“Found new family at Lifestyle Tropical Resort”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Winnipeg, Canada
“Found new family at Lifestyle Tropical Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from 14 wounderful sun filled days at Lifestyle Tropical Resort. This was our second year visiting the Tropical and found it even better than the previous year. The accomodations and the food were wonderfull. The service staff from customer service down to the garden staff were fantastic. It amazed me at how many people were employed by Lifestyles and outside of one or two querks, they were amazing. My hats off to the Animations Crew. People like Koffe, Moskito, John Cena, Jhony Bravo, and best of all our newly adopted son, PUCHI PUCHI. These people made us feel at home on the resort and we are already planning our trip for next year. Great job guys keep it up!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Carlo C
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Carlo,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Sunny regards
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Good bang for your buck. Great times with great friends!! Food is good, beach beds are amazing, everything is clean..big shoutout to jhony bravo - best entertainment guy out there. Got our butts in gear for aqua fitness.... Loved that... Music is always pumping... Atmosphere is great. Good for all ages.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Cocopuffs61
Thank you for taking some time to express your impressions during your stay at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. It was delightful for all our staff to read that you appreciate the service of all of them and the facilities at the resort. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to be able to welcome you back.
Warmest Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Great place service staff was very kind and very attentive. Jhony Bravo especially provided great service and was knowledgeable. Had great shows every night either in the coliseum or the Party location. Gave me a chance to participate and win my wife a nice body massage.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your nice comments. It was our pleasure to host you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata and we look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable vacation.
Sunny regards

charlottesville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and i just returned from a week long vacation at the Tropical. Overall, i was satisfied with our vacation value but there were definitely areas that could use a little improvement. Everything should be prefaced by saying that we only spent $29/pp per night to stay at this all-inclusive resort via cheap caribbean. We bought our airfare separately and saved $200/pp off the package price offered by cheap caribbean. So, our total per person cost for 7 days with airfare and r/t airport transportation was $830/pp. As such, we weren't really expecting luxury. The photos of the accommodations at the Tropical shown on the internet are a "best case scenario." You should anticipate something much more dingy.

Prior to our arrival, i wrote to email address listed on tripadvisor in several treads as being who to contact prior to arrival. We were visiting to celebrate valentine's day and my husband's birthday. I wrote asking to confirm our reservation, request dinner reservations for valentine's day and my husband's birthday, and to ask for a room above the ground floor. This was the first time i've written a hotel to confirm a booking and never received a reply. Neither of our dinner reservations were for the nights i had requested.

Our room was 5138. It was a first floor room and it was dingy and dated. We had one chair in the room and there was a stain on the cushion. The tv was an old-style crt that only had four channels in english and one of those was the continuous loop lifestyles vacation ad. There was a broken and crooked picture hanging on the wall. The mattress was fairly uncomfortable. I could feel the coils/springs when laying on it. One of the pillows was too firm and too bulky to work as a pillow for under my head. The door lock was a quick-set knob with metal key rather than a card-key entry. Our ac worked great and kept our room comfortable during the whole trip. At arrival, there were a few bottles of water, 2 beers, and 1 soda in the refrigerator. The water was replenished but the other drinks were not. The bed was made and towels were replenished everyday.

The bathroom had mildew in the corner above the sink. The sink was poorly designed and the soap would slide into the bowl if left on the rim. I don't like leaving a wet bar of soap on the counter so i ended up using one of the upturned glasses as a soap dish. Incidentally, i couldn't figure out why there were glasses in the bathroom since there's a sicker on the mirror telling you not to drink the water. The shower stall was narrow and when taking a shower, the entire bathroom fills with water because there is no shower curtain or glass door on the stall. My husband and i are small/average sized people, an over-weight person would be very uncomfortable in the shower stall because it was so narrow. In the dominican republic, you're not supposed to put toilet paper in the commode. Unfortunately, there is no bathroom fan so the soiled toilet paper sitting in the trash can be unpleasant.

My husband and i debated staying at Cofresi Palm prior to booking because the rooms shown on the internet seemed a lot more modern and generally "nicer." We decided against staying there because we were concerned about the sewage smell people mentioned. During our stay, we explored the Cofresi side and there is a bad smell. I, of course don't know if you pick up the smell in the rooms but it is definitely pungent outside. If you're deciding between the two halves of the resort, you'll have to choose your poison....dated room or sewage smell.

If you choose the Tropical, the only building i would certainly avoid would be building 4. It is next to the buffet and across the street from the vip tower where the helicopter lands and takes off all day long. From building 5, we had an easy walk to the vip pool party on thur and the vip beach party on sunday.

The food at the buffet is redundant and bland. They literally offer the exact same breakfast every morning. The line for omelets and fresh eggs can get very long. They run out of food and plates and it takes a little while for them to be replenished. Just about everything is cool. Neither the food or coffee is kept very hot. The dinners were equally bland but the food is plentiful. We we never seated at a table that had a full compliment of salad & dinner fork, spoon, knife, and napkin. Everyone appears to scavenge for what they are missing and want/need off of unoccupied tables.

With the cheap caribbean package, you are only given dinner reservations for two nights. If you stop by the guest services desk between 2-3pm, you can try to add reservations if there have been any cancellations. Luckily, we were able to add reservations on valentine's day as well as my husband's birthday. Oddly, on my husband's birthday i went to the guest services office to request a dinner reservation promptly at 2pm and was told there weren't any available because there hadn't been any cancellations. I said we'd be happy with any reservation at any restaurant at 8pm or earlier. I went back around 3pm to try again and was told by a different man there weren't any cancellations. At that point, the first man i'd spoken with told me to wait a minute and he had a stack of reservations sitting on the window sill. He gave me one and sent me on my way. It was interesting that i'd been told there were no openings only to be given one of several that appeared to be available.

During our stay we ate at the dominican (el pinon?), chinese (indochine?), seafood (blue lagoon?), and the international (johnny's?) restaurants. They were all pretty bland. It seems the only seasoning the hotel uses is to add more salt. None of these restaurants were places i would choose to eat outside of an all-inclusive vacation package experience. Of these restaurants, the seafood had the best food but the worst/slowest service. But, it was heavenly to get away from the crowds at the loud buffet and eat in a more quiet atmosphere. With the exception of the seafood restaurant, we received attentive and, overall, very good service. Also of note, all the desserts we ate during our stay were fairly flavorless....don't waste the calories.

There is a lot of mingling of vip and us regular folks at the restaurants. In fact, intimates serves dinner out of the blue lagoon seafood kitchen. Based off my dining experience, i honestly don't believe you get a whole lot better dining experience by upgrading to vip. I suppose the real advantage is that it's probably a whole lot easier to get more than two dinner reservations during your vacation. I don't believe that the vip restaurants are offering a hugely upgraded dining experience....i think the upgrade is the air conditioning, premium liquor, and the sense of being set apart from the proletariat.

These are all the ways in which the Tropical is entirely and completely average. It's a solid 3-star facility.

The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. As previously stated, there is a sewage smell on the Cofresi Palm side of the resort but there are no similar issues on the Tropical side.

It's "stand-out" is the entertainment. We attended the thur vip pool party and it was really over the top. As soon as we walked in, Wilson seated us and kept checking on us while we watched the show. There were some amazing dancers (both male and female) festive costumes, huge screen tv's, drinks, music. Wow.

Sunday night is the vip welcome party and it was more of the same "over-the-top" production. Once again you get dancers, costumes, huge screen tvs, drinks, music, and fireworks. Wow! It's also the night of the huge buffet with lobster and everything else the resort offers as food options. It seemed like all the restaurants bring all their top offerings and serve it buffet style.

It was a little overwhelming and i would actually offer a few suggestions for improving the experience. Don't get me wrong...it's definitely over the top and is meant to be a marketing tool. As such, it would be nicer if there were a little more space between tables. It's hard to move around and for the waiters/waitresses to bring drinks to the tables since it's set up like a skinny person maze. Johnathan was our waiter that night an he did a great job. Also, it might be better to have a more limited selection and place the most popular items (like the lobster and steak) near the outside/front of the tent so it's easier to find and the lines don't cause a traffic jam in the tent for people trying to get to the veggie dishes. Those would be my two strongest suggestions to really knock this event out of the park.

The other strong point for the Tropical is service. The waitstaff is amazing! When i go to an all-inclusive, i bring $100 in ones and $100 in fives for tipping. You get a whole lot of great service for just a few bucks extra. Americans stop being cheap-skates when you travel abroad! Tip the bartenders, waitstaff, and housekeeper and you'll promptly get service.

In fact, i had the strangest service experience of my life. During the sunday party, the toilet facilities are porta-johns. There was a woman who greeted me at the porta-john, escorted me to one, opened the door, sprayed cleaner on the seat, wiped it down with toilet paper, and then sprayed air freshener. I never even had a concept that a porta-john would include any soft of personal service. I gave her a tip and you should too.

There were a number of things that felt awkward, frustrating, and just plain bad. First, this place is filled with cut-throat americans. People are in line to get beach beds at 7:30 for the 8am opening of the vip beach. There were people literally RUNNING to get the front swing beds. On my husband's birthday, i went down to the chaos to make sure we had a shaded beach spot for the day. When i laid my hand on one of the swing beds, the woman who'd claimed the one next to me literally threw a towel between the curtains to lay claim to TWO! I looked at her and said, "You've got to be kidding....you're claiming TWO beds!!??" She replied that she was with another couple and i told her, "Well...then of course you should have it despite the fact today's my husband's birthday and i'm actually standing here." I will admit it, i called her the mother of all dirty names and found a different bed. I didn't feel like fighting a battle over a beach bed. The overall beach bed scene is BAD. People leave there stuff sitting on unoccupied beds for most of the day. It's rotten selfish behavior and it's common at this resort.

During the sunday welcome party, there was a line to get in and it felt like a black friday sale. People wander into the staging area and try to cut in line. When they finally open the venue, people rush over to the food like they've never eaten. It's sort of embarrassing to think about how they/we must appear to the dominican workers. People were taking 3 and 4 lobster each, shoving, cutting in line, grabbing food with their fingers, and generally being ugly humans. I'd asked one of the entertainment guys about what time the party started and he told me 7pm and said, "but you should go at 7:30." After seeing what was going on, i wish i'd taken his advice.

My husband and i talked about this awful sort of behavior and tried to understand where it may be coming from. The only thing we came up with is that perhaps people are feeling some sort of scarcity. That perhaps in the differentiation between vip and non-vip, there's a sense of wanting to literally grab some of an upgraded experience. But, it's even more pathological than that because a lot of people at the resort are actually wearing vip bracelets. I couldn't figure it out and have not had similar experiences at other resorts.

During our dinner at Johnny's, there was an american guy having dinner with two spanish speaking women. They knew no english and he knew no spanish. He was entirely obnoxious, loud, and demanding. I can not be certain but i assume they were prostitutes; otherwise there's no way to explain why two quiet women would be having dinner with him. He kept telling them they were vip and that he's vip and they can have anything they want. He kept demanding more rounds of vodka (which he consistently mispronounced as "vaka"). The serves kept bringing him drinks. When my husband left the table for a moment, i literally pushed our table another foot away from him. Everyone, near him finished their meals early and left. Upon leaving, an older couple who observed me move my table came over to say that they'd (the guy and 2 women) been in the vip pool throwing back shots all day and pawing one another. She said she was "old fashioned" and just doesn't want to see that sort of thing.

On the beach i saw a white man with a large round tattoo in the middle of his chest just below his collar bone cajoling in the surf with 3 young girls. One looked like she may have been 18 (at most) the other two looked like they were probably 13 or 14. I observed him peek into one of the younger girl's bikini bottoms when he was holding her while she floated. The older looking girl kept going under the water immediately in front of him and maneuvering all around him. When he eventually got out of the water, she appeared to be washing between her legs in the shallow water. I was pretty stunned. I reported the guy to security the next day but that was our day of departure. Security seemed authentically interested. Please be for-warned that there may be people engaging in sexual tourism at this place and report them immediately if it appears to involve under-aged girls.

As for the timeshare pitch, they grabbed us the first morning we were there to drag us to the vip tower for our tour. We were driven around the property and shown the newest villas. The total duration was around an hour. We expressed no interest and got the quicky. Generally, the best strategy is to simply not talk, make them ask you questions, and never ooo-n-awww at what they're showing you. Be detached and they'll drop you off quickly. We figured there's no escaping the tour and after our less than interested encounter, we never saw them again.

A woman we met said she had spent about 4 hours on the tour seeing all the assorted options. The low-entry price point is $25K and goes up from there. I think the next price points are $50K, $80K, and $100K. The villas start at $2000/wk plus a per-person fee. Her husband was a lawyer and wanted to see the contracts associated with the timeshare and they refused to show them. They also refused to tell him how much it would cost to become a "shareholder." It seems highly suspect that they refused to show someone who's trained to review documents how it all really works and how much it all really costs. Buyer beware!

Overall, it was a good vacation value for the money spent. Keep your expectations in check and you'll have a good time.

Room Tip: Avoid building 4
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank oriahlee
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers. Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our property and services and for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Yours Sincerely,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was my first time in the dominican republic and i had to say that i loved it there! i didn't want to leave . All the workers John Cena, Taivis, Coffee, Moskito, Puchi Puchi, they are all very kind and nice people. They really know how to get everyone dancing and to have a great time. Im a shy person but they got me dancing and even got me to go on the stage and dance too. They get everyone involved and they know how to make a boring day an amazing one! Cant wait to go back to the resort and experience all of this and see them again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
It was certainly our pleasure hosting you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. We passed your nice comments to the rest of the team, espacially to the mentioned ones!
Thank you for making Lifestyle Puerto Plata the preferred resort for your vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Some background details: I recently stayed here for 4 days for a friend's wedding. At this point I have been to 5 different all-inclusive resorts around the Caribbean and Mexico. This was my first Dominican Republic resort. I traveled alone for this event. I booked though cheapcarribean for this stay. I usually rate 1/2 a point higher than deserved.

My arrival was rather uneventful, got off the bus and checked-in. The front desk had a mix-up in their records and showed I was booked for 7 days which was wrong it should have been just 4 days. I had to show my printed reservations from cheapcarribean for proof. It was at this point I could tell customer services was not going to be their strong suit. O'well, I was traveling by myself so I just defaulted into vacation mode and dealt with certain disconnects.

The resort appeared adequately clean and landscaping was adequately maintained. My room was clean, the bed was adequately comfortable. Notice I used the word adequate three times.

The staff: In general, most of the staff were just there going through their daily grind, not inspired to say hello or willing do anything to make someone’s trip any better. The exception were the bartenders which is normal at any resort.

The food: So I didn't go through any "traveler’s discomfort" from the food, however, the food was below par ever by all-inclusive standards. I'm an experienced traveler and love authentic cuisine but in this case, everything was either bland or forgettable. Even the Dominican themed restaurant (which required reservations) was a let-down. I ordered a simple steak and it was easily the blandest and toughest steak I’ve ever had. No hyperbole, just bad.

The beach was small and narrow with not too many beach chairs on it. Also, the water had a pretty big drop-off after 20 feet in. This is one of those places you go if you enjoy the pool more than the beach. I’m not one of those people.

The management staff needs to be more accommodating and flexible rather than by-the-book and uptight.

There isn’t really one single thing at this resort that separates itself from hundreds of other mid-rated resorts. When I book my June trip, I will be going back to either an Iberostar or a RIU resort where the food is much better and the staff much friendlier.

The wedding was fun and it was great seeing old friends but it was funny, my reoccurring thought about this resort was “Can’t wait to go somewhere else in June”. Not a ringing endorsement.

Some bullets:
-General WiFi internet was present BUT NOT FREE.
-WiFi is managed by a third party near the front of the resort BUT ONLY ACCEPTS CASH (USD for that matter).
-BRING CASH; ALL 3 ATMs were either out of cash or out-of-order and the front desk will NOT provide cash from your Debit\Credit Cards.
-There is a free WiFi hotspot by VIP Beach

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank hiltinuts2
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata for your holidays and for the time you took to share your comments with us. We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taken into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned. We sincerely regret that, on this occasion, we were not able to fully meet your expectations. Once again we reiterate our sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have encountered and we appreciate that they took the time to give us your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
With best regards
Lowell, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

This was our 1st. time to the Dominican Republic. The resort was beautiful and the grounds are very well maintained and are very pretty. It is right on the ocean with a narrow sandy beach. They do have vendors on the beach which some are pushy but not all. The resort is very very large with lots of stairs, not for the handicapped or people with major health problems while walking. The food was ok, nothing special. Our air conditioner broke and it took them 2 days to fix. With the warm weather it made it uncomfortable and didn't offer us a different room. We would go back to the Dominican but would find a different resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank adventure46356
Thank you for having chosen The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata as your holiday destination.
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.
We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show that your experience is not the norm at Lifestyle.
Sincerely