The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great holiday!”
Reviewed March 3, 2004

We had a great time, food was excellent, hotel kept very clean.Staff were hard working and cheerful.Slight problem with hot water but they promise they are fixing it (new boiler).The grounds were beautiful.Excellent value for money holiday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed March 3, 2004

Ramada Hacienda very well laid out and gardens gorgeous. Staff very friendly good variety of places to eat there. Unfortuanately suffered and still suffering from upset stomach. Rooms need updating, they smell fousty and damp and air conditioning is not sufficient. Ramada need to invest in new hot water system as at best it was only luke warm and cold most days. On two occasions no water at all. The loo's at the beach bar were disgusting and the gents loo was closed most of the time.

Reviewed March 1, 2004

Hotel was lovely, views were out of this world Went there for two weeks, no hot water at all. Got moved three times and ended up in one of their villas/ suites. The food upset us and we waisted a couple of days being sick. It rained for about four days.........Tropical storms are just the best. Nothing to do there and the entertainment was toilet. Very upsetting as it was my present for my 30th birthday. Still we enjoyed our quality time together and tried not to get too upset by the arguements with the staff there. We went on a great horse riding trip.......Well reccommended!

Reviewed February 28, 2004

I have travelled quite a bit and this is definately not a 4 star hotel.
It is on beautiful grounds and the beach is quite nice but it does not warrant 4 stars. The food was o.k. but it left my boyfriend and I sick most of the week, as was most of the guests. Our rooms weren't cleaned until supper time and we went without hot water for most of the trip.
Most of the people from our hotel were disappointed with this hotel.

Reviewed February 25, 2004

No hot water for entire week. Air conditioning did not work. Rained 5 out of 7 days, the only smell from the rain was the overflowing sewage. Buffett gave enire hotel food poisoning. Could not get towels or a wash cloth. Only comment from the staff was "One Momento". Nothing was ever taken care of. Electricity kept going out and when it came back on, there was no water. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy! Whale watch was 8 hour drive by bus, 90 min. in the water. 2 boats out together, did see whales, but the other boat sank. Saffari trip, small waterfalls, you climb in horrible conditions, one woman fell and broke both legs.

Reviewed February 22, 2004

I got back about a month ago, went from Jan.17-23... the weather was gorgeous... so gorgeous infact I didn' t put on enough sunscreen and wound up a little puffy... like my face swelled. SO for anyone who is going don't forget to put on sunblock, even if you tan real well all the time... So anyways, the trip was amazing, I met a ton of fun people, and dispite my face swelling, and plumbing disfunctions I HAD A BLAST!!! FYI Pina Colodas have a natural laxitive in them... bring Peptobismal. The animation staff was great, I have even joined Salsa lessons due to their inspirations... I also can't wait to go back, I am thinking Octoberish... but the nightlife is great, the daytime was a blast by the pool, and I met a ton of special people I will never forget. My best advice is get drunk, get involved, and just relax. When you expect too much you will be disappointed... with anything. Also, the staff is nice, so be nice back! And beware of the sand flees, they are about as annoying as mosquitos.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2004

Not a bad place to visit , but never stay there again. Try no hot water , maby warm at best. There seems to be a shortage in most items ,like beach towels for one, lounge chairs are second & you know how people put their belongings on chairs to save them each morning , i watched a sucurity guard steal chairs on the middle level & carry them down to the beach for a few dollars tip ! I'm not kidding ! With 80 per cent Canadian you would think someone would order a tea canadians drink, there's "NO" Red Rose or salada at this Hacienda ! Bring your own , well never forget that again ! Food-- chicken was good however they served it , omlets are your best bet ,The Chinese restaurant is fantastic, we were alowed two al la cart nights , but missed out on the second , electing to guard our chairs instead of gambling them away to a Guard with a side line ! I stayed in #5 building on the third floor , no bed bugs but plenty of little red ants mostly in the washroom, didn't complain . Many of the mens washrooms where out of order ! I tiped very well & its true , you only get one bottle of water ( small ) so i bough bottled water so i could brush my teeth & not get sick , didn't work , had the runs the third day there,stayed in room, me my wife & all the ants. o ya ! bring soft tolit paper, their's ,one ply sand paper. That's enough complaining for now ,Thanks