“Well Worth The Money”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
tampa fl
“Well Worth The Money”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just came back from Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa and had a wonderful vacation.
We booked it through Cheap Caribbean. We got such a cheap price for the room, that I was a little skeptical. Once we got there, everything changed. the resort is beautiful. A little large and spread out, but once you know your way around, it was good. The room was a bit dated, but with clean sheets, hot water, excellent a/c, clean towels and a comfortable bed, who cares. The food was tremendous at both buffets. Different food each night. We were lucky enough to have the VIP area included in our trip. Top shelf drinks, and not watered down. Snacks are served from 11:00am to 5:00. As much as I read about the sales people bothering you about buying their membership, it was not an issue. The VIP party on Sunday night was incredible. Top notch food, great live entertainment, fireworks display. For $24.00 per night per person, this was a great trip.
Would highly recommend it.

3 Thank djclarkTampaFl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,030)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I was so concerned about going because of all the bad reviews I saw posted on line. Thank goodness I grabbed my things and headed to Puerto Plata anyway. I had the time of my life....I loved my vacation...I loved my vacation...should I say it again.....lol...I loved my vacation. The grounds were well kept and the staff is very friendly. I stayed in a Jr. suite and completely loved the view of the property from my balcony. There is a variety of resturants which you can dine; however I didn't enjoy the food much because it wasn't well seasoned. But that's such a small issue, I just ensured that I added additional salt and pepper to my meals and everything was fine.
I truly enjoyed myself and look forward to my return.

• Stayed June 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The bad:

1.Front desk team was extemely nasty except for Paola Santos she was very nice
2.The supervisor on duty was not helpful with an issue I had she ended up walking away from me.
3.The conciege service wasn't so great either. They book your reservations in advance do not care wether you are allergic to a certain food or not, they told me that I was stuck with whatever I was booked for and could not change it.
4. The rooms were disgusting, I walked in and it smelled like MOLD, my sheets were filthy, fridge leaking, screen door wouldn't close and refused to put me in a different room .I requested service at 9am didn't recieve it until about 5PM which all I wanted to do was nap by the time I got back . requested towels because I needed to shower and go out to dinner recieved them after an hour.
5. The beach was horrible, they had sewers that were running into the beach had to walk towards ocean world to get clean/clear water.

The Good :

1. John Cena , Michael Jordan , Lenny Kravitz & the girls never really got their name but they are INCREDIBLE! They work so hard every day to make your trip unforgettable.
2. Foam party was awesome we had a blast.
3. The shows at the Collesium were also fun Kudos to all the performers.
4. Welcome party was very entertaining.
5. and the fries at blue Laggoon after midnight did the job ! LOL ( team New Yorkoklahoma)

Over all it was relaxing for me but I expected SO MUCH MORE! I am in the hotel industry and honestly I would never treat my guest the way I was treated.

4 Thank Millpop
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the observations concerning the service at the hotel, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services and amenities at the resort.
We are in the business to bring an enjoyable and excellent experience to all of our guests.
The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.
We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires.
Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us.
We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.
Regarding the dinner reservations, we have a system, that depending on the amount of days of your stay you get pre-assigned reservations up on your arrival, then for the rest of the days you may go to the Guest Service department to make the reservations, other wise we have two big buffet restaurants with huge variety of food.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I confess that because of previous resort experiences, I wasn't really looking forward to this one and figured I would spend as much time off-resort as possible, but after arriving and seeing the sheer size of the place, meeting the excellent staff and experiencing the food and hospitality, I am pleased to say that I only felt the "need" to go off-resort on one occasion, as I wanted to experience the Sosua beach area nearby.

Where should I even begin? I'll start with the staff, because to me, the facilities are secondary. From my very first bar experience at the Cofresi lobby/pool bar area while I waited to check-in, I was made to feel very welcomed. David and Ana Maria ensured that I was sufficiently excited about my upcoming week with the resort.

Once settled in my room, I ventured out and met Spaghetti and Mosquito at the Cofresi beach pool area. What characters! They cracked me up and I looked forward to seeing them every day. Randy the lifeguard ("Oh my god!") was always a delight, too.

The waiting and entertainment staff all work extremely hard to ensure that everyone's experience is excellent. I have pretty high standards and am pleased to report that they all met or exceeded my expectations. As my travel mate stated "you think about them moving your plate away and suddenly, it's done!" She was so right. They were always on top of things.

I think my favorite part of the staff is their willingness to help, in general. Whether it's making your vacation that much better, or helping you learn more Spanish, they were all incredible. Javier at Bellini had us in stitches -- unfortunately, he thought we were laughing at him, at first, but once we conveyed that it was our own inadequate Spanish speaking skills that were the cause of laughter, we all had a good chuckle together.

The Thursday night resort party was possibly one of the most fun things I've ever done, anywhere, and I can attribute a lot of that to Paull from the Tropical. Wow, is all I can say. I had a blast at that party. The DJ was excellent, but Paull really made the experience a memorable one. These guys (and gals!) work so hard for so little but you would never know it -- they are extremely good at their jobs.

As to the actual facilities, I could not have been happier. My room was amazing and the grounds were always immaculate (except on the beach, where the plastic cups from the resort would litter the ground -- thankfully, there's always a garbage can close by -- do your part and help the environment, please. I don't care if it's not your mess, it's your earth).

The VIP beach is an experience like none that I have had before. Do yourself a favor and make the effort to get there before it opens one day so you can reserve a spot. Even if you only do that for one day on your trip, it will be well worth it. Raul and the rest of the VIP beach staff will take care of you so well that you'll want to keep coming back, anyway.

Yes, the place is huge -- far bigger than I had imagined, or gleaned from the photos -- and yes, there are a TON of stairs, so it's not great if you're not fully mobile, but they have tried to do everything possible to rectify this situation with the use of golf carts and shuttles. Use them, if you need to -- I didn't, as I liked the exercise, but I could see why people would need it.

My only complaints with the facilities were:
1. my phone didn't work in my room, not even to call the front desk, so if I'd had an emergency, I'd have been out of luck. thankfully, after reporting it 3 times, someone fixed that situation.
2. there seems to be a sewer gas issue that was causing some seriously nasty stenches from my toilet -- I would jokingly blame the food but that wouldn't be true or fair, and I can't take the credit for that particular smell. (I was in Building 40 at Cofresi)

The food selection was excellent - there's something for everyone, although the vegetarian options could be expanded (my travel mate is vegetarian), but overall, I was pleased. I'm not one to travel "for the food" anyway, but it's great when it's not a concern. I really enjoyed the Casablanca buffet and Bellini restaurant menu the most. I did find it a bit odd that the seafood restaurant (Blue Lagoon) food quality was not as good as the seafood I had at the Italian restaurant (Bellini), but, c'est la vie!

For excursions, I highly recommend the Sosua snorkelling half-day tour and you MUST take in the Mega Extreme Adventure if you're physically able. The name is cheesy, but I promise you, it's accurate. I loved every moment. The guys that ran the tour were awesome!!

All in all, this was a fantastic vacation and for the first time in my life, I can truthfully say that I would actually go back! (I generally prefer to not visit the same place twice - it's a big big world)

Well done, Lifestyles!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a room with a view of the ocean. It's a beautiful sight to wake u...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SuzM2012
Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I were staying at the Cofresi Resort, just next door of Lifestyle Tropical. We visited Tropical on our second day and after that, we barely stayed in Cofresi. The entertainment and atmosphere was much more lively at Tropical. Our vacation became so much better after meeting the animation crew, which included Jhony Bravo, Michael Jordan, John Cena, and especially PUCHI! During my week stay at lifestyle, Puchi and I formed a great bond. He has a great personality and was definitely the funniest out of the animation crew. Anything we needed, he was right there to help us. Thank you everyone for making our experience that much better!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anthony P
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate that you took your time to write this comment, expressing how much fun you had at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.
We are really happy that you liked our facilities and we will congratulate our entertainment staff for providing a great hospitality.

Best Regards,

QUAKERTOWN, PA.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

First let me say that I understand that I got a ridiculously cheap trip through Cheap Caribbean and I know it. I travel a lot so I do know what things cost. Even so, there were some dissapointments that we worked around but I think I should mention.
We are 2 middle aged sisters traveling together. Our deal was supposed to be an upgrade to a superior room. When booking I told them (CC) that we needed a room with 2 beds and not on the 1st floor. CC's representative included on the booking with Lifestyle that we needed 2 beds, 2nd floor, in building 5 (because it had just been redone). At check in, we were told that there are no 2 bed rooms in building 5 and were given a room on the first floor (which did not make my security conscious sister any too happy) in building 2. If this was a "superior" room, I don't want to see the standard ones. The sliding glass door was off the track, the bedside lamp didn't work, the outside light didn't work, the air conditioning barely worked, the furnishings were old and worn and there was only 1 outlet in the entire room. In order to do anything like charge a phone or plug in a computer, you had to unplug either the refrigerator or the TV. We did get a laugh out of the clock radio on the bedside table that wasn't plugged in because it was not within 10 feet of the only outlet. Like, what was the point? Also, there was nothing in the "stocked mini bar". Our bellman said that he would tell them and a couple of hours later there did appear some water, 2 sodas and 2 beers. The next day I left a tip with a note for the chambermaid asking for more beer and extra towels. We got 1 more beer and 1 more towel. SO...the next day I went to the front desk and asked them how 'bout putting something in the fridge and they told me "o. no. that's only on the 1st day". I also asked if we could maybe get an extension cord, power strip, something so that we would have more than 1 outlet and was told "o. yes. right away". Even watched him write it down. That also never appeared.
As far as the "tour" goes, after reading other reviews we decided to just do it and get it over with so as to not be bothered for the rest of the week plus, we would at least be getting a tour of the place and would know where everything was. Not how it turned out. We were taken to the sales center, sat down with a salesman who had a legal pad and a computer and spent 2 hours listening to why we should buy into the Lifestyle program. He wanted an immediate downpayment of $5,300. My sister said that she at least wanted to see the resort first and he refused to take us on a tour unless we put $5,300 on a credit card. So, that was the end of that....we walked out of there having seen nothing besides the sales center.
Now, the good part. Our 2 reservations were at the Domincan and Mexican restaurants which were both VERY good. We ate at Casablanca most of the time and at the Pearl once. The Pearl was actually a better buffet but the food at both were good and they changed up the menu every day. The sushi bar at the VIP beach was also good and the WiFi there worked most of the time. We went to 2 of the shows and the Sunday night party and all were excellent. The pools are all very nice...there is not much available shade at the Tropical pool so if you're the type that sizzles, you might want to check out the Cofressi pools which are smaller, quieter and have more available shade...I saw a lot of crispy people walking around at Tropical poolside. We also went to water aerobics several times, took part in Dominican games, beer drinking contests, Zumba, etc. We got really good discounted deals at the Spa one day...just ask if they are offering any specials. I had a sauna, Jacuzzi, coffee and honey scrub with 30 minute massage which was not only awesome, but reasonably priced. By far, the best part of the experience was the staff. All the entertainment guys at the Tropical pool, Lenny Cravitz, Michael Jordan, Jhonny Tejeda Bravo, John Cena and that wild man Puchi Puchi were great fun whether dancing, leading aerobics and games or just sitting down to talk for a minute. It's obvious that they really enjoy people and love their jobs and I hope to see them all again upon my next visit. And I will go there again. Despite the minor inconveniences, which we got over right away, it was a great time.

Room Tip: Don't know what to tell you...we did not get what we were supposed to get and I was just told no...
3 Thank gretaost
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to help you, enjoy your vacation.
Our rooms are in general in very good conditions even though, we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms, the inconveniences that you mentioned that you experienced during your stay are unacceptable, Please accept my sincerest apologies, and know that I will be discussing your comments with our staff, especially with Housekeeping team and Front desk team.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The foam party on thursday nights was amazing! The dj was great playing the best dance and hip hop music from past to present. The welcome party on Sunday was very nice for all ages get there early if you want good seats so you can enjoy the show and zif you like oysters, shrimp, and the big lobster tails they run out fast. The grounds are well kept get early to the vip beach to get a cabana I spent most of my time there with a cool breeze and quick walk to the beach. The food was really good at the buffet I only at the the blue lagoon the seafood place and the starters were poor they fried the calamari and fried ice cream in the same grease. The main dishes were decent the salmon and the mahi mahi. The drinks at all the bars were strong I drank Happy Happy at the lobby bar with gina the bartender she is amazing and Tiki Tiki at the vip beach bar. The nightclub Ice at cofresi is lots of fun when the dj is good however a lil tip and he will play what you want. The micheal jackson show i caught the end of and wish i would have seen the entire thing the extravaganza show was boring don't bother. The rooms are what you would get at a motel 6 so if you plan on spending your time there instead of the buffet, pool, or the beach then maybe you should spring for another hotel. Tip the servers its not mandatory but they work very hard. The clipboard timeshare folks are annoying but if you give them a good strong NO! they leave you alone. Could not have asked for anything more for 25 bucks a night!

Room Tip: i stayed in building 1 close to lobby, buffet, and pool. No bugs or A/C issues
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angela G
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach and Spa Resort for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
Our rooms are in general in very good conditions even though, we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Lifestyle Tropical Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

The management