5,177 results
All reviewsvip beachgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsalamisushi barcasa blancacaramellodominican republicwater aerobicscasablanca buffetbeach bedsvip partythese guyshorseback ridingserenity beach
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I confess that because of previous resort experiences, I wasn't really looking forward to this one and figured I would spend as much time off-resort as possible, but after arriving and seeing the sheer size of the place, meeting the excellent staff and experiencing the food and hospitality, I am pleased to say that I only felt the "need" to go off-resort on one occasion, as I wanted to experience the Sosua beach area nearby.

Where should I even begin? I'll start with the staff, because to me, the facilities are secondary. From my very first bar experience at the Cofresi lobby/pool bar area while I waited to check-in, I was made to feel very welcomed. David and Ana Maria ensured that I was sufficiently excited about my upcoming week with the resort.

Once settled in my room, I ventured out and met Spaghetti and Mosquito at the Cofresi beach pool area. What characters! They cracked me up and I looked forward to seeing them every day. Randy the lifeguard ("Oh my god!") was always a delight, too.

The waiting and entertainment staff all work extremely hard to ensure that everyone's experience is excellent. I have pretty high standards and am pleased to report that they all met or exceeded my expectations. As my travel mate stated "you think about them moving your plate away and suddenly, it's done!" She was so right. They were always on top of things.

I think my favorite part of the staff is their willingness to help, in general. Whether it's making your vacation that much better, or helping you learn more Spanish, they were all incredible. Javier at Bellini had us in stitches -- unfortunately, he thought we were laughing at him, at first, but once we conveyed that it was our own inadequate Spanish speaking skills that were the cause of laughter, we all had a good chuckle together.

The Thursday night resort party was possibly one of the most fun things I've ever done, anywhere, and I can attribute a lot of that to Paull from the Tropical. Wow, is all I can say. I had a blast at that party. The DJ was excellent, but Paull really made the experience a memorable one. These guys (and gals!) work so hard for so little but you would never know it -- they are extremely good at their jobs.

As to the actual facilities, I could not have been happier. My room was amazing and the grounds were always immaculate (except on the beach, where the plastic cups from the resort would litter the ground -- thankfully, there's always a garbage can close by -- do your part and help the environment, please. I don't care if it's not your mess, it's your earth).

The VIP beach is an experience like none that I have had before. Do yourself a favor and make the effort to get there before it opens one day so you can reserve a spot. Even if you only do that for one day on your trip, it will be well worth it. Raul and the rest of the VIP beach staff will take care of you so well that you'll want to keep coming back, anyway.

Yes, the place is huge -- far bigger than I had imagined, or gleaned from the photos -- and yes, there are a TON of stairs, so it's not great if you're not fully mobile, but they have tried to do everything possible to rectify this situation with the use of golf carts and shuttles. Use them, if you need to -- I didn't, as I liked the exercise, but I could see why people would need it.

My only complaints with the facilities were:
1. my phone didn't work in my room, not even to call the front desk, so if I'd had an emergency, I'd have been out of luck. thankfully, after reporting it 3 times, someone fixed that situation.
2. there seems to be a sewer gas issue that was causing some seriously nasty stenches from my toilet -- I would jokingly blame the food but that wouldn't be true or fair, and I can't take the credit for that particular smell. (I was in Building 40 at Cofresi)

The food selection was excellent - there's something for everyone, although the vegetarian options could be expanded (my travel mate is vegetarian), but overall, I was pleased. I'm not one to travel "for the food" anyway, but it's great when it's not a concern. I really enjoyed the Casablanca buffet and Bellini restaurant menu the most. I did find it a bit odd that the seafood restaurant (Blue Lagoon) food quality was not as good as the seafood I had at the Italian restaurant (Bellini), but, c'est la vie!

For excursions, I highly recommend the Sosua snorkelling half-day tour and you MUST take in the Mega Extreme Adventure if you're physically able. The name is cheesy, but I promise you, it's accurate. I loved every moment. The guys that ran the tour were awesome!!

All in all, this was a fantastic vacation and for the first time in my life, I can truthfully say that I would actually go back! (I generally prefer to not visit the same place twice - it's a big big world)

Well done, Lifestyles!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a room with a view of the ocean. It's a beautiful sight to wake up to.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SuzM2012
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I were staying at the Cofresi Resort, just next door of Lifestyle Tropical. We visited Tropical on our second day and after that, we barely stayed in Cofresi. The entertainment and atmosphere was much more lively at Tropical. Our vacation became so much better after meeting the animation crew, which included Jhony Bravo, Michael Jordan, John Cena, and especially PUCHI! During my week stay at lifestyle, Puchi and I formed a great bond. He has a great personality and was definitely the funniest out of the animation crew. Anything we needed, he was right there to help us. Thank you everyone for making our experience that much better!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anthony P
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate that you took your time to write this comment, expressing how much fun you had at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.
We are really happy that you liked our facilities and we will congratulate our entertainment staff for providing a great hospitality.

Best Regards,

The Management

Reviewed June 12, 2013

First let me say that I understand that I got a ridiculously cheap trip through Cheap Caribbean and I know it. I travel a lot so I do know what things cost. Even so, there were some dissapointments that we worked around but I think I should mention.
We are 2 middle aged sisters traveling together. Our deal was supposed to be an upgrade to a superior room. When booking I told them (CC) that we needed a room with 2 beds and not on the 1st floor. CC's representative included on the booking with Lifestyle that we needed 2 beds, 2nd floor, in building 5 (because it had just been redone). At check in, we were told that there are no 2 bed rooms in building 5 and were given a room on the first floor (which did not make my security conscious sister any too happy) in building 2. If this was a "superior" room, I don't want to see the standard ones. The sliding glass door was off the track, the bedside lamp didn't work, the outside light didn't work, the air conditioning barely worked, the furnishings were old and worn and there was only 1 outlet in the entire room. In order to do anything like charge a phone or plug in a computer, you had to unplug either the refrigerator or the TV. We did get a laugh out of the clock radio on the bedside table that wasn't plugged in because it was not within 10 feet of the only outlet. Like, what was the point? Also, there was nothing in the "stocked mini bar". Our bellman said that he would tell them and a couple of hours later there did appear some water, 2 sodas and 2 beers. The next day I left a tip with a note for the chambermaid asking for more beer and extra towels. We got 1 more beer and 1 more towel. SO...the next day I went to the front desk and asked them how 'bout putting something in the fridge and they told me "o. no. that's only on the 1st day". I also asked if we could maybe get an extension cord, power strip, something so that we would have more than 1 outlet and was told "o. yes. right away". Even watched him write it down. That also never appeared.
As far as the "tour" goes, after reading other reviews we decided to just do it and get it over with so as to not be bothered for the rest of the week plus, we would at least be getting a tour of the place and would know where everything was. Not how it turned out. We were taken to the sales center, sat down with a salesman who had a legal pad and a computer and spent 2 hours listening to why we should buy into the Lifestyle program. He wanted an immediate downpayment of $5,300. My sister said that she at least wanted to see the resort first and he refused to take us on a tour unless we put $5,300 on a credit card. So, that was the end of that....we walked out of there having seen nothing besides the sales center.
Now, the good part. Our 2 reservations were at the Domincan and Mexican restaurants which were both VERY good. We ate at Casablanca most of the time and at the Pearl once. The Pearl was actually a better buffet but the food at both were good and they changed up the menu every day. The sushi bar at the VIP beach was also good and the WiFi there worked most of the time. We went to 2 of the shows and the Sunday night party and all were excellent. The pools are all very nice...there is not much available shade at the Tropical pool so if you're the type that sizzles, you might want to check out the Cofressi pools which are smaller, quieter and have more available shade...I saw a lot of crispy people walking around at Tropical poolside. We also went to water aerobics several times, took part in Dominican games, beer drinking contests, Zumba, etc. We got really good discounted deals at the Spa one day...just ask if they are offering any specials. I had a sauna, Jacuzzi, coffee and honey scrub with 30 minute massage which was not only awesome, but reasonably priced. By far, the best part of the experience was the staff. All the entertainment guys at the Tropical pool, Lenny Cravitz, Michael Jordan, Jhonny Tejeda Bravo, John Cena and that wild man Puchi Puchi were great fun whether dancing, leading aerobics and games or just sitting down to talk for a minute. It's obvious that they really enjoy people and love their jobs and I hope to see them all again upon my next visit. And I will go there again. Despite the minor inconveniences, which we got over right away, it was a great time.

Room Tip: Don't know what to tell you...we did not get what we were supposed to get and I was just told no..sorry.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank gretaost

Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to help you, enjoy your vacation.
Our rooms are in general in very good conditions even though, we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms, the inconveniences that you mentioned that you experienced during your stay are unacceptable, Please accept my sincerest apologies, and know that I will be discussing your comments with our staff, especially with Housekeeping team and Front desk team.

Best regards,

The Management

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The foam party on thursday nights was amazing! The dj was great playing the best dance and hip hop music from past to present. The welcome party on Sunday was very nice for all ages get there early if you want good seats so you can enjoy the show and zif you like oysters, shrimp, and the big lobster tails they run out fast. The grounds are well kept get early to the vip beach to get a cabana I spent most of my time there with a cool breeze and quick walk to the beach. The food was really good at the buffet I only at the the blue lagoon the seafood place and the starters were poor they fried the calamari and fried ice cream in the same grease. The main dishes were decent the salmon and the mahi mahi. The drinks at all the bars were strong I drank Happy Happy at the lobby bar with gina the bartender she is amazing and Tiki Tiki at the vip beach bar. The nightclub Ice at cofresi is lots of fun when the dj is good however a lil tip and he will play what you want. The micheal jackson show i caught the end of and wish i would have seen the entire thing the extravaganza show was boring don't bother. The rooms are what you would get at a motel 6 so if you plan on spending your time there instead of the buffet, pool, or the beach then maybe you should spring for another hotel. Tip the servers its not mandatory but they work very hard. The clipboard timeshare folks are annoying but if you give them a good strong NO! they leave you alone. Could not have asked for anything more for 25 bucks a night!

Room Tip: i stayed in building 1 close to lobby, buffet, and pool. No bugs or A/C issues
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Angela G
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach and Spa Resort for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
Our rooms are in general in very good conditions even though, we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Lifestyle Tropical Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Best regards,

The management

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was debating between 3 and 4 but gave it 4 mainly due to what you get for the money spent. This resort is huge when you factor in the Confresi (which you have access to).The rooms are ok but not great. The TV is small, pillows not the best, and you have to pay extra to use the safe. However, where this resort is great is in the entertainment, variety of pools and places to eat, and beds at vip beach. Every night there is something different to see. Most of the shows are a big production with lots to see. My girlfriend and I stayed 6 nights but unfortunately missed the Sunday party which many people said was spectacular. VIP beach is nice because there are beds that have sheets around them to keep the sun out if you want to and they will bring food to you. We liked this option because after 4 days in the sun it was wearing on us. Everyone can get into VIP beach even if you are a non member. They will try to get you to take a "tour" and sell you a membership. This was the most annoying part of the trip because it took up an hour or two of our time. After this "tour" and saying no we were left alone to enjoy our trip (they do give you a bottle of rum even if you say no). We did the 12 waterfall full day tour and full day catamaran/snorkel trip. The waterfall tour was great and would highly recommend. The catamaran tour had very average to poor snorkeling due to lack of variety in the fish you see. Overall, I would recommend lifestyles tropical to friends especially if you can take advantage of some of the cheap deals they run.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple