The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
$160
$155
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$158
  • Breakfast included
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$155
$122
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$167
$125
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$244
$191
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$120
$91
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$200
$119
  • Pool
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$151
$109
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham V Heavens(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$239
$117
$148
5,019 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
Winthrop, ME
Reviewed March 11, 2004

My girlfriend and I visited Hacienda Tropical on April 5 - 12, 2003 (last year). Perhaps due in part to the fact that we have never been on a trip like that before (looking through rose colored glasses as the saying goes), we had a really great time. There were some minor issues with the Resort. Our first room was located on the end of the floor, and on the other side of the wall there was a cleaning closet, so every morning, bright and early, we would be awakened to the sound of mop buckets being dumped out, water running, and stuff slamming around. The AC didn't work all that great, so we peeked into the cleaning closet on Day 2 and noticed that the duct work had come apart from our vent and left a spot that was big enough to stick your head up and look into. I didn't really care, but my girlfriend found that a bit unnerving. We decided to ask for another room, as you might expect, and got moved to a really great room on the other side of the Resort. The cleaning women were very pleasant and brought us extra stuff when we asked for it, and generally treated us nicely. The staff, overall, were all good to us.
The food was real good and offered a large selection. I liked it because there was a lot of "oddball" items that I had never tried before, which I enjoyed trying out at every meal. My girlfriend did get sick at one point, I believe from food at the afternoon snack bar, and was in bed for a good day and a half. But that still didn't bring us down. The weather was amazing and the beach there was pretty decent, although we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. The entertainment was OK. The guys that emceed the nightly entertainment were hilarious and amazed me with their knowledge of so many languages. The biggest bummer was the day before we left, when we finally broke down and went with one of the time-share salesman guys, after he promised us shirts and whatever else. We had resisted him for the whole week, but caved right there near the end. Anyway, as many people know, that was a total waste of time, and went on FOREVER. I think that if someone was looking for a lower priced Resort and was not expecting a 5 - star type of place, that you could have a good time here. It is a busy place, a decent facility, and a beautiful area of the country. I say go for it.
But like I said, we were happy just to be there, which may have overpowered any problems we may have had. This year we are trying Cancun, which hopefully will be as good a time as our trip to the Dominican was. If you have any questions regarding our experiences there, feel free to write a note.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 10, 2004

First, and most importantly - the weather was perfect. Had sunshine and hot weather the entire 8 days we were there (great for early March).

Second, the hotel is NOT 4 stars. Don't let anyone tell you differently. While the grounds are spectacular, the rooms, food, and drinks were not up to par with other resorts I've been to. Our first room had no hot water, barely any water pressure, no working air conditioning, and bugs all over the place. We learned, after talking to other guests, that this was not unusual. After complaining for 2 days, our room was finally switched. The new room was much better, although the air conditioning stopped working 2 days before we left.

The food was not good, although we weren't expecting much. The italian restaurant tried to pass off hamburger helper as Italian food! The buffet is ok, but doesn't change at all. It didn't seem to bother some people. Maybe we were just picky eaters. More variety would have been nice. The reservation system for the theme restaurants was also very strange. You have to wake up and get in line at the front desk at 8:00 in the morning to make reservations for one of those restaurants. If you are there by 8:30, all of the good reservation times are gone.

We were very dissapointed in the drinks. They have trouble keeping them cold. And the fruity, slushy drinks were kind of "milky" rather than slushy. I can't count how many warm beers I got.

Finally, some of the staff was less than courteous. It took forever for us to get them to help us change our room. And it seemed like everytime I had a question for the front desk, they acted like they couldn't be bothered.

All in all, I don't think I would go back. It was a nice trip with great weather, but there are nicer places to go that are just as inexpensive.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 9, 2004

It took us a day and a half to get into our room - we paid extra for VIP...what a mistake! Took me FOUR days to get a pillow! 2 days of no water! First room - the a/c leaked all over the floor - no ocean view, which we paid for, our bar fridge was stocked twice - four whole beers!
No hot water, gave us dirty towels, kept giving us lightbulbs - we never asked for them, staff didn't speak english, the ones that did - they were pretty rude - although I would be as well as everyone who was there was always complaining to them! Rooms cleaned at 5 pm - just when we were heading back from the beach, food was AWFUL! Paid $35 US for a pizza - oh and we had to go to the VIP lounge to get it delivered - the gal in there was amazing - Star, make sure you visit her if you go. Had lobster one evening at the ala carte - yucko - no claws and it was mushy...the buffett - i didn't think it was possible to screw up a bun...i could go on and on, but I will spare you the suffereing of reading anymore of this....whatever you do, don't go! Oh and the one end of the beach - reaked like a urinal...yuck

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2004

Got back Mar. 4/04 from 1 week at this Resort that is over-rated as a 4 Star. First and best of all are The Grounds 5/5, very beautiful and well kept. The Evening Entertainment 5/5 with Lorenzo & is gang, awesome dancers and performers; only problem, we didn?t know that it is always in the Amphitheatre unless they are rained out, then it?s held in the covered dome down by the Snack Bar. The Buffet 2.5/5 has a large selection of food, but it is obviously not prepared very well, 2 out of of our party of 4 were sick most of the time, as were ? the people we talked to. After lots of upset stomachs and diarrhea all you want to eat is fresh bread with a slice of ham, French fries, fresh fruit, or Toast & Jam. Salads are probably washed in their tap water. You can?t have the creamy salad dressings or anything made in a sauce. Eat the roast beef, or pork chops, not the chicken it?s probably been sitting around for awhile. Bring your own Immodium or Tums, etc., one girl had to buy a bottle of Pepto-Bismal about 250 ml. for $12 US. Yikes!! The drinks at the bar were tasty, but then I saw how they washed their glasses, very quickly in dirty soapy water, rinse them under the sink, and then fill it with your drink and serve you----no wonder so many people were sick. The maids don?t clean your room until 5-6 pm. No washcloths, unless you take them off the cart. 2 gals sharing a room were told they only get 1 towel for both. Also, if you get diarrhea hide 1 or 2 rolls of toilet paper somewhere so you get more as it?s only 1ply and very thin. The Beach is pretty good 4/5. Don?t leave your area, lots of locals and dirty area close by. Security at night is good 4.5/5. The facilities in the Room, well, they?re a 2/5. There is no Air conditioning, many of us got Ceiling Fans after we all complained loudly. No Warm Water, only on our last day. The Rooms were pretty clean. Our phone never worked, even after many complaints. The front desk says all these things are being fixed tomorrow. One of our tour guides told us people have been complaining about these problems here since January. Front desk does nothing. Signature Vacations was absolutely awesome, go to the Orientation and if you have a problem go to them right away. They do look after you and go to bat for you to compensate you. All in all, HEY, you?re in the Dominican, Go with Fun Friends, take your card games, take the Jungle Tour---it?s a must, make your own fun and enjoy your holiday. The City Tour was so-so. If you get last minute at a good price and get oceanview like we did, you don?t complain too much. Would I stay there again. No, unless I got a week free, hey I can?t eat there anyway without being sick, but maybe it?s just me, sensitive stomach for badly prepared food.

• Stayed: March 2003
1  Thank EliseAlberta
brantford,ontario,canada
Reviewed March 3, 2004

what a disappointment! I feel so ripped off from this lame resort. i will definitely letting my sales rep. know. we arrived feb2/04. with my spouse and i we had 2 teenage girls that were travelling for their very first time.(they really don't care if they go anywhere at all again) the rooms were requested to be close ..first problem resolved by efusing to put aside. the air conditioning didn't work.we left the balcony door open (no screen) lots of flying bus..toilet over flowed before my daughters ever used it in their room. their shower leaked. we were without a shower almost for 2 days..had to raise a voice. no bank machine and the one we walked to was out of order. the food was just ok...we were suffering with diarrhea,vomiting and stomach ache as well aas everyone we spoke to. i could have sold imodium and made money. I notred the way they washed their tumblers in dirty water by wiggling the around in this dirty water and rinsing them under running tap water then making you a drink..imagine that. getting sick. They emphasize NOT to drink the water . They only give 500ml per person and expect you to refill your wee bottle with water that rarely exhisted in the hallway water coolers and raely replenished ..i bought water several time because when the maid would decide to come around the hours of 5-6pm (while we were getting ready for supper) she would briefly straighten out the room and remove our empty bottles from on top of the fridge.
Hardly get any beach towels..if you were lucky sun loungers were pathetic to have to get up to hold one....this was more work rather than a vacation resort. The room smelt musty /moldy. the grounds were ok.I was not impressed with the time share salesmen "hounding" us on a daily basis. NON motorized water sports...there were non..being repaired we had to purchase the banana boat for any fun! signature vacations should really re think their advertising..as it is misleading and false.. a lady broke her leg on our resort and the people had to DEMAND a wheel chair...i felt bad for their vacation. we did enjoy dave and matties lobster down the beach, the outback adventure and of course sousa beach. Last year at the same time my spose and i went to the Ba'hai Principe in rio san juan and had a perfect trip..what a difference in service, politeness,friendliness and service. this was a below rated vacation.please reconsider you will be wasting your money and your precious vacation time.