The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Heavens Coral(Puerto Plata)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
ClubHotel Riu Mambo(Puerto Plata)
Sunshine Hotel(Puerto Plata)
Hotel Condado(Puerto Plata)
4,984 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Loved the food, location, all of it! First of all, the staff was excellent, especially the entertainment staff by the pool! They all have nicknames you will know and remember. John Cena and Michael Jackson are AWESOME water aerobics teachers. They, along with Puci Puci and a couple of others run all the activities by the pool. They also double as performers at the nightly shows at the Colluseum. Make sure you go to the VIP Welcome Party and Thursday night Dance Party. We had air conditioning the ENTIRE time we were there. A couple of dollars here and there go a long way. Since it is a vacation club, they take you on the tour of the facilities and ask you to buy in. But they don't haggle you if you don't, and you get free rum!

4  Thank JenV724
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My fiance and I stayed in the basic room offered through a great deal from cheapcarribean.com. We got our transportation through Olympus which was very easy to find once we got off the plane we were directed to their air conditioned bus in the lot. It took about 25 mins to get to the resort from the airport. The guide explains a quick run down of Dominican which was very helpful.
When we got to the resort, we stayed at the Tropical, we were greeted with a fruity drink as we waited in line for check in. We were put in building 4, which was close to everything, but loud at night.... (we talked to a couple that stayed at build 6 who confirmed they had bedbugs....)
Sunday night, the welcome party is a MUST. Great food....amazing, and the show is awesome.

VIP beach is also another MUST. We got up at 730 and waited in line for a covered cabana but it was worth it. the Dirty Monkey (chocolate bananna drink) and Tiki Tiki (orange goodness drink) are must haves and def the most popular on the VIP beach. They also bring food right to your bed, food is basic...but not too bad.

We talked with Mr. John Wayne and set up horseback riding which was 50 pp and included lunch. The bus picks you up, brings you to the ranch and youre on your way to see the beautiful scenic views. It was hot, but amazing. I would def reccommed this. Also, the lunch was one of the best meals we had on the trip. Legit domincian home cooked food.

Now, Deep Sea Fishing, dont even waste your time.... Unless you want to vomit the whole trip.... We went with two other couples, so six total, 2 of which got sea sick and we ened up going back early. No joke, 8-10 foot waves.... You dont even get to bait your own line...and the fumes from the engine gave me CO poisioing i think... NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!

We also did massages on the beach which were amazing. DONT BOOK THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK. They haggle their prices... First day they said 85pp then by wednesday is was 61pp. So we got a great deal and had relaxing couples massage on the beach for a reasonable price.

Food is ok...I ate chicken and rice almost everynight. They do a different themes everynight at the buffet, which is nice....Our waiter was Carlos, he was the BEST! Anything we wanted to drink he took care of it.Breakfast is basic. They have one guy who makes omlets but if you go around 9/930am you will wait in line a good 30mins.... We had reservations at EL PILON which is the domincan resturant which was good, I had chicken and rice lol.and the Chinese resturant which was also very good.

Def want to bring a big insulated cup or mug, its so hot down there, drinks get warm too quickly and the bartenders will fill them up for you no problem. The sushi on the VIP beach is also very good, i def reccomed that.....The blue lagoon has late night food which is OK...if youve had a couple of drinks and need some eats...it will do the job bacis hamburger, hot dog, french fries...

Thursday night they do another huge party, im not sure about that one though becasue we had the horrifc deap sea fishing trip early the next morning so we missed it....

All in all, not bad for the price. Room was basic...but clean. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Build 5 at the Tropical is prob your best best. Still close to everything but far enough away to have some quiet!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Laura C
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just came back from Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa and had a wonderful vacation.
We booked it through Cheap Caribbean. We got such a cheap price for the room, that I was a little skeptical. Once we got there, everything changed. the resort is beautiful. A little large and spread out, but once you know your way around, it was good. The room was a bit dated, but with clean sheets, hot water, excellent a/c, clean towels and a comfortable bed, who cares. The food was tremendous at both buffets. Different food each night. We were lucky enough to have the VIP area included in our trip. Top shelf drinks, and not watered down. Snacks are served from 11:00am to 5:00. As much as I read about the sales people bothering you about buying their membership, it was not an issue. The VIP party on Sunday night was incredible. Top notch food, great live entertainment, fireworks display. For $24.00 per night per person, this was a great trip.
Would highly recommend it.

3  Thank djclarkTampaFl
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I was so concerned about going because of all the bad reviews I saw posted on line. Thank goodness I grabbed my things and headed to Puerto Plata anyway. I had the time of my life....I loved my vacation...I loved my vacation...should I say it again.....lol...I loved my vacation. The grounds were well kept and the staff is very friendly. I stayed in a Jr. suite and completely loved the view of the property from my balcony. There is a variety of resturants which you can dine; however I didn't enjoy the food much because it wasn't well seasoned. But that's such a small issue, I just ensured that I added additional salt and pepper to my meals and everything was fine.
I truly enjoyed myself and look forward to my return.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The bad:

1.Front desk team was extemely nasty except for Paola Santos she was very nice
2.The supervisor on duty was not helpful with an issue I had she ended up walking away from me.
3.The conciege service wasn't so great either. They book your reservations in advance do not care wether you are allergic to a certain food or not, they told me that I was stuck with whatever I was booked for and could not change it.
4. The rooms were disgusting, I walked in and it smelled like MOLD, my sheets were filthy, fridge leaking, screen door wouldn't close and refused to put me in a different room .I requested service at 9am didn't recieve it until about 5PM which all I wanted to do was nap by the time I got back . requested towels because I needed to shower and go out to dinner recieved them after an hour.
5. The beach was horrible, they had sewers that were running into the beach had to walk towards ocean world to get clean/clear water.

The Good :

1. John Cena , Michael Jordan , Lenny Kravitz & the girls never really got their name but they are INCREDIBLE! They work so hard every day to make your trip unforgettable.
2. Foam party was awesome we had a blast.
3. The shows at the Collesium were also fun Kudos to all the performers.
4. Welcome party was very entertaining.
5. and the fries at blue Laggoon after midnight did the job ! LOL ( team New Yorkoklahoma)

Over all it was relaxing for me but I expected SO MUCH MORE! I am in the hotel industry and honestly I would never treat my guest the way I was treated.

4  Thank Millpop
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the observations concerning the service at the hotel, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services and amenities at the resort.
We are in the business to bring an enjoyable and excellent experience to all of our guests.
The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.
We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires.
Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us.
We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.
Regarding the dinner reservations, we have a system, that depending on the amount of days of your stay you get pre-assigned reservations up on your arrival, then for the rest of the days you may go to the Guest Service department to make the reservations, other wise we have two big buffet restaurants with huge variety of food.

Best regards,