“Nice beach, Nice Pool, great bar and shows.... if you dare to leave your room!!1”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Bricktown, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hello,
My experience with this hotel was HORRIBLE to say the least.
On the first full day I was at the resort, someone with a key came into my room and went through my luggage and STOLE EVERYTHING in my wallet. I had to cancel my credit cards and had $0 money for the trip. ($500 was all the cash i had to spend, including my money to get back home) When I reported it to guest services, security and the guest services general manager, they wrote up a report but let me know they could not take any action because "it was against Dominican law to accuse someone of stealing if I didn’t see them do it!"
Also, I was accused of losing the money and probably misplacing it somewhere. I was the victim, but they made me feel like I was a making it up. The General Manager actually said “people say they lose stuff all the time because they want something for free, are you sure you didn’t lose it yourself?”. They told me they contacted your company and the higher ups of the hotel and that I didn’t need to contact you, because you would be fully aware of the situation and the report, but I am doing this anyway because I do not believe the proper measures have been taken.
This RUINED my trip. I had no cash or credit cards to use. I could not book any excursions or buy souvenirs etc. I felt violated. I didn’t want to leave my room because I was afraid someone would come back and steal my passports or my phone etc. I was even reprimanded for not paying to use the safe in the room, however I told them I didn’t do this because when I asked for a key, the girl at the front desk said she didn’t have it and I had to come back the next day. Well it was THAT NIGHT that the incident happened. I find it very suspicious that I asked for a key, was told to come back the next day, and then that night someone goes in my room??!!?? I let the general manager know this info, and I was told by the general manager that they keys are always available and what I was telling her was incorrect and I would never be denied a key. Again, I was being told I was a liar about my information.
When they inspected my room, they said there were no signs of forced entry and they don’t see how someone could have broken in. That is when I explained that it had to of been someone with a key, and I was again told I can’t accuse the staff unless I saw it happen. My husband’s wallet was wrapped up in clothing, in the suitcase, around his underwear to be more specific and then stuffed at the bottom of the suitcase. Right before we left for dinner that night, I took out $10 for cigarettes, and re wrapped the wallet in my most secure way, as I wasn’t provided a safe. I was already on high alert by the sales pitch people and the lack of security I was offered, so I made sure I hid the wallet the best I could.
We went to dinner, came back about 2 hrs later, and went right to bed. The next morning, when I woke, I noticed the suitcase was unlocked. I asked my husband if he had gone in it already and he said no. Upon opening it up, everything appeared to be fine, but when I unwrapped the wallet from the clothing it was hidden in, I noticed it was empty. Someone came in, took the time to go through our stuff, and put it back so it wasn’t noticed. But again, I was questioned, or should I say interrogated as to why I didn’t call them the night before "if that when it really happened" said the general manager.
I didn’t notice it the night before because I didn’t go back in the suitcase when I went to bed. My pajamas were laid out on the bed already, so no need to go in the suit case, or even for the wallet for that matter.
If being paranoid from this point forward wasn’t enough, we had to ask on multiple occasions to NOT have any kind of room service, cleaning etc. Yet we had our room cleaned 2 more times while we were out, as well as a fumigator come. They had no regard to our demands. They just kept saying "oh sorry, they must have forgotten not to go in to your room." Then they brought us a bottle of champagne, and some cheese to try to make amends when I told them not to even bother because both are available at the buffet!!! They insisted on coming so my husband told them they could, but right away, while we were still in the room.
When I asked them to give me a safe for free after the constant intrusions, the response I got was "you don’t have anything left, why would we give you a free safe? If you are afraid YOU will lose your passports also, leave them with us at the front desk." I didn’t do that, because I DONT TRUST THESE PEOPLE!!! My vacation was ruined. I was violated, my trust for them was destroyed, I couldn’t leave my room, and my husband was so upset over the matter he was sick for half the trip. He couldn’t leave the room if he wanted to. We couldn’t participate in ANYTHING and every time we try to leave to eat, we rushed because we were afraid something else would happen to our passports, or phones or even our clothes if they were that desperate. I WANT A REFUND FOR THIS TRIP.
There is a lot more that happened during this trip, such as the fact that because I did not take their "tour”, which was a time share presentation, I was treated much differently than those who did take the tour, and purchase shares of the hotel. I was constantly harassed by them at the buffet each morning, when I did try to leave my room. If or when I needed anything, such as towels or my fridge to be restocked while I was in my room I was told no one was available, even though I could see housekeeping walking all around the premises. Both of my reservations for the restaurants were at 9pm. And one of them I couldn’t even go to because, they told me I wasn’t on the list, even though I brought the paper with me. I was ignored and treated as if I was below them. I was actually told that if I was a “true” VIP member, I would have a better room with a stocked mini bar, and would get better reservations and service. Since I choose not to participate, I do not get VIP service. This was told to me by the multiple guys walking around with the clipboards trying to sell you timeshares. They told me I choose not to get exceptional service. Listen, I didn’t need VIP service, I just wanted basic amenities.
My experience was horrible. I lost $500 in cash, had to cancel my credit cards, and couldn’t leave my room. I also forgot to mention the cockroaches in my room, and in my shoes, which I had the pleasure of sticking my foot into one day. The water was always cold, and the power constantly shut off. This was a problem as the TV and radio were our only source of entertainment since we could not leave our room. The list can go on and on about the many issues I dealt with at this resort, but anything beyond my break in probably sounds petty compared to the robbery that happened.

11 Thank Gloria P
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at our Tropical Hotel. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

Unfortunately, I do not remember meeting you or having dealt with any issue regarding the incidents described. We regret to hear that we could not achieve your entire satisfaction with our service and facilities.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Auburn, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2013

let me start by saying thank you to John Cena ,Lenny Craviz, Choco loco, Paul, Poochi & Micheal Jordan!! They made our first trip to the DR a very memorable one. Many laughs & memories were made pool side with great friends and new friends met at the resort. These gentlemen made the entertainment fun and enjoyable. the water aerobics were professional and fun great way to kick off a day at the pool! I found myself asking many questions to these guys I would see them working the entire day from sun up to sun down as entertainers were filled with various roles. Made me realize what a different world I live in and how simple things in life we Americans take advantage off. I need to recognize my friend Carlos he was an exceptional waiter who made our dining experience a terrific one!! Angel who put a smile on my girlfriends face a mile long!! The beach party (vip) was the best part of this trip! Hats off to the staff and resort for throwing an amazing party Sunday night with first class entertainment! They all deserve a 5 star review!! Thank you again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lwilsonrealty
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa as the hotel to enjoy your vacation. We are very glad to read that you had a great vacation and we will congratulate our animation and food & beverage staff about your nice comments regarding them.

We hope to see you back soon in our lovely hotel.

Best regards,

Alaska, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was in the DR January of 2013. Very much enjoyed the resort, the spa, the gym and the variety of restaurants . The VIP beach was excellent- Anabel and Hector serving up some wonderful drinks and smiles. Marion in the lobby bar was always there with a smile and assistance with my attempts at Spanish. Overall I had a great stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PJones11
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was our first trip to the Tropical Resort, but I don't think it will be our last. There were just the two of us, i.e., no children, and so we received a regular hotel room a bit smaller than we expected as accommodation, but it was comfortable. We were guaranteed reservations at the Mexican and Indian food restaurants, which we really enjoyed. The food at the buffet was generally good, especially breakfasts. We took several tours arranged through the resort: the city tour which took us on a cable car up the mountain for a fantastic view; the challenging waterfalls climb and jumping, and the day trip on the 70 foot catamaran. However, I have to agree with other reviewers that what made this holiday an outstanding experience was the staff. The waiters and waitresses were warm and attentive. Meritze, our housekeeping staff, was helpful and diligent in trying to keep us well stocked with the things we needed. We were really impressed with the Animation team. They have amazing energy, were always upbeat and were absolutely dedicated to seeing that everyone participated and had fun, whether at the pool for aqua-cize; at the volleyball court playing games; or learning fun Latin dances. This same group was also involved with the nightly shows and entertainment, usually participating on stage with the dancers and singers; followed by facilitating fun at the disco until the wee hours. This talented, athletic group included "Lenny Kravitz"; "Michael Jordan"; "Johnny Bravo"; Choco Choco and others. In particular, we will never forget the image of Lenny Kravitz at Spanish lesson, with a pencil stuck in what the team called his "pineapple hair"; or in his football outfit, complete with helmet and neon framed sunglasses at the pool, and his engaging style on the microphone calling out the latest activities and winners. There were many memorable moments, some more positive than others during our two weeks at the resort, but it was clearly the staff who made our vacation a great experience.

2 Thank Leslie G
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for your kind comments. Your feedback will provide motivation and confidence to keep working to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.

Best regards,

Auburn, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Muchos Gracias to the exceptional entertainment staff members who made my 1st time vacation to the DR a great one. I traveled with a group of friends from Central NY to celebrate a friends birthday in what turned out to be a great time despite a few bumps on check in. It is the 1st class employees that are the V.I.P. of this resort. It is with pleasure to give these employees a well deserved 5 star review : John Cena for the DAILY aerobics & professional multitasker ability to just make everyday of your stay great.. AHHH...AHHH...AHHH...WOW! Kudos out to Lenny Craviz & Paull for all the hugs, love & entertainment that "sugar mama" loved. Gracias to Carlos@ Casablanca & Angel & the entire staff @ Indochine. The shows at the pool & colosseum & V.I.P beach party are broadway at it's best. Thanks for a great week!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Joanne927
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen our Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa. We appreciate that you took the time to express your experience in tripadvisor.com. We would like to thank you for your nice comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Lodi, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at cofresi palm beach resort one month ago..We were so happy there! Everything was perfect; the hotel was clean, the workers are very polite; the foods are delicious! the hotel view was so nice; the beaches; the pools are clean. There was two beaches and they're not far from hotel. there was many pool bar and bars have a lot of kind of drinks. The Dominican Republic people were happy, friendly and helpful. If you decide to go to this hotel you'll be happy and satisfied there..Usually I can not eat any food but I ate there most foods.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side