“Brilliant Holiday”

Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Holiday”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have just come back from 2 week holiday in this resort. I went with my friends and we had brilliant time at this resort. Sun, beach, and absolutely brilliant entertainment. The animation team is the best thing this hotel has, they will always make sure that you have fun and you will never get bored. I would like to say special thank you to Lenny Kravitz, Moskito, John Sina and Cappucino because these guys are sooo funny and they are the reason why I want to go back to this hotel. Big thank you also goes to waiters and bar staff especially to Jose, Marcus in Blue lagoon and Gerson and Andres in pool bar. Service in this hotel is fantastic. And last thing I would like to mention is that make sure you attend their welcome party on Sunday and VIP party on Thursday.

BB

2 Thank Bibi2345
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Bibi,
It was certainly our pleasure hosting you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that your vacation experience was a memorable one.
We passed your nice comments to the rest of the team!
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Thurso, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Spent one week (January 20/January 27 2014) in a villa with a group of friends one which is a member . Loved everything about it . We had vip gold brAclets so we had access to everything . Staff are really nice and always had big smiles( always welcoming ) I feel in love with everything over there . The only disappointment for me was not booking for two weeks haha . With that said two days after being back home I rebooked through a "share" to make sure I get all access meaning I will be vip. So I'm heading back march 3 2014 :) can't wait :)
Ps- staff will probably remember me as " the girl with the red hair OR miss tattoo
See you all soon and keep up the good work

1 Thank Leslie L
Dear Leslie,
Thank you so much for your nice comments which wre passed to the rest of the team, especially to the mentioned ones! It was our pleasure to host you at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata and we look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable vacation on March 3rd and hope you booked your vacation for 2 week this time.
Sunny regards and see you soon
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We were at THE TROPICAL AT THE TROPICAL LIFESTYLE RESORT in Puerto Plata for two weeks, we love every minute of it. We enjoyed the food, the beach, the staff at the animation center were great we had so much fun playing different games with them. we want to say thank you to Melodys, very sweet girl, also Cappucchino, Johny Bravo, George of the jungle,Tiaris, Moskito. thank you for making our days more fun by the pool, we also loved playing ping pong for hours. we were never bored there was always something to do. the place was huge, we like fact that we were allowed to visit different resorts. The entertainment at night was incredible, we loved all the shows and the welcome party by the beach on Sunday WOW...WOW...WOW... was amazing... The food, the drinks, the entertainment, the dancers, the fire works WOW... They really know how to throw a party, there was something for everyone! If u are an active person and loved to party this is the place to go, like I said we there for two weeks and still wasn't enough, we would definitely, go back!

Room Tip: we chose higher floors better view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Patty,
We passed your nice comments to the rest of the team, especially to the mentioned ones!
Thank you for making Lifestyle Puerto Plata the preferred resort for your vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hotel manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Just came back from a two week vacation in Puerto Plata TROPICAL LIFESTYLE HOLDIDAY RESORT.. What a way to vacation. Checking many resorts for prices and what they had to offer, my girlfriend and i decided to try this resort. We were welcomed by a resort greeter, he introduced himself, just to mention his name was Santos Fernandez, as friendly as any one can get. Santos presented us with a welcome gift of a bottle of rum. The following day he gave us a tour of the resort, unbelievable how big this place is. In a golf cart we toured the whole complex, stopping at different food stations and bars on the way, from oysters fresh out of the shell to the best rums of the island.The complex has a whole bunch of Restaurants we visited and tried out the food, all to our likings. In the evening they had spectacular shows at the colluseum, an out door theater. Every Sunday they have a wellcome party for all guest, here they serve food, some I never had in my life, smoked venison, fresh seafood, oysters, lobsters, jumbo shrimps, all different foods, soups desserts and what ever you could think of they offered to us. Outside they had a big stage with 4 Extra large TV screens, dancers entertainers, a firework and of course waiters serving any kind of drink you desired. So, who ever reads this and wants to spend some fun time, go to this resort, a wonderful beach and not to mention an unbelievable amount of swimming pools, mornings and afternoon entertainment. Restaurants buffett style during breakfast and lunch and dinner, but also specalty restaurants all over the place. You must go and see this place all inclusive for two people I spend only $3,100.00 including a flight with Jet Blue out of JFK. Tell me where else can you get such a deal? If you go, make sure you see Santos Fernandez, he will give you the best tour and the welcome package, with a large bottle of rum.
Ok all places have a negative report as well and that is for non smokers, in the outdoor teather, is smoking allowed in all seats, this will be changed I was told and areas will be designated for smokers only. So, what are you waiting for, go for a week or two, I know you will be back again, we have met people who go there for more than 20 years and every year it changes and gets bigger and remodeld. Oh to mention you get picked up at the airport at no charge. HAPPY VACATIONING!!!!

Room Tip: I must say all rooms are clean big and air conditioned, we stayed at a Junior Complex, two large twi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heiko112
Dear Heiko,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again!
Sunny regards
Hotel manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I awoke with a start. I was on the second leg of my trip home from Puerto Plata to San Francisco, CA, 50,000 feet above Lincoln, Nebraska, and the feeling was unmistakable; I was about to be very, very sick. I rushed to the lavatory as quickly as I could but, sadly for my seatmates, not as quickly as that which was inside me rushed out.

I was returning from a five day stay at The Tropical at Lifestyles and, doubled over in excruciating gastrointestinal distress while bodily fluids spewed forth from both ends of me, there was no doubt in my mind that the food there was the cause of my midair, vomit covered plight.

We hadn't headed into this vacation blindly. We'd read the reviews here on tripadvisor and other sites and found a few videos on YouTube. We weren't expecting the Ritz Carlton. When there was no hot water, we laughed it off. We brushed our teeth with bottled water. We shrugged at the stray insects we found wandering through the room from time to time. We ignored the fact that no door inside our suite, including those to the bathroom, would close properly. We're not fussy people.

When one of our group spent her second night there up all night retching and her third day there bedridden, I secretly wondered if she'd had too much to drink or if her vegetarian diet caused her to lack the intestinal fortitude the rest of us had displayed up to this point. She considered seeing the onsite doctor but, shockingly, this would have incurred a significant additional charge. Already now stuck paying for food she would refuse to eat the rest of our stay, she decided to forgo the doctor's visit.

For the rest of us our trip went on without a hitch. We ate, we drank, we got plenty of sun. The staff was perfectly lovely though you need to be mentally prepared for constantly being sold to. Excursions, tchotchkes, the timeshare - it's always something. Still I had a great time thanks to modest expectations and great company.

But that was before the other shoe dropped,and now it was dropping (and how) in an airplane restroom the flight attendants would soon have to mark as "out of order" for the extreme bio-hazard it posed to my fellow passengers.

Fortunately I returned home a few days before I had to return to work and two days worth of Gatorade, Cheese-Its, Imodium, and Pepto-Bismol got me close to feeling like myself again. I unpacked but my clothes had picked up a strange odor while at Lifestyles (I suspect some kind of septic issue, as the other side of the resort, Cofresi Palms, had an at times overwhelming sewage-like odor too it)

I decided I had to email the resort and that our food poisoning needed to be addressed in some way, shape, or form. I sent a message via their website and received no reply. I forwarded on the same email to an employee I'd had contact with prior to our stay. Again, nothing.

I was upset to have gotten so ill as a result of my stay but more upset still to not receive even the slightest of apologies from the folks at Lifestyles.

I can only assume that this happens so regularly at the resort that they've stopped addressing complaints of severe food poisoning with even so much as a form email.

5 Thank MattVBraun
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Mr. Braun,
Thank you for choosing The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata as your vacation destination and sharing your experiences with us.
We are glad to learn that in general you enjoyed our services and facilities .
Unfortunalety you posted at the moment when I was sending the aswer regarding your letter.
As mentiond in my answer: We truly regret that one of your friends arrived sick, another became sick during and you after your stay with us and we hope that all of you are better by now. We wish to reiterate our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have encountered and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Please feel free to contact us, in case you decide to visit us again.
Yours Sincerely,
Portland, Maine
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We are here in the resort still, have been for a week and even though it is snowing at home WE CANNOT WAIT TO LEAVE HERE!!!! Food is the worst we have ever had at any resort. I am starving and if you want food good luck because it is not ALL INCLUSIVE its a scam! You eat where and when they tell you unless you want food from a buffet every single day! They will not give you soda at a buffet if it isnt a certain time in the day! 19 PLACES TO EAT IS A LIE. I feel like no one cares about accomdiations or helping when people are upset. One out of every two people we talk to have been either sick from the food or they are complaining about their DIRTY ROOMS. If you are looking for a good vacation ALL INCLUSIVE. I highly recommend trying another resort. Our A/C Dont work most of the time. Our vacation has BEEN HORRIBLE ALL AROUND. Well of course besides the beach, pool and drinks!!!!! NO UPGRADES FOR MONEY, NO ENTERING BARS, FOR MONEY AND NO ENTERING 16 OUT OF THE 19 PLACES TO EAT FOR MONEY THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I will not return ever again!!! I own through Interval timeshares and I am disguested at this resort...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jsinbot
We truly appreciate your comments and all the information shared. It is a pity though that we did not have the opportunity to meet with you while you were at the resort. Some of the highlighted points in your comment could have been rectified or explained during your stay and many others are now impossible to corroborate. We are sorry that you feel the services and facilities were not up to your expectations, however, we feel confident that we provided all services and amenities as described on our website and publicity material.
With best reagrds
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Wow what a vacation. My husband and I just got back from The Tropical and I must say it was not what I expected. For the price and some negative reviews I have read on trip advisor I must say they almost convinced me not to go. The food at the buffet was amazing(casablanca). The drinks were giod as well. Just wished they had premium liquor at the bars. But you do get to enjoy premium drinks at the welcome party on sunday nights and at the VIP party on thursdays. So definitely try to book your trip to fit those two evenings in your package. The entertainment was amazing. The outfits and dancers blew my mind. The pool entertainment was great as well. Every morning aerobics and activities. Special thanks to Johny Bravo he was so funny and entertaining. My husband and I loved his charisma and enjoyed his mini golf activity. Hope he receives recognition for the wonderful job he does at the tropical. I am very pleased with this resort I will definitely go back in the future.

• Stayed January 2014
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed all our services and facilities and that your vacation experience was a memorable one.
Your nice comments were passed to the rest of the team, especially to the mentioned ones.
Thank you for making The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata to your preferred vacation destination and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another unforgettable vacation with your husband.