“Beautiful cheap place”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Beautiful place to stay in for the budget. Gorgeous VIP beach with swinging beds and jacudzis. Excellent Welcome party on Sunday, nice variety of excursions offered, very good entertainment, shows every night, Good bars, ok restaurants .
Downside- hotel is little worn, needs update. Way too many locals in the resort, people trying to sell vacation club were kind of pushy...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed at The Tropical a couple weeks ago, and it will be a frequent visit for my friends and I. We had the VIP bracelets which made everything that much better. The section next to the beach reserved for VIP has mattresses set up with white sheet canopy's to give you some shade. We spent a lot of time lounging there during the day. The beach was amazing, nice sand and not overwhelmed by locals trying to hock their wares.
The food was pretty good, standard stuff at most places. Service staff (Carlos, I wish I could remember his last name, because he always made sure my glass was full) was great.
The entertainment staff was also top notch. John Cena was my favorite. Got to talk to him early on and every time he saw me he came up and said hi, really made the whole experience feel more personal and fun. He was great on the mic too at night, although he was only up once that I saw. Really clear, and really got the crowd involved. When he wasn't on the mic, you could tell he was studying the crowd and got the right people in for the audience participation parts. Seems like a natural. I also heard from others that his water aerobics was pretty fun too, but I think any lady watching him would be having fun.
All in all the whole experience was amazing and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had the pleasure of returning to the tropical at lifestyles for 2 weeks this month. No other resort can compare. The cleanliness of the rooms, great food at all times with so many choices and variety, all the of beautiful beaches with food and drink service, and with so much entertainment and activities you could never be bored. The staff and crew that organize these are simply amazing. They put so much time and effort into making sure every guest has the time of their lives. I had the most fun in the water aerobics with john cena every morning. He is so full of energy and positive energy. In the evenings the shows were outstanding. You could tell that all of the performers gave it 100% each night. I enjoyed the Michael Jackson show which was led by john cena on the mic. He is a pro at entertaining. Keeping everyone involved, laughing, and having an overall great time. Thanks again to john vena and the entire entertainment staff for the best holiday yet. Cheers!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank 416EmilyS416
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Looking at the reviews prior to going Oct 12 almost made me cancel my trip but I'm so glad I took a chance to go see for myself. Had an awesome time and loved the variety of activities, entertainment and beautiful pools. Used a timeshare exchange to book at the Cofresi and was quite impressed with our modern, clean, comfortable room in building 41. However, being on the 3rd floor with no elevator was a drawback but at least I got some exercise.

Didn't like or appreciate being branded and limited because of my dark blue bracelet. Although we were able to go to the VIP beach and pools at both the Tropical and Cofresi, it was a little insulting when I mistakenly tried to enter a certain area and after looking at my band the guy did a jumping jack to prevent me from coming in. Don't know where they got the concept of color coding people but that's the pits and quite an insulting throwback to a time when certain people couldn't go certain places. It really gave people the feeling of being branded and looked upon as the have's and the have nots or second class citizens because they didn't have a black or gold band. Instead of having to buy a time share to upgrade perhaps it would be better to give people the options of upgrading to the VIP status (black or gold band) by charging a little extra. Most would be glad to do that.

The other drawback was the FOOD, come on people...you're making enough money so you can and should do better. The casablanca and the pearl restaurants were quite disappointing and a poor excuse for a breakfast buffet. If not for the omelettes, I would have skipped breakfast altogether. Lunch was marginally better but I didn't have the nerve to try dinner at either place. We were allowed to go to some of the restaurants which were passable at best. Crab cakes at "seafood" restaurant were a disgusting mush of a breaded something. Whatever it was, I sent it back for something more recognizable, like the tiny shrimp appetizer. And although on the menu, no scallops were on the premises at a couple of restaurants.

My timeshare is paid for and I'm close to retirement so I have no reason to buy another timeshare but would have gladly paid extra to have additional options, especially for food. However, despite the food and being "branded" I would still go back mainly because of the beautiful beaches, scenery and their great entertainment staff.

Enough cannot be said about the lengths the entertainers go through to make sure everyone has a great time. John Cenna (best body on the beach), Lenny Kravitz, Superman and the others including the crazy guys in the crazy costumes entertaining around the Cofresi pool kept a smile on everyone's face. We also got a great, relaxing massage at The Metamorphasis Spa. Kudos to them. Overall it was great, would be more than willing to go back especially if they take heed to the abundance of negative reviews and do something about the food and make changes to that whole bracelet system and treat all their guest as valued customer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just returned from our holiday in Dom Rep, we stayed at the Tropical Resort, Lifestyle holidays vacation club. Everything was great especially our Water Aerobics classes, “Johnny Bravo was one of best entertainers!!!” He made us laugh till we cried during our water aerobics classes. Well Done Johny, cant wait to come to your classes next year, thanks for making our holiday exercise lessons great fun.

Johny deserves 5 stars and more.

Joan in United Kingdom

Room Tip: Any of the accommodation
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a great time at the tropical loved the food and all the activites they had especially johnny bravo he made all the activities fun!!! Also the rest of the guys were great i loved the michael jackson show at the colessum and most of all the african show because me and my husband had the chance to participate and it was so much fun!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The entertainer at Lifestyle Tropical were excellent. John Cena's water aerobics class was a great workout. Lenny Kravitz's Spanish lessons we muy bien! The food food was great. Their pools were awesome. Overall it was a great honeymoon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple