The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

First off I must say the staff is amazing John Cena Lenny Kravitz and Michael Jordan are the most fun you could ask for on Vacation. There is a bartender named Nelson at the swim up bar best bartender I've ever had and I've had about a Million since I am from Wisconsin I love to drink. By far the best time of my life. I'd like to thank the staff that I have mentioned earlier for making it a trip of a lifetime John Cena,Lenny Kravitz, Michael Jordan, and the best bartender in the world Nelson thank you guys for everything!

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I just wanted to give a shout out to some of the most wonderful people who just made my vacation escape AMAZING! First of all, I want to thank John Cena, Puchi, Michael Jordan, Lenny Craviz and Baby Face for their exciting personalities, their incredible energy and making everyone feel special at the resort! My vacation would have been ultra boring without them. I also want to thank Jacqueline Reyes and Odalis Salvador for being the best waiters EVER! They made meals a joy with their huge smiles and their excellant service. I have been to alot of places and because of these people Puerto Plata is now my favorite!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephanie B
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I flew to DR from Phx and wanted to write up any and all helpful tips I could to help future travelers with their stay..
Airfare- If you find that flying directly into Puerta Plata is expensive try flying into Santiago. The savings was about $250 for the airline ticket. We waited and waited to see if pricing went down and down to the last minute the airline pricing stayed consistant at around $750 so flying into Santiago with Jet Blue (also amazing airline choice) saved us lots of time and flight time was far less than other options.

Shuttle- Originally we called the hotel and asked for shuttle service (for 4 girls) and found that they would send a shuttle for $100 per person.. After some research we found a company on our own that charged $249 for 4 people which ended up costing $62 per person.. The name of the company was Domincan Shuttles (ask for Jose). The service is AMAZING.. they were ontime for our pick up at the airport and pick up for our return (not one minute late) and the vehicle was far above our expectations.. New white van with plush tan leather seats (clean) and knowledable about routes.. Driver drove safely (not speeding or anything reflecting poor service) highly recommended. http://www.dominicanshuttles.com/
Hotel Staff- Excellent. We found if you tip the hotel maids they would throw in extra's (water /towels) just little extra's..
Room was definately 3 stars but it was clean and suitable...
Food was OK.. Not bad at all but not the best I have ever had.. Our routine was leave the hotel at 9am go to the gym (near the spa) work out then go save chairs which you can do by leaving a towel or water bottle and then come back later that day.. (it was no problem) We found staff that would move chairs down to the beach for us for a few dollars each day.. The beach was sparce while kids on island were at school so expect heavy traffic on beach during the weekends.
VIP areas- we found that if you pay more you can get VIP status which (we didnt do) but looks like it might be worth it. Definately a difference of areas and status on the premisis.. (different pools, food, beach areas)
Tips- get lots of one dollar bills.. They love US dollar- You dont have to tip much but when people do things for you it felt nice to tip because staff was very very nice..

Dominican Republic People- Expect people to very friendly.. they are kind and helpful. They say over and over I am hear for you... To make your stay amazing.. Tipping will help more:-)

Banana Boat Ride- We did the ride for $10 per person... It was very fun..

Paid $5 for a fresh coconut.. (not the best taste but made for great pics) and neat experience.

Souvenirs- much cheaper on the beach.. More than half the cost and definately negotiate.. Nothing priced is what they start out saying...

Many activities at the beach (horse back riding, zip lining, etc)

Time share- you can definately avoid the time share presintation.. We were approached 1 or 2x but we avoided it like the plague.. I heard they are very expensive and persistant..

Room Tip: If you are able to do a timeshare vs hotel room might have a better room quality.. we got rooms thro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Flora G
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The resort is clean and has amazing views. I had a wonderful time sitting by the pool and on the beach beds at te V.I.P. beach. The entertainment staff at the pool were fabulous, especially Johny Bravo and Puchi. They were very friendly and fun to play games with. My best friend and I had a great time while we were there for a week. I hope togo back soon!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank BrittanyClement
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Unless you are getting an amazing and unbeatable price, I honestly would not book.
It took the staff three hours to prepare our room upon check-in after traveling for 13 hours to get to the island. There is very little English understood by the staff so it is difficult to communicate or be understood. They also want to keep a copy of your passport. which I've never had to do unless I was on a cruise ship.

The pillows are lumpy, the rooms are very plain but floors are tile. Staff is kind although cant communicate very well. The air conditioner did not work for the first two days, the lock was broken. the lock was thne repairs, but air conditioner didnt work. TV is not clear, and yes I am on an island and dont need TV but if you want to catch 5 minutes of the news, its impossible. We finally moved rooms, but I dont know what was worse, listening to the kitchen staff prepare meals in the first set of rooms, or listening to the towels and linens being dragged around on wheels in the second set of rooms. Needless to say, I was up with the staff by 6 am every morning. (They work hard!) On one day, everyone came up from the beach together because it rained, the water ran out another so I had to wait 20 minutes for the water to come back.

There is a few beaches, which you can not use unless you are a member of their facilities, and they will try to sell you a retirement/time share package.
But, the VIP beach was the saving grace of this trip. They have Free wireless and brand alcohol. Nice Coffee in the morning.
There are nice sun beds, but you need to get there before 8 am to reserve.
All other bars had island made mixers and spirits so it did not feel like there was any alcohol inside.
There was a band playing by the pool on at least on of the days, there is always some event going on by the pool, like a water aerobics class. However, every night has a different party or event. Karoke/ Singing by the pool. Party at neighboring property with professional dancing on stage. The Coliseum had a dance show two nights. These shows were very elaborate and beautiful but no one tells you where they are or when to go, so I am glad we figured out they were happening.
Some events were cancelled, but many were fun. We were there over Easter weekend, so there was an Easter egg hunt on Easter Sunday for kids and Church service too.

There were many dining options around the property but for most of them you need to book a reservation. You are guaranteed two reservations when you check in, but not your choice. You get what they give you. The day you want to dine, you can try to change or book, if something opens up.

Casablanca. Buffet breakfast. Fresh blended juices, fresh made omelets.

Brazilian restraint. Rodizio. Good wine. Meat was not bad

Bellini Italian fettuccine chicken Alfredo was good. Lobster was cut in half& grilled

Chinese restraint Indochine was ok. Good dumplings. Beef& broccoli with white rice. No fried rice.
The hotel discourages you from leaving the resort with a guide from their staff, so that they can make more money off you. We paid $60 to a cab driver who drove around with us all day and showed us the sites in Puerto Plata.
This trip overall was ok. I would never do it again even it if was free. Its one thing to not be able to help hotel guests, that's understandable. the hotel was over booked and over crowded. However, the staff could not understand why something was bothering us and kept telling us to call the person we booked through if we had complaints.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elk555
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The endless amount of pools, the clean and sandy beaches, the variety of good food, the clean rooms and efficient house keeping, the different shows, spectacular events, all beyond amazing. Lots to do for people of all ages, too! Kids clubs during the day and mini disco's in the evening for kids, night clubs and foam parties at night for middle aged visitors, and calm spas for those who want to relax. The most outstanding part of this resort though, is their team of entertainers who organize smaller events, games, and things to do throughout the day. Some of my particular favorites were Choco Choco, John Cena, Puchi, Lenny Kravitz, Johnny Bravo, and Michael Jordan. Overall, this was an amazing vacation and I will most definitely be returning again soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anastasiya D
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I needed a vacation. After contemplating on several destinations, I chose Puerto Plata. I've been to DR a few years ago. Although I am not one to travel to the same destination twice, I decided to go back there; this time, I chose a different region. I read reviews about the area, hotel, staff, experiences, etc. As a person who has travelled the world, I keep an open mind.

This was my first trip alone. I had some reservations. At the end of the day, I am glad I took the trip. From the time I arrived at the resort, I received a warm welcome. I met some great people from all over the world.

As for the resort...
-my junior suite was spacious; it was located by the beach, pool, bar and one of the many restaurants in the resort. Housekeeping did a great job keeping it tidy.
-the buffet restaurants offered a great selection and the sit-down restaurants were very good, especially JAZZ. One suggestions for the restaurants, a little less salt please :-)
-there were so many swimming pools available for the guests, it was never crowded.
-the resort was huge. It was a bit intimidating at first. In fact, I couldn't find my way back to my hotel room the first day. Luckily, they provided shuttle service. That was a huge help
-since I stayed there through my timeshare affiliate, I had additional VIP privileges which I enjoyed
-the entire staff was friendly and helpful

Most memorable moments:
- Sunday and Thursday VIP parties. Two different types of parties, but both special in their own way. The Thursday party was CRAZY fun!!!!! Kids of all ages were enjoying themselves

- The Animation Team was the best!!!! Technically, I was a Cofresi resort guest. However, I trekked over to the Tropical everyday because of the Animation Team. They entertained the guests throughout the day. They are hardworking and the friendliest, most enjoyable team. They motivated guests to join in the activities. They were approachable. They were entertaining. Special thanks for a wonderful job: John Cena, Lenny Kravitz, Michael Jordan and Banana (and the rest of the team) ....YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!! Hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo