“Theft at the hotel”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Theft at the hotel”
Reviewed February 5, 2004

My family and I stayed at the Ramada Hacienda for 1 week. The food was about a 2 out of 5. 6 out of the 7 people in our family had the rumbly tumblies and all had cases of dissentry (a nice word for the other d word) Grandma was so bad she spent two days in bed. Wonder why we heard the cook got fired a few days after we got there? Hamburgers were pink inside, etc. Maids hardly understood much english. Lack of water. We didn't have any in our room, so I just kept raiding the maid's cart every day. Lack of towels...you think after cleaning up after 7 people they would leave 7 towels...not so only 4!! Now the part that really urks us is the THEFT...My husband left his sandals on the beach to reserve a chair in the morning. If you were there you would know there is a shortage of chairs and to reserve a chair the only way is to get up at 6 am and put a towel or something on the chair. Well we were told later by our representative that only hotel security and staff are down at the beach at that time so you may draw your own conclusion...BUT...the sandals we just blew off and didn't bother reporting it...When we checked out at 1 pm we were told we could put our luggage and other purchased items in the secured room at the front of the lobby until our airport bus transfer would come to pick us up at about 5 pm. I put a beautiful mahogany wood chest (hand carved) that I purchased on the beach in the room and put my video camera on top. The reason I know it was in there was because I had a flimsy bag around it and asked the porter if he would have a bigger bag to go around it as we would be carrying it on the plane. He said "Sure no problema" He said he would look for one and I could leave the situation with him.
Not until we arrived at the airport did we notice that it was not in our pile of suitcases. As you can imagine I was livid. Our Signature rep is still looking into the matter and hopefully something will be resolved. We have travelled to about 10 different countries in the past 14 years and have never ever experienced hotel theft. UNACCEPTABLE!! If it wasn't for the looks of the hotel and the beautiful beach and water I would give them a 1 star. BAD EXPERIENCE--DON'T GO!!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed February 3, 2004

This was my first real vacation. The weather was perfect, the resort was spotless. The staff bent over backwards to please us and were extremely friendly. I was looking for a slow-paced, put-your-feet-up on a lounge chair by the pool and soak up some sun kind of vacation, gentle warm breeze, the sound of waves slapping on the shore kind of vacation. And that's exactly what the Hacienda Tropical Resort is. If your room doesn't have any toilet paper, just go up to the front desk and mention it to the front desk and, voila, you will have it in your room in short order. If need ANYTHING, just ask and they will give it to you. The staff at the resort are human and prone to errors just like the rest of us and if the maid forgot something, maybe she's having a bad day, so no big deal, just ask and ye shall receive philosophy works there.

The staff at the resort work hard to please the customers and, in my opinion, did a damn fine job of it. I will definitely go back there again and hope to see all the smiling faces of the staff that we met while we were there. One waitress in particular went out of her way to make sure our vacation was exceptionally good and she was very pleasant. Ola, Jacqueline. I hope to see you again when we next visit.

Lorie Abu-Taah

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 29, 2004

Hola. Just kept trying to remember that these people have NOTHING....The resort was beautiful,plain rooms,but clean. Leaving 200 pesos and lots of little goodies,(candies,gum,ball caps etc really made a difference with the service we got. Remember to wash off feet before getting to room(sand fleas will stick to sand then get into your beds)food was typical resort food,but we don't recommend the Blue Marlin for steak...very tough and 2 out of 4 people got good poisoning from uncooked beef,only had a few bites...Chris and Matties down the beach have EXCELLENT food, for 6 people Surf and Turf lots of beer and drinks came to less then 100.00 U.S, Learning about the country through our guides was a real eye opener.Snorkling was AMAZING....Shopping was great but getting annoying listening to "c'mon my friend....cheap...cheap.." was all part of a great vacation. Don't have a shower early in the am,may not have hot water....found that after a day on the beach lots of hot water about 4:00

Reviewed January 25, 2004

Returned from a weeks holiday on Jan. 22 and all in all were very happy
with the experience. Price wise we got a super deal. $988 plus taxes
per person. I had booked the trip before I read any of the reviews and
panicked once I had. Thought I'd booked a trip to hell! Called the
travel agency and one of their agents (Martha) went out of her way to
check with Signature Vacations and make sure it wasn't that bad.

On arrival I was originally disappointed to not have a room overlooking
the beach or the pools but it turned out to be a good thing as it was
nice and quiet and the fountains in the garden provided a relaxing
view. The first night the power failed and I thought Oh No, we couldn't
even wash up from our flight as there was no water. We decided some rum
might help our perspective and it did. We went for a walk and found the
resort to be quite beautiful. We had supper at the Seafood restaurant
that evening (no reservation needed) and it was awesome.

The buffet had a huge variety of items on it and while some of it was
bland there was a bowl of sliced hot peppers near the grill that were
hot enough to make any item five alarm. We never did make it out for
Italian food (the pasta on the buffet was delicious) but we had an
enjoyable meal in the Chinese Restaurant.

We found the room to be plain but clean and adequate. The maids were
fine, keeping the room well supplied and neat. We did tip approx. $3
Can. per day. which may be a bit much but we have friends in Puerto
Plata and we know how much they earn. The rest of the resort staff were
great. Friendly and efficient. Even the guys on the beach weren't too
bad. We've been places where they were downright aggressive which was
not the case here.

Likewise we were impressed with the Signature Vacation Staff. Very
helpful and the way they handled transfers to and from the airport and
tours was impressive.

We would definately go back as long as we can find another type of plane to fly in. We flew with Skyservice and while the crew were great the seats and the food were terrible. It was bad enough on the seven hour trip there but the eleven and a half hour trip home was nothing less than torture. I am not very big and if it was hell for me I can't imagine how anyone larger could stand it. I'd appreciate any advice as to which airlines are an acceptable alternative because I will rot in hell before I fly Skyservice again.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 24, 2004

This resort has some great things about it, but it has more issues they need to iron out before I could suggest spending your $$$ here. The layout and landscaping is very beautiful, well maintained and clean. The swimming pool is crystal clear but could use a fresh paint job. This is a great place in my opinion for single people or young couples wanting to party, but not for families. We were travelling with our 9 yr old son and he was rather bored as the youth activities for his age did not exist. The topless women were in abundance and at all angles of the pool, walking around & swimming with the children. On the beach I understand that it is acceptable. For a family resort this much nudity (and there was a lot!) there should have been designated area in one of the various pool areas. The beer drinking contests and the "find as many bra's as you can contest" one particular evening I found not exactly a "family" event. The food... we all received food poisoning. Various evenings we all took turns vomitting as we all ate different selections from the buffet. Do not plan on eating! When you do be prepared to have your plate grabbed out from underneath you before you can even finish chewing your food. Also, time-share salemen guard each exit to the food pavillion and each and every day you will be harrassed. Also, you are unable to sit by the pool with ease of not being solicited for something. The hotel has its own canvassers to go horseback riding, a trip to the mountains or to try a speacial tanning solutions. Whether you go to the beach or not you must deal with these people. As we travelled with Signature we found our rep to be quite rude and useless. Unless you are willing to tip him (as we found out through other sources) he really could not be bothered to even ask you how your trip is and possibly check in to a particular excurssion. His name is "Guy" and he will come across quite friendly until you need something. At the airport look for "Johnny" from Signature as tipping him will get you to the front of the check-in at the airport as many unhappy travellers witnessed! The non-motorized watersports advertised... they do not exist. The equipment is broken or in poor repair. They have been known to keep your deposit when their repairs from previous users have come apart. Please be careful with your telephone, too. The hotel tried to charge us for many calls that we did not make. After 20 minutes of agruing and even obtaining a printout of the calls made the clerk finally admitted that this is a common mistake. Do not allow small children on the balconies as they are not securely fastened. Water pressure in the showers... none. There is very little hot water except in the toilet??? No joke! Because my son was not a "paying guest" due to his age he also was not entitled to a beach towel. We are still waiting for shampoo which we requested on day one. We also asked to have our t.v. fixed. Being that one of us was ill and vomitting each day it was nice to have working... we are still waiting! We made the best and still had a nice time despite the illnesses. For the most part the staff were very nice... and a tip... tipping the maid will get you fresh bedding every day!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member