We ate at the buffet and it was not good. I think they are trying to blanket a 5 star over the whole resort and that is not fair. I would rate their food at the buffet and Bellini's at about 2.5
We ate at the VIP Gourmet and enjoyed it and there is a little VIP Cafe that makes some good sandwiches also. You can also get some snacks at the VIP Beach that are okay... I am sure all of you can see the deal here though....VIP, VIP, VIP.

I would not go back to this resort as the food was just terrible. I have been to the Mayan Riviera 3 times and to the DR one other time and I have never gotten sick like I did at this place...too bad really cause the Villa was great!

Tanja

• Liked — Having a pool all to yourself
  • Disliked — The Food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank TanjaB
staffordshire, england
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Hi i went for my holiday on Oct 29th to the 5th November and stayed at the Lifestyle Tropical Resort. Previous to going i regularly checked trip advisor for peoples reviews of the hotel, and was very dubious about going after reading some of the reviews, which were not great the main theme being the cleanliness and the difference in treatment between the V.I.P guests and the regular holidaymakers. I have been to the Dominican Republic before staying on the main complex in Playa Dorada which hosts quite a few hotels and golf course.
We arrived late afternoon at reception to friendly staff and a welcome refreshing cocktail, check in was fast and efficient and we were quickly shown to our room which unfortunately was a double and not the twin requested, i immediately pointed this out to the porter, who immediately phoned reception and arranged for us to change to a twin room with no hassle whatsoever. The room was a typical hotel room, but very clean with 2 huge double beds, coffee making facilities and a fantastic shower. After showering and unpacking we made our way down to the main restaurant where the style is help yourself buffet. The waiters were extremely attentive and friendly, a wide variety of foods and desserts for every taste.
Breakfast was a complete mix, from sausages, scrambled egg, beans to hot pudding, you can go up and have a freshly made omlette made to your specification and have a gorgeous freshly made fruit smoothie. There are 4 other restaurants which you can book a day in advance in reception between 1-3pm, Chinese, Seafood, Mexican and italian. Well worth booking all 4, The seafood was definately the highlight , i had lobster, octopus, mussels etc.. all at no extra expense. We then had a meeting with our hotel rep who advised us on the trips available, as i had already been and been on some of the trips the only one that interested me was the horse riding. This was $52 which we booked , but the rep failed to mention it was a hour and a half journey to get there. We later found there is a man around the pool who books horse riding for $40 and id 5 mins drive away, i must definately recommend this, the treasure cove ranch is superb, Miguel and Mike who do the trips are superb for all range of riders from complete novice to experience riders, we went there twice . Prices for other trips through our rep was: ZIP LINING - $89, OUTBACK SAFARI - $79, MONSTER TRUCK - $85, PARADISE ISLAND- $97, VIP YACHT-$155, FREESTYLE CATAMARAN- $89,
DOLPHIN SWIN-$170, DOLPHIN ENCOUNTER- $120, plus many more trips at various prices, i do still have the price list. The first 2 days it rained, but that didnt spoil the holiday, everyone congregated around the pool bar, some in the swim up and it was a good chance to chat to fellow holidaymakers.
The VIP area is unbelieveable with 4 poster beds on their private beach, i must admit to being a bit jealous but the beach was superb, extremely clean and tranquil.
I must say the Entertainment staff are superb, headed by head of entertainment Carlos, to Blackie, Mr spaghetti and more.. they put so much hard work into the evening shows, it was a shame to see more people not attending. I must also mention Andreas who works the pool bar during the day and David who works the pool bar in the evening, they made our holiday, fantastic outgoing, nothing to much trouble for them and genuinely nice people.
Tipping, well i feel quite strongly on this as the average worker only earns around £20 a week over there. Tips are not taken for granted, but they must surely rely on them to supplement there wages, The maids were spot on and extra towels, water or pop was no trouble. Bar staff fantastic, tempting us to try different drinks and cocktails, so tipping is surely a must when these people work so hard for so little.

Back to basics, a fantastic holiday, looking to book there again for April for 2 or 3 weeks next time. I have stayed in many hotels in many countries over the years from New York, San Francisco , tunisia and i must say this rivaled maybe even surpassed the service and quality i have receieved in so called better star hotels and more expensive ones.
I would definately recommend this hotel to everyone, if anyone wants to contact me for information, please feel free to , and i hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did.

• Liked — Views, staff, quality and variety of service and food!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
10 Thank cookie41975
Bronx, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2008

My husband and I decided to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary at the Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa A.K.A. Hacienda for 8 days. We just got back this Saturday - Nov. 1st. Prior to landing in DR, we decided it would be best to book our transportation with Travelocity. It was indeed a great idea. Upon landing and exiting the airport in DR, a representative from Prieto Tours was already there waiting for us. My husband and I were a bit concerned because we had not confirmed our pick up from the airport 24 hours earlier, as advised. Upon arriving to the Resort, we were greeted by some really nice people and offered a delicious drink. Check-In was quick and we were assisted with our luggages (5 for the both of us) right away. By the time we got settled into our room, we both were glad to have received some assistance w/ our luggages b/c we were placed in Building 5 on the 3rd floor w/ no elevators and a long hallway. Our room was comfy, clean, w/ a balcony, and beautiful views. At one point, we did have a hard time acquiring water for our room. We called the Reception and even spoke to one of the housekeepers but never got our water...However, once we befriended the housekeepers it was much easier to get some assistance afterwards. We discovered that they are bashful, humble, nice, and hardworking women. The resort grounds are constantly being taken care of by the staff. Bright and early as we would walk to get breakfast we would see them cleaning the pool, sweeping, washing, doing all sorts of things to the property.

The one thing that made us feel extremely uncomfortable was the relentless approach of the sales representatives from the V.I.P World & sometimes souvenir vendors in the resort. We were also told that we would be given a gift upon being provided with a tour. Once they discovered that we were not interested in their odd vacation club packages we were found to be not worthy of a gift. My husband and I were determined to not let anyone ruin our stay. Therefore, we refused to accept without remorse anything we couldn't commit to at the moment whether it was a souvenir, excursion, or vacation package in the V.I.P. world....My husband and I made sure they understood that we were not interested after simply saying "No, Thank You." We had similar issues at the beach as well. So to make our stay more pleasing we opted to stay away from the beach and stay mostly by the pool area.

The food at the Casa Blanca Restaurant was the only one included. All the others were A La Carte'. The food at Casa Blanca was above average for the most part even though they could have varied once in a while. We loved their fruit milk shakes during the morning, ice cream during lunch, and entertainment at night. The resort did their best to create themes almost every night at the the buffet restaurant. One night, it was deemed "Dominican Night" where they had traditional Dominican food as part of the buffet menu. They decorated the restaurant with its flag and colors. The cake was a huge and it was in the shape of the Dominican flag. Another night, the buffet menu included "Spaniard Food". Paella was apart of the menu...It was not bad...I just wished they could had removed the eyes from the shrimp...LOL...Other than this, everything was great. Casa Blanca Restaurant also made sure that Halloween was one of their themes. On Halloween night, they decorated the Restaurant and even had the entertainers scaring the guest and their waiters dressed up for the night. The cake was made in the shape of a casket with a skeleton in it. They did their best to be very creative and entertaining.

Their is construction currently taking place in the Blue Lagoon Service, which is out of service and at the Casa Blanca Restaurant, where we would have our buffet meals all the time. However, construction at the Casa Blanca Restaurant did not make our stay inconvenient...The service is exceptional and the waiters are very cordial. My husband befriended one waiter ( I wish I could remember his name), a young guy with such a kind heart. The kind waiter wasn't the only friend we made...The guys who did such a great job entertaining us throughout our stay also became our friends. My husband and I were saddened to hear that they work from 9am to 11pm sometimes 6 days a week. These guys are so hard working and we never saw them uptight or bitter. They always carried a smile with them no matter what. We even gave them nicknames as we continued to socialize and spend a lot of time with them...Barriguita...Spaghetti...Mr. Kanye West...Primo de Spaghetti....& Chiquitin were just some of the many we will always remember....If anyone ever decides to call them by these nicknames, they will probably remember "The Contreras Couple" who were there sharing some really good times with them not too long ago.

MOSQUITOS...MOSQUITOS....Even though my husband and I carried with us mosquito repellant...it was apparently not effective...We still got bit...and more than expected....We came back home and we were still itching and scratching....So whatever you do make sure you get prepared with something much potent than "OFF"....which is what we carried with us to scare them away.

The Excursions we took during our stay at the Resort were the Monster Truck Safari, 4-Wheel ATV, & Ocean World. Our Tour Guide for the Monster Truck Safari - Aneudy was very funny and entertaining. If you're booking this excursion, be prepared to chug a lot of pepsi and rum throughout the ride...but for those who are not drinkers like me...virgin drinks and water is also provided. The 4-Wheel ATV Excursion was another fun and dirty adventure we experienced. If you're booking this excursion, be sure to pack a pair of old sneakers, shorts, t-shirt or no sleeve shirt, a perishable towel, and a camera....This ride is a really DIRTY one...You will be going through rocky roads filled with muddy pot holes of all sizes. If you hate mud, this is not the excursion for you. Ocean World was very interactive....and also very amusing. Make sure you eat before each of these excursions...and carry with you extra change to tip those who deserve to be tipped. You would be surprised how 2 or 3 dollars can make a difference. Tips are considered a highly appreciative courtesy on your part but it is not an obligation. Just remember that it's a 3 world country struggling to make it in the world of tourism, which they are currently struggling in. I can honestly say that we were genuinely pleased with all 3 excursions and brought back so many pics and fond memories from each of them, including an 8x12 pic that was taken amusingly with the biggest seal in Ocean World at the moment for only $20. After seeing the pic, we both agreed that it was definitely worth its' cost...LOL!

Nonetheless, this was a really fun and pleasant experience for both my husband and I. Lifestyle Resort & Spa may need to change and implement things here and there...but overall, it was all the loving people, wonderful views, and experiences that made our stay worthwhile. Would we do it again? Heck Yeah....Would I recommend anyone to go to Lifestyle?...Heck Yeah...Let it be up to you to have all the fun you want and deserve...Don't let no one or anything ruin your trip...If something negative happens...try to find a way to turn in into a possitive. Do your best to relax, soak up the sun, have some fun, and dance or laugh your nights away....You may even try to learn how to do their "Chocolate Dance", which I had so much fun learning and dancing every night....LOL!

• Liked — Cleanliness & Friendliness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple