“This all inclusive included fun!!”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Calgary, Canada
“This all inclusive included fun!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We arrived on a Sunday in time for the welcome party. One of the greatest outdoor parties I've ever been to. Dancing, music, and awesome food and beverage. Accommodation was simple but adequate. Mini fridge was restocked daily. Nightly shows were a little on the goofy side, however I would recommend going to the casino for the show as it was more professional. Food was good. Ice cream at the VIP pool was excellent, similar to cold stone as you could mix in toppings. Pools were nice, make sure your get to the poolside early if you want to claim a cabana for the day. Be prepared for locals trying to sell their wares on the beach. Downside- aggressive time share salespeople waiting for you outside the buffets. Spa was great, had a massage that was wonderful. Took a taxi tour into town. Enjoyed the funicular cable car tour.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kingm14
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
It was certainly our pleasure hosting you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that your vacation experience was a memorable one.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hotel Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kingston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Resort was nice. Weather was gorgeous. Sunny and 80's everyday. People were so friendly and helpful. The activities were a lot of fun and John Cena and his crew were awesome. Alex was most helpful with the scuba and snorkeling group. Great experience

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie D
Dear Debbie
Thank you for your nice comments. It was our pleasure to host you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata and we look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable vacation.
Sunny regards
Hotel manager
Paterson, New Jersey
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I just got back from staying at the The Tropical Lifestyle Resort, for such an affordable vacation, I had a great time (5 days) The beaches were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The food was amazing and I was so pleased by the service. Make sure that your reservation includes VIP, if not it will not be worth it.

I was very happy with my entire vacation, There isn't really any WIFI, you only get some signal on the beach. I was somewhat happy about this because it forced me to leave my iPhone in the room. Make sure you purchase the safe, we payed about $12 USD for our entire stay, it was great to have peace of mind that our passports and phones were safe.

The food is great, I love Dominican food, if you're the type of person that only likes your typical french fries and burgers and American food, DON'T TRAVEL TO THE CARIBBEAN!! Duh! Be sure to bring plenty of single dollar bills for tip, also, try to plan your excursions ahead of time. Luckily, I read the reviews online and was able to avoid the Timeshare Presentation. If you see a guy when you arrive saying that he has a "welcome gift" just let them know that you have a full schedule ahead and don't have time. Basically they walk you around the resort and try to sell you a timeshare, I completely avoided it! The rooms were average, we didn't spend too much time in our room except to sleep. The room is average side and the bathroom doesn't have a curtain so there's water all over the place. They don't do a great job at cleaning the room (the sheets smelled bad) but because we didn't spend any time there we really didn't mind too much. I spent most of my time at the beach, excursions or at the restaurants. They also have shows at night that are pretty entertaining and have an open bar.

I plan on coming back to this resort, unlike Punta Cana, you really feel like you're in the Dominican Republic and get the culture of such a beautiful country. The food, the beach, the staff, everything was absolutely perfect!

Room Tip: Try to chose a room in building 5, the first building is too close to the bar so you might hear the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaolaMaria0219
Dear Paola Maria,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Hotel manager
Greenfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Great vacation!! Amazing resort right on the beach, best weather I have also had during a vacation. Great food and excursions options as well. Every staff member was extremely friendly especially Johnny Bravo!! Every night the resort offered great night life options. Would definitely recommend this resort to our friends and family and will be going back in the future.

Dear Nick,
Sunny regards
Hotal Manager
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Staying at the Tropical in Puerto Plata really exceeded all my expectations! The location was AMAZING!!! I was able to have access to all the hotels within the Lifestyle property and there was always something to do. The beaches were beautiful, especially the VIP sections with the cabanas. Everyone that was part of the staff there was AMAZING. Everyone was happy and willing to help anyone with anything and allow everyone to have a fun time at all times. I especially loved the staff that worked as part of all the entertainment... Coffee, Moskito and Jose to mention a few. There was never a dull moment when around this staff. This is DEFINITELY a place I will visit again! Thank you to everyone who made my vacation special!

1 Thank Annaluv143
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Anna,
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Sunny regrads
Hotel Manager
Fenwick Island, Delaware
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

This by far is the worst place I have ever been. We rented 18 days from a "platinum Gold" owner. We arrived and were taken to VIP services (this is a joke). We went to the buffet for dinner. Is there a word that is worse than awful. This buffet is it. Our first morning we go out on our balcony and are greeted by techno music that plays from 10 in the morning till 6 at night. There are six guys that work the pool. They are offensive. They called me sexy Momma the first day and I lost it. They drink with the guests and flirt with all the women. Our first breakfast again at the buffet was another nightmare. You are greeted by a pit bull who comes at you the minute you walk in. He is there to sell you the vacation club we said no. The same man greets you every morning. We tried being polite. I finally yelled at him in a loud voice "I hate this place". There is never bacon, butter or for the most part the buffet is always out of food. We arrived back at our room to find we had gotten no reservations to the specialty restaurants. I went to VIP services and were told " owners get priority at restaurants". I was on my way back to the room and fell. I tripped on the uneven flagstones. I cracked a few ribs, and hurt both knees. I didn't go to their health services because I heard nightmares on the plane about them. I got back to the room and got in bed. I spent the day listening to techno music and thinking I was truly in Hell. The next day I swore I was going to make the best. We couldn't sit by the pool because of the Tropical entertainers and music. We made our way slowly to the beach. I have been all over the world. The beaches here are awful. They are full of seaweed and smell like rotting seaweed. We got back to the room and decided we would try to get in to a Speciality restaurant. I have to tell you we got in by paying the manager. Here again the food in these restaurant are not good. That night we went back to the room and in the middle of the night my husband got up and fell flat on his back. I got him to bed and he spent the next two days in bed. I went to VIP services and told them what happened they couldn't have cared less. Forget room service. I spent the next two days getting food from the buffet from Hell. They never did get the problem fixed we had towels permanently on the floor. I might as well say right here there is no hot water it hoes from luke warm to ice cold this is all the time. We had two days that went pretty well. I then started hearing about people being very sick. I started that night with stomach cramps vomiting and all of the nightmares of dysentery. That lasted 36 hours. I thought I was going to die in this nightmare place. I never ate anything else there that wasn't packaged or could be peeled. I met two couples at the pool that day. They had rented for a week and hated it so much at Lifestyle they were paying $2000.00 to fly home. The wives said they didn't care how much it cost. I went to the VIP services and reminded them again that we were both injured, but wanted to try to go to the Sunday night party. I said we would PAY to have someone take us in a golf cart. I was told the golf carts were for "members only". I was told we could buy a membership. I started laughing. You must keep in mind if you are a renter or guest of an owner that isn't there you will be treated like A stepchild. The funny part about all this is the owners can rent the units with no cost to them. The idea is that your renter will buy and keep the pyramid going. Some buy when they are there. I am sorry yo say it like this, but if you have never been to a resort like this or traveled much you could be sucked in. I notice that a manager answers some of these reviews. I wonder where the managers were during my 18 days of Hell? I was so happy the last morning and got to leave. I wouldn't go here if someone offered it free. Keep in mind the owners are doing reviews on here they need to keep the wheel rolling and get more members.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leisuresusie
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed February 27, 2014

the resort is well maintained and actually quite beautifull. I stayed at the tropical from feb16- feb 23, at the start I thought I would like to come back next year, the reviews about no hot water, true, the reviews about the food not being that great is true. I am not a big fan of salt water so a beach is not important to me, but for you beach lovers you may be disappointed. Sundays they have a welcoming party that is completely chaotic event. The worst part of this trip was the dysentery or infectious diarrhea, this is very real problem at this resort, with a group of 38 over 1/2 of us had the virus to varied degrees. It turns out of friend of mine was at resort during the same period. His group of 30, all were sick. When you get confined(frequent potty stops) to your room you find the lacking services. TV's are antiquated, room service was provided, but they would promise to come back with water for the coffee makers or towels and or wash cloths and would never return. I can live with all of the problems with the exception of the infectious diarrhea, a warning of this potential problem may have altered my eating and drinking habits, and or my decision to visit this resort. I will not go back to the any lifestyle resort and maybe not the Dominican at all. I have travelled extensively all over the Caribbean and Mexico and I have never had a problem. I don't drink alcohol, but this is where they are at their best, serving drinks.

Room Tip: I had a corner room by the lobby, so it was actually quite noisy. many of the shuttle bus and vehicl...
4 Thank bobk54
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Bob,
Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences with us. Our ultimate aim is to provide service excellence; our guests’ feedback shifts our focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist throughout our Resort and helps us improve the quality of our services and facilities.
Rest assured that housekeeping and maintenance supervisors have been informed about the recommendations that you have highlighted.
We very much regret to learn that some of your group appeared to be affected by a virus.
Please take in consideration that there are many factors that may contribute to sickness and be informed that Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort observes the highest standards in regards to hygiene and we are inspected on a regular basis by both government and private institutions.
Once again we reiterate our sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have encountered and we appreciate that you took the time to give us your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.
With best regards