The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Heavens Coral(Puerto Plata)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
ClubHotel Riu Mambo(Puerto Plata)
Hotel Condado(Puerto Plata)
Sunshine Hotel(Puerto Plata)
4,981 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2004

Just returned from a week's holiday with the family (including 2 teens) and all were pleasently surprised at what a nice, quiet place it was.
The rooms were clean although the air conditioning was not fullforce each day. We didn't mind as we knew we would be back in freezing cold weather soon anyway..There is a problem with the hot water, but if you don't mind a few tepid showers during your stay, it won't be a problem.
The servers and staff were always there with a smile. I especially was impressed with the beach dinner/party. They put much work into setting up the tables, with the linen at the beach, lighting and bar-b Q. No one we met got sick at all, and the food was great. If you don't want to go to the buffet (which was very good), you do need to reserve early in the am for dinner that night at any one of the 3 other restaurants, but it then eliminates standing in line later. The restaurants were quiet and we had excellent service. We also put our towels on chairs at the same time before 0800hrs. I never saw anyone tipping at the bars, but we did leave the maid $1-2 dollars /day with some small toys/hair decs for kids. If you want extra towels, water in your fridge etc. you DO need to leave a note for the maid that am, and it will be there. If not, then someone will bring them to you if you call the frount desk.The night entertainment, hosted by Lorenzo (who was very energetic and funny) was good, and well attended.Remember that Dominican is a DEVELOPING country and have many poor families. The ones that work at the resort are happy to be there and welcome any kind words. If you want all the extras/comforts that you have at home..then stay there.All in all, it was a relaxing time, our 2 rooms were clean and bug-free, the kids met other teens, we met very interesting people from all around the world, got great tans (even though the clouds were abundant which were a relief at times!), gained a few pounds, all at a great price..so how can you not want that? J. and family

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 9, 2004

Well what can i say!!!! I Have just spent 2 weeks at the Hacienda Tropical and just have to say I have had the most fabulous time of my life. I travelled on my own and at first was a bit nervous but as soon as i arrived, got changed and hit the bar the fun and laughter just went on and on and on and on!!! I met a lot of other people there, wether they were on their own too, were families or couples just enjoying a break I didn't stop laughing for 14 days. I met wonderfull Canadians, Americans, French, German and well I cant forget the most polite and wonderfull Dominican people. They would bend over backwards to make my stay one I would never forget. They all said hi and smiled even if you walked past them to the apartment. The food I must say was a little on the over cooked side but hey you have to expect that in a developing country with all the hygeine standards that us tourists expect. The water in the shower was warm but who needs hot water when its 32C outside. There was a lot for the kids to do. Staff were there to keep them happy in the day and there was a show at 8.30pm at night just for them and then a show for the adults at 9.30pm. I am at present thinking very hard about working over there as its an experience never to forget. Again a big thank you to the other tourists and staff at the Hacienda Tropical........

3  Thank Wiggmond
Regina, SK Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2004

'A wonderful experience' is the only way to describe my stay at the Hacienda Tropical. True, renovations are underway, but non that inconvenienced us. Our room had been renovated, and was clean, bright and fresh. The water pressure wasn't the greatest, but we didn't let that few minutes a day spoil our entire day! A water cooler with safe drinking water was in every hallway on every floor of the 3 level buildings. The buffet had a variety of dishes each day, and the soups were very delicious! With any buffet, even in your home town, if you eat everything every day, you will tire of it. But we selected from the large variety and also took advantage of the a la carte restaurants, so never had any problems with food. This isn't a 5* property, so we didn't expect French cuisine every night! The staff was very friendly and appreciated us trying to speak Spanish, as bad as it may have sounded! We all laughed at those efforts! We had a choice between the quiet, moderate and active pools. The activities staff was encouraging without being bothersome, and worked very hard from morning, until the night shows, with only a few breaks in between. They are exceptional people! We had pre-booked a neighboring hotel for our 2nd week, but enjoyed the Hacienda so much, we walked over several days to visit, have fun and enjoy the evening shows with this talented crew that made our experience so memorable. This was my 9th trip into Mexico and the Caribbean. And so far, the best!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chilliwack, B.C.
Reviewed February 5, 2004

My family and I stayed at the Ramada Hacienda for 1 week. The food was about a 2 out of 5. 6 out of the 7 people in our family had the rumbly tumblies and all had cases of dissentry (a nice word for the other d word) Grandma was so bad she spent two days in bed. Wonder why we heard the cook got fired a few days after we got there? Hamburgers were pink inside, etc. Maids hardly understood much english. Lack of water. We didn't have any in our room, so I just kept raiding the maid's cart every day. Lack of towels...you think after cleaning up after 7 people they would leave 7 towels...not so only 4!! Now the part that really urks us is the THEFT...My husband left his sandals on the beach to reserve a chair in the morning. If you were there you would know there is a shortage of chairs and to reserve a chair the only way is to get up at 6 am and put a towel or something on the chair. Well we were told later by our representative that only hotel security and staff are down at the beach at that time so you may draw your own conclusion...BUT...the sandals we just blew off and didn't bother reporting it...When we checked out at 1 pm we were told we could put our luggage and other purchased items in the secured room at the front of the lobby until our airport bus transfer would come to pick us up at about 5 pm. I put a beautiful mahogany wood chest (hand carved) that I purchased on the beach in the room and put my video camera on top. The reason I know it was in there was because I had a flimsy bag around it and asked the porter if he would have a bigger bag to go around it as we would be carrying it on the plane. He said "Sure no problema" He said he would look for one and I could leave the situation with him.
Not until we arrived at the airport did we notice that it was not in our pile of suitcases. As you can imagine I was livid. Our Signature rep is still looking into the matter and hopefully something will be resolved. We have travelled to about 10 different countries in the past 14 years and have never ever experienced hotel theft. UNACCEPTABLE!! If it wasn't for the looks of the hotel and the beautiful beach and water I would give them a 1 star. BAD EXPERIENCE--DON'T GO!!!!!

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 3, 2004

This was my first real vacation. The weather was perfect, the resort was spotless. The staff bent over backwards to please us and were extremely friendly. I was looking for a slow-paced, put-your-feet-up on a lounge chair by the pool and soak up some sun kind of vacation, gentle warm breeze, the sound of waves slapping on the shore kind of vacation. And that's exactly what the Hacienda Tropical Resort is. If your room doesn't have any toilet paper, just go up to the front desk and mention it to the front desk and, voila, you will have it in your room in short order. If need ANYTHING, just ask and they will give it to you. The staff at the resort are human and prone to errors just like the rest of us and if the maid forgot something, maybe she's having a bad day, so no big deal, just ask and ye shall receive philosophy works there.

The staff at the resort work hard to please the customers and, in my opinion, did a damn fine job of it. I will definitely go back there again and hope to see all the smiling faces of the staff that we met while we were there. One waitress in particular went out of her way to make sure our vacation was exceptionally good and she was very pleasant. Ola, Jacqueline. I hope to see you again when we next visit.

Lorie Abu-Taah