The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed October 18, 2013

for an all inclusive..this was real good...the lunches and dinners were good....the breakfast buffett poor...not crowded at 8am ...out of lots of food, only one egg cooking line,,,need to improve this...also no scallops at the blue lagoon for dinner....the restaurants were good...the food not fantastic...the vip beach bar super...nice beach, great beach mattresses,etc....the pools plentiful throughout the property...I would go again....ocean world casino, just a shuttle ride, fun and clean...all in all...a good time to get off my boat in Luperon and spend some time at a resort...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Herman B
Write a ReviewReviews (4,878)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My best advice...Don't not book through Cheap Caribbean to go to this resort. The other reviews about the bait and switch are completely true. Only go if you know for sure you will have a black or gold bracket. They do offer you a welcome breakfast and tour, but it's a tour of their vacation club offices and unless you buy into the club right then you have no options of upgrading. It was explained to our group by a salesman that booking through Cheap Caribbean gives you a taste of what you could have if you buy into the club. The taste is not impressive! The resort as a whole was clean, and the people that worked there were so friendly but the food was mediocre at the buffets and having a blue bracket meant we could only have so many reservations for the restaurants which were just ok, Blue Lagoon being the worst! The room was clean but not updated which did not bother me. What did bother me was we had no hot water for 6 of the 8 days we were there and randomly the water didn't work at all. We also meet 3 different couples that had their rooms broken into, which was a major concern. The safe in our room was not very secure either. The beaches and pools were very nice although the main pool at the tropical was closed so that was disappointing. The best features at the resort were the pool guys at the Tropical and the Thursday and Sunday night party's. Both parties were a big production of great music, dancers, beautiful costumes and a few extra unexpected surprises. They really go the extra mile to entertain you. Overall I was not impressed with the Tropical.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank MrsDR_BW
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My first time in the Dominican Republic and I would like to say, My wife and I loved it. The Tropical made sure we were well taken care of. We tipped a lot because of the great service. It was a shame to find out non-USA tourists don't tip. Shame on you because they deserve it. We ate like kings there as well. If I get the extra money, I would buy a Villa. I want to take my entire family there next time. We will do more excursions the next time because we wanted to see and enjoy everything at the Tropical first. We miss the place already. I thank people like Jhony Bravo who made you feel at home. We thank all of you guys tremendously. We are already looking forward to our next vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RonandNilda
Reviewed October 17, 2013

When we checked in, our first room was had no hot water, the shower head was broken and only dripped water; there were no wash cloths; and the mattress was very uncomfortable. We were moved and the second room, again, had no wash cloths, and we had to request them again. Water dripped from the bathroom ceiling due to condensation from the air conditioner; the mirror had rust or paint on it; the shower was a hand held shower; and the most appalling thing of all was when I woke up on Friday morning, there was some type of big bug in the bed. I put it in a plastic bag and took it to the front desk to show them. Our refrigerator had one bottle of water in it and we were told that they only stock them on the first day you get there. Well, of course, we moved to another room on the second day and that refrigerator had that one bottle of water and we did not get anything else. However, there are some good things about the resort--first and foremost, the staff are excellent; the entertainment is great, especially the Michael Jackson show; and the restaurants, if you are able to get a reservation, are good. The VIP beach with the hot tubs is also nice.

Room Tip: Building three is close to the Casablanca where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GMAC713
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I took 5 other couples with my hubby and myself in May 2013 (Sorry it took me so long to post the review). Anyway we had an absolutely fantastic time. We got 2 three bedroom Villas. We had top notch restaurants every evening and my friends loved the resort. I am planning to come back with more friends in February. Loved, loved the resort. We even traveled back to the airport via stretch limo. A perfect topper to a fantastic trip!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia W
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Excellent time, the accommodations in the Tropical were out standing. We are members and brought 8 friends my daughter and fiancé. They were amazed. Food has not been matched my any other resort we have stayed at..I recommend the Jazz & Trapachie !!! VIP staff thank you. Roxanna at Harmony breach what an excellent job dealing with so many people, please ask for her if you visit there excellent job!!!! I thing the resort should do is keep the pool at the tropical open later than 6..I suggest 12am for adult pool swim up bar... Planning our next trip in 4 months..

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Its is what we expected for the price we paid.

Pros-very clean , staff does all they can to help.
The entertainment staff go out of there way to keep people active. Lenny Kravitz is a character for sure.

Cons
If you're a drinker. The booze is bottom shelf , even top shelf at vip beach is bottom shelf.
Food mediocre at best.

Be prepared for the vacation club sell. Go do it then tell them no, and you will be done. If not be ready to be bothered by the white shirts endlessly.

We did the city tour, would recommend that. Gives you a small glimpse of the culture.

• Stayed: October 2013